Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mirror, Mirror

Started by DragonSong, October 27, 2023, 09:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

She frowned, turning the idea over in her mind for a few moments.

"I mean..." She glanced down at her hands, flexing her fingers. "I guess the real problem is knowing when to do it?" She looked to Grav. "I mean, are they safe right now? If I just...tried to switch."

MadEmperor

Grav nodded. "Oh, yeah, they're perfectly safe right now. Haven't even broken camp yet."

He gave her a supportive squeeze. "We don't have to try this if you don't want to risk it. We can find another way through this."

DragonSong

Kiara shot a quick glance at Kit, knowing he'd be telling her not to risk it. But...

But it was probably the best chance they had.

Wasn't that depressing.

She gave herself a little shake and leaned into Grav's side for a moment before pulling away.

"I can do it." She nodded stiffly. "Just..."

She glanced at Grav, and her mouth twitched on one side. "...Y'know, I'd really like to kiss you, but it's sorta weird knowing you have a, ah, passenger at the moment."

MadEmperor

Grav smirked mischievously. "I mean... you already kissed him once. Sure, you thought he was me at the time, buuut..."

"Can't be any weirder than that."

DragonSong

Kiara huffed, rolled her eyes, and leaned in to peck his cheek. "I am so ready for that vacation," she sighed as she pulled away, straightening her shoulders and placing her hands in her lap. "Okay. Well. Here it goes, I guess..."

She closed her eyes, hesitated a moment, then reached for the emptiness where her magic used to be.

The world dipped and whirled around her, and she gasped, eyes flying open to find herself suddenly seated in front of a freshly sparked campfire, rather than the one that Dan had just dampened.

Kiara blinked and looked down at herself. Yep, still her--same clothes, same faint golden glow.

Same her, different world.

She released a low breath, looking around. "Well. That was...weird."

MadEmperor

"It worked, I take it," Grav said, looking over her change of appearance. The physical swap was new. "And I didn't pass out this time."

Dan was snoring in a very familiar rhythm. If he woke up, though, what would happen?

DragonSong

"I see that." Kiara glanced over at Kit--not her Kit, gods that was still a blow to the gut when she saw him--and frowned slightly. "Nor did he wake up, it seems."

She pursed her lips. "So. That switch happens independent of when we switch. I guess that's probably a good thing?"

Kiara looked around to find Kit--but not her Kit, ouch--staring at her.

"Your ears," the dragon blurted, and one hand flew up to touch them.

"What? Oh. Right." She shrugged, tracing the unfamiliar rounded edge before dropping her hand. "Yeah. Properly human, me."

She looked down and realized she was kneeling in front of a sleeping Grav--Dan. Damnit.

"Ah...think I should...try to poke him awake?"

MadEmperor

"We were hoping to find that out, yeah," he responded. It was just as much a blow for him to see a Kiara that wasn't 'his' Kiara.

"Now if we can just figure out what happens when everyone is awake. If we can manage that, then we'll know if it's a card worth playing."

Dan kept sleeping!

DragonSong

Welp. Only one way to find out what would happen.

Kiara glanced at other-Kit, then leaned over Dan and shook his shoulder lightly. "Oi. Pup--er, Dan. Can you hear me?"

MadEmperor

Dan slowly stirred awake. "Mnn... What's happenin'...?"

Apparently he talks like Grav when he's a groggy pupper.

DragonSong

"Well, at least I can wake you up," Kiara sighed, mildly relieved. She glanced back at Kit--still awake--then back to Dan.

"Do you, ah, feel weird? I mean--hi." She waved awkwardly as she sat back on her heels. "Er, nice to...see you again?"

MadEmperor

Dan blinked, the fog of magically-induced sleep lifting. "Right... you did the switch. Sorry, her sleep spell is still wearing off."

"Yes. Well met. And at least this time we meet under less confusing circumstances." He smiled.

"However, it is rather more important that you do not feel strange, yes?"

DragonSong

Kiara shrugged, looking around. "I feel fine..."

She frowned, and Kit huffed, glancing a little awkwardly at Dan, as though he might have any better idea of what was going on.

"This is...actually really close to where we're camped, I think," she murmured, then quickly gave herself a little shake. "Yeah. I'm fine. I mean, I'm not about to keel over."

Kit snorted. Clearly, even though this wasn't technically his Kiara, he didn't much like those kinds of jokes.

MadEmperor

"I suppose it is only logical that you two would have the same criteria for a good campsite," Dan commented.

"So, what now? Do you switch back or is there something you wish to ask me?"

Grav gave Kit's snout a shake. "Wakey, wakey, sleeping drakey."

DragonSong

"I...don't really know." Kiara frowned. "I mean, I guess—huh. Gods this whole situation is just so damned weird."

Beside her, Kit suddenly wove his head back and forth, blinking rapidly. Automatically, she started toward him. "You okay?"

The dragon shook his head, answering in a slightly slurred tone, "Yeah, just...drowsy, all of the sudden."

Kit snorted sleepily and clearly worked to force his eyes open. Evidently not even wanting to bother with verbal speech, he asked mentally, Wass'appening?

MadEmperor

"Try to stay awake, Ser Kit. We need to be able to all stay awake," Dan urged.

Of Kiara, he inquired, "That is the plan, yes?"

The switch worked. The other Kiara is here.

Dan raised a brow. "Did anyone else hear that?"

DragonSong

Kiara nodded slowly, automatically reaching out to offer Kit a steadying hand against his shoulder before she jerked it back quickly.

"I mean...inasmuch as there is a plan, yeah, I guess so," she replied to Dan with a slightly nervous laugh.

Kit blinked, still seeming foggy, and they both looked at Dan like he'd grown a second head. "Hear what?"

MadEmperor

"I thought I heard the other me... in my head, now that I think about it." Dan's confusion quickly gave way to a realization. "Crazy thought. Could it be that link you three share, bleeding through?"

DragonSong

"I--I don't know." Kiara frowned, considering. "Maybe... Are you getting anything else?"

A significantly more glittery Kiara had settled into her own pacing, glancing over at Grav every few seconds.

"Is it working? Can you tell?"

MadEmperor

Grav had his eyes shut in concentration as he called for his Kiara over the link.

"I honestly have no idea."

"I think he's calling for you. Maybe?"