Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

I Know You...

Started by DragonSong, September 30, 2023, 12:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Sitting with Vander--who had been allowed into the house after a combined effort of puppy eyes from himself and the Yoreiqi woman--half in her lap, Nani smiled faintly and nodded at him.

"You look comfortable," she noted softly. It wasn't even that he'd looked uncomfortable before, at least not in an obvious way. But now, seeing him as he was supposed to be, she couldn't help comparing it to the way he used to hold himself and noticing in retrospect the difference.

MadEmperor

"I just hope getting this kind of shirt on gets easier. But, yes, comfortable is a good way to put it." He sat on Vander's opposite side and gave his back a stroke.

"Have you thought about where we go after this? I have, but I want to know what you think first."

DragonSong

"I expect you'll get used to it," she chuckled. It had certainly been an adjustment for her, coming from the islands and facing the social expectations of modesty that permeated the mainland--a sarong or simple wrapped band was so much easier to adjust to one's wings than the laced contraption she'd had to contend with since leaving home.

"And I...suppose I assumed we'd be going to the Thunderblacks," she answered after a moment. "To find your father's people?"

MadEmperor

"That's what I've been thinking. I'm just... hesitant to get you involved in another potentially dangerous situation so soon. Rosamund didn't make them sound like the type to welcome guests graciously. And if my mother didn't believe I'd be welcome, they might react poorly to a half-breed showing up." He made a strange, uncomfortable face when referring to himself as a half-breed.

DragonSong

"Maybe." Nani shrugged slightly, head turned slightly downward as she stroked Vander's back. "I can't make the choice for you—but I don't suppose we'll know what they'd think until we try to talk to them."

MadEmperor

Ein grew solemn. "I... need to know if I have a home to go to, if my father lives, and if he does, why he never made himself known to me."

He smiled softly, grateful to have a friend to support him. He didn't think he'd have the courage to do it alone. "And I'd be honored for you to meet him with me."

DragonSong

She smiled back and nodded slightly. "Of course."

What else could she do? He was her Charge--but more than that, he was her friend. And this was what he wanted. He deserved answers, and if he wanted her to go with him while he found them, she would.

MadEmperor

Ein nodded. "Then it's settled."

"But first..." He actually grinned, excited for once. "We learn to fly."

Vander barked, as if he wanted to have wings too.

DragonSong

Nani laughed and got to her feet, patting Vander apologetically. "Sorry, boy. We'll be back soon. Be good, okay?"

Vander whuffed, dejected, and stared at them balefully, but padded away to make himself comfortable in the shade of Rosamund's porch.

Nani looked to Ein and tilted her head slightly. "Well...I know how to glide. Perhaps we'd best start from higher ground?"

MadEmperor

Ein nodded.

The slope that the village rested on led up to a large outcropping overlooking the area. It was quite a majestic view of the lands to the north and the perfect spot to test one's wings.

Ein gazed over the edge, feeling a sense of nostalgia for the view. "I think I used to climb up here when nobody was looking, just to feel like a king for a few minutes."

DragonSong

"A king?" Nani repeated as she moved up beside him to look out over the edge. Slowly, she shook her head. "Maybe. I mean, I can understand that, from what I know of your childhood--but I wonder if it was...this." She gestured to his new form. "This part of you, looking for freedom."

MadEmperor

Ein smiled slightly as he thought about that. "I think you're right. High places have always relaxed me. Knowing that I have blood ties to a place higher than the Thunderblacks certainly explains that."

He flexed his wings, letting them feel the wind. It was freeing to even simply imagine flying on them—to escape the tyranny of the ground and soar.

DragonSong

"Right." Nani judged the slope of the hill, then glanced between herself and Ein. "Well, if we're going to do this, we should start trying on that southward lee." She pointed. "The slope is gentler there, so if we fall it shouldn't be too bad."

MadEmperor

Ein nodded and climbed down from the outcropping. Once at the specified location, he asked, "So... How does this work? I expect instinct to take over once I'm airborne but I don't even know where to start."

DragonSong

Nani drew her bottom lip between her teeth. "To be honest...I'm not entirely sure myself," she admitted with a small huff. "I've never really properly flown before--I mean, island hoping, sure, but that tends to rely quite a bit on the winds off the water..."

She tilted her head, cautiously spreading her own wings and flexing her shoulder muscles experimentally. With a soft huff, she shrugged and looked up at him. "So far, my only real plan is to...run down that slope, and try to use the momentum for a takeoff. Make sense?"

MadEmperor

Ein nodded, eyeing the slope to calculate his plan of attack. "I always did learn best by doing. But perhaps it's best if I see you do it first. You at least have experience gliding."

DragonSong

Nani nodded firmly. "Right. Okay then."

She spread her wings carefully, rolling her shoulders back, feeling the newness of the strength in those muscles. She took a few steps back, then started jogging down the slope, picking up speed gradually until when she hit the middle of the hill's incline she was nearly sprinting.

Then she jumped, beating her wings downward sharply--and she was flying.

It was much different that long "hops", like she'd employed in their trial by combat, or catching the wind to glide further distances. She could feel the strength in her wings scooping and molding the air beneath them, and it took a few moments before she figured out how to angle her body properly.

She only flew to the base of the hill, then dropped down for a stumbling landing, but she was laughing. The first proper laugh she'd had in a while.

MadEmperor

Ein flashed a grin and chuckled quietly. "Wish me luck!"  he called down to her.

He spread his wings and sped down the slope, faster and faster, until he leaped into the air. With a powerful flap of his webbed wings, he launched himself into the sky. It took him a few frightening seconds to level off, but once he did, he began to feel the natural exhilaration and joy of flight.

The gargoyle repeated her staggering landing, laughing happily. "That! Was! Amazing!"

DragonSong

Nani beamed, then suddenly bounced forward to wrap her arms around his neck exuberantly.

"It was," she agreed with another little laugh. "Imagine doing that with practice!"

MadEmperor

Ein grinned excitedly. "Gods... how did I ever live without this feeling?"

Suddenly registering the rather intimate closeness of her embrace, he flushed, turning his gray cheeks faintly purple. "I... err..." he stammered, unable to form proper word.