Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stairway to Cleven

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2023, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Gemla nodded. She was served a second drink but didn't down it as greedily as the last. Infact, after two gulps she all but ignored it as she stared off thoughtfully. 

"I suppose I could stick around," She finally said, shrugging. "Although should I really punish myself after survivng all those stairs.."
And there was the faintest smile touching her lips.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Thrax laughed and smirked. "You're going to eat those words when you hear me play."

"And now you have to. If you don't enjoy it, consider it repayment for saving your life," he added.

visualspice

Gemla gave a nod.
"You think you're that good?" She asked, giving him a side long glance.

"Although.. I do suppose I owe you for the magic. "
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

"I feel like you're not putting enough emphasis on me saving your life," Thrax teased with a smirk.

"And, yes, I am that good, if I dare say so myself." He grinned proudly.

visualspice

Gemla smirked, eyes now drifting around the room. It seemed despite the situation, the pair was getting wary looks. Her smile faded. She began to study the boarded up windows, wondering if the store had passed.

Then she rose.  "I think I've rested enough. I need to make my delivery. "

MadEmperor

While it used to bother him much more, Thrax was so used to the wary looks that he barely noticed them. His race's reputation aside, he was huge compared to humans and had a giant axe; to some degree, it was understandable that people were wary.

"Best of luck," he said with a nod.

visualspice

"Thistle socks, witten-low, carmamona flour and a cinder rose." Young lady Wittmy murmured as she checked the contents of the basket. "Thank the spirits you were sent." She turned to her eldest daughter and instructed, "They are to be brewed as a tea, filtered through the cinder rose and drank on empty a stomach."

The girl nodded and rushed inside to prepare the tea.

"How can we ever thank you?"

Gemla brushed off any payment.  "Just be sure your son gets well."

After the family returned inside, Gemla hung around. She wasn't sure why, but her eyes were trained on the candle lit room. She hoped it wasn't too late.

She contemplated returning to the inn, for the night grew cold and the winds were still wild. Atleast the rains had stopped and the threat of the tornado long gone.

Instead of returning to the inn, she slipped into a wooded grove just outside the small town and sat beneath a large oak tree. She hadn't the extra money to spare for a room and sleeping beneath the stars was just as well. Come morning, she'd check on the family... then perhaps that night... watch a gnoll sing.

MadEmperor

When Gemla finally chose to pop her head into the inn, Thrax was halfway through a lively drinking song. He was cavorting from one patron to another, getting each one to join him in singing a verse until the whole room was singing along. His voice rose above the rest, rough yet paradoxically smooth, and his playing was quite remarkable. It seemed his pride was well-founded.

visualspice

When Gemla arrived at the inn, she hadn't expected that. Sure, she assumed he could play well...
But the gnoll had the entire place singing along. 

She was dumbfounded, and hesitated briefly before finally entering the tavern proper. Was everyone that drunk? Then again, the tune was catchy and the gnoll- charismatic. 

It seemed she owed the gnoll an apology... and quietly she watched from a back corner, back resting against the wall, arms folded in front of her.

MadEmperor

The song ended with raised mugs and a cheer. Even Thrax grabbed a drink and took a swig. He slammed it down and took a bow, winking at Gemla.

Walking over, he grinned. "Told you I was good."

visualspice

The place was a rowdy mess, but all in good nature. She gave a small smile as he approached and simply shook her head at his words. 

"That's very humble of you to say." She jested, a playful glint in her eyes.

MadEmperor

A rowdy mess was exactly the way Thrax liked it. Such crowds were the most fun to perform for, even if they didn't appreciate his more thoughtful material.

Emboldened by the energy of the room, the bard smirked flirtatiously. "Oh, I'm the most humble guy you'll ever meet." 

visualspice

The half orc rolled her eyes, arms still folded.
Then she looked away, towards the still cheering crowd. The energy was contagious. 

"How long you planning on serenading the crowd? Or rather.. how long they paying you for?"

Seemed it might be a waste if he were to travel all that way to just sing a song or two.  A barmaid passed the pair and Gemla ordered herself a drink.

MadEmperor

"For the rest of the week," Thrax answered. "Longer if I decide I want to stick around."

He shrugged. "It's a good venue, if maybe a bit too out of the way for my taste. I'm told they don't often have this many people in here."

visualspice

Gemla studied the room, impressed, even if she hadn't known the average number of patrons.
"So you're telling me they all climbed those stairs to hear a dog howl?" She teased, turning away only to retrieve her mug of ale.
Then she thought to his statement earlier and found herself asking ,"What would make a gnoll stay?"

MadEmperor

Thrax scratched his ear in thought. "Honestly? Outside of a few extra days... there's nothing I can think of. I'm really not the type to stick around in one place for too long. I just play some songs and move on."

"Well, and take the occasional job from bounty boards," he added.

visualspice

She raised a brow.

"A bounty board seems unlikely in such a secluded place," Gemla mused.

"So .. what you're saying is you sing and slay. " she returned her eyes back to him, studying him, his features, truly analyzing her partner from the day prior. "Hard to imagine you in a tussle," She said with a smirk, finishing her beer and ordering another.

MadEmperor

"I know you're teasing me." Thrax smirked. "But, like any red-blooded gnoll, I love to fight. I'm... admittedly the runt of the litter, but my magic gives me an edge to make up for it."

She heard that right; the giant hyena-man was the runt.

visualspice

She shrugged at his comment about loving to fight..  she could relate to that, at least half of her could. There was a certain freeness in a fight, in having power.. strength...

Perhaps it's why part of her enjoyed his company.. not many humans she lived with could understand. It might have also been the bonding during their journey.  Who else could brag they survived hail abd tornados on the stairway to Cleven?

"So that's the whole reason you perform and learned magic? Because you're small?" Sge teased.

MadEmperor

Thrax laughed ruefully. She was right, in a way, but even if he hadn't been born weaker, he would have been trained as a shaman. "Maybe a little bit that. But mostly because I had a the right magical affinity to control Stormsong. You see, in my clan, our shaman has to have both that and musical talent to properly use it. I happened to be a perfect fit."

He sighed deeply. "But, things didn't work out that way. So I took my skills and made a living for myself."