Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Ghost Roots

Started by MadEmperor, March 04, 2023, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

The tiger put a foreleg over her. I do too, precious star. He sounded more maternal than usual, likely from Abigail's presence inside him.

DragonSong

Asta sighed heavily and tucked herself in close against him, spindly legs curled up under her body and her head stretched out to rest lightly next to his paw.

I don't...know what to do now. She sighed again, a few quiet tears leaking onto her snow white fur. Without her... We were going to make a home somewhere. I don't—I don't think I can do that on my own...

MadEmperor

I don't know either. He sounded sad, though he was taking it better due to being able to feel his love's presence within him. I just know she would want you to be safe and happy... and my inescapable mission is neither.

But I also don't know if I could bear to leave your side for such long journeys.

DragonSong

Asta lifted her head slightly to look at him, then pressed her nose forward to nuzzle his cheek briefly. Maybe...we can talk about it more in the morning, she suggested as she let her head drop back to the ground with another little sigh.

Good night, Father.

MadEmperor

Good night, daughter.

The morning came without incident. When both were fully awake, Zephyr returned to human form to prepare the rations. There had been enough death of late, and he had lost his appetite for blood, at least for a while.

DragonSong

Asta had shifted twice in her sleep—first briefly to human, and then to a moon-white barn owl.

She blinked pale eyes open when she felt Zephyr stirring, then hopped forward to clack her beak curiously at what he was doing.

Morning. She cocked her head at him. Do you—can she...hear me, do you think?

MadEmperor

"Morning." Zephyr checked the travel bread for mold and insects, nodding as he found it safe to eat. "I believe she can, after a fashion. It's just difficult for her to talk to me. Is there something you want to say to her?"

DragonSong

Asta bobbed her head, considering. I guess, just...I was just wondering, really. I think...she knows I miss her. But I'm-- She paused, then shifted carefully into human shape before continuing slowly, "Maybe it's selfish, but I'm...I'm glad she's still here. Even if it's not...what we wanted. I'm glad she's with you."

MadEmperor

He gave her a sad smile as he handed her some food. "I am too. I just... worry that I'm robbing her of a peaceful afterlife. She deserves her reward, if there is such a thing."

DragonSong

"Maybe..." Asta said slowly. Then she gave him a sad smile and reached out to place her hand lightly on his arm. "But I think...I dunno, maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better, but when she spoke to us, it seemed like...like she was holding on. Like she wanted to stay."

There was the faintest pulse of agreement from the gem in Zephyr's chest.

MadEmperor

He placed his hand over the gem and his sad smile grew less sad. "I think I just felt her agree. I believe she wanted to stay with us for as long as she can, and seized the one chance she had to do so."

DragonSong

Asta nodded slowly, and her own smile as a mix of sorrow and something a little lighter when she looked up at him. "I'm...glad you won't be alone," she murmured.

It wasn't until she'd said it that she realized the implication of the words: that she wouldn't be staying with him. They hadn't really had time--or the emotional capacity--to talk about what came next; but she knew that regardless of what happened, one day she would leave him. Whether that meant simply finding her own niche in the world, or the inevitability of her own mortal death...eventually, she'd be gone, too.

MadEmperor

Almost as if he had read her mind, he hugged her and said, "I wish I didn't have this calling, but I'll do my best to at least see to it that you aren't alone. And I will visit as often as I can, though it could be weeks or years in between depending on where the winds of fate carry me."

DragonSong

She hugged him back tightly. "I know," she murmured, and though there was sorrow in her voice, there was understanding too. "I know, Dad." She pulled back a bit and smiled at him slightly. "Saying that is...gonna take some getting used to," she chuckled quietly.

MadEmperor

He grinned. "I like it, though. And, for the record, I feel strange hearing it too."

"Now, eat. You'll be much safer once we reach the fort city at the border," he urged.

DragonSong

She smiled and nodded, tucking into the rations obediently. "I think I might...go back to the wilds," she murmured in between bites. "There are some places in the forest in northern Serendipity--you'd be able to reach me, but I could keep myself out of the kind of trouble I'd run into in Connlaoth."

MadEmperor

He, too, began to eat. Swallowing, he asked, "You don't want to try living with people that won't attack you just for being what you are?"

It hadn't occurred to him that, without her mother, the plan might change.

DragonSong

"I..." She sighed, considering that. "Maybe," she said after a few moments. "I just..."

She looked away, drawing her lower lip between her teeth. "I don't--I know it isn't fair of me, but I just..." She shook her head. "It feels like...every time I try to be around people, something goes wrong. Maybe it's them, maybe it's me, I don't know. But I just don't think I'm built for it."

MadEmperor

The elemental took a moment to consider his response. "You've been in the wilds your whole life. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be wary of trying to live in a world completely foreign to your experience." His soft expression grew a little more serious. "And if you need time or even if you never decide to leave the wild, if that's what you really need, I'm sure your mother would understand."

DragonSong

"You think so?" She glanced at him with a small, slightly melancholy smile. She drew in a deep breath, then let it slowly back out again with a nod.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think you're right." Another breath. "I think...I'm ready to go home." She looked back to him again and promised, "I'll make sure I stay in your range. Maybe...maybe I really will build a little cottage somewhere, like she wanted. Just...away from other people. For a while."