Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Imprisoned Spirit [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, February 15, 2023, 01:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Asta nodded, taking her wildcat form so she could scent the air, trying to smell what he smelled.

How long have you...you know, been wandering, I suppose? she asked suddenly. The curiosity wasn't new, but she was slowly becoming bolder in the kinds of questions she dared to ask.

MadEmperor

She could smell a rabbit not far off, possibly several.

Zephyr followed her into animal form and gave her a contemplative, somewhat lonely look. Since long ago, before I can clearly remember. I have the vague sense that it has been ever since we returned to this plane and were forced to carve out new, larger domains for ourselves.

DragonSong

And...how long have you roamed Connlaoth? she asked carefully, swinging her head in the direction of the rabbits' scent. It just...seems like someone might have, well...noticed you.

MadEmperor

Long enough that I can't answer that. He chuffed and did something vaguely like a shrug. "Some have. Most aren't believed. The others just think there's a rogue mage on the loose or have the sense not to talk about me openly."

The rabbits were near a stream, she could smell that much.

DragonSong

Pausing to scent the air again, Asta adjusted her course slightly so she was heading upwind of their quarry.

Doesn't that get tiring? she asked, tilting her head first one way, then the other. Constantly worrying someone may turn you over to the mordecai? She had to assume the anti-magic soldiers would have some effect on him; not on his shapeshifting perhaps, but she rather thought his arrow volley trick may be magically based.

MadEmperor

Zephyr stalked alongside her, staying further upwind. This was her hunt.

What she asked made him think. Was that really why? Could they really do more than impede his task? It is an annoyance, but a necessary one. For I would be at a great disadvantage if I had them on my scent. I am nothing but magic, so at the very least I would be unable to defend myself.

DragonSong

...Do you think they would listen? she asked after a long moment. If you told them what you are?

She sank into a stand of tall grass, making sure to keep her almost glowingly white fur out of sight.

MadEmperor

They've given me no reason to think that they would. The only power beyond themselves that they think is good is their arrogant, jealous god. They even think they own the very word "god".

Clearly, he was no fan of the Connloathian Church. To him, what good they do is dwarfed by the mass of their crimes. Despite their pretenses of not hating anyone, their faith was founded on the murder of mages and magical creatures that refused to lessen themselves for a people that will never accept them.

He kept back, watching her like an expectant parent.

DragonSong

She made a soft noise of agreement; even from her limited experience with the Connlaothian church, his words rang true.

There was a reason she had spent most of her life in the wilds, after all.

She began to creep toward the rabbits, weight spread between her paws as he had shown her. She sank into her crouch, haunches wiggling to calibrate her stroke, then pounced.

The hare she managed to pin was older, not as quick as its brethren. She bit down on the back of its neck quickly, hoping to end its life as painlessly as possible.

MadEmperor

Zephyr appeared out of nowhere (figuratively), tackling one of the fleeing rabbits and snapping its neck in one smooth motion. Showoff.

Well done.

When they were done with their bloody business, he licked the last of the blood from his fur as he sat back on his haunches. Ahh, a fine snack. Did you enjoy your meal?

DragonSong

Asta was busy daintily cleaning her paws with the fastidiousness of a true feline. She chirped quietly at him and blinked slowly with a bob of her head. Yes, I believe I did.

Windstrider, who had been waiting in the trees while they hunted, cheeped and fluttered down to begin nibbling at the bits of meat still left clinging to the bones of the hare she'd hunted, growling in a way that he clearly thought was ferocious but was really just plain adorable.

MadEmperor

Zephyr chuffed in amusement at the little dragon. Yes. You are a great and terrible dragon. I, for one, am terrified.

He turned to Asta. You will make a fine tiger.

DragonSong

You think so? She purred quietly and padded over to brush against his leg, back arched and tail flicking.

She sat back with a quiet chuff in Windstrider's direction. Come, little friend. We should be off.

MadEmperor

The tiny dragon cheeped and fluttered over to land on Asta's head. He was ready for his grand dragonage to be carried. Surely, he couldn't be expected to walk.

Zephyr laughed in her head. Spoiled already, I see.

Several days later, the edge of a town materialized beyond the trees ahead. Zephyr took on his human shape and peeked out. "Ardyn's Glade. I almost can't remember the last time I was here. It's... bigger."

DragonSong

"Is that surprising?" Asta took her human form behind him, poking her head around to take a look. Windstrider—who seemed to have taken up a semi-permanent residence on her head—cheeped and squinted at the town in the middle distance. "If you can't remember the last time you are here, any number of things could have changed, right?"

MadEmperor

The man nodded, chuckling airily. "Yes, I suppose it would have."

"Say..." he thought aloud, "Are you up to going into town with me for a while? I want to refresh my memory of it before it fades entirely. There... there were some people special to me that lived here."

DragonSong

"I—I can come." She looked decidedly nervous about the idea, but tried for a firm nod.

Stepping up beside him, she glanced up at his profile and hesitated a moment before asking softly, "Who were they?"

MadEmperor

"The Lord and Lady Norbraith. I've never met kinder, more humble nobility than the Count and his wife. Their son Eryck should be a man by now." He smiled fondly at the memory. His only regret was having to deceive them for the safety of everyone involved. It wouldn't do to get friends arrested for harboring a magical being that couldn't do anything but use magic. His pleas of benevolent intentions would fall on deaf ears. 

"I believe I'll claim to the son of the man I pretended to be."

DragonSong

"And me? Who should I be?" Asta guided Windstrider down to perch on her shoulder, scratching his shoulders between his wings. She glanced between the two of them, brow furrowed. "I could claim to be your sister--but I'm afraid aside from our coloring, we don't actually look all that much alike."

She considered, shrugged, then added, "I could always be an animal, I suppose."

MadEmperor

"You could be a cousin, perhaps?" He looked at her inquisitively, tilting his head slightly in the way that a cat would. 

"But if you'd prefer to be my pet, that is acceptable."