Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Draconic Study [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, February 22, 2023, 04:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"I'm glad." She smirked and rocked up to kiss his cheek, adding playfully, "I'm enjoying it too."

She dropped back onto her heels and read a few of the postings, "hmmm"ing with consideration. "We could definitely use the coin... I wonder if there's any job that would point us back north—I don't work in Adela often."

MadEmperor

Kah smiled as he studied the board with her. His eyes locked on one in particular.

Quote from: PosterWanted!

50 Silver Crowns
Einrond Validor - Half-Elf
Wanted for murder and banditry.
Last seen operating near Riverglen.

"That's... uh... quite the bounty. He must be dangerous. Or angered someone with disposable income." He seemed perplexed by something. "How has nobody taken this already?"

DragonSong

River frowned at the poster. "In my experience...that usually means everyone who's tried either gave up, or didn't make it back to collect the reward," she said softly.

MadEmperor

Kahroan frowned. "Maybe something less risky then. We don't need a big payday."

He went back to looking, overlooking the fact that the others probably didn't have a dragon with them.

DragonSong

"Maybe..." River considered, nodding her head from side to side. "But—well, it doesn't hurt to have the extra coin. And if we decide the job is too dangerous we can always drop it—they're not asking for a contract."

She bumped her shoulder into his lightly. "Up to you, but I do rather think we have an edge on most solo bounty hunters. Aside from the fact that there's two of us," she chuckled.

MadEmperor

"Oh?" Kahroan looked at her, puzzled for a moment before he smirked. "Oh! Right, dragon."

He chuckled awkwardly. "Let's do it. We'll have to take the slow way. But if we get impatient, I can start learning how to shift back and forth."

The man gently leaned against her, rumbling lovingly. "Slow is all I want right now. "

DragonSong

She grinned and trenched out to lace her fingers through his with one hand, snatching the poster from the board with the other. "Slow seems just fine to me."

Her stomach grumbled and she laughed. "Slow, and maybe some breakfast. Let's see if anyone around here is making anything good." They could gather more information on the job while they were at it.

MadEmperor

Closer to Ketra, they found a classier tavern than the one attached to the inn, but not so classy that they couldn't find some information on the job. According to the man behind the bar, Validor was a notorious bandit terrorizing the road between Riverglen and Serendipity that passed through Draconi Forest with his nameless gang. Several bounty hunters had never taken the job but none returned. Even a team of three wasn't enough. He recommended expanding their party, even if Kahroan claimed to be a full-on dragon.

"Validor certainly sounds like a nasty character, especially if that information has made its way all the way over to Ketra."

DragonSong

"Mmm." River nodded as she turned over the new information in her mind. "Do you think we should spend the time trying to find a proper team?"

Before Kahroan, she had most often worked alone; she didn't oppose the idea of a team on principle, but bounty hunters tended to be a...suspicious lot. At the best of times. It was difficult to form lasting relationships.

MadEmperor

Kah made a thoughtful sound. "With that reward, we'll probably come across someone on the way. Unless you have the connections in Ketra we'd need to find someone."

He didn't actually know much about how bounty hunters found each other. Was there a guild? Did they just randomly bump into each other?

DragonSong

She shook her head. "I don't work in Adela enough to have any real contacts here. Seems like we need to do some recon."

She tapped her fingers against the table. "And it probably wouldn't hurt to stock up on some decent gear... After all, if we're going to find tools for a dragon to use anywhere, it's here, right?"

MadEmperor

"Right." He nodded, rumbling thoughtfully. "And I did lose my spear."

He grinned excitedly. "Besides, I've never been to Ketra. The barracks hardly count."

DragonSong

"Honestly, I've really only ever spent time in the city outskirts." She matched his smile. "Well. I suppose we'd better be off soon--I'm sure we'll be able to find a few people interested in splitting the reward."

MadEmperor

Once in the city, Kahroan found himself awestruck by the sheer number of people filling the streets. He had stuck to the coast, and even Cerenis paled in comparison to the grandeur of a national capitol. It was a fresh jolt of culture shock to the islander, who had been raised in a small village in a small nation. It wouldn't surprise him in the least if the entire population of Yoreiq could fit in Ketra with room to spare.

"How... How can there be so many people?" he asked, eyes wide.

DragonSong

River chuckled, feeling the culture shock second-hand; she has been just as startled the first time she entered a large human city—Reajh, in her case.

"Search me. I've never understood how people can stand living on top of one another like this." Despite how big her family was, her home had never felt crowded to her in the way cities did. There was always space to run in the mountains, even if the house itself was filled to the seams.

MadEmperor

"It's almost obscene." He said it almost disbelievingly. After his few months at the pack cabin, he felt much the same way as his mate. "I'll be happy when we conclude our business and get back under the open sky."

"Should we go to an armorer or a weaponsmith first? Though a spear is less important as I have these claws, not to mention there's no enchantment I know of to keep one with me when I shift."

DragonSong

"Perhaps we should find someone who caters to your, ah, specific requirements?" River suggested after a moment of thought. "If anyone is likely to know how to kit out a dragon shifter, it'd be an Adelan smith, right?"

MadEmperor

"Right." He nodded, feeling foolish for not thinking of that. Though he supposed he was still very new to dragonhood. "That makes sense."

That was the most appealing thing about large cities—there was no shortage of businesses serving specific needs. It took them a while, but eventually they found an armorer and enchanter who did work for shifting dragons. The bell above the door made a cheery sound as the couple made their way inside.

The apprentice at the counter couldn't be more than sixteen. He hopped to his feet and stepped out to greet them with excited eyes. "Welcome! The smith is working the forge at present, but I can help you. Except with, you know, actually making you something." He chuckled nervously. "You... look like the type to be here for a custom job."

DragonSong

River glanced at her might with a sideways smile at the boy's observation. "I suppose you do, love," she chuckled good-naturedly. Looking back to the apprentice, she added, "How often do you...do this sort of work I'll admit we're a bit...inexperienced in this department."

MadEmperor

"Master Frex has been doing custom jobs for dragons and half-dragons for thirty years. He's one himself. A half-dragon, that is. So you're in good hands." The boy was very excited to be working there. Either he had a passion for smithing, or for dragons.

"So... uh, ser, are you half or all dragon?" he asked nervously.

Kah chuckled lightly at the boy's nervous enthusiasm. "I'm a dragon. It's just that I'm new to changing shape."

"Excellent. What kind of equipment are you looking for? A ventral plate to protect your more vulnerable underside? A neck guard? Perhaps some tail armor for both defense and offense? All with shifting enchantments to make them useful in any form you take."

Kahroan thought it over, looking at his mate with a question in his eyes. "What do you think? Chest armor, yes, but should we go for more? I doubt we have the coin for much else."