Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Turn and Face the Strange [DragonSong]

Started by MadEmperor, January 18, 2023, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

"Rain. So that's what I've been sensing." He was intrigued but detached from the realization, as if he couldn't quite keep up with everything that was happening to him.

They eventually came upon a small cleft in the earth disguising a modest cave. It wouldn't fit him if he went and turned completely into a dragon, but it would do to hide them. "Will this work?"

DragonSong

Should do for now. She glanced at him sidelong and huffed quietly. You'll just have to let me know if you start feeling...cramped.

She sniffed around for a bit, then snorted in a satisfied way as she come to the conclusion that the den was abandoned before wriggling in, dragging her pack with her.

MadEmperor

"I hope it doesn't come to that."

Kahroan followed her in, his hood catching on the rock as he ducked through the cave mouth. She then saw his face; the rounded features of a Yoreiqi man were becoming more angular, dark blue-gray scales covering most of his face. The shape of his jaw was longer, and his broad nose was disappearing into the beginnings of a snout. His straight black hair was becoming spiky and white with silver-blue streaks. Most striking were the ice blue crystalline horns in the process of sprouting from the sides of his head, angular and curving towards the back with a sharp upward bend at the tips.

DragonSong

River winced as he crawled into the small space with her and the rain began to fall outside.

Gods. She whined in the back of her throat and stretched her nose forward to sniff at him cautiously. Are you—does that hurt?

MadEmperor

He quickly covered back up in a panic, eyes shining more blue than ever as he turned away. "Imagine nails being driven through your skull. Now imagine it happening from the inside. That is how it feels."

"Does it not hurt when you change?"

DragonSong

She whined again softly in sympathy.

No. She continued to watch him, concerned. It's...it just feels like stretching a muscle I haven't used in a while. It's still part of me.

She huffed softly and stretched her neck again to press her nose against his hand, unsure what else to do as they waited for the storm to pass.

MadEmperor

Time passed excruciatingly slowly for the transforming Yoreiqi. He said little, until the pain was no longer enough to keep his exhausted body awake. Aside from the occasional tear of fabric or crack of shifting bone, he slept silently.

In the middle of the night, however, he woke screaming as his wings began to bend and snap under his cloak like the legs of a struggling insect. He clawed at his cover in an attempt to remove it, but it only caught on his wings. Fabric tore as some sharp growth of the same crystalline material as his horns and talons punctured it.

DragonSong

River had been dozing lightly, mostly keeping an eye on the gradually passing storm outside their makeshift den when she was awake. She was drifting halfway between sleep and wakefulness when Kahroan began to scream. Her head shot up an she whipped toward him in the tight space, eyes wide.

Shit.

She started scrambling backward out of the den, head darting forward to clamp her teeth as gently as she could managed around his wrist and trying to pull him with her. We need to get you out of here, you'll get stuck. C'mon, I'm sorry, I know it hurts, but you gotta come with me.

MadEmperor

Kahroan scrambled after her, squeezing through the cleft and spilling out onto the ground in a panting heap. He arched his back as his mutating wings burst forth with a blizzard of loose feathers. They shuddered as avian muscles bulged, with new bones fanning out to provide structure for leathery webbing. The sound the bones made was excruciating to hear.

He wasn't growing any larger, thankfully, but with the cloak flapping in the breeze she could see his shirt was constricting his chest. She could also see the stub of a tail pushing through a ragged hole in his pants.

DragonSong

"Easy, easy." River's voice was external again, human hands gently taking his shoulders and trying to unfurl him from his current position. "Here, let's get this off, or it's either gonna get shredded or constrict your breathing," she muttered, trying to keep her tone calm and even as she moved to help him get the shirt off before it started ripping.

Well. Ripping worse.

MadEmperor

Kahroan let her sit him up. It took some effort, but the shirt eventually came off. Underneath, he no longer possessed any mammalian features, save for the little human skin that was left. It was apparent that he was, at the very least, going to be a complete hybrid of man and dragon.

He breathed easier, even as his wings violently reshaped themselves. The process was eventually slowed as the last of his new wing digits snapped into place. He gave them a reflexive flap as the ordeal ended.

"That... was horrible," he huffed with a deeper voice than before, his mouth even less human.

DragonSong

"Gods." River sat back on her heels, brow furrowed as she looked him over. "You...well. Ouch."

It was still raining, though lightly now. Which she noticed vaguely because—without fur or clothes—she was suddenly quite cold and damp. It hardly seemed like their biggest issue at the moment, so she put it from her mind.

"Do you know...did this trader you met say anything? About...how far this change might go?"

MadEmperor

He shook his head. "He did not."

"It... was like he could see into my very soul. He knew that, in that moment, I wanted nothing more than enough power to be left alone. Like some kind of devil, he offered me exactly that. And, like a fool, I accepted. I pray that my soul remains my own."

That might be the most he's said since they met.

DragonSong

"Look." River shifted to catch his eyes. "Take it from someone who knows--just because the outside changes doesn't mean you're not you."

She glanced around, taking stock of where they were. She twisted to grab her pack and rummaged around until she found her--last, damnit--enchanted tunic, spelled to stay with her through a change, and pulled it on. "Think you can move? I don't think we're getting back into that den."

MadEmperor

"I think so." He nodded and shakily rose to his feet, wrapping himself in what was left of his cloak. It obscured the parts still caught in-between, at least. However, there was no mistaking him for human.

"At least the storm has passed. But, where do we go now? Perhaps, somewhere where I can find some new clothes before I'm rendered entirely nude?" It's true that he was a torn cloak and a few threads away from total nudity. Granted, if he was as draconic from the waist down as he was above, it wouldn't matter that much; dragons didn't need clothes.

DragonSong

"A patch job would be better than nothing," River agreed with a sigh as she got to her feet. "There's a seamstress in this little town not too far, she made me this." She plucked at the hem of her tunic. "It stays with me when I change—if I remember to where it. Maybe we can get you something similar."

She winced, then added. "You know. Eventually. It's at least a week's travel from here—but there's gotta be some place on the way where we could get you something to wear."

MadEmperor

"You would stay with me that long?" He was surprised by her generosity. Normally he'd assume he was being tricked, but he was in such need that such thinking would get him nowhere.

How would he pay for such clothes? His scales? He'd heard dragon scales were quite valuable.

DragonSong

"Well—" She huffed and rubbed at the back of her neck awkwardly. "I mean, if you needed—wanted—someone around...sure. It's not too far out of my way or anything..."

She cleared her throat and glanced away, frowning, for moment before shaking her head and urging, "We should get moving."

MadEmperor

Kahroan followed after her. He couldn't see her frown, but he could hear the hesitation in her voice. He made the only assumption he could.

"You don't have to accompany me all the way. I've survived on my own well enough so far." He didn't sound disappointed, just emotionally weary.

DragonSong

"Oh, hey, I didn't mean it that way." She shrugged, feeling awkward. "Look, I'm not gonna just leave you, just... Well. I'm not usually good travel company." She gave him a sidelong smile, trying to lighten the mood. "You'll be sick of me soon enough. Just hope I can help you find your feet before then."