Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stairway to Cleven

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2023, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Tags to @MadEmperor

------------------------------------

"The Stairway to Cleven is a fearsome task. Not many use it as it once was used, but were time not of the essence, I would take the roads about, the spiral way up the Cleven Plateau, and deliver the herbs myself. I won't not consider taking those stairs again, not with me old bones and my lamed up leg," the old woman went on, hobbling across the small room, a leftward lean into her cane.

Gemla had already traveled a great distance to get here, the woman herself picking her out in the crowd and implored urgency on a mission- one she was willing to pay. It was a bit unsettling when humans approached her, especially ones by themselves, but apparently the woman had heard of Gemla on her recent travels to the town, and offered her a fair price to help deliver medicinal herbs to the old woman's grandson, who lived with his family in the secluded town of Cleven.

She knew enough about Cleven to know it was known for it's beautiful scenery- having it's plot of land on the top of a steep plateau with just two access ways to the top. There was a long, winding road that, although treacherous on even a good day,  was a far safer and easier route than the famous 'Stairway to Cleven'- an insanely tall and steep stairway that went from the bottom of the cliff clean to the top- carved mostly from the plateau wall itself, except where it parted ways and the need to use wood covered the trek where otherwise a path could not despair.  Apparently this little old lamed up lady needed to get the herbs to her grandson, or he might not live through the night. A wailing sickness had befallen half the town, and unless relief was administered within the first signs of the sickness, survival was slim to near impossible.

And the crow's note came but two days ago, and the old woman had been ready to make the trek up the stairs herself, but had fallen and nearly broken her hip, and was begging to find someone up for the task. But no dragon riders were to be found, and all with magical talents of the sort were either indisposed or not currently in the town. That left her only options adventurers, of which she was getting desperate- having little money and little connection to either.

Gemla was halfway through a beer, resting on her way home from her travels from another menial but long winded task. She was tired and eager to head home, so it was strange to be approached for help at all- normally her kind were often ignored, but perhaps that was why she had been sought out, and Gemla hadn't the heart to turn the old woman away.

"So you need me to travel up the Stairway to Cleven," she deduced.

The old woman nodded, her frown deepening before she turned to set a wicker basket upon the table. She patted the closed lid.

"Inside are the herbs my grandson needs. Thistle socks, witten-low, carmamona flour and a cinder rose."

Gemla wasn't familiar with any of those herbs, and raised a brow questionably.

The old woman smiled.
"They are to be brewed as a tea, filtered through the cinder rose and drank on empty a stomach. 'Tis a family remedy, my great grandfather suffered the same illness and it cured him nary a day. But he had drank it good and fast, and time is of the utmost importance. My grandson will need to drink this before the next sunrise, or it may be too late."

Gemla frowned at all of this. That gave her less than a day for the trek, and the stairway was still a ways from the road.

"Will I have enough time for the task? The staircase..."

"Is doable," the old woman interjected, taking Gemla's hand and imploring her. "I can only offer but a copper piece and my silver tea set as a price-"

Gemla stood, pressing the old woman's hand back to her lap and frowned.

"I will take the copper, but not the silver. I would hate to take more than that in case I don't make it."

The old woman looked relieved.
"So you will do this?" She was positively shaking. Gemla nodded. "Oh, bless you child. May the great gods of the hills watch over you and yours. And bring you luck and haste on your journey."

She explained to Gemla where her grandson's house had been, that once she reached the top of the staircase that she need only take the main road and the third left and the house was at the end of the path with the family name carved into the wooden door- Wittmy.

So with basket in hand and a large jug of water refilled, Gemla began her quest to the great stairway- which already took her nearly half the hour to approach. The stairway was quite the sight- tall and narrow, going up as if to the heavens. She couldn't even see the top, and it was so steep she nearly lost her nerves before even attempting. But then she recalled how the old woman looked, how desperate she was- and though Gelma was desperate herself to go home, she wouldn't be able to live with herself if she hadn't agreed to help the poor woman out.

So with one boot in front of the other, Gemla began to long and arduous ascent to the plateau of Cleven.

Rumor had it, if you were fast, the stairway trail took only a few hours- where as the spiral path that lead up the mountain took almost the week. Gemla wasn't even twenty minutes in before she was already red faced, despite her complexion, and sweaty and laboring of breath. She didn't want to drink already, but her lungs were burning and her legs, begging for a rest. She didn't feel she was out of shape in the least, and in fact, kept herself in top shape with daily runs and other exercising feats to keep her strength and speed about her-

But these stairs...
Another hour in and she gave in, took a seat and opened her water pouch and downed a good bit. But she had to stop herself. She needed to save enough for the remainder of the journey. And where she sat now on the narrow steps, the sight was something else- to be able to see a great distance through the trees. And the look down-
She wish she hadn't.

One wrong step meant death, and she still had quite a number of steps to go.

Was she even half way there? The only thing she could be thankful for as she started up the stairs again, was that the winds were picking up. However.. on the other hand...
She peered over at the distant horizon. Were those storm clouds rolling in? What luck if it were- how much more treacherous could the stairs become when slick with rain and wind? So, drawing in a breath, Gemla forced herself to move faster up the stairway.

She had a little boy to save, some medicine to deliver and copper to make- of which she refused to take until she returned. She just hoped she could make it in time. To think about that poor child suffering, and with his life on the line...

Gemla moved even faster still, tapping into her more disciplined spirit and pushed and moved as best she could-
and was surprised that, about a little over halfway up the stairway...

Another person was coming down.

It was known these stairs rarely had any traffic. A few people a month at best. So of course on her maiden journey she had to deal with someone going the opposite way. It wasn't as if either side of the stairs allowed for two to fit- let alone a half orc woman and another to fit. And this man was carrying a heavy load on his back, and had some momentum behind each step. He wouldn't be able to stop easily, and was in quite the hurry.

Gemla cursed and looked to the crags beside the trail. They looked lose and worn, but there was enough of a foot hole that she took a grip to the rail and stepped over, leaning out in such a way to give the man and his cargo passage so they could make it through. The man hardly gave more than a nod as he passed through, feet stomping on the wooden portion of the steps that made up most of this trek of the journey, for the plateau face had since collapsed from the trail and wooden steps had replaced it.

Gemla held her breath as the man passed, uncertain of her own footing, but not daring to challenge the rubble holding her weight. But as the man as just near pass, a damn part of his large cargo smacked the side of her head. She must not have been leaning away far enough from the staircase and she was seeing stars- and her hands, slipping from the rail. And she felt herself go down- and her heart leaping near through her mouth.

The first thing she did was tucked the basket of herbs to her belly and tried fiendishly to roll towards the underbelly of this portion of the wooden stairs than the other way- which would have meantcertain death. And as she did so, her body hit off the craggy plateau side and Gemla began to slide beneatht he stairway path and down, down, down through a plum of dusty debris her body kicked up and it seemed she wasn't losing any speed.

She had to think fast, lest she tumble away from the staircase- or plow clean through it at her speed. So she did the only thing she could think of, and pulled her dagger from her thigh pouch and tried to use it to find purchase, only it was a useless task as the first time she struck at the wall, it was forced from her hand from the impact, and the half orc woman nearly went flying from the rock face wall.

She hadn't time to think or use anything else, and threw herself bodily at the next large crag nearest the trail she could make heads or tails of-
and by the might of the Gods, she found purchased and halted in her tumble, coughing as she caught her breath as dust and debris clouded all around her, and the winds from the approaching storm offering little consolation as Gemla grimaced and realized her body stung from a thousand gashes all over her body.

At least she had stopped.
And at least she was alive.
And she still had the wicker basket, tucked close, and still sealed, holding the hopeful herbs.

As she was catching her breath, she noticed the man that had passed her going about his way without a second thought back to Gemla's fallen form. It was probably just as well. She leaned back into the rock and closed her eyes a moment, trying to get her wits about her before she'd make the attempt to climb from beneath the wooden staircase to on top of it to begin her journey again.
For herbs and hope and a scared little sick boy.

Storm be damned. She got this. She was no meager human, and slowly she began to climb over the railing and back onto the wooden steps. A tickle at her nose had her wiping off some blood to her wrist, which made her frown. Great, a nose bleed. But what else wasn't bleeding? She ignored it. A nose bleed would hardly be the end of her. But as she turned to secure her footing on the path and took another step onward-

She spotted yet another figure further up the path, making their journey downwards.

"Really?" she growled under her breath, glaring up at the skies as if glaring at the Gods themselves. The skies only answered in a rumble of distant thunder.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Thrax was panting hard, his massive chest heaving. Why, why had he agreed to play at the inn in gods damned Cleven tonight? Why did such a remote town even need an inn? How many people could possibly go there?

The large beastkin was seated on a too-small bench at one of the precious few rest platforms along the Stairway. He wasn't quite as fit as most of his even larger kin, so he didn't know if he'd even survive the arduous trek. He certainly doubted he'd beat the storm. His shamanic training hadn't progressed far enough to offer him any protection either.

"Note to self. Get the hells out of the Thunderblacks and never look back."

visualspice

As Gemla continued forward, and another man was moving down the stairs her way, she noted a rest platform up ahead and...
As there some beast sitting upon it? Great, just great... that's all she needed was some animal to attack her now. She honestly didn't care who she shared a rest platform with, she just didn't want some bear or dog to maul her clean off the cliff side.

But if she wanted to safely get out of the way of the second on comer, it looks like she'd have to take a seat with the third. As she huffed and puffed her way hurriedly towards the platform, she only then noted it wasn't just some beast- but a beastily man, or rather, more notably, a gnoll. She knew enough about gnolls to know to keep her distance, probably as much as any gnoll might know about an orc.

So as she clamored onto the bench to take a seat beside the gnoll, she simply nodded at him and moved to take another drink from her pouch. Might as well rest a moment and have herself a drink. 

Her throat was so parched, that when she finally spoke, the words were hoarse and garbled, as if she were a talking rock.

"A busy day on the stairs," she commented, relidding her drink and reattaching it to the belt on her side. She peered over at the horizon, the skies ever darkening, and though ominous, she enjoyed the breeze for what it was.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

At least this gnoll was wearing civilized clothing except for a few accessories made of bone. That was a good sign, right? That is, assuming he didn't take them from the corpse of some unlucky traveler that happened to be his size, but that did seem unlikely.

"You don't know the number of times I've nearly visited the Great Boneyard today. Hint: tiny stairs, big gnoll. You do the math." He spoke well, another good sign. Taking out his waterskin, he chugged several swallows worth.

visualspice

She actually smiled, albeit crooked, at that. 
"You also on a fools errand?" She asked, then peered over her shoulder to see that the other person on the steps had yet to pass.

MadEmperor

"Believe it or not, I'm supposed to perform at the inn. Stupid me didn't factor in the extra week it would take to get there the sane way." He answered with a self-deprecating chuckle. He was panting less, finally recovering enough to even think about continuing. "Seriously, what kind of madman builds a town here?"

And what kind of mad gnoll becomes a performer? He didn't even have a—did that axe on his back have strings? Yes, yes it did.

visualspice

Gemla understood his frustration far too well.  He must've been waiting a time as she was still catching her breath and compared to her? He looked refreshed.

At his mention to perform, she hadn't the energy to remotely check out what he was carrying, she was just glad for the temporary reprieve. She was more interested in the person coming down the stairs to pass, and it seemed like he was taking his good old time. She gave the slow stair descender a side eye before returning her attentions back to the gnoll.

"So you're not from around these parts?" 

MadEmperor

"I'm from Adela, but these dreary peaks are a far cry from the plains."

Thrax finally looked her over. The half-orc had a certain air about her, or perhaps he just found her kind attractive. Attractive for a furless, anyway. He was quite certain she had been raised with humans, given her general demeanor. As a performer, he needed to be able to notice these things.

"What about you? Surely you aren't from Cleven. That would be awkward." He smirked in an attempt to be charming.

visualspice

She raised a brow at his inquiry, trying to decide if he was actually trying to be charming or not. She was too tired to care and rolled her shoulders and stretched out her limbs.
"No, I'm not from Cleven. And if I were, the first thing I'd have done when I came of age would be to run far away from this place."
She shook her head at the idea. "I'll never want to see another stair case again after all of this."

She paused a moment to examine the basket, still secure, the herbs within, safe. She then turned as the man on the steps was finally approaching and although she was anxious to get on with this, she wasn't looking forward to hundreds of more steps.

MadEmperor

It didn't take a genius to figure out that she was in a hurry. It was the primary reason anyone risked the Stairway. Perhaps he could put some pep in her step. He just wished the Stormsinger bardic magic worked on himself.

"I have a bit of song magic that could help you get some energy back. Temporarily, mind you." He offered it eagerly, happy to test it out on someone that wasn't a gnoll.

visualspice

At that statement, Gemla wasn't sure if she should laugh at him or not.
"If you're serious, that's an interesting offer. But if you're here to gloat or showcase your talents, you'd be wasting your time."
She tried for a polite smile, but she was tired, her nose blood stained and bruised from her tumble, not to mention dirty- oh, and she was part orc , and their kind always seemed to be brooding. It must have been the low brow, so no doubt she just looked tired and edgy.  The staircase certainly put her in a mood.

She moved to stand and bowed her head politely. 

"If you'll excuse me, I need to get going. Basket won't deliver itself."

MadEmperor

To show her that he was indeed completely serious, he brought out Stormsong and rose to follow her. He then began to sing and strum a lively tune. The piece was a bit brutal, and the lyrics were in an unknown tongue, but it carried with it a sense of invigoration. It was as if electricity had harmlessly filled the muscles of all who heard it. For now, fatigue magically melted away like it never existed.

For generations, the song had been passed down from one Stormsinger to the next. With it, they could reinvigorate their warriors and hold festivities all through the night. It had been taught to them by the Stormwalker, a wandering warrior-bard who gave them Stormsong centuries ago.

visualspice

Gemla would rather not have been so rude, but the long day was only going to get longer. And a child depended on her haste. So She barely gave him half a glance when he drew out his instrument and forced a little smile to atleast be somewhat polite, but when the music hit hit, she paused a moment , needing to grip the rails for it was strange because she felt completely fine! She tested out this awkward refreshed feeling by going up a few more steps with more heft and speed and was completely blown away by how she hardly felt the effort, and wasn't even winded!

Now she took the time to turn towards the gnoll and offered him a genuine , if not a bit awkward, smile. 

"That's a rather neat trick.  So you some sort of magician ontop of being a performer? Adelan dragon's... my energy feels like the boundless energy of a child's!"

And she normally didn't smile so much, but after all the stairs she just tackled and the many more still to endure? Hell, it'd be hard for her not to.

MadEmperor

He laughed heartily at her reaction. Grinning happily as he stowed his instrument, he said, "Shaman in training, actually. Before I became a bard anyway. I don't get to use that one often; audiences don't like it when you put spells on them."

"Or maybe it's just when gnolls do it. We have a bad reputation, as you might have noticed. I have a feeling you can sympathize."

visualspice

Gemla nodded.
"Yes, most certainly would not."
However at his mention about reputation, she frowned and looked away, returning her attention back to the stairs. 

"I suppose I might," She replied, back still to him as she continued onward in better,  stronger strides. Although elated for the great relief now gifted upon her, she couldn't help but feel insecure and apprehensive towards his statement. 

Sure, it was true and obvious, but she was never much a fan to hear it out loud. She supposed it was better than those who said it behind her back. 

I have a feeling you can sympathize.

Yeah. Yeah she honestly could.

MadEmperor

Sensing her apprehension, he softened his voice while simultaneously acting nonchalant about it. "Not that I judge anyone by their blood. The Storm knows its cost me plenty of coin."

And my entire clan.

Though, as hypocritical as it made him, he'd be tempted to kill any Poisonclaw gnoll on sight.

"So, uh... what kind of 'fool's errand' are you on?"

visualspice

Gemla was glad for the change of subject. 
"Taking herbs to a sick boy.  His grandmother couldn't make this journey and was desperate for help. "

So desperate she hired a half orc. 

So much for her trying not to think on it. But it was true. The woman hadn't approached her first, but was still grateful for the help. 

Beggars couldn't be choosers. 

"I'm sort of on a time crunch. Need to get to the town before night. " 

A soft rumble of thunder reminded her there was still the possibility of a storm. She frowned as the air grew darker for it. 

MadEmperor

"The heroic type, eh?" He chuckled, though he didn't seem to be mocking her. "You sure picked a dangerous life"

He barked a solitary laugh and grinned. "Of course, danger can be fun!"

"Don't worry, we'll both get to town on time if we stick together. Or my name isn't Thraxion Swordbreaker!"

visualspice

"Heroic?" She repeated and shook her head. "I wasn't going to turn the woman away. " she wasn't sure that made her a hero.  Just the statement made her feel awkward. 

And then the gnoll went on to say it could be fun. She chewed over that thought for a minute. He wasn't wrong, but part of her want sure she wanted to admit it out loud either. 

"Stick together?" Now that made her smirk.  "Last i checked we only had one option, " one direction.  "I don't intend to let the stairs win "

MadEmperor

Thrax supposed he wouldn't have turned the woman away either; after all, he was helping this stranger. And he wasn't even getting paid for it!

"Well, now that you put it that way, I have no choice. Stormfangs never give up!" he announced boldly as they continued to climb.