Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Matter for Magic [MadEmperor, Imperfect_M]

Started by DragonSong, February 07, 2023, 04:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Kiara shook her head helplessly. She knew he was scared--he wasn't exactly hiding it well--but she didn't know what to do for him. With no better ideas, she moved cautiously closer and put one hand on his other arm. She didn't say anything, just hoped the contact might be comforting, in any way that was possible.

Imperfect_M

"You're asking me to make an assumption," Tathfheithleann sighed in a deadpan. "For legal reasons, I'm obligated not to answer."

The mage regained her composure and calmly dictated a description of Grav's "stinger-" as it was- to the floating vellum that, despite it only being the size of a typical scroll, seemed to have an endless amount of writing space on its surface.

"I don't know the name 'Anton Volke.' The most I can do is make a note of him and send a blacklist request to my guilds," Tathfheithleann explained. "The most I can say with my Alchemy license level is that- alchemically- you are being affected by a Mutagen. Mutagenic Alchemy isn't common, but it's not unheard of. Considering how you haven't turned into a mass of... Mass... You're lucky. Most illegal Mutagens I've seen are more harmful than not."

Tathfheithleann lifted- or rather bade Grav to lift- the young man's leg to test the flexion of his legs. "Let me guess... You've been eating more and get hungry more often?" she asked him as she settled back into her professional, clinical demeanor.
Cynbel 'Zima' Kovac-Graza - Lancer of House Graza

Aksho - Wandering Beast Fae

Beyhe Kanayhen - Weaver, Trader, Legend

Taernichanthach - Knight of the Pale Queen

Rel Usaad - Iron Dragon, back from the dead.

Tá-ngouà-yè-tlokui-à-tsokè - Lizardman, Seeker of the Sun

Tee-kup - Goblin Wizard Extraordinaire!

Calen Ardanel - Vampiric Lord of Castle Luna Nova

Ahib and Vedi - Twin Dryads of the Draconi

Tathfheithleann - Certified Alchemist

MadEmperor

Grav was too busy fretting over the possibility of melting into a quivering mass of constituent elements to immediately answer. When he did answer, he was distracted. "Y-yes. Very much so," he said, cooperating with her instructions.

"Could being stuck with manticore quills without reacting to the poison have told him I might survive his mutagen?"

DragonSong

"Wait wait." Kiara raised a hand. "Illegal mutagens? So...what, Grav is now physically an illegal substance?"

What the hells were they supposed to do about that?

Imperfect_M

"Y-yes," Grav replied. "Very much so."

"A-yep... You're definitely changing alright," Tathfheithleann commented as she clicked her heels together twice. The Halfling girl levitated upwards and over the other side of the chaise. She tested the range of motion of Grav's neck and felt along the young man's muscle to feel for any abnormalities she may have missed. "Lucky for you, the one who did it at the bare minimum knew enough to keep your change slow enough to let you adjust."

"Could being stuck with manticore quills without reacting to the poison have told him I might survive his mutagen?" Grav asked.

"Can't answer you directly. Not legally anyway," Tathfheithleann flatly answered. "But to a more general point, you're kind of supposed to survive. That's-..." The little mage gave an exasperated, sharp sigh. "Point is, any Alchemist who kills a subject should be called a murderer. I don't share my trade with punk Hedge Mages boiling horse urine in their basement."

She rolled her eyes at the thought. Clearly Tathfheithleann had something of an axe to grind with people like Anton Volke. She was certified after all, and what a series of trials that was.

"Wait wait," Kiara chimed in with a raise of her hand. "Illegal mutagens? So... What, Grav is now physically an illegal substance?"

Another sharp sigh from Tathfheithleann. Not at Kiara, but at the elusive Anton Volke. "No. He's not illegal," the Halfling answered. "Your friend here is a victim of a rogue Alchemist among other things."

The little mage floated back down to the floor, reflexively evening out her skirt like that of a schoolgirl hit by a breeze. "My suggestion, as a professional, is to ask the Guild of Chirurgeons to take another look at him. I'll give you everything from my examination here. I'm not a healer; they'll see things I can't. Once they do that, then I'll know what to start researching to treat him, if he needs treatment at all."

MadEmperor

Grav took this all in with a heavy sigh. What was he going to look like by the time any kind of treatment would be ready? What if there wasn't one? And what could she even mean by not needing one?

"What do you mean by no treatment at all? That this could be temporary?" he asked with a sliver of hope. He knew that she couldn't make any promises, but it was the only thing he had to hold on to.

DragonSong

Kiara had a very bad feeling in the pit of her stomach that "temporary" was not what the petite alchemist meant. She didn't voice her fears, not wanting to make Grav feel worse. But she did place her hand back on his shoulder and squeeze lightly in an attempt at encouragement.

Imperfect_M

"What do you mean by 'no treatment at all?'" Grav asked as Tathfheithleann plied her trade. "That this could be temporary?"

"Again, ethics. Can't answer that directly," she replied. The mage shuffled over towards her field kit and produced a series of small reagent bottles with a beaker. "An old colleague of mine published a study on mutagens. Most victims of rogue Alchemist cases usually needed some form of treatment in order to get a... How to put it... 'Normal life' back if they wanted one."

She set out her reagent bottles with her beaker on the low table fore of the chaise. Normally it was used as a tea table or coffee table, today it would be a makeshift lab counter. The Halfling snapped her fingers with authority. Blue, crackling sparks leapt from the dull thwip of her finger striking the anvil of her palm, and a ripple like that of a fallen pebble in a pond raced across the table's surface. And just like that it was spotless. Not just clean, but completely sterile. One could practically see their own reflection in the wood varnish.

"Sit back down if you will," Tathfheithleann bade. "And give me a body part you don't mind getting cut. I'm going to take a look at your blood."

MadEmperor

"My... blood? O--okay." He extended an arm towards her, not squeamish about a small cut. To Kiara, his muscles did seem, if not much bigger, more defined.

Once examined, it was evident that his blood wasn't technically human anymore. However, what exact creatures Volke had used for his serum was a total mystery; as far as Tathfheithleann could tell, it could be as many as half a dozen of them. Only a very skilled alchemist could pull off a stable fusion of so many lifeforms.

DragonSong

"Oh, that's..." Kiara trailed off with a frown as she stared at his arm, not sure if she should voice the observation. But, well--all data was useful, right?

"Um, Ser Tathfheithleann? Not sure how relevant this is, but, ahh...I just noticed that is seems like Grav has gotten...fitter?"

Her cheeks went a little red and she looked to her friend, adding quickly, "Not that you weren't before or--I mean it's not something I really noticed--" a bald-faced lie--"Just, um, I mean..."

She waved a hand helplessly at his arm, trying to indicate the definition in muscle that she was sure hadn't been so pronounced even a day ago.

Imperfect_M

Tathfheithleann, ever the professional, gently took Grav by the wrist and snapped her fingers against. Grav felt a sudden surge like lightning across the skin of his hand and wrist. Shocking, perhaps, but certainly not painful. The Halfling drew a circle in the air with her finger and traced along it a second time with tiny, nearly-imperceptible twitches of her gloved digits.

The circle illuminated itself and out from it fell a wooden stylus covered in engravings of beautiful, winding vines. A layman might call it a "wand," and while that would not be a lie, it was inaccurate to the thing's actual function: A magic focus. Tathfheithleann dotted two places on Grav's wrist, or rather more accurately, she marked his blood vessels. Next to them she simply drew the number "3."

"It's not going to hurt," she explained.

The Halfling touched the back-end of the stylus against Grav's wrist. With a flash of light and the scent of ozone, those two marks opened Grav's wrist. They were tiny things, but they were bleeding a lot. The blood, surprisingly, did not fall from his arm. In fact it didn't fall at all. Tathfheithleann held Grav's upturned wrist, and his blood levitated out from the cuts upon him and pooled into a neat sphere levitating just above the site.

One second, then two, then three. On the third, his bleeding suddenly stopped, and his cuts closed themselves, his skin stitching together and leaving two neat, tiny surgical scars.

"Um, Ser Tathfheithleann? Not sure how relevant this is, but, ahh-..." Kiara half-murmured. "I just noticed that it seems like Grav has gotten... Fitter?"

The Halfling, without so much as blinking or breaking focus, gestured at her floating parchment with her stylus.

"Write that down," she told it.

The parchment stiffened as if to salute its enchanter, and Kiara's explanation wrote itself upon its vellum surface.

The floating sphere of Grav's blood was barely the cow's eye. Tathfheithleann released his wrist and the sphere floated to her beaker, depositing itself in it without so much as a single drop splashing against the beaker's walls.

The mage girl had to stand to see over her equipment where a Human could easily sit upon the floor. Halflings weren't particularly tall folk, after all. Her hands moved about her bottles and her stylus like water; the entire process of whatever arcane ritual she was performing was as a single motion. She had the hands of someone who had done this a thousand times, and she would do it a thousand more.

The blood sample in the beaker, mixed with all of those strange liquids, bubbled and blackened. Tathfheithleann tapped the glass with the back of her stylus, and that same black blood suddenly hissed a cacophony as a multitude of vapors and smoke rose from its surface. Yet, those selfsame vapors did not go anywhere, as steam or smoke normally would. Instead they collected in a solid, gray puck beside the glass in defiance of all reason. The Halfling seemed completely unbothered as she examined it with that same cold, clinical expression. After a few seconds, there was nothing left in the beaker; not even a residue.

"Well, you aren't turning into a bug. Or a plant. Or a crab," she said dryly in some attempt at humor. "And your blood isn't doing anything it isn't supposed to do."

Which was, of course, a very simple way of saying "you don't have any form of cancer in your blood." But the Halfling wasn't about to say anything out loud that would cause more questions such as "what is cancer?"

Tathfheithleann dropped her stylus into empty air; the little focus winked out of existence through a circle identical to the one it had fallen out of. She clapped her gloved hands together, and her equipment- summoned or otherwise- snapped to attention like soldiers called to muster. The vellum parchment rolled itself up and underneath it appeared a scroll case. That gray puck settled itself atop the vellum as the entire collective neatly packed itself. Within the minute, Tathfheithleann's entire field kit returned to her backpack and she was left holding a scroll case of hardened leather.

She extended it to Grav and Kiara. "Guild of Chirurgeons. Whoever they send, hand them this; it has all of my notes from today and the results of your blood test," explained the mage. "Absolutely. Nobody. Else. No quacks, no hedge healers, and no village wisefolk. Guild. Of. Chirurgeons. Understood?"

MadEmperor

"Guild of Chirurgeons. Got it." Grav nodded in understanding. He was still disappointed that he had to wait and have his problem advance, but at least there was hope. Maybe he wouldn't be an alchemical mutant forever.

That just left one thing: tilting his head inquisitively, he asked, "Yeah... what's a chirurgeon?"

DragonSong

Kiara raised her hand slightly. "I second the question," she admitted. Most of this was going directly over her head, and she wasn't so proud as to pretend it wasn't.

Imperfect_M

"Yeah... What's a chirurgeon?" Grav asked.

"I second the question," Kiara chimed in.

Tathfheithleann blinked. Once. Slowly. Her face went near-completely statue still as she stood there in abject, stunned silence. When she finally did move, it was a single twitch under one of those lavender eyes of hers.

They didn't know.

The Halfling bit her lip. She almost bit it hard enough to draw blood as she sucked in a calming breath.

"A doctor. A licensed surgeon and healer, both magical and not," she finally answered after a few moments of awkward silence. "There's an organization of them here in Arca; they're certified not to kill patients or give you fake cures. Granted there's supposed to be certifications and tests all over the country, but regulations suddenly cease to exist outside of Arca's walls for some reason or another.

She pinched the bridge of her nose and cleared her throat to try and mask her emotions. "You'll find their clinics all over Arca," she told Kiara and Grav, her voice returning to its usual flat professionalism. "Go in, ask around for someone who understands mutagens, and ask that one to take a look at you. They'll write a record of their notes, or add to mine. The point is, you will get someone to look at you within the day. Every licensed Alchemist knows what 'urgent care' means. And because you got stuck by a rogue Alchemist, you're automatically 'urgent.' I put that in my notes too."

MadEmperor

"Okay." Grav nodded. "I actually get what you're telling us to do now. Sorry, I can be... well, I just don't know a lot."

He gave Linn a weak attempt at a charismatic smile. "Thank you for coming so quickly; we had absolutely no idea what to do or who could help. I won't pretend I wasn't hoping for more answers, but we know more about what we're dealing with now. So, again, thank you."

Such humility from him was... kind of sad.

DragonSong

Kiara nodded to the alchemist, dipping her head in a sort of half-bow. "Thank you," she repeated Grav's sentiment, unsure what else she could say. This woman had come at the drop of a hat and done everything she could to help them—what else could she do but thank her?

"Listen, if you ever...need anything. A favor, a job, whatever. You can call on me."

Imperfect_M

Tathfheithleann already had half-turned on her heel to leave by the time Grav and Kiara offered their thanks. Strange, she thought, that this would be the second time she had heard thanks like this in her lifetime. The first time was when she saved a little Connlaothan girl's life from sickness; though- in Tathfheithleann's mind- she had done little more than treat the fever. She forgot how these things that she took for granted seemed so much more profound to those outside her field.

The little Halfling paused for the briefest of moments, her lips drawing into a line on her features. She looked over her shoulder at the two adventurers.

"Don't thank me. Thank your friend in the Hallis-es," she flatly answered. "The family knows a mage I used to work with."

"Listen, if you ever... Need anything," Kiara told her. "A favor, a job, whatever. You can call on me."

"I'll buy that in now. Go to the Guild of Chirurgeons," Tathfheithleann replied, her tongue a blade point sharpened by years of fallout from people stepping outside of instructions given to them. "All I did was examine him."

The mage removed her silken gloves and replaced them in a little hardleather case on the belt around her dress.

"I'll be as honest as I can, as a professional..." Tathfheithleann explained. "I owed a favor to the Hallis' mage-on-retainer, that's why I agreed to examine you in the first place."

She sighed; this time her breath was a slow, weary one. If Grav and Kiara didn't know better, the look in Tathfheithleann's eye made it seem like the Halfling had just ran herself ragged from days of marching or exertion. The mage clicked her heels together and simply gave the two adventurers a nod before turning to leave. Back to her workshop and her projects. After all, she had a business to run; the Hallis' invoice was already processed.

MadEmperor

Grav watched Tathfheithleann leave, and when she was gone, he looked at Kiara with a sigh. "I guess we're headed to the Guild of Chirurgeons."

He was relieved that there were people trained to deal with his problem but anxious about the lack of a guarantee that anything could be done. This wasn't the kind of adventure he had in mind.

DragonSong

"Right." She nodded quickly. "I'll go tell the Hallises we're leaving—and thank them, I guess."  She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Toffs and their manners."

Her voice was a little too chipper, clearly trying to act normal in an effort to put him at ease, or possibly cheer him up. She seemed to realize how awkward she sounded, wincing a bit and rubbing at the back of her neck.

"If you, ah, can flag down that steward and grab our packs, I'll make our excuses to the master of the house."

MadEmperor

Grav nodded, smiling weakly at her attempt to help his mood. "On it."

He was waiting in the foyer when she finished saying their goodbyes and descended the central staircase. The adventurer had changed back into his clean traveling clothes and was already carrying his pack over his shoulder. He was anxious to get the medical exams over with.