Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Magical Mystical Fox Hunt

Started by MadEmperor, March 21, 2023, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Thrax actually winced. To be trapped in such a way, neither dead nor alive, felt worse than death to him. He wouldn't even have done that to the Poisonclaw chieftain.

"What of her body?" he asked.

DragonSong

"We are shapeshifters," Kai responded quietly. "With the right application of magic, the body may be hidden with the soul."

Hana blinked, then swallowed. "And she just...stays in there? Forever?"

Jiro shook his head, expression solemn. "Our kind live long--and she is not unaware, merely unable to harm others in this state. She will be given a guardian in the village, someone to care for the stone and expose her to the kindness that is meant to guide our community. In three centuries, her case will be revisited. Should she be then willing to take responsibility for her misdeeds, she will be freed."

Hana swallowed again. She took a slow breath, then bowed. "Thank you for telling me, Elders."

MadEmperor

Thrax nodded, but was given pause by the fresh reminder that Hana would outlive him long before she grows old. "I only wish my people were as forgiving as yours. But then we don't live long enough to have centuries to reflect on our misdeeds even if we were prone to self-reflection."

"I am more the exception than the rule," he added.

DragonSong

"It is a risk," Kai responded, in a tone that implied the decision had not been reached easily. "Though her guardians will do their best to show her a different path, it is possible that she will simply reflect on her own pain and lust for vengeance. But we could not allow her to continue spreading violence."

Hana nodded into a bow again, eyes on the ground. She wasn't sure what to say--she honestly wasn't sure what she was feeling.

MadEmperor

Thrax gave her hand another squeeze.

Sensing her conflict, Akira softly said, "I assure you, you are safe from her, as is anyone else that she may have wished harm. I sincerely wish we could undo the choices that led to this whole ugly situation."

DragonSong

"Of course. Thank you." Hana dipped her head politely, then asked a little hesitantly, "If that is all...may we go?"

Kai looked like she perhaps wanted to say something more, but Akira nodded. "Of course, you should get some rest. I am sure you are not yet fully healed."

Hanna nodded a bit, though she still seemed a bit distracted.

MadEmperor

"Are you okay?" Thrax asked as they walked back to the guest house. She was clearly lost in thought about something.

DragonSong

"...Yeah," Hana murmured after a few moments. "I think so. I just..."

She sighed, ears flicking back. "I don't know. I don't know what was the right call. I don't know if she deserves this, if it's too kind, if it's too cruel, I—"

She shook her head. "I don't know..."

MadEmperor

"I don't know either. I thought it was cruel at first, worse than death, but death doesn't come with a chance for redemption." Thrax shrugged. "So I can't say."

He linked his arm through hers and took her hand. "But at least you're safe, and she can't hurt anyone else, at least for three hundred years."

The bard sighed a little sadly. "I wish I could live that long."

DragonSong

Hana huffed and started to say without thinking, "Me too--"

She stopped, blinking. She hadn't grown up among her own kind, had only learned most of what she knew about kitsune in the last few years. Despite being half human, there was every chance she would live that long. But...she had never really given that much thought before.

Tobin wouldn't. Her friends wouldn't.

Thrax wouldn't.

She abruptly held his hand a little tighter and cleared her throat. "We should--we should make sure we have everything we need," she said too brightly, not quite looking at him. "Check our packs and all."

MadEmperor

The same realization plagued his mind. Even if they stayed together all his life, it would only be a small part of hers. It was inevitable that he would leave her, one way or another.

"Y-yeah, we should do that. But maybe in the morning? It's almost dark already, and you still need to rest." He didn't look at her either.

DragonSong

"Oh, shit." She glanced up, realizing he was right. "Guess it is. I didn't realize how long that all took..."

She thought about arguing that she didn't need rest, but...she did, she unfortunately had to admit. "We should leave tomorrow though," she murmured as they made their way back to the guest house. "Now that Hoshiakari isn't a threat, well...I guess there's nothing really keeping us here?"

MadEmperor

"Are you sure you've gotten all you wanted from coming here?" Thrax asked, looking her in the eyes with curiosity.

"We've been so focused on Hoshiakari that we haven't done much else."

DragonSong

"That's..." She huffed. "Well, I guess that's true. But I mean--"

They'd reached the guest house, and she made an expansive, helpless gesture with her hands as she bumped the door open with her hip. "I dunno what else to look for; I don't know what I was even expecting from this place, really."

MadEmperor

"I can't tell you what to want," Thrax said as he ducked through after her. "I just don't want you to regret not connecting to your people more."

His voice grew distant. "You never know what might happen to deny you the chance."

DragonSong

"Oh, shit." Hana looked up at him, expression guilty. "Fuck, Thrax, I--I'm sorry, I wasn't even thinking..." She sighed and looked away. "I'm a horse's ass."

MadEmperor

Thrax wrapped his arms around her. "No. You're not." He sighed. "I shouldn't pressure you with my baggage. Just... be sure, okay? I don't want you weighed down by words left unsaid."

DragonSong

Hana snuggled into the embrace, quietly reveling in how completely his arms surrounded her. "You're right though," she murmured into his chest before turning her head to lay her cheek over his heartbeat with a soft exhale. "And you aren't pressuring me—you're making a good point."

She leaned a little more firmly into the hug. "Maybe I'll...take a last walk around. Before we leave in the morning."

MadEmperor

"Take all the time you need." Thrax kissed her forehead and sighed contentedly. "We should both get plenty of rest tonight. So, maybe a raincheck on the snuggles?"

DragonSong

Hana chuckled quietly and nodded as she pulled away, agreeing, "Probably a good idea." She tipped her head back to peck his cheek before separating herself entirely.

"Gods, I'm exhausted." She struggled to swallow back a yawn as she made her way toward her bedroll. "I vote for a lazy morning tomorrow."