Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Turn and Face the Strange [DragonSong]

Started by MadEmperor, January 18, 2023, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

"Why?" He gave her a rare mischievous, sidelong look with a smirk in his one visible eye. "Expecting you to bring a nice young wolf home, with pups in tow?"

His expression fell just a little when he realized that might well be exactly it. And bringing up children even casually? Why would he even do that?! What was he thinking?!?

DragonSong

Almost despite herself, she laughed. "Well—maybe, actually. Or, I guess..."

She bit her lower lip and glanced away. "It's...I, um...I had a wolf. Before. But he wasn't exactly what someone would call nice. When I left, and my family found out—I dunno, I haven't really...done this since then. They might be a little, errr...protective."

Admitting even that much was hard; she couldn't meet his eyes, still feeling the guilt and shame, even though she knew it wasn't logical. Shaking her head, she tried to lighten her voice as she added, "They should warm up to you quick though—I like you, and that should be enough for them."

MadEmperor

The dragonman took her hand in his and rumbled soothingly. "Protective, I can handle."

Their tender moment was interrupted by the passing serving girl who, in a not-so-charming uncultured accent, asked, "Cans I git ya two lovebirds anythin'?"

Embarrassed, Kahroan stammered, "Y-yes!" He regained his composure and ordered drinks and, for himself, a warm stew.

While they waited, and while they ate, the state of companionable silence that they often shared returned. The occasional tender gaze and gentle squeeze of each other's hand were all they needed.

The following morning...

The two had a lot to do before noon, when the caravan was set to arrive. First, at the arms & armor shop, Kahroan sold back the cheap spear he had used to slay the bear. He then bought something better and a few pieces of plain steel armor that his newfound strength would allow him to move around in as nimbly as leather.

By the time they bought fresh travel supplies, the small trade caravan had pulled into the sleepy town early. It soon became a bustle of activity as goods were delivered, received, loaded, and unloaded in the never-ending cycle of commerce.

As they stepped back onto the street, they saw a scholarly-looking trader approaching the tavern. Kahroan looked at River and nodded. "Looks like it's showtime."

DragonSong

"Looks like." She gave him a crooked smile and a nod. "See ya on the other side, then." She paused, then leaned up to peck his cheek.

Then she dropped onto all fours, her tail curving up and wagging once as she settled into her wolf form. She gave herself a little shake, then looked up at him and woofed softly, jerking her head toward the trader that had ducked into the tavern.

Dunno if he's in charge, but he's a least a good place to start, yeah?

MadEmperor

"Yeah. He looks promising." He nodded and followed the trader into the tavern.

He paused to consider his approach before walking up to the man. When the man didn't look in his direction, he cleared his throat and asked, "Excuse me, but are you with the caravan?"

DragonSong

"Mm?" The trader turned, looking distracted. "Oh—yes. Yes, I am. Sorry, but if you're looking to speak about the goods for sale I can't—"

He finally seemed to register who he was talking to and his eyes went a little wide. Even in Serendipty, Kahroan stood out. "Well! Ah...pardon, and you are?" the man stammered out, clearly trying to recover some good manners.

River chuffed and rolled her eyes. Even sitting beside Kahroan, her head came up to his hip, and the slight noise drew the trader's attention. He blinked rapidly.

A dragonman and a wolf. Just...sitting in the tavern. Alright then.

MadEmperor

Kahroan extended a hand. "The name's Kahroan, and this fine creature is River. Don't worry, she's friendly. Anyway, I'm hoping there's room in your caravan for a hunter, a guard, or even just some extra muscle."

He did his level best to appear trustworthy as he added, "And you can't count on me not to use what little magic I have while in Connloath."

I just hope they don't try to confiscate this damned brooch. I don't know what it might make me do to keep it.

DragonSong

Fine creature? River gave him a wolf's best approximation of a smug smirk.

"Er...well th-that's, ahem..." The trader waffled a moment, then took his hand with a bemused of relatively friendly smile. "I'm called Darin. And I'm sure you'd be a great fit for a guard, but I'm not exactly in charge of hiring." He paused, then said thoughtfully, "I could introduce you to my brother—he's really the one you'd have to convince. I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of pay?"

That was a good question. River cocked her head. I'm not overly fussed about it. We really just need to get through the valley—though some extra coin never hurts.

MadEmperor

"I don't need much. I'm mainly looking to get as close to the Kilanthro Mountains as you can take us. I'd take a ship, but I can't find one that will take on the both of us."

"So please do, if you think he'll take us."

DragonSong

"Right, yes, of course. Err..." Darin scratched as his cheek and asked sheepishly, "Do you mind terribly if I fetch a drink first? We've been on the road since before dawn and I'm a bit parched, to be honest."

River growled in a annoyance and huffed. Human niceties, of course.

Darin gave her a vaguely wary look. "You, ah, you are sure she's...tame?"

MadEmperor

"Yes. She just knows I'm anxious to get going. We're in sync like that," he chuckled, "I know impatience won't make things go any faster. Besides, it's not like they'll leave without you."

"So by all means, take your time."

When Darin finally took them to his brother Zane, Kahroan had just about convinced himself that they were being jerked around. Zane looked them over and agreed to take them on at a fair wage, though not as much as the guards that had been with the caravan for a long time or the ones with military training.

"Well River, what do you think?" the dragonman asked her, gently scratching her behind the ears to sell the claim that she was a pet.

DragonSong

River whuffed and leaned into his hand, tail wagging twice. She could play the pet as the situation required—and, though she would be hard pressed to admit it, the wolf really liked ear scratches.

She leaned against his leg, for all the world little more than a simple wolf. It's not bad pay; we could certainly do worse. And it'll only take us two weeks or so to get through the valley.

MadEmperor

Kahroan patted her side, nodded, and turned his attention back to Zane. "We'll take it."

The agreement having been reached, he was handed over to the head guardsman to be shown his sleeping arrangements and, of course, what he would be doing and when. The dragonman took it all in with patient attention. By the time that was settled, the caravan had packed up and was ready to go.

As the wagons began to move, the due took their position along the caravan for their shift in the rotation. He looked down at her affectionately and whispered, "I'm going to miss your hand in mine."

DragonSong

That shouldn't have made her stomach flip, but it did. Even as a wolf, it seemed she wasn't immune to the fluttery reaction he seemed to occasionally spark in her.

Dropping her head and letting her tail wag once a she glanced up at him sidelong—a wolf's version of a blush—she replied. Me too.

Huffing, she walked a little closer to press against his leg. It's just two weeks though. It'll go by before you know it.

MadEmperor

Kahroan gently stroked her back. "Not fast enough."

It was hard to pretend she was any less than she really was. Even though she was fine with it, it felt... disrespectful. So it was all he could do to not break her cover by taking offense when one of the others in the caravan treated her like a mere animal.

Almost a week had passed, with them earning coin by taking long walks together. Their one-sided whispers didn't go completely unnoticed, but everyone just thought he was one of those eccentrics who talk to their pets like they can answer. He often wished he could hold her or kiss her, but it was easier than he expected it to be.

Then, he heard a sound he had never heard before; a loud *crack* echoed across the valley that sent the birds flying. Before the dragonman could comment on it, one of the guards ahead of them collapsed as if struck by a crossbow bolt. He ran to check on them, when...

DragonSong

It wasn't the first time she had covered long distances in her wolf shape, but it was one of the few times she'd done it in such a large group. She'd had to play at being an ordinary wolf before, once or twice, but never for so long. And despite her best intentions, it did start to grate on her. A low snarl or a quick, warning snap was usually enough to keep the other caravan members from petting her casually the way Kahroan did, but she would be more than happy when they reached the edge of the mountains and could leave the caravan behind.

Which is what she was dwelling on when the shot rang out, and one of their fellow guards collapsed, bleeding. She froze, instinctive fear holding her in place for a moment as Kahroan rushed forward.

No!

She leaped at his back, knocking them both to the ground as another shot rang out. The caravan was scrambling now, traders and craftspeople hiding in or behind their wagons while the guards started to form a circle.

River crouched protectively over Kahroan, growling, all the fur along her spin raised in a sharp ridge. Gunfire, she tried to explain, eyes searching for the source. This was the one thing she truly feared in Connlaoth. We need to pull back, behind the wagons.

MadEmperor

Kahroan cried out as River knocked him down. Confused, he asked, "River! What are you doi--gunfire?!"

One attacker must have fired early, because a small volley of shots rang out. Three guards went sprawling, one no longer moving, and a bullet struck the ground to their left. Five rifleman. Good shots too. It would take them a while to reload, so now was the time to move.

Kahroan rose quickly, fully comprehending the danger. He didn't want to abandon his job as defender, but he couldn't leave River in the line of fire. So, he scooped her up and ran for the wagons. He took cover behind a wagon and released her.

"Alright, we've taken cover. But we can't just wait this out. They'll attack directly any minute and we agreed to protect the caravan."

DragonSong

River yelped a bit when he scooped her up, but it happened so quickly that she was back on her feet again behind the wagons almost before she could fully process it. And while a majority of her mind was focused on the encroaching danger, there was a small part of her that noted--well, how easily he'd done that. She wasn't light as a wolf.

...Damn.

Okay, focus! She shook herself, then gave him a sharp nod. We did. She looked him over, butting her head lightly against his shoulder. At least you've got proper armor now... She raised her head to scent the air, and a low growl started up in her chest.

Alright. They're coming in from the east, probably over that hillock. She jerked her head to indicate the direction. If I can...maybe I can circle round behind and herd them forward before they've reloaded, that'll be enough to leave them scrambling for a moment or two. You and the others can take advantage.

It wasn't a great plan, but they didn't exactly have time to come up with general-caliber strategy.

MadEmperor

Kahroan didn't entirely like her plan, but he supposed it wasn't any more dangerous than any other fights they had been in. Only his feelings had changed. Besides, it was the best chance they had.

He nodded resolutely. "Okay. Just be careful, alright? If anything happened, I'd..."

DragonSong

I know.

She pressed her head against his shoulder again, nuzzling into the crook of his neck for the briefest moment before she pulled away. She stared at him seriously. You mind yourself.

Her head darted forward once again to press her nose to his cheek, then she was gone, a streak of black fur keeping low to the ground as she swung into a wide arc around the hillock where their attackers had hidden.

Somehow, she managed to get behind them before they noticed her, and so when she gave a low, threatening growl, two of the riflemen reloading actually yelped and nearly dropped their guns.

"The hells was that?!"

She growled again, stalking forward out of a patch of tall grass. Three of the men scrambled back, leaving the cover of the hillock as they frantically tried to speed up their reloading.

"Fuck, shoot the damn thing!"