Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Transported to Another World and Dropped in Magic Goo

Started by MadEmperor, January 16, 2024, 02:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Connor, too, could understand how magical power, like he had just harnessed, could lead a magician—mage?—astray. He hoped he never let himself become drunk with it.

"I just hope accepting its help doesn't turn me into something that gets attacked on sight like you do. Being green will be a big enough problem if I ever get home." His desire to get home seemed not to be entirely genuine, like it was just what he was supposed to want.

Nahashsan

"There are a lot of diversity here, I think you can find a place to fit in." They said with a reassuringsmile.  "Do you want to rest or are you go to keep going, I would like to make it to a cave I know before night fall." They asked.

Big as they were it was still dangerous to be caught out in the open at night.

MadEmperor

"I'm surprisingly good to go," he answered after a few seconds spent gauging his energy level. It seemed to him that whatever magical organism—which needed a name—had taken up residence in his cells was keeping its end of the bargain. What was that called again? Right, symbiosis. He had a symbiote. Sweet.

"I'm already more fit than I was. Which, admittedly, wasn't very." He flashed a self-deprecating smirk and motioned for Besach to lead the way. "While we walk, you can tell me what there are other than humans, elves, and demons."

Nahashsan

Besach took them back to the trail they had been following before the attack. At a brisk walk, they led them down the trail.

"Besides humans, elves, and demons, there are dwarves, kobolds, and many types of shifters, people that can turn into animals." They thought for a moment "We might run into some kobolds actually. They have many small villages in the jungle."

MadEmperor

"Wait... kobolds? Are we talking friendly sprites or little dragon-worshipping lizard people?" he asked, vaguely remembering stories from his world. He wasn't sure he wanted to run across the latter. Though maybe they weren't monsters here. He couldn't logically assume they'd be the same.

Nahashsan

Besach only knew of one type of kobold. "The dragon worshipping lizard ones" they replied. "They worship a pair of dragons known as the emerald twins but I've never seen them" they added

MadEmperor

"Let's hope we don't change that. I'm not yet mentally prepared to meet one dragon, let alone two," Connor answered. "My world doesn't have anything that size that might also try to eat you. Not for millions of years, anyway."

He glanced up at the sky through the jungle canopy and idly wondered what time of day it was there. If he were still home, then it would be dark by now. Were the days longer or were the hours simply not aligned? Or had his transport to this new world taken more time than the instant he had perceived?

Right. Like I didn't flunk basic college physics. It doesn't matter anyway.

Nahashsan

They picked their way through the jungle navigating the overgrown trail. What little sun light that did reach the jungle floor was starting to turn orange then red.

"Suns setting, we need to pick up the pace if we don't want to sleep out in the open." They remarked as they started to walk faster.

MadEmperor

Connor hurried to catch up, not wanting to get caught outside at night with creatures like those electric cat-lizards around. The nocturnal predators would only be even more dangerous.

By the time Besach's cave came into view, it was as close to night as it could be without actually being night. Any later, the hapless human would have overlooked the dark opening entirely. "Considering my total lack of survival skills, you probably won't be surprised to learn that I've never slept in a cave before. It's becoming crystal clear just how sheltered my life has been."

Nahashsan

Besach lead the way up to the cave's mouth which was on the face of a outcropping. A small stream trickled out and down the slope.

"You'll be fine, now make yourself comfortable while I get a fire started" they said as they climbed the slope to the cave.  Inside was a stash of firewood and a flint and steel.  Soon a inviting fire graced the entrance to the cave.

MadEmperor

Connor took a seat on the ground by the ring of stones serving as a fire pit. Reaching out to warm his hands, he wondered again if he would ever get back to his world—or if he truly wanted to. He hadn't exactly been happy with his life there.

"What's this world called, anyway?" he asked upon realizing that he had overlooked such an obvious question.

Nahashsan

Besach sat across from Connor "the world as a whole is called Earth, we are on the southern tip of the continent of Le'naara.  What about your world?" They ask now curious.

MadEmperor

Connor blinked in surprise and barked a laugh. "Oddly enough, we also call our world Earth. And I lived on the continent of North America, in a country rather uncreatively called the United States of America."

"What kind of society will I have to adapt to? Like, are there nobles and stuff I should try to avoid or what? My homeland has no nobility, just really rich people who act like they are."

Nahashsan

Besach thought about the question for a moment.

"Most of the countries are monarchies but there are a few free cities which are rough places or so I've heard. Beyond that I'm not much help. I've spent a lifetime avoiding society." The replied with a small shrug

MadEmperor

"Well, it's more than I would know if you didn't find me." He shrugged back.

"I hope the people I meet in town are half as kind and understanding as you are." He paused, feeling self-conscious. "You seem like a nice guy—err, being—is what I'm trying to say."