Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Battling Demons [M]

Started by DragonSong, March 16, 2023, 04:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Does it?"

Heedless of the danger, she grabbed for his arm. "Does it know your favorite tavern song? How you take your ale? Your favorite camp stories? Does it know anything about other than the fact that losing your family nearly drove you mad with grief?"

MadEmperor

The gnoll was thrown off just enough for her to grab his arm without reprisal.

"... No... it doesn--" He was there. For just a moment, he was there. Then he jerked away, drawing the sword. No! You won't trick me!"

"I won't let you stop me either," he threatened.

DragonSong

Yes! It was just a second, but she saw that. She saw him.

Hana put her hands up to emphasize the fact she was unarmed, holding his eyes.

"Look at me, Thrax," she begged quietly. "You know I'm right. Are you really going to hurt me with that thing?"

MadEmperor

"I don't want to," he said sadly, sword arm trembling as if from some unseen contest of will.

If she won't leave, you'll have to kill her

No... I can't... Not her!

She won't stop until you give up your dream of vengeance. You don't want that, do you?

"But I'll... I'll do what I have to." The tremble stopped and he pointed the blade at her.

DragonSong

Hana's red eyes went hard and flinty, and she tipped her head up, exposing her throat.

"Go on then," she murmured, holding his eyes. "Because I'm not willing to lose you. Not to that thing."

The illusion tipped its head back further, while the real Hana moved as silently as she was able to try to get behind her friend, though the invisibility she was using was slipping.

MadEmperor

Thrax hesitated.

You said she was against me.. why would she?

An illusion! A trick!

But what if it isn't. She'd really be--

Do you want your justice or not? Power demands sacrifice.

... You're right... You're... No! I won't!

*Sigh* Then you leave me no choice but to... change... our little arrangement.

The demonic aura around the blade and seeping into Thrax suddenly became stronger. His eyes blackened and the weapon sparked with black lightning as it took the bard's enhanced magic for itself. His arm slashed for the illusion's throat as if moving on its own.

DragonSong

Even though she was the one who had created the image, Hana still winced as the blade cut into the illusion's throat and blood spurted. 

The fox took a few steps back, allowing her invisibility to slip and the illusion to vanish. "I was really hoping you wouldn't do that," she whispered from behind him.

MadEmperor

"Thrax" whirled around, slashing at where she had just been. He bared his teeth threateningly. "I knew you were nothing but a filthy trickster." His voice was so subtly different than the change was difficult to notice on a conscious level; it was more like the itch of knowledge buried just too deep to access.

DragonSong

That hurt more than she wanted it to, even if she suspected it wasn't exactly him talking.

"Thrax, please." She took her larger fox shape, backing up another step. "Please. Listen to me. This isn't who you are..."

MadEmperor

"Thrax" laughed darkly. "But it is."

He stepped forward, his blade crackling through the air as it came for her head again.

DragonSong

With no physical weapon of her own, besides claws and teeth—which were all well and good but not the best method to party a blade—Hana had to rely on agility and luck as she dodged his strikes. Foxfire bloomed around her paws, but she didn't want to risk using it; she could seriously hurt him, and despite everything, she was trying to avoid that as much as possible.

"I don't want to fight you, Thrax!"

MadEmperor

"That makes one of us!" he snarled, pointing the blade at her. She only had a brief moment to defend herself before a bolt of demonic lightning leaped directly for her.

DragonSong

Hanako's eyes widened, and on instinct she called up a barrier of foxfire. It wasn't enough to deflect the bolt, but it seemed to dilute it slightly--enough that when it struck her it didn't immediately kill her, at any rate.

She collapsed, panting and barely conscious.

MadEmperor

For a brief moment, he looked at her with sad eyes before they once again turned black. The demon possessing the bard laughed. "If you value your life, you won't get in my way again."

He walked off, humming a tune. Strangely, he wasn't very good at it. This... wasn't Thrax.

DragonSong

"Wait...don't..."

Her eyes fluttered even as she reached after him. But she didn't have it in her to maintain consciousness. With a quiet sigh, her eyes closed and she slumped back to the ground.

MadEmperor

Some time later...

A roar woke her. The first thing she saw was a grass drake fleeing with a panicked cry. The large shadow of a dragon loomed overhead.

DragonSong

Hana started to come to slowly, but the dragon's roar brought her around with an abrupt jerk. She gasped and tried to sit up, then groaned as her head pounded and her vision spun.

"Wha... Kah?" She blinked blearily and squinted up at the shape overhead, making out the familiar blue gradient. "Kah!"

MadEmperor

The frost dragon looked down at her with relief in his big eyes. "Oh!  You're awake!"

He stepped back to give her room. "You're lucky I found you before that drake had you for breakfast."

DragonSong

She laughed breathlessly and nodded. "Thanks for the save, big guy." She shook her head and managed to push herself to her feet, swaying slightly. Then she a realization seemed to strike her and she jerked her head around. "Wait--shit! I told you two not to come after me! You've got a baby to think about, you eejit, you--!"

She paused, looking around more slowly. "Ah. I see...River isn't here. Right."

MadEmperor

"Neither of us much liked the idea of leaving you to face this by yourself, so we agreed that she would stay in Arca while I went after you." Kahroan gave her electrical burn a worried look. "Did Thrax do that?"