Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stairway to Cleven

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2023, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Gemla pauses to be sure he saw her pointed look.
"A great time for joking." She said with a soured sarcastic tongue.
"If you're untrained.." she went on, eyes narrowing. "Don't you dare. We must be nearly at the top..don't risk it," She hissed, tensing as her stance taunted him to just try it.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Thrax put his hands up. "Okay, okay, it was a bad idea; I get it. I won't try it."

He resumed walking, actually quite relieved that she called him on how dumb the idea was. "I'm not untrained, just so you know. I'm just not fully trained."

visualspice

She frowned at his words.. almost feeling bad. But was it worth the risk when they were so close?

As if to test her, the winds swelled and the hail grew larger. Gemla cursed and looked ahead. 

She got an idea, for all it was worth. 

"The stairs.. up ahead!" She called to him over the torrent of rain and howl of winds. Thunder cracked, trembling the earth.

"There seems to be a recess beneath. We could take cover there.. come on!"
And she moved forward at a steady climb, breathing heavily as she shielded her head from the hard, unforgiving hail.

They were so close.. they had to make it...

And then she missed stepped, her scream lost in the storm as she began to fall...
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Thrax scrambled to grab her arm, but only managed to catch a pack strap. "Hold on!" he grunted with effort as he pulled. He would normally have no trouble hauling her up, but hours of climbing had sapped his energy.

"I'm going to try swinging you! Hold on!" He began swinging her side to side, gradually bringing her closer to the stairs behind him.

visualspice

It all happened so fast. One instance she was doomed, the next she was being yanked roughly back onto the stairs. She clung, panting and shaking as she dropped to her knees.

By the gods...

Clearly these stairs were made from the devil. 

MadEmperor

He kneeled down to offer her help getting up. "I'm glad it wasn't me that slipped. I'm not sure you could keep me from falling, no offense."

Being big had its disadvantages: it was harder to get rescued; one was unable to fit through a great many doors; one was constantly wracking one's head on things; etc.

visualspice

She sighed, the hail still pelting them mercilessly , before she finally moved to stand. 

"You've clearly never seen an orc on her rage," she told him, giving him the faintest of smiles.

"Come on. We can wait out the hail before it gets worse."

This time she made certain to be more careful, producing a small, curved dagger and used it as an anchor to help move her forward and up.

"Stay close," She warned. "I'd hate to have to tear how strong I am to catch you." And inspite of herself and the situation.. the half orc smiled.

Perhaps it was the wild rush of the storm, the very near fear but relief she was alive, but she used that moment to move until they were above the small crevice of.rock.

"Here, hold my things. I'm going to make sure the ledge is secure."

She didn't bother to wait for an objection and with the skillful grace of a predator, she climbed down and tested the stone.

Then she returned, half climbing to the stairs. 

"It offers protection from the hail, come on! We'll just have to be cautious of the rain waters."
She offered out an arm to help him, to help guide him to the pass beneath. 

MadEmperor

Thrax's claws weren't built for climbing, but they were a sight better than using fingernails.

Upon her request, he took the packs and slung them over his shoulders.

When she returned, he took her hand and let her help him wedge his bulk into the small space. "Thanks. I think we're almost even now." He smirked.

visualspice

The pair barely fit beneath the staircase together, but as the hail hammered the wooden steps- they were by far, much more protected than remaining in the elements. Though a tight squeeze- neither being a tiny being by any standard, Gemla sighed with relief that they were at least momentarily safe.

She studied the storm through the slats- the dark, ominous clouds moving like a cauldron, and winds dramatically cut back due to the rock face and steps. A flash of lightning lit up the world dramatically, and she had to wonder if the rains.. the storm.. would ever let up.

MadEmperor

"I really wish I was skilled enough to appease the Storm." Now that they were moderately safe, Thrax stared at the storm through the slats with religious reverence. "The best I can do is pray that it spares us from further wrath."

As the only follower of his faith in existence, he implored the Storm for mercy. He played for light, for gentle winds, and for the growth that rain and fire bring. He prayed for its anger to fade.

visualspice

Gemla nodded.  Better than nothing. However... if the storm didn't clear up soon... she'd have to brave it again. 

After a time the hail ceased, but the winds and rains remained, thunder and lightning still shaking the world.

"I should continue... the hail's let up."

MadEmperor

Thrax raised a brow questioningly. "Are you nuts? What if you slip again without anyone to catch you? The hail had nothing to do with the previous fall."

Then he remembered the cause of her impatience and sighed. "Look, the medicine won't get there if you're dead either. I'm coming with you."

visualspice

Although the half-orc glared at him, she knew the gnoll was right.
"Storms don't always pass quickly. And I haven't got much time. "

She studied him a moment- a soaking wet rock of fur that he was, before glancing away.
"You don't have to risk your life. I knew the dangers before taking this mission."

Even still.. she hesitated. The place they hid smelled of the wet, raw earth; and the sweet smell of summer lumber. The rain still came down in sheets, and lightning lit the sky.

He was just a singer... a bard. It was only unfortunate fate he was here with her. 

MadEmperor

Thrax was torn. On the one hand, he was the last of his clan, and if he died, then they were truly gone from the world. On the other hand, he wasn't so cowardly as to let someone get themselves killed trying to do a good deed when he could help. Besides, safety was boring.

"Life without a little danger wouldn't be any fun." He grinned. "And I've always wondered what heroism felt like."

visualspice

Gemla blinked. She wasn't sure how to respond to that. So she simply shook her head, and found herself trying not to smile.

"We'd have to survive the trek first. But.." she finally just let herself smile as she sighed. "We're almost there.."

Even still, she hesitated as she peered off at the storm, watching the lightning bolts flash in the sky.

MadEmperor

"Ladies first." The bard smirked.

He wasn't going to be first, that much was certain. Just because storms were sacred to him was no reason to subject himself to one any more than necessary.

visualspice

Gemla eyed him. Was that a joke? In spite of herself, she smiled.
"What a gentleman. "

She climbed out from beneath the stairway, studying the stone and wooden steps before her before reaching down a hand to the gnoll go help him up.

And in spite of herself, she couldn't help but jest,"Good thing we're moving. It was beginning to smell like we dog. "

MadEmperor

"Har, har." Thrax chuckled as she helped him out of the alcove and onto the stairs.

"But you're not exactly wrong," he admitted. "Comes with the fur, I'm afraid."

He began climbing again, eager to get this ordeal over with. "I am definitely taking the long way back down. This nonsense was my worst idea ever."

With a self-deprecating laugh, he added, "Well, second worst after the lightning rod thing."

visualspice

Gemla afforded him another smile. But as they moved... somehow the winds felt as though they had picked up. She paused a moment to observe the sky...

And .. did the clouds seem .. to be spiraling? She shivered. They has to keep moving. 

She looked up, then her heart leaped in her chest.
"I see it.. I see the sign for Cleven! We're almost there! Thank the gods.."

But as she turned around, her smile was immediately wiped away as the very clouds themselves seen to twist and form...

A tornado.

MadEmperor

Thrax, in tune with storms as he was, knew without needing to look that they needed to hurry. Adrenaline revitalized his flagging energy, and he snatched his pack from her.

"Run!" he shouted over the howling wind. He ran for the town sign, praying that the tornado spared both them and the town.