Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stairway to Cleven

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2023, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Do you think he's in the pews with us?" Gemla asked under a breath. Her own eyes searched the place but she couldn't for the life of her see anything out of the ordinary.

"Maybe he's not in this room?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Thrax sniffed the air again. "It'd be easier if I could use Stormsong but, yeah, I think he's..." There was a faint, musty quality to the air. "The crypt below was opened recently. I'd bet he's there."

visualspice

Gemla turned to Thrax, eyeing him, then nodded.
"It looks like the door over there might lead to the crypt.  Or up to the bell tower. Its hard to tell but I'm not sure the other door; the one behind the priest, would lead to a crypt." She Whispered, eyes alert and searching.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

"About time for me to sow some chaos?" He couldn't help but smirk. It wasn't as if they could use stealth in their current situation, and he probably never could. Even if he weren't a towering gnoll, he just wasn't the subtle type.

"Or, yanno, just a distraction."

visualspice

Gemla frowned, hunching down a little with embarrassment.

"If anything, I ought to be the one to distract while you go sniffing around inside the basement.. unless..."
Maybe they should have used the dragon? No... they didn't need to alert whoever was here they were coming for them.

But then a thought occurred to her...
"We.. could just go over there. The priest is in the middle of his sermon... I doubt he'd stop to chastise us if we're walking along the back wall towards the other door. Or.." she went thoughtful again. "We could see if there's a window outside and slip in that way on that side of the building." Avoiding disruptions altogether.

MadEmperor

"We can look, but it'd have to be a big window. I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm far from slight." He thought for a moment. "Yeah, it's worth a try. Let's go."

Outside, they went around the side to find a window. Luckily, the one they found seemed to be big enough for him, if barely.

"Maybe if I take a deep breath..." he said uncertainly.

visualspice

Gemla frowned.
"I could go in first, and check it out... or stay out here incase your fat ass gets stuck," she added, witha  smirk, wondering how the gnolll would respond to her joke.

MadEmperor

"I think you mean my large but muscular ass; thank you very much," Thrax responded with mock indignation.

He frowned at the window. Gnolls didn't try for stealth for a reason. "Still, I should go first in case I need a push."

visualspice

She did her best to stifle a laugh- but still she snorted behind a hand that covered her race. She shook her head. 

"Well hurry up, fluff butt before the dragon changes her mind and eats us."

MadEmperor

Thrax debated the idea for a long moment before holding out Stormsong. "Hold this. I don't think I can fit through with it. Just... be careful with it; it's important to me."

When she did take it, he was reluctant to let go but quickly got over it. In her hands, well, it didn't take a mage to feel the tremendous untapped power in it. Handing it over, even temporarily, showed that he truly trusted her.

visualspice

Gemla was surprised when he handed over Stormsong. And found herself gaping as she held it in her hands, not fully baring the weight until his reluctant grip slipped away.

And she could feel the power inside of it.

She closed her lips and gave a short nod.

"It's not like it'll be out of your hands for long. Now hurry up. Before someone sees."

MadEmperor

The big guy nodded. He quietly pushed open the window and climbed inside. His legs kicked at the air a bit before he managed to squeeze his large frame through to the other side. "Oof!" he grunted as he unceremoniously hit the floor, butt up in the air. "Gonna feel that in the morning."

Once on his feet, he reached out of the window. Whether this was for her or the axe was anyone's guess, although he wasn't much of a gentleman, which made the latter more likely.

visualspice

Gemla wouldn't have expected him to ask for her hand, first. The weapon she held..
She wanted to get it out of her hands as soon as possible. So she placed it into his hand, and then began to climb up in through the window herself.

MadEmperor

Thrax was visibly relieved to have the weapon back in his possession, going so far as to whisper an apology to the magical object. With that done, he returned it to his back as he took in the room they had entered. 

It looked to him like any other civilized temple, not that he had been in many. The only clue that they were on the right track was the electric tingle in his nose. Their quarry had been through here.

"Lessee... that way is the main chamber, so..." His pointing finger swept the room to the only other doors—two, almost side by side. "One of those must open to stairs down."

visualspice

Gemla dusted herself off once she had crawled up and through the window. She followed his gaze to the pair of doors and considered their options, then she opened the one and the heavy door gave way.. revealing a set of stone, spiraling steps that faded into the darkness of a musty smelling basement- that.. from the darkness of the shadows, appeared to go down pretty deep.

She peered over at the gnoll.

"Grab that torch over there." They were going to need some light if their target was down those steps.

MadEmperor

Thrax took up the torch and joined her at the mouth of the stairwell. Peering into the dark, he was grateful that his vision in low-light conditions was superior to any human. However, the darkness was going to be the least of their worries.

"I guess the big guy gets to go first, eh?" He sighed dramatically but insincerely. "Fiiine."

He strode down the stairs. Down, down into the dark, where the dead sleep in their god's embrace. Storm magic can't wake them, at least.

Right?

visualspice

Gemla snorted.
"You're the one with the nose," She said, pointedly.
She supposed She could have gone first, but since he would have a better grasp at their direction, it made sense he ought to go first.

So she followed him down along the curling stone staircase and into the chilly dark. The torch afforded some light, and she pondered if it was wise to take it-lest it give them away.

But she said nothing, and just quietly followed behind Thrax until they finally made it to the bottom, then she moved to stand at his side.

MadEmperor

"I figured it'd be more cramped in here."

The chamber at the bottom opened up into a wide corridor that had clearly been carved from a preexisting cave tunnel. Unlit torches lined the walls, leaving Thrax to wonder just how the tainted mage could see in the inky blackness if, as he had assumed, the man had ever been human.

He sniffed. "The torches were recently extinguished. He's confident he doesn't need them."

visualspice

At that, Gemla placed a hand on his shoulder to halt him.

"Should we not do the same?" she asked carefully, in a low voice. "My vision isn't great in the dark... but.." she was afraid the light would give them away. For now, the section they were inside, showed nothing - at least nothing as far reaching as the warm torch light touched.

MadEmperor

"I only brought it because you said to," he whispered, slightly puzzled. "I don't much need it."

He shrugged and put it out. They could always light it again, and Stormsong could provide some light if necessary.

"Stay close. I'll see for the both of us."

He could actually see further without the torchlight preventing his eyes from adjusting. He moved down the tunnel slowly, reaching the crypt itself without incident. But as he crossed the threshold, the tingle in his nose almost made him sneeze. Their target was very close.