Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Imprisoned Spirit [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, February 15, 2023, 01:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@MadEmperor

Marvelous Mortimer's Mysterious Menagerie was sold to its Connloathian patrons as the traveling home of dozens of exotic--and often intriguingly dangerous--animals. And of course they were just animals, because while mages were a delicate subject at the best of times in any of the duchies, magical creatures could often be sold to the populace as pure spectacle. The people could gawk at a glowing deerfox without fear of retribution from the church.

This was why Ghost had not taken the shape she'd been born in for the last six weeks. When the hunters had caught her in the form of a snowy white doe, they had thought her simply a moderate prize--albinism was eye-catching enough to hold some audience members' attention briefly, so she might be worth a few coins in the show. For a while.

After a week in the Menagerie, she had made her first mistake; there had been a moment, just the briefest chance at escape, and in her desperation she'd taken it. She had shifted from deer to dove and darted through the narrow opening of the door to her netted cage when the caretaker they'd assigned to her cluster of wagons had cracked it to slide her food in. Of course, she didn't get far. Mortimer himself had downed her with a surprisingly accurate shot from a sling.

And just like that, she went from being a mildly entertaining, edge-of-the-show sort of attraction to one of their main "stars". Her cage was moved to the center of the caravan when they moved, along with an ashen gray dire bear, a scrawny lion from the Serha plains, and a single, tiny cage which hung near the tent entrance and was the home of a listless, dull-plummaged teacup dragon.

Her second mistake came three weeks after they'd moved her place in the menagerie. She'd been poked and prodded and gaped at and called a cursed thing, a wretched creature, a marvel, a gift, a monster, a demon, a spirit, and she'd borne it all in silence.

But she was tired, just so, so tired. So when a group of visitors to the menagerie were tramped through the tent and they came to her cage, when her "caretaker" gave her a little poke with his long, thin walking stick to get her to change shape, she slid from raven to lion--she'd learned the shape from her time in this place--and tried to lash out at him.

That only earned her a solid beating and a week out of the eye of the public. A respite that she only had so that by the time she was out in front of people again, her wounds had mostly healed.

So there she was, a new town, a new cluster of gawking fools every day, and her just laying listlessly on the bottom of her cage, once again in the form of a pure white doe. A living ghost.

MadEmperor

One day, a new creature joined the Managerie. She would likely never have seen a creature as majestic as the rare Kilanthroan White Tiger before one was wheeled into the tent. It was fierce, strong, and beautiful—possibly the largest cat Mortimer had ever seen. Strangely, it didn't lash out once, content to simply eye its captors like it was plotting revenge.

When the humans left them alone, its bright blue eyes locked on her. There was no hunger in them, but what looked suspiciously like compassion. It was as if it could see that she was no mere animal, because it wasn't either.

DragonSong

The doe raised her head slightly, more disturbed by the commotion than she was curious. She felt too tired to be curious, really.

"Oh, we feeling uppity again, eh?" one of the men who had wheeled the tiger in chortled, catching sight of her. She flinched back--this was her "caretaker", the human mainly in charge of her feeding and upkeep. Also the one who had been responsible for her beating after she tried to lash out.

The man scoffed at her, waving the others out of the tent. "Let 'em be for a few hours. Need to get used to the smell of each other, or that damned cat will be trying to hunt the rest, just you watch."

Ghost watched them go, trembling lightly. Only when the tent flap swished closed behind them did she look back to the new arrival. She simply stared, eyes an almost disturbingly pale shade of blue as she looked the tiger over.

Something was...off.

MadEmperor

The tiger stretched, arching his back like a lazy housecat, before sitting down. He licked his paw and rubbed at his face as it watched her watching him. His interest seemed too thoughtful, as if...

Finally. I thought they'd never leave, the great cat said in beastspeak. She was right, he was no normal beast, if he was even a beast at all. The voice was too kind, too breezy for him to be just an intelligent predator. It's alright, I won't eat you. I couldn't even if I wanted to, not from this cage.

DragonSong

Ghost reared her head back, startled. While she could change her shape into most any animal she was familiar with, she couldn't always understand them so clearly. It was more often a general sense, signals she got from noises and body language that she interpreted instinctively. This was...something else. She'd heard beastspeak before--it was the most common way that druidically inclined mages communicated, creatures like familiars, or even animals that spent a majority of their time around humans.

She'd never heard it so clear from a creature clearly so wild.

She stood on shaky legs, her body still worn and sore despite the lack of visible wounds. What...are you?

Her own beastspeak was shaky, communicated as much in the natural language of the shape she currently inhabited as with the mind. But it was understandable.

MadEmperor

The beast chuckled inside her head. My, aren't we perceptive. Most would assume me to be a shifter, like you. I am no more human than the wind itself.

A gentle gust blew through the tent in an impossible direction, and the tiger was gone. In its place was a white cat that slipped effortlessly out of his cage. It is good I allowed myself to be brought here. No being deserves this cruel farce, least of all intelligent ones.

It strolled over without a care, sitting before her as if a royal thing; a king of beasts.

DragonSong

Ghost staggered back until her haunches pressed up against the thin metal netting of her cage; she was one of the "lucky few" creatures who had been kept in an herbivore's enclosure, which in Mortimer's Menagerie meant no conveniently spaced bars to slip through. After she had had shown her shapeshifting abilities, that had not exactly been likely to change.

How-- She shook her head. How do you know...I'm a shifter?

Despite the fact that he was now much smaller than her, she didn't trust that situation not to change in a hurry. She shifted her weight nervously between her hooves.

MadEmperor

You are wild like a beast, but you are no beast. And your magic isn't strong enough to be a true magical being... not like me, anyway. He was just a little vain, as any feline would be.

As if the conversation already bored him, he suddenly said, would you like me to free you? I could cut your bars with my claws, pick the lock with a breeze, maybe blow through this place like a storm, tearing it to the ground, or I could even kill them all... if you so wished it.

DragonSong

No...I'm no mage, she agreed warily. I can just...change. I've always been this way...

When he said he could free her, her ears perked up, nose twitching, all the tell-tale signs of interest that she couldn't hide. She shrank back again when he said he could kill them all.

N-No. Despite her anger, her fear, despite the torment, she found she couldn't ask it. She would not grieve these people, no: but neither could she allow their deaths to be her whim. Please. Please, just let me out, I want to be free again. Please.

And she made what would possibly be her third, and last, mistake at the Menagerie. She sank down to the floor of her cage and allowed to the surface the shape she had been born to. A young woman with wild white hair that hung long enough to provide some modesty for her naked form; her frantic, pale eyes bored into his, and she hooked her fingers into the metal netting of her prison.

"Please..."

MadEmperor

The truth was, he didn't want to commit bloody vengeance either. He was simply one usually content to go with the flow, and the victims deserved to be the ones to choose. With a quick purr and another small gust, he became a man.

The man grew claws from his fingers and slashed the netting away as if he were still a tiger. He withdrew the claws and offered her his hand, smiling helpfully through the stark white hair that hung over his eyes. "Come, you'll be safe with me."

DragonSong

Ghost flinched back from his claws, and when he offered his hand she hesitated. But in the way of a wild animal, she sensed instinctively that even if this creature was a threat, whatever waited her here was worse.

She placed her hand in his, nodding. "Thank you..."

Her legs were a little shaky as he helped her down from the cage. While in animal form the worst of her bruises had been hidden by fur, in her human form, with naught but her hair to clothe her, they stood out stark against her pale skin. Nearly a week old, they were mostly sickly shades of green and yellow by now, though a few burst blood vessels under her skin had left darker marks.

"The—the others." She coughed. She hadn't used a human voice in a long time. "We can't—the creatures here, they don't deserve this. We can't...leave them..."

MadEmperor

Seeing her bruises brewed a storm within him. No innocent living being deserved such treatment. While he didn't exist to seek retribution, it was a very tempting proposition. An all-too-animal growl emanated from him as he said, "I had no intention of doing so. These... 'people' don't deserve the mercy I show by allowing them the breath in their lungs."

Clouds gathered around him and coalesced into a fur cloak, which he draped over her shoulders. Without so much as a word, he walked over to the dire bear's cage and seemed to converse with it. He waved his hand over the lock, and it clicked open. It eyed him warily, but it remained calm as he swung open the cage. Repeating this process, he opened every cage in the tent.

The teacup dragon fluttered onto his shoulder as he returned to her. "Are you ready?"

DragonSong

Ghost skittered back a bit when her literally pulled a cloak out of thin air, habit making her wary of anything new. She held still when he draped it around her shoulders, just staring at him, in a state of semi-shock from the whole situation.

She could do little more than watch as he moved about the tent, freeing all the creatures. The barest flicker of a smile crossed her face when the tiny dragon perched on his shoulder, peeping quietly. She reached up to offer her fingers for the creature to sniff, and the smile grew when it nibbled curiously at her fingertip.

"Yes," she said, voice stronger than it had been. She clutched the cloak a little tighter. "I'm ready."

MadEmperor

"You may call me Zephyr." He gave her an easy smile and a nod as he pulled the bow off his back. Peeking outside, he aimed skyward and fired off several arrows as if pulling them from thin air. They banked like birds in flight, divided, and rained back down as if the menagerie was under attack from a force at least a dozen strong. Somehow the only wounds that resulted were ones that could be easily healed, but would serve to cause a panic.

When the alarm sounded and the guards rushed towards the perceived attackers, he signaled for the other creatures to follow as he slipped out. When she did emerge, she would see the whole menagerie camp covered in fog

DragonSong

She dipped her head to him in introduction. "I'm Gh— Asta." She smiled a bit. "My name is Asta."

She could only watch with wide eyes as he called a volley of arrows down on the menagerie, then hurry to follow him along with the rest of the escapees as he led them out into the fog.

"Where are we going?" she chanced asking in the barest breath of a whisper.

MadEmperor

"Into the wild," he whispered, "The may not all belong in this land, but I can lead them somewhere better."

Every now and then, the spirit would vanish for a moment only to return with other freed creatures. It was strange seeing such a variety of creatures following quietly. The entity must have had much sway over them if he could get them to restrain their fight or flight instincts.

DragonSong

Asta might have been confused by the way so many disparate creatures followed him so easily, if she hadn't experienced his way of conversing herself. She still didn't think she trusted him—trust was something one had to earn, and quite strenuously in her case—but she could understand how the wild creatures of the menagerie sensed the potential for freedom from him.

The tiny teacup dragon hadn't left his shoulder—only when he vanished would it relinquish its perch with indignant peeps, then quickly take it up again when he returned.

"The humans will come after us," Asta murmured as she followed him, still clutching his cloak made of clouds. "They will bring others—hunters, mordecai even."

Some of her fellow attractions were too valuable to be forgotten easily.

MadEmperor

Zephyr gave a surprisingly steely gaze for a creature so tied to the air. "Let them. We will be long gone by the time the fog lifts, and their hounds will find no scent."

Come to think of it, the dogs weren't so much as barking at the escaping creatures. It seems they knew their place. They were simply ignoring the whole procession.

A guard patrolling the perimeter suddenly happened upon them, and Zephyr was on them before they could shout. He punched them in the gut, grabbing onto the resulting exhalation and pulling enough air from their lungs to disable them for a while.

DragonSong

Asta froze when the guard caught sight of them, but she didn't even have time to considered fight or flight before Zephyr had incapacitated them.

"But we're so far from the wilds here," Asta whispered as she hurried to catch up with him again. She didn't know where they were exactly, but she knew they were close enough to one of the humans' cities that visitors to the menagerie hadn't been complaining about too much travel.

She knew most of the animals would likely get themselves to their proper homes alright, once they were free of the threat of capture. But there were certainly some—like the minuscule dragon—who were impossibly far from their homelands.

MadEmperor

Zephyr thought for a brief moment. "I will lead them to my sister. She will take them beyond Connloath's reach."

Asta would get the impression that the spirit was making this up as he went. At least he had the power to carry out his whims, though that could be a good or bad thing. It made a sort of sense for a wind elemental to live in the moment.

He led the procession into the forest. The creatures that were native and more common peeled away first, returning to their simple lives. Not long after, the more rare and dangerous ones left. Looking back at her, he said, "You may leave at any time, or you can stay until we reach my sister. The choice is yours."