Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Turn and Face the Strange [DragonSong]

Started by MadEmperor, January 18, 2023, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Kahroan had felt different ever since he awoke the day after acquiring the brooch. Something had spoken to him in a dream he could not remember, and he woke feeling like his body was a cage. His soul seemed too much for his human flesh. Soon after, nothing fit quite right. It was as if he were just a little taller, a little larger. He took to wearing a cloak to hide the tattered clothing that would get him mistaken for a street bum. He felt even lower than before.

He moved down an alley like a rat, trying to avoid crowds as he made his way to the edge of town. He had to leave before the price he was paying attracted the wrong attention. He knew he was changing, becoming something more. His reverie was broken when he found his path blocked.

The man looked like a thief, and the assessment proved true as he drew a knife. His eyes glinted dully in the subdued daylight of the dreary day. "Well, hello, big man. Do yourself a favor and hand over whatever valuables you may have."

Kahroan turned, only to find a second mugger waiting.

"Tut, tut. How rude, trying to simply ignore the needy. And boy do we need money," the thief chastised, stepping closer.

Kahroan drew himself up to his full height, a growl in his throat as he turned to face the talkative thief. "You can't have it. It's mine."

"What was that? I think you fail to understand who's calling the shots here." The thief flashed an insincere smile. "Now let's see what you have for us."

As the thief reached for his cloak, Kahroan shot a hand out to grab the man by the wrist. The man screamed, dropping the knife; taloned fingers dug into his flesh as the Yoreiqi's grip tried to crush his bones. Kahroan let go and punched his assailant in the ribs, sending him stumbling backward. The thief fell on the cobblestones with a pained grunt.

"You son of a bitch!"  The other thief rushed forward and stabbed Kahroan in the side, the blade glancing off of something under the fabric and nicking the lacerating next to it.

With a slightly inhuman roar of pain, backhanding the man into the nearby wall. He pressed him against the wall in an arm lock, snarling in his ear. "You are going to regret that."

The screams of pain that followed echoed through the back streets and was bound to draw attention. By the time anyone came to investigate, Kahroan was shambling away clutching his side.

DragonSong

It wasn't like she was unused to the scent of blood. But honestly, when she wasn't on a job--was it so much to ask that the universe lighten up a little?

Apparently so.

She might not have thought much of it, honestly--it was more common than most people assumed to smell blood in the clusters of people that congregated in cities and towns, even smaller, typically more peaceful ones like Cerenis--but then there was the screaming. It was noticeable enough that she knew even more human-level senses would have picked it up.

Not my problem, she told herself firmly, really trying to just continue on her way out of town. Not. My. Problem.

But then, either by coincidence or because she was subconsciously following the smell, she found the trail of blood.

Well...damn.

"Fuck me," she muttered, breaking into a jog as she began following the trail out of town.

MadEmperor

The trail of blood led her through the backstreets to one of the roads out of town. A small trail to begin with, it had progressively thinned out until it ended just as she reached the road. But the unwieldy gait was obvious, having left clear marks in the dirt. It was as if whoever was wounded was wearing shoes one size too small. 

The trail turned off the road near a mill house. Not the best place to hide, but not the worst. Considering the clear trail, they weren't trying particularly hard. Either that or they weren't thinking clearly. 

DragonSong

River followed the trail as far as she could see it, and when that failed, she followed her nose. The shuffling footsteps were certainly a tell, but it was easier to track by scent the further she got from town.

Carefully, she approached the mill house. Alright. All she knew was there had been a fight--she didn't know who had limped off, the perpetrator or the victim. Either way, the person was clearly injured.

"Hello?" she called, cautiously drawing closer to the halfway open door. "Look, I know you're in there. This doesn't have to get messy."

MadEmperor

The only sounds that came back to her were the movement of the mill itself and the slightly labored breathing of her quarry. The smell, however, told her something unusual was going on; she could smell odors of human and dragon mixed together but could sense only one occupant. Half-dragons certainly existed, but the smell was more both separately but occupying the same space. 

DragonSong

Gods above.

What was that?

"...Hello?" River tried again, though she didn't try to move passed the doorway. She wanted a clear escape route, if it came to that. "Can—can you hear me? Do...you understand me?"

MadEmperor

"Leave me be. I've hurt no one who didn't strike first, but I may yet."

The statement sounded less like a threat and more like a warning. The voice itself was human eough, but rough at the edges. 

DragonSong

River shuffled her feet, hesitating. She could just walk away—this really wasn't her problem.

But if she'd found the trail, someone else would too. Probably sooner than later. And if this—this person was telling the truth, then they were likely to just wind up in an even worse mess when the locals came.

"Alright." She took a careful step inside the mill house. "I believe you. But it seems like you're hurt, and you're probably not getting out of here in your own—not easily, anyway."

MadEmperor

The figure inside was wrapped in a hooded cloak that bulged in the back from a pack or perhaps a pair of wings. His eyes shone within the darkness of the hood, slitted pupils within brown eyes that bled to an icy blue at the edges.

"St-stay back." Kahroan surprised himself with the way he had growled like a cornered beast. He didn't want to hurt people who had done nothing to him, but it was difficult to properly identify what was a threat.

To River, he sounded like a confused animal dropped into an unfamiliar environment. A new werecreature, perhaps?

DragonSong

"Easy, mate." River froze in place, all too familiar with the wariness of a hunted animal. She raised her hands slightly, cocking her head at the stranger. "I'm not here to hurt you. Not unless you give me reason, alright?"

She didn't move closer, but she crouched slightly, bringing herself closer to his level. "What's your name?"

MadEmperor

His wariness eased just a little. She seemed genuinely concerned. Of course, he had been fooled by false kindness before. In his experience, mainlanders weren't particularly trustworthy. But this one smelled different; since when could he smell anything like that?

"Kahroan." His voice had the tone of someone who had gotten used to not trusting anyone. "What do you want?"

DragonSong

River spread her hands wide, showing that she was unarmed. Well. She was never entirely unarmed, but as close as she ever came to it.

"Mostly I just wanted to know what happened back there," she replied honestly, shrugging. "Name's River, by the way. How'd you wind up here, Kahroan?"

MadEmperor

"I traded with the wrong merchant." He—" No, if he told her about his treasure, she'd want to take it. But maybe she should; it had only brought him trouble. No! It was his!

"They tried to rob me. I was only defending myself," he said, changing the subject slightly.

DragonSong

"Okay." She cocked her head at him, trying to parse through the odd signals she was getting from his scent as subtly as she could. "These robbers--did they want...whatever it is you traded for? From this merchant?"

Definitely dragon. Sea and sky, too, but that she thought was just part of his scent. The draconic element--that was fresher. Newer. Not quite a part of him. Not yet.

Gods. What in all hells had he got himself into?

MadEmperor

"They tried to kill me for it. I don't... No. You can't have it either." It sounded like he was suffering from the dragon's lust for treasure, and the instinct was overpowering.

He suddenly groaned in pain, grabbing his head with his hands. Now that they were exposed, she could see that his fingers had grown draconic claws. Dark, slightly grayish blue scales had grown along the back of his fingers and hands. They were on his arms too.

DragonSong

"Listen, I don't wanna take anything from you-" River started to protest. Then she saw his hands, the scales.

"Shit," she breathed. "Fuck, mate, are—does that hurt?"

Shifting had never hurt her, but she had been born with the ability; she got the feeling that was certainly not the case here.

MadEmperor

Kahroan nodded. "Everything hurts. I... I don't know what's happening to me. It's like my body isn't mine anymore."

Then she saw the loose, silver-blue feathers gathering where he was sitting. And, also, the bloody spot on his cloak, around a ragged cut in the fabric. He had been stabbed.

DragonSong

"Alright." River could smell the blood—she'd been following the trail, but the scent of it still hung around him like a haze. So he was still bleeding. "Alright, just...take it easy, yeah? You're hurt."

She took a cautious step closer. "Can I see?"

MadEmperor

Kahroan was afraid to let anyone see more, to know for himself what was becoming of his body. Yet the rational part of him didn't want to die from an untreated wound either.

He nodded, opening his cloak but keeping his face hidden. His bloodstained workshirt was tattered from his growth spurt and did nothing to hide the patches of scales all over his legs and torso. His front scales were the same silver-blue as the lost feathers from the wings she could just make out tucked behind him. They were losing feathers quickly, clearly in the process of transforming into draconic wings.

The wound itself was a ragged gash. The knife had glanced harmlessly off of a patch of scales and left a nasty gouge in the flesh next to it. It was healing, but it hadn't quite stopped bleeding.

"I'm becoming some sort of dragon, aren't I?" The brooch-turned-amulet around his neck seemed to pulse with a faint red light as he acknowledged what was happening.

DragonSong

River hissed in a quiet breath as she got a better look at him—him, not the wound, because while it was certainly still bleeding, all told it could've been much worse.

The rest of him...

Well.

"I—I don't know." She shuffled a little closer, sniffing at the air around him. "I mean—damn. It sure looks like it..."