Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Turn and Face the Strange [DragonSong]

Started by MadEmperor, January 18, 2023, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Kahroan's voice softened. "You are not alone. I am not good travel company either. I have been told I have the sense of humor of a rock."

"It is not my fault their mainlander jokes aren't funny." The serious man actually cracked a small smile.

DragonSong

She chuckled a bit and gave him a dry look. "Hey, don't look at me. I don't get half the things most humans think are funny."

Though the rain had died down, the wind still tugged at her hair and the hem of her tunic. She shivered, wishing she'd had the foresight to pack her enchanted cloak along with the tunic--though she hadn't exactly expected to get caught out in the weather in her wolf form.

Well. She hadn't expected any of this, really.

MadEmperor

A couple of days passed with relative peace. Kahroan's metamorphosis had gradually slowed to a stop, leaving him with a long tail possessing a furry tuft at the end, a complete draconic snout, digitigrade legs, and scales over every inch of his body. Whatever magic now flowed through him was, for the time being, done molding his flesh.

They discovered at breakfast that they were out of travel rations; insects had gotten into the last ones and rendered them inedible. Kahroan frowned at the sigh, still human enough that he would have turned green if he were still able.

"Ugh... vile things. More than one voyage has been ruined by them."

DragonSong

River sighed, nodding agreement as she wrinkled her nose at the ruined rations. "I could hunt for us?" she offered, a little skeptically. She tapped her fingers against her thigh, considering. "I could probably manage to get us some rabbits or something, but who knows how long it would take..."

She sighed again, then added, "Or, we could suck it up and travel through the day with empty bellies. We'll reach a town by sunset if we don't stop."

MadEmperor

He nodded thoughtfully as his cloak fluttered in a momentary breeze. His last article of clothing had given up the ghost as his tail grew, so his cloak was tied about his waist in lieu of trousers. He felt even less human wearing nothing but a dragon's scales under it. To his surprise, he wasn't cold in the least.

"I was a hunter back in Yoreiq. I may not be accustomed to this form, but I can share the burden."

DragonSong

She shrugged. "If you like. Hunting it is, then, I suppose." They'd probably have to spend another night camping in the wilds, but she wasn't necessarily opposed to the idea. It seemed Kahroan wasn't either.

MadEmperor

"You may have to give me a few pointers on using my new senses. And my claws too, if I can find a suitable branch to make into a spear."

He studied his odd, crystalline-looking claws as he spoke, flexing his fingers. They reminded him of ice so thick that it was no longer transparent. Had the layer of ice over his heart been brought to life by his curse?

DragonSong

"Hmm." River cocked her head, considering him. "I'll do my best," she muttered with another shrug. "A wolf teaching a half-dragon to hunt. Who'd  have thought."

Another little shrug—no, a shiver—no, she was shifting, falling forward onto four large paws and setting off into the trees with a glance back over her shoulder to make sure he was following.

MadEmperor

Kahroan followed after her. He was still somewhat careful on his feet, but he was almost used to them already. He may even soon be faster than he was before.

The forest was busy with life. Their presence made the animals nervous; they fled as soon as they noticed the intruders. However, nothing worth hunting had emerged thus far.

He took the opportunity to look for a branch long and straight enough to use for a spear. There didn't seem to be one; the trees were far too gnarled for that. He could make a club, but that would only help with large prey. She would have to teach him after all.

"It appears the time for tooth and claw is upon me."

DragonSong

River glanced back at him, head tilted. Then she suddenly stopped and turned to face him, ducking into a half crouch.

Alright then, dragonboy. She bared her teeth, but the slight wave to her tail made the expression almost playful rather than threatening. Let's see what you've got. Come at me--and use those claws.

She began pacing around him in a half circle, a fairly common hunting maneuver for a lone wolf. Your whole body is a weapon now. Let's see how you wield it.

MadEmperor

His own tail slithered through the air like an angry snake as he crouched low, arms bracing for battle.

"Hmm, interesting; it feels like my body is telling me what to do."

Suddenly, he lunged forward with a swipe of his new arm, his talons glinting like razors in the sun. The movement was swift for a creature of his size, draconic muscles providing a power he had never known. Of course, he was careful not to try to actually connect.

DragonSong

River ducked away from the blow, a little surprised by how quickly he moved. Not bad, she praised, stalking around to his side with her hackles up, eyeing him calculatingly.

You're faster than you look, but how quick can you turn? She darted forward, snapping for his ankle, then abruptly feinted to dodge away again, wondering how quick his reflexes were.

MadEmperor

Kahroan went for her but wasn't quick enough. At that moment, he was too used to the spear and too unused to his body. He had the potential, though, and perhaps with training he would be able to catch her.

"I wish to try again."

A couple more tries later, he had gotten close. But, still, he wouldn't be catching anything quick without an element of surprise. With his ungainly movement on his new legs, that would require either prey to be chased into an ambush or for him to learn how to use his dragon's breath.

DragonSong

After a few more practice bouts, River reared back onto her hind legs and allowed her form to melt back to human, panting lightly as she held a hand up to him.

"Alright, enough for now, I think," she puffed. "You've got...potential. But we should probably save our energy for actually hunting something, don't ya think?"

MadEmperor

"Agreed." He nodded, huffing once like a dragon would as he straightened up. "We shall have to be clever, but that is the hunter's greatest weapon, is it not?"

His draconic face was hard to read, but he seemed to be thinking. "I could hide in the undergrowth, and you could chase the prey towards me. Or, perhaps the other way around is the better strategy, given my size. What do you think?"

DragonSong

River considered, letting her head tilt from side to side. "When I used to play-hunt with my siblings, my brothers were always better at flushing prey than me--maybe you should take that, and I'll see what I can snag?"

MadEmperor

Kahroan nodded again. "Alright."

They soon came across a large doe who was completely unaware of their presence. He left River to set her trap in the agreed-upon spot and circled around to the other side of their prey, careful not to alert it. He started to inch closer as he waited for the right moment. When he was satisfied with his position and believed his companion would be ready, he made his move.

He charged forward, his tail thrashing and his jaws wide open, aiming to be as frightening as possible. The doe bolted in mortal terror, in the exact direction of the ambush point...

DragonSong

River waited until she heard the scampering hooves, then she launched herself from the underbrush and slammed into the dove, sending them both rolling over the forest floor.

She got her jaws around the animal's neck and jerked her head, snapping her spine quickly. She could never make the cleanest kill as a wolf, but it was the best she could do.

Sitting back, she shifted back to human form and gave Kahroan an approving nod. "I usually need a bow to take down a deer without a proper pack."

MadEmperor

"I haven't hunted with another in a long time," he responded appreciatively as he walked back to her, "And never quite like that."

He kneeled down to inspect the kill. "This ought to last us a while if we prepare it properly. Do you have a knife in that pack of yours? If not, these claws of mine should do."

In fact, he was a little excited to find out just what his new body could do. For a hunter, becoming an apex predator was at least interesting. And not just any apex predator, THE apex predator.

DragonSong

River sighed, searching through her pack. "Not a proper butchering knife, no. You don't mind using the claws?"

All in all, Kahroan seemed to be adjusting well to his new body, but she didn't want to push him about it.