Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Matter for Magic [MadEmperor, Imperfect_M]

Started by DragonSong, February 07, 2023, 04:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Kiara couldn't help chuckling a bit at his wide-eyed wonder. "Yep." She nudged his shoulder lightly. "Welcome to the great wide yonder."

Kit snorted, smoke trickling from his nostrils and blowing the scent of brimstone back to his passengers.

MadEmperor

"No, I mean I can literally see more. It's amazing. Terrifying, but amazing." He snapped his gaze back up before he got dizzy. "Yeah, okay, maybe that's enough contemplating heights for one ride. Seeing better doesn't mean I can fly myself."

He coughed at the smell, wrinkling his nose. "Gah! I can smell better too."

DragonSong

"I knew what you meant," Kiara chuckled. "Hells you can probably see farther than me now—and I've got pretty sharp eyes." She shrugged. "Guess there's a thing or two I can thank Da for."

Kit just snorted again when he complained about the smell, sides vibrating with a rumbled laugh. "We'll be setting down soon enough, I'm sure you can tolerate it for a few more minutes."

MadEmperor

"Yeah, yeah." Grav laughed, mood actually lifted a little. 

They landed in a large clearing deep in a large highland forest. Grav seemed to be amazed by every single thing as Kiara led the way to the mushroom ring. It was almost as if he'd never even seen a forest before. In a way, he hadn't; at least, not like this. 

DragonSong

"Keep up, puppy," Kiara laughed the third time he paused seemingly to stare at a fern. She couldn't really blame him, though—frankly, it was just nice to see him smiling again. Properly smiling. She hadn't realized that she'd missed that.

"Alright, here." She glanced up, one hand raised to shade her eyes. "We should wait for twilight; it's easier to cross the veil at in-between sorts of times."

Kit seemed to have spotted a problem. "Uh, Kiara? I'm not going to fit in that circle."

She winced. "Ah. Yeah. No. No, you're not."

The dragon's eyes narrowed and he growled a warning.

MadEmperor

Grav was feeling more like himself. It wasn't easy, but he was trying to think about everything but the future. That's why, when it struck him that Kiara planned to leave the dragon behind, he realized he had never considered that as a possibility. 

He  looked from the circle, to Kit, and then to Kiara. "Surely we have time to find another way in."

DragonSong

"Even if we did, I wouldn't take it."

Kit snorted, clearly about to protest, but she cut him off: "Kitten, you know I don't like going without you, but you're just too noticeable. We want to be in and out this time." She held the dragon's eyes, voice sympathetic but firm. "Please. Just wait. If we aren't back in two days, you can come after us--I'll leave you the amulet."

Kit looked like he was going to argue for a few moments longer, but then he sighed and let his head hand a little lower. "Fine," he grumbled. "Two days. That's it."

MadEmperor

Grav smiled sympathetically. "Sorry to keep making her leave your side."

Then, he smirked teasingly, eyes twinkling. "And don't worry, I'll make sure she behaves." 

He sidestepped before Kiara could punch him in the shoulder. Mopey Grav was truly gone, at least for the present. 

DragonSong

"Oh, good luck," Kit snorted, "if there's a single feasible way to keep her out of trouble, I haven't found it yet."

Kiara gaped at them both, then folded her arms and glowered. "Y'know what, maybe I'll go by myself, how about that?" She sniffed and tossed her hair, but there was a hint of a grin at the edges of her mouth that revealed she was teasing.

"Make sure I behave," she scoffed. "Like you're any great example of behaving. You think I don't see you eyeing up every pretty girl we pass?" She stuck her tongue out at Grav. Petty? Yes. But she did still owe him for the dress crack.

MadEmperor

"Yes, but I don't rush headlong into dan--" He caught himself in a blatant lie. "Okay, fine, I do that too. But we misbehave differently; together we mostly behave."

"Right?" He had his doubts that he was at all convincing. 

DragonSong

Both Kiara and Kit snorted. "Mostly behave. Alright. I guess it'll do."

Kiara began pacing around the mushroom circle, glancing up at the angle of the setting sun every few seconds, as though she was doing some sort of calculation. "So, crossings like this aren't as...clean as when I use the amulet," she warned Grav abruptly. "I've done this enough times that I should be able to get us close to the library on the first shot, but you'll have to hold onto me. If we get separated, we might end up in different places."

MadEmperor

Grav gulped and nodded. "Noted."

"Is that, uhh, all you mean by not as clean? Or will I lose my lunch? Though I would have last time if I hadn't been running on empty."

DragonSong

Kiara shot him a slightly sheepish look. "Honestly, it might...not be great. It's always easier for me, 'cause part of me, y'know--belongs there. I'm not sure how bad it'll be for you."

There was actually a chance that the alchemical mutagen in his system would make him more recognizable to the faerie lands; but there was just as much a chance that the inherent magic of the place would sense an enemy, an intruder.

Still, she held her hand out to him and said firmly, "One good thing about my fucked up family ties: I do belong there. As long as you're with me, you'll get through."

MadEmperor

"That's all the assurance I need." He took her hand without followed her into the ring without hesitation. The swordsman trusted her implicitly at this point. Even if the less controlled entry into the Fae Realm had unintended consequences, he trusted that she would see him through it. 

"Let's do this."

DragonSong

For a moment, she just stared at his hand in hers, as though surprised he'd actually taken it. Then she shook herself and nodded briskly. "Right. Let's do it."

She looked up to Kit and smiled. "Two days. Not a second more, I promise."

The dragon rumbled and ducked his head to nudge her cheek. "I'll hold you to that."

Kiara kissed the tip of his nose, nodded again, then took a step into the mushroom circle, pulling Grav with her. She squeezed his hand. "You, ah, may want to stand closer to me. And here, gimme your other hand." She turned slightly to face him, holding her other hand up, palm out.

MadEmperor

Grav took her other hand and, for a moment, it looked like they were about to perform a dainty, polite dance of the upper classes. He, of course, noticed this and smirked. "Hello, my name is Lord Incestio von Fancyknickers. May I have this dance, m'lady?"

DragonSong

"Oh my gods." She snorted and rolled her eyes so far back she thought she might see inside her own skull, but she was smiling. With all the grace of someone who spent her life both throwing and dodging knives, she dipped into a theatric curtsy--which was rather difficult to do in breeches. "Of course, good sir."

She tugged him a little closer, feeling magic start to fizzle against their feet. "Careful. It's gonna be a hell of a dance."

Normally, faerie rings were considered dangerous as a portal between realms; mortals who crossed into one could be snatched away by the Fair Folk. But since Kiara had a connection to those same Folk, she was actually the one doing the snatching. In a sense.

Eyes closed, she tightened her hold on Grav's hands and actually seemed to start a sort of dance, stepping lightly into a carefully choreographed circle. And then, between one step and the next, they just sort of...shifted through the veil.

The journey lasted longer than when she had used the amulet or when Aeolthaine sent them through directly. The world seemed less to swirl around them and more to...slide, blending trees to sky to sea, and then slowly resettling itself into something new.

MadEmperor

Grav looked a little green around the gills, but he was holding it together this time. "Uuugh... that is not the least bit fun. Like, at all."

He looked around, noting the large naturalistic structure in the middle distance; like a mortal library, if it were made of mossy stone and living trees. 

"That it?" 

DragonSong

"Yep." She sighed and finally dropped his hands, smiling tiredly. "Damn. We actually got really close. We could be in and out before morning."

She gave Grav a quick look over. "How you feeling? Remember everything I said last time? Same rules--no food, no drink, guard your name, don't ask for anyone else's. Oh, and if you get sick, please do it away from my general direction."

MadEmperor

Grav nodded in understanding. "I dunno. I feel the same as last time, I guess. Maybe a little better. Made my impending fifth limb tingle a little though."

"No, I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'm fine to keep going."

He followed her inside, marveling at the odd building... if it even technically was a building. "Did they seriously grow this place? How is anyone that patient?"