Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Chance Meeting (MadEmperor)

Started by Saber, January 21, 2023, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber

It was a warm day at the massive camp. Wearing a brown traveler's cloak over herself Meeta sat by the fire amongst dozens of others. Devouring a small loaf of bread the Essnyri proceeded to drink ale from her wooden cup. Sighing Meeta glanced around, noting humans, orcs and several species just minding their own affairs or hanging out with one another.

I was fortunate to go to that cavern. Now we made it to these mountains and more people are joining us. Not to mention making a deal with the local tribe of orcs and trolls here.

Drinking more of the ale Meeta then stared into the fire. As a child growing up in slavery she sometimes dreamed of what it would be like to travel the world. Closing both eyes, Meeta shook her head.

So much has changed since then...including me.

MadEmperor

"You know, when I saw this many people, I expected a party!" boomed a larger-than-life voice full of mirth and spirit.

An imposing figure emerged from the group's outskirts. He was taller than any human and covered in reddish-brown fur. He was, in fact, a Gnoll. Yet his savage visage was offset by lightly armored garb of a traveling bard.

"I see nor hear any such thing! But worry not! The great Thrax is here!" He gave his odd axe-lute a strum, filling the air with an invigorating thrum as he stepped nearer to the fire.

He played an energetic tune and sang a song of epic battle and heroes long buried, a song of victory and celebration. His voice was rough, but also smooth, well suited to raising the morale of weary travelers.

"Now somebody give me a beat!" he said, pausing to chug some ale.

Saber

Meeta sat back and looked on as she listened. Despite Gnoll's fearsome appearance he actually sings quite well. Placing the cup down she crossed her arms over the chest and stayed silent in the midst of the melodies. It did feel her soul felt less burdened than before. At the bard's request there was a brief pause before one of the mountain Orcs started beating on a drum.

"Looks like things are about to get lively." The Essnyri whispered to herself.

MadEmperor

Thrax wiped his mouth with his sleeve and rudely belched. Then he began singing again, playing an ever more intense verse as he capered about. He encouraged those gathered to join in and chant along.

At the end, he went into a wild instrumental segment that rolled over the crowd with a sound none gathered had heard before. It was loud and rough and absolutely exhilarating, the electric air becoming quite literal as arcs danced between the strings.

He ended with a flourish, theatrically sinking to his knees. Breathing heavily, his voice and instrument fell silent. "Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all night!" He grinned presumptuously, sharp teeth gleaming in the firelight.

Saber

At the end of the song many in the crowd cheered, whistled and clapped. As for Meeta she simply nodded in approval. He has a gift. Subsequently she stood up and walked over to the nearby tent where they serve the ale. Yet just as the Essnyri did so she bumped someone larger who was getting up...

MadEmperor

The tall orcish woman glared down at Meeta as if she were an annoying bug. She sneered angrily, sizing her up as she growled something in orcish. It wasn't kind.

"You'll watch where you're going if you know what's good for you, little human." She said it with loathing for all she deemed weak.

Thrax, meanwhile, began a second lively number. Albeit, one requiring fewer theatrical antics. Gotta save that for last.

Saber

Initially taken aback Meeta's eyes then narrowed. While it had been accident she certainly didn't like how the Orc looked and talked down to her. It reminded Meeta of her days as a slave. Scowling she fired back.

"I'll go where I please fang-face!"

Placing both hands on her hips she added. "Unless you made to make something of it how about you piss off."

Next to Thrax a middle aged dwarf with blond hair and beard nudged him before pointing at the Orc and Meeta.

"Looks like we're going to have extra entertainment."

MadEmperor

Thrax grinned, upping the tempo to make it a fight song. This was going to be fun. Maybe he should challenge the winner.

"Fight!" someone called out, making the orc woman smile fearsomely.

"What a fantastic idea." The orc sneered and threw a heavy punch. She was quick for an orc and just as strong as one would expect.

Saber

She managed to block the punch with both hands barely in time but the sudden blow knocked Meeta several meters. The Essnyri winced from the pain but became excited as well. She cast aside the traveler's cloak, revealing her fighting gear that was underneath before getting into a defensive stance. Cheers and shouts rang out in the crowd with people already taking bets.

Laughing at how the Gnoll bard started playing a fight song his new dwarf associate commented.

"That orc is the chieftain's daughter and she loves to fight."

MadEmperor

"My kind of women!" Thrax paused his singing to holler.

The orc took an aggressive stance that showed she was taking the challenge more seriously. With a gleam in her eyes that the bard knew well, she came at Meeta with quick jab designed more to test her opponent's reflexes than do any real damage.

Saber

At the jab Meeta ducks down evading it before jabbing back twice toward the orc's stomach.

Laughing some more the small merchant slapped his knee then declare.

"I bet ten sliver coins that the human doesn't last more than a few minutes against her."

MadEmperor

The orc wasn't as fast as Meeta, but she was just as capable of dodging light jabs. She had an advantage in reach, though. So now that the shorter human was close enough for jabs, the orc sent a potentially devastating haymaker towards her head.

Thrax's eyes carefully observed the fight, nodding to himself. "I'll take that action," he said between verses with a smirk.

Saber

Meeta managed to get her head away from the haymaker. Yet the punch struck her in the left arm. The human cried out as if a hammer landed. Immediately she retaliated with a spinning kick toward the back of the orc's legs in hopes of knocking her rival down.

"How much money and how long the human lasts?" The dwarf asked Thrax.

MadEmperor

"Twenty silver for... let's say two minutes. Never underestimate the smaller fighter." It was more of a wish than any kind of intuition on his part to see the smaller win. He certainly usually lost against other Gnolls.

The orc fell to her knees. She quickly recovered and fell the rest of the way so that she could roll to the side and avoid the follow-up strike. She immediately moved to pop back up to her feet...

Saber

With a battle cry Meeta charged after the orc. She leaped and attempted to kick her in the back with both feet.

The dwarf nodded, agreeing to the bet. "I'm Ulric Renson by the way. What's your name bard?"

MadEmperor

The orc staggered forward, her muscular bulk absorbing enough the impact to keep her on her feet. She regained her footing and rounded on her with a roar. She lowered her stance and charged, arms bracing for a grappling maneuver.

"My name is Thraxion Swordbreaker,
And this instrument is called Stormsong,
I travel the realm singing songs for the people,
And you won't have those coins very long."

Thrax smirked at the dwarf, clearly with good cheer.

Saber

Meeta had managed to roll up. Yet just as she did the orc came at her. Arms locked she was pushed back several meters before stopped. She grappled with the orc before attempting to slam her knee repeatedly toward the orc's face.

Ulfric shook his head, utterly amused at the gnoll's antics.

MadEmperor

The orc hadn't expected Meeta to remain standing after her charge. So, she wasn't prepared for the attack; there was a satisfying crunch as the knee connected with her nose. A more fragile race would quite possibly have died from a sliver of bone in the brain. The orc merely stumbled back in a daze, blindly striking at anything that moved.

Thrax booed. "C'mon, you sexy beast! You have to last until two minutes or I don't win anything!"

Saber

Taking a moment to catch her breath Meeta briefly considered what to do next as the orc lashed out blindly. Then she charged and attempted kick the orc in the head with both feet.

MadEmperor

The orc's jaw went sideways, teeth flying as she spun. She crashed to the ground in a heap. The crowd was stunned for a long moment by the unexpected victory before breaking out into a cheer.

"Well, well, well," Thrax said smugly, holding out a large hand for the coins, "Looks like bigger isn't always better."