Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Underbelly of the World [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, March 11, 2023, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

While River rolled her eyes at the bard, Hana giggled and tossed him another wink.

"I swear to all the gods, the two of them are going to give me a heart attack," the wolf shifter muttered, glancing to her mate with a long-suffering expression. The corners of her mouth softened quickly though, and she briefly looped her arm through his so she could hug his arm to her chest and kiss his cheek.

"I'll see you soon."

"I have a friend who travels in and out of Zantaric," Hana piped up, "he usually stays at an inn called The Red Moon. Let's meet there at dusk?"

MadEmperor

"As good a place as any." Kah nodded and gave River one last peck before he walked over to join Thrax. "We should probably get started."

Thrax chattered the whole time as the pair walked off.

DragonSong

Hana shot River a quick smirk as the other two walked away. "Think they'll avoid killing each other?"

River huffed a quiet laugh and shook her head at the fox. "C'mon. Let's see if we can find a buyer for this thing."

Asking around Zantaric if anyone was interested in purchasing a demon-steel blade would have put a target on their backs almost as fast as if Kahroan had waltzed into the city in full dragon form. So, the two women tried to be more subtle, pretending they were looking for a job while they kept an eye out for any potential armor smiths or traders.

MadEmperor

They were directed to a merchant who dealt in rare weapons and armor, especially the kind recovered from monsters and dark ruins. Their shop was located in a dark alley, because where else would someone peddle totally-reputable-and-not-at-all-cursed items?

As they stepped inside the dingy shop, a form popped up behind the counter. "Good day, good day, good day!" cheerily greeted the strange, haphazardly armored figure in a strangely high voice. "Welcome to Fuzbit's Fantastic Finds! How may Fuzbit help you today?"

DragonSong

Oh boy.

Hana and River exchanged a glance, then the fox stepped forward to smile at the proprietor. "Well, we're hoping maybe we can help Fuzbit, actually," she said brightly. "D'ya happen to know of anyone who might be in the market for an...abnormal sort of blade?"

MadEmperor

"Abnormal how?" The proprietor tilted its head sideways at an impossible angle. "Perhaps Fuzbit interested."

Kahroan and Thrax took great care to only ask about the "rumor" that Validor robbed someone he shouldn't have. So far, they have gotten conflicting versions of events. In one version, he took a wagon full of gold from a dark elf. In another, a cursed painting from someone called the Red Countess. Nothing about a music box. So they kept looking.

DragonSong

"Abnormal like...left behind by a visitor. A very, very angry visitor. From a hell realm," Hanako replied, her smile never slipping.

"Pssst. Hey."

A small figure tried to flag down Thrax and Kahroan as they passed an alley. They were entirely bundled up in a cloak, good up, so not a hint of their features could be discerned. They seemed to look around furtively before saying, "Heard you been askin' bout old Vali, yeah?"

MadEmperor

Fuzbit reeled back. "No, no, Fuzbit no buy demon weapon. Not even from fellow hoomans." They leaned forward conspiratorially, whispering even though the shop was empty. The voice was coming from their chest. "But can tell you who buy, for a price."

The pair ducked into the alley. Thrax looked down from his great height, asking, "Who wants to know?"

DragonSong

"And who is that, exactly?" River asked, arms folded and one eyebrow quirked

After half a day of trekking around Zantaric, she was starting to second-guess their decisions to sell the thing at all. They didn't really know what it could do—what if it fell back into the hands of someone like Validor?

The hooded figure took a few steps back, maintaining the same distance between themselves and the inhuman pair.

"The rightful owner of that pretty little trinket," they replied, sounding amused. "You do have the box, yes?"

MadEmperor

Yes. Keep it. How better to protect what is yours.

"No good brother, yes? Money, and I tell you where find," said the "hooman" merchant.

"Maybe we do, maybe we don't," Kahroan responded, not getting any closer, "How can we know you are who you say we are?"

DragonSong

River started a bit, surprised by the thought. She frowned, then shook her head and refocused as Hana rolled her eyes.

"Fine. Two copper bits and you tell us who we're looking for," she started to haggle.

The diminutive figure chuckled and seemed to spread their arms wide under their robe. "This is Zantaric, stranger. No one is who they say they are."

Tone becoming abruptly less amused, they added, "If you're looking to stay on the boss's good side, you'd best head to the half-burned temple outside the western gate. Dawn tomorrow."

MadEmperor

"Five. And Fuzbit tell you password too," the bizarre shopkeeper countered.

Kahroan opened his mouth, but Thrax cut in. "Tell your boss we'll be there."

DragonSong

Hana sighed theatrically, but she handed over the coin. "Alright, Fuzbit. Whaddya got?"

"Good good." The figure nodded quickly. "I will tell the boss. Don't be late."

Giggling incongruously, they turned and darted down the alley, seeming to simply disappear once they reached the end—likely utilizing some tiny gap only they'd hold fit into.

MadEmperor

The obviously disguised shopkeeper scooped the coins into a receptacle with small hooked pole. "Half-burned temple outside west gate. Come at dawn, yes?"

Kahroan looked at Thrax as they left the alleyway. "You sure he isn't just going to rob us."

Thrax simply shrugged. "We're out of time for today anyway."

DragonSong

"At dawn," Hana repeated with a nod.

She linked her arm through River's as the two women walked back out into the main thoroughfare. "Let's head for the Red Moon," she said with a meaningful nod toward the setting Sun. "It'll be dusk soon—the boys have probably already beat us there."

River nodded in agreement, but she was frowning as she turned over the strange little shopkeeper's words. "Are we sure this is a good idea?"

Hana shrugged. "Maybe not. But, speaking for myself, I make better decisions on a full stomach. We'll talk it over with Kahroan and Thrax at the inn."

MadEmperor

They found the boys enjoying a drink and socialize. Well, Thrax was; he was laughing and carrying on with a couple of dwarves. Kahroan was just sitting there looking shy and awkward. The man lit up when he saw River and stood up, clearing his throat to get Thrax's attention. 

The gnoll looked up. "What?" He smiled as he saw the women. "Oh! Hey!" The bard got up. "Sorry fellas, duty calls."

DragonSong

River seemed to brighten just as much as her mate when she caught sight of him, giving Hana a quick tap on the shoulder and a jerk of her head in the two men's direction before quickly weaving her way across the tap room to him.

Hana followed at a slightly more sedate pace, rolling her eyes and mouthing, Couples at Thrax as she got closer.

"So. You get any actual work done, or you just making new friends?" she asked with a crooked grin once she was in earshot.

MadEmperor

"Oh, we got a lead alright. Or a trap. One or the other." Thrax grinned as he came around the table.

Kah jerked his head toward another table. "Let's discuss this somewhere more private, shall we?"

DragonSong

"That is probably a very good idea," Hana agreed, seeing the open table Kah indicated tucked into a corner. A miracle, really—Zantaric was the sort of place one really assumed any shadowed corners would be claimed automatically.

"We have our own lead-maybe-trap," the kitsune said as she took a seat. "But I imagine ours is probably less fraught, seeing as the sword isn't stolen. The we know of."

MadEmperor

Kahroan waited until River sat down before explaining. "Somebody covered in a cloak told us to bring the box to some ruined temple outside town. He was pretty shady, but he was the first to know anything about a box to begin with, and we didn't actually mention it."

"I couldn't get a good sniff, but he was the right size to be a goblin. I've never met a goblin that can be trusted," Thrax added.