Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Chance Meeting (MadEmperor)

Started by Saber, January 21, 2023, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber

Forcing herself up Meeta then raised her hands in victory. However, short it was the fight had actually turned out to be rather fun despite the circumstances. Looking over to the cheering crowd she declared.

"If fangs ever wants a rematch she'll know where to find me."

Deciding that she wasn't thirsty Meeta sat down just as an utterly shocked Ulric handed Thrax the coins as agreed upon. The Essnyri snorted and said.

"Didn't think I had someone betting on me to win."

MadEmperor

The gnoll filled his coin pouch with a satisfied grin before looking at Meeta.

"I know talent when I see it." He was bluffing, but unless she was good at reading beast races, she probably couldn't tell. "You didn't disappoint."

Saber

Meeta shrugged her shoulders. "I have plenty of years in the fight pits in my homeland. Though admittedly if I didn't daze her with those knees she probably would've gotten me."

Ulric nodded in agreement. "True and the chieftain's daughter might challenge you again some-point this week when she recovers. So you might want to be ready for that."

Subsequently the Essnyri turned her full attention to the Gnoll.

"You from Adela?"

MadEmperor

"That depends on whether you think of the Serhan gnoll clanfolk as Adelan. Heck, most Adelans think we're one savage horde out to eat their children."

"I mean, some of us did, but that practice died out generations ago. My clan..." He grew momentarily distant, but his spirits quickly returned. "... never ate of other races."

Saber

Realizing she accidentally struck a nerve Meeta grimace.

"Well I never met any of Gnoll until now. To be honest I didn't expect one to be bard yet you proved me wrong."

MadEmperor

He laughed in the telltale hyena-like manner of his people.

"Well, I am one of a kind." He grinned merrily. "But I honestly didn't expect to be a bard either. Life had other plans."

"But, I love doing it more than anything." There was a sense of joy and pride in the way he talked about it. Yet, at the same time, a tinge of loss and loneliness.

Saber

She nodded respecting his passion for the path he now followed. Taking a moment to herself Meeta confessed.

"Fighting like I just did minutes ago makes me feel alive. As a child I never expected I would become the woman I am now yet it happened all the same."

MadEmperor

"You're no stranger to battle. A gnoll can tell."

Thrax looked her over again with a grin, but there was no lust in his eyes. At least, not for the flesh. "You know... between you, me, and all the other dangerous characters around here, we could have us a tournament."

Saber

Raising an eyebrow she paused for a moment before finding herself nodding. "Interesting. How would it be done?"

Clearing his throat Ulric the dwarf interjected.

"I can provide some financial assistance to this endeavor as long as I get a share in the profits."

MadEmperor

"See?" He beamed. "It's already coming together."

"And yours truly can be the announcer unless I'm knocked out. Because, if we do this, I am not missing out on the action."

Saber

Meeta found herself chuckling. She was excited at the prospect.

"Count me in then. But we're going to need to find a spot for this tournament. Either make some kind of ring or find a suitable pit."

MadEmperor

"We're in the mountains, there are potential arenas everywhere. I even saw something  on my way here that could work, just downhill." He was already working out the finishing touches in his head. If there's one thing gnolls know, it's contests of strength. That, and improvised weaponry.

"I can handle that if one of you can convince some people to sign up."

Saber

"Oh I can take care of that." Declared Ulric who quickly added. "I have quite the number of clients including Torez the local chieftain."

Meeta folded her arms across the chest in thought. Then she asked a new question.

"So what will be the combat rules? Or just have anything goes in the arena?"

MadEmperor

Thrax tapped his chin, gazing thoughtfully at a distant thunderstorm illuminating the peaks.

"No killing or maiming. And," he said, sighing as if pained, "Surrender should be an option, I guess."

Saber

"Fair enough. The mages can heal the fighters afterwards." Meeta remarked before getting up. "See you two tomorrow." With that she took her leave.

MadEmperor

The following day, Thrax went down to the location he had scouted. It was a large platform of stone formed when a rock outcropping broke off and rolled down the slope, only to lodge itself between the rocks in a surprisingly level position.

He stepped onto it carefully to test its stability. When it didn't tilt, he paced around the perimeter. Nothing happened. So he jumped up and down on it. Still nothing. Satisfied, he went around cleaning off the accumulated debris.

"Argh! This is taking too long!" Impatient, he took out his trusty Stormsong and played a quick ditty that ended with a mighty —

CRACK-THOOM!!!

A crack of thunder heralded a cone of force that swept the platform clean. Luckily, there was no rockslid do dampen the moment. He grinned wide, for he so loved doing that.

Saber

"Not bad, not bad at all." Meeta commented as she approached the newly established platform. Giving the spot another examination the Essnyri then turned back to the Gnoll.

"You're full of surprises Thrax."

MadEmperor

"Bard. Warrior. Mage. Amazing idea guy. Yeah, I am pretty great." He smirked proudly with a musical flourish that made electricity dance along Stormsong's blade. Of course, the instrument did most of the magic, but she didn't need to know that.

Nor did anyone need to know how lonely he really was. He loved his life as a bard but would give it up in a heartbeat if it meant his clan could live again.

"How goes the hunt for fighters?"

Saber

She rolled her eyes with amusement at his theatrics. At his question Meeta glanced back toward the camp before replying.

"Ulric been promoting this event as soon as dawn came. He must be really smell profit with all this...heh."

Looking back to Thrax she continued.

"Several adventurers and mercenaries have already signed up. The local orc tribe is definitely coming with their warriors."

MadEmperor

"Great! This is going to work."

He thought for a moment.

"What about that big troll? I'd pay to see him fight."