Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Weapons, Magic, Gold and the Shop

Started by Nam, December 19, 2012, 01:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

Greetings. I am a new member (obviously) and I'm interested in this little RP Forum you've got here. :P

Mainly, I've just got a few questions regarding to the title. I wanted to know whether there were some kind of system for obtaining or possessing weapons and magic abilities, since I can't really find an answer anywhere... Let me explain.

I noticed everyone possessed "Gold" as currency, but I couldn't find a shop. I found the shop when I registered, but the items were a bit disappointing to be honest. I was expecting a variety of swords, axes, wands, etc. Which we would purchase with our hard earned Gold and use them in fights. So I wanted to know how everything works here. Can I just randomly pick any weapon I want and claim to have it from the get go?

What about Magic? I wasn't expecting to have to buy Magic, but I was expecting some kind of currency like AP (Ability Point) or SP (Skill Point) which we would earn similar to Gold but use it to obtain certain already made skills, which would be stored in a database. I haven't witnessed this either, which leads me to believe we just make up any kind of attack we want and we can have any amount of magic attacks and any kind of weapon -as long as we have a logical background to support it.

Honestly, I find this disappointing. Even though story is very important, I'm used to a system of role-playing in which we gain from our threads and then we'd use those earnings to enhance our characters (not referring stats). It provides a sense of fulfillment in ones characters. In short, I was pretty much looking for a more RPG-style without all the stats and numbers.

Anyway, I'm not trying to insult or criticize this forum in any way. I just wanted to make it clear what I was looking for and whether this exists or not. Regardless, everything seems to be set-up very well and I might stick around despite not having what I expected.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. Is it possible that someone could provide some kind of list with already made attacks, spells or techniques? Or will I really have to make it all up?

Also -to the admins- is it possible that you might consider adding what I have just described into the game? I'm not asking for everyone to adapt to me, I'm asking if everyone thinks they might enjoy such a system with weapons and spells.

visualspice

I'm not an admin or anything, but this is a free play rp-
It's not DnD, so it works like if you were writing a story (developing a story through interactions, adventures you create, etc) not rolling a dice and building up stats.

As a player, you have a lot of flexibility in the rp that way- and if you *wanted* to make yourself up a stat system, you technically could- but from what I've been experiencing in this rp (as well as my own and others I've participated in)- it goes off of the more 'novel' approach, where you and your partners pit together and post back and forth to develop a fun world of drama, adventure and well... fun :)  (though don't hold me tot he fact you can create your own stats XD I think the forum isn't designed for things like that, again, that stuff is more for MMOs or rps you have structured their forums that way)

As in, this is a world with an outline created for you to dump your characters into and play in a more sand box like fashion.
You create your characters, their rules, and YOU go about finding partners and the likes to rp with who would be a good match :)  You control your own story and destiny (and again, bare in mind the pre-created setting for this world. There are rules that explain this all, so I won't bore you with the details when the rules are there :)   

I honestly never understood why people wanted to stick to stats outside of dice type games, but to each their own :)  (If you find good writers, you don't need to be confined to stats)

Again, this world is as big as your imagination is- (so long as you know, you don't break any rules) X3

I've run games myself, very similar to this one, so, so long as you're happy with making up your own shops and stuff along th eway (so long as they make sense to the locations you are placing them within), then everyone can stay on the same page as far as making stories and memories together 'in game play' :)

I'm sure an admin can enlighten you more into the details- but I think you're getting distracted by the idea of gold and the like.  This isn't a game for stats. That's what MMO's are for. This is, more or less, a story, and stories dont' fall prey to stats :)  Use your imagination. You want a fire wielder and want to make up a list of fire spells he can wield? That's great :D
Again, I beleive this place has thrived based on it's ability to give the player a lot of freedom to work with in creating their world and the characters they play~

I think this is all summed up here:
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/regulations.php

but again, an admin can probably help you much better than I :3
And they can also correct me if I'm wrong XD

-the spicy

PS- Hope this helps!

I'm sure Rhi and Tally will be able to enlighten you more appropriately <3 <3
but I hope you stick around, the game is SOOOO much fun :3
X3 and welcome to the rp!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Heya there! And welcome!

The shop is currently not running, though once it is, players will be able to use their gold to purchase OOC items! :3 Like graphics, sprites, art, pixel art, and other fun and nifty things we think up. Of course, due to the holidays and general busyness and such, it'll be a bit before we get the shop running. ^^ It's very new!

However, what the shop will never be is a place where IC items and IC benefits can be purchased! All items are for the players and will never be for the characters. :3

Basically, we don't believe in making players buy items for their characters to use in their stories, as we don't feel that makes much sense! xD Players can give their characters whatever items, spells, and abilities they think makes sense for their characters and stories, and the staff here has always taken a pretty hands-off approach to RP, giving players control of their stories and characters without micromanaging. :3 If they play a knight that wants to go buy a new sword, they don't need to use the gold they've earned through posting to do it--they can just have their knight buy a sword in their thread and decide for themselves if he has enough to purchase it. I'm not going to tell them they can't!

Players have complete and total control over their characters and the shop system will never be used in an in-character way. It's just a fun out of character extra, is all. ;D

So no, we'll never have a points system on the game, no AP, no XP, no HP, nothing. It's just not something we're interested in, and not something that is in the spirit of the particular community we run. Players all decide that stuff for their own characters based on what makes sense to them. We would also never want to give players IC benefits over others or limit what people can create based on how many posts they write!

We're also not a very combat-based game, and though fights and battles happen, players tend to collaborate on those and go with what'll make for the most fun in their thread! ^^ Sometimes it's more fun to have your character lose, sometimes it benefits the thread more to have a character win, etc! Play is very collaborative rather than competitive here.

So that said, we have no list of spells or attacks. You can come up with your own, as they make sense for your characters. :3
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Paradox

There isn't much I can say that has not already been explained.

Just give it a shot, Nam. If you choose to write with fun and responsible individuals then you might very well find this style of roleplay to be quite enjoyable (if you enjoy creative writing, that is!). It's always fun to try something new, eh?

I do hope the responses that you received here have not discouraged you. This truly is a magnificent community and you'd be missing much if you chose to turn your back on it. There are a lot of talented writers here too. I'm not one of them, but I've found many threads here a joy to read.

Nam

I want to thank all of you for taking your time to answer. I just want to clarify that, visualspice, although I appreciate your response, it wasn't exactly what I was asking. ><"

I mentioned in my first post that I wasn't talking about stats and I certainly wasn't trying to hint at HP and MP bars. Regardless, my question has been answered either way and I thank you all for doing so. You don't have to explain it to me though cause I know how sand-box RPs work and I'm in another one as well.

I was just looking for something a bit more limited, compared to what I play on my other site but I think it'll work either way.

I'll give this forum a shot then. ;P

visualspice

CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao