Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Draconic Study [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, February 22, 2023, 04:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"I think so," Alleaya replied encouragingly. "Give it another go; I've found it's helpful to have a--a touchstone of sorts. I use my mother's journal." Her hand fluttered to her satchel seemingly on reflex. "I touch it, if I can, or just hold it in my mind while I try to change."

MadEmperor

"I traded my touchstone for the cursed brooch that started this." The dragon sighed regretfully. "But, now I have River and her pack. So, who needs an heirloom?"

He had never told River what it was that he traded away. A family heirloom was a very unlikely thing for a Yoreiqi family to even have. But he had told her he wasn't the typical sort.

He kept the Longfang cabin in his mind as he, again, closed his eyes. The frost returned, and soon the glow. Slowly, his form was obscured at began to shrink. The process slowed as he reached his half-dragon size, until stalling shortly thereafter.

The icy shell shattered and he collapsed to the ground. Most of what the women could see was covered in dark skin, a faintly blue scale pattern under the skin. He still possessed draconic wings and a tail, his arms were scaled from the elbows down and his legs were still entirely draconic. They couldn't see his face yet, hidden by his blue-streaked white hair. He did, however, have short horns.

DragonSong

River had been trying to keep herself quiet and out of the way while Kahroan did his work, but when he collapsed she darted forward. "Kah?"

"He may be disoriented," Alleaya warned, keeping her distance. "Go gently."

River nodded and slowed, then knelt a few paces away from him. "Kahroan? How—how do you feel?"

MadEmperor

"St-str-strange." His voice was strange, as if it just speaking was difficult after so long with a muzzle. He looked at her with slitted, almost-human eyes that weren't quite used to seeing from the front of his face. "I... I did it, di-didn't I?"

He looked at his hands. "Well, a-almost."

DragonSong

"Oh..."

River blinked, as he looked up and it abruptly occurred to her that, well—other than when they'd first met, it was the most human she'd ever seen him.

"But look at you," she whispered with a slowly spreading smile. "Kah, that—that was amazing! Did it—are you hurt?"

MadEmperor

Kah shook his head as he got to a seated position. "I fee-feel... I feel the wind on my sk-skin." He smiled, feeling his human face for the first time in months. It wasn't exactly the same, but almost.

Yoreiqi weren't exactly averse to nudity, but he suddenly covered himself with his hands as he remembered he was naked and very human where it counted. "Pants. In my p-pack."

DragonSong

"Right!" River quickly scrambled over to their packs and dug out a change of clothes before darting back to him.

Alleaya, who was all too familiar with the potential embarrassments of shapeshifting, had turned her back the moment it seemed Kahroan was getting roughly human shaped.

"That was very impressive," she told the glade, a hint of envy in her voice. "This magic must truly be yours now."

MadEmperor

The shirt had a bullet hole in it, but it was clean, which was good enough for the moment. He eventually stood, dressed and feeling like a person again. The enchantment even made them fit.

"It seems so," he responded with a smile. "I'll have to work on it, but I'm surprised I accomplished this much so quickly."

"Thank you, so very much."

DragonSong

Alleaya shook her head, risking a glance back to smile at him once he was dressed. "Oh, don't thank me. You hardly needed my help at all."

"Really though." River smiled at her and dipped into a quick, grateful bow. "Thank you. If you ever need anything..."

Alleaya chuckled. "I'll keep you in mind, serrah."

MadEmperor

"I'd offer you a ride back to town, but I'm hardly ready to try going the other direction." Kah chuckled apologetically. "At least let us walk you to the outskirts."

The man was anxious to be alone with River now that he could truly feel her touch. But manners were manners, and they had to show proper gratitude.

DragonSong

"No. Really." Alleaya's smile seemed caught somewhere between wistful and playful, even as she gave them a knowing look. "I'm sure the two of you would like to...catch up, as it were."

She winked, then turn and strolled out of the glade, waving at them over her shoulder.

River found herself standing very still, Kahroan's pack in one hand as she tried not to stare at him.

"Well. She—you..." She laughed a little awkwardly. "It's—it's good to see you..."

MadEmperor

"It's good to see you with what are almost my own eyes." Kah chuckled, smiling as he reached up to cup her cheek. "Not quite my human hands, though."

In the short time she had seen his human face before, he had never looked this happy. It was like he was a different person entirely. It suited him much better.

DragonSong

River leaned into his hand in her cheek with a happy rumble in her chest, reaching up to cup her hand around his.

"I missed this," she breathed. "I—I missed you."

MadEmperor

He stroked her cheek with his thumb, somehow still rumbling contentedly.

"I have been wanting to do this for a very long time." He leaned in close and kissed her, really kissed her, for the first time. He was a little awkward at it, but passionate.

DragonSong

River rocked up onto her toes to kiss him back, letting both hands drift up to frame his face as she pressed closer. "I love you," she told him softly in between kisses. "I--I would love you no matter your shape. You know that, right?"

And she meant it. Though she couldn't deny that she had missed the ability to hold him, to be held in turn.

MadEmperor

"I do," he replied between his own kisses, "And I love you too, no matter yours."

"But this way I can feel the softness of your skin on mine."

DragonSong

She nodded a little frantically, running her hands over his arms, his shoulders, his back, just so relieved to be able to touch him again--or touch him for the first time, as the case may be.

Gods, that might take some getting used to.

She chuckled quietly and pulled away long enough to nuzzle her nose against his. "We--we should probably--" She swallowed, trying to force her heart to slow. "We should...see if we can find an inn or something. If--If we keep going like this..."

MadEmperor

With great reluctance, he pulled back from her. "Y-yes, an inn... is a good idea."

The following morning, they exited an inn in a small town not far from Ketra. Outside was a rather full bounty board that the lovers had been too enamored to notice on the way in. Kahroan stopped to look at it thoughtfully, remembering the early days when they fell for each other.

DragonSong

River was too focused on acquiring some form of breakfast to really notice the board at first, though when Kahroan paused she glanced back at him. Linking her arm through his as she moved to his side, she cocked her head and looked over the jobs advertised.

"See anything interesting?"

MadEmperor

"Just reminiscing." Kah smiled from the nostalgia. "Though we will need more coin until I get the hang of shifting back and forth. Besides, I just want to enjoy this shape for a while longer before I try."