Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Two's Company

Started by DragonSong, October 11, 2023, 06:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Thrax laughed loudly. "I guess that's the best I can hope for from a hermit."

He took more of her hand in his—an easy thing considering the size of them—before raising her hand up for a human-style kiss on the knuckles.

"I just want to make a tolerable impression."

DragonSong

"Oh, I think you'll manage that fine." Her cheeks colored a bit when he kissed her knuckles, and she hesitated a moment, then drew their joined hands together and returned the touch to the edge of his wrist.

"Ah! There we are, see? Just up ahead, through that gap in the trees." She pointed as a small cottage came into view through the break in the woods around them. It was slightly shabby, but not in an "abandoned" sort of way--more in a "well-loved" sort of way.

MadEmperor

"Yep, that says weird hermit alright," Thrax chuckled.

He immediately backpedaled, just in case the aforementioned hermit was listening. "Not that being weird is a bad thing!"

"I think maybe I should let you do the talking," he said quietly, "Before I put my foot all the way in my mouth."

DragonSong

Hana laughed and tugged him along as they drew closer to the cottage. "What's that? Thraxion Swordbreaker has a bit of stage fright?"

She grinned at him, then added in a slightly softer tone, "You'll be fine."

As she reached up to knock at the cottage door, it suddenly swung inward, and they were met with a scowling face barely knee-high on Thrax. He had a shock of slate gray hair that stood up in every direction, and judging by the massive, thick lenses of the glasses perched on his round nose was rather nearsighted. "Yes yes, what?" Tobin demanded irritably, squinting up at them. "What do you want? I don't do visitors."

It seemed Hana had forgotten to mention that her adoptive father was a halfling.

"Well, it's good to see you too, old man," she huffed.

He blinked, then seemed to actually look at his visitors. "Hanako." He folded his arms with an actual "harumph". "Been some time, lass. And who's the walking wall of muscle and shag carpet?"

"Tobin!" Hana protested, eyes widening.

"What, like he doesn't know?" Huffing, the little hermit stood aside and waved them into the cottage irritably. "C'mon in then. I suppose you'll be wanting tea or sommat?"

MadEmperor

To his credit, Thrax didn't seem phased by the rudeness of the question. He had heard much, much worse, after all; Tobin didn't even rate. Normally, however, he gave as good as he got. But, deciding to stay on his best behavior, he took it without counter.

The bard gave a short bow upon entering, introducing himself with good humor. "The wall is Thraxion Swordbreaker: bard, mage, and warrior extraordinaire."

DragonSong

"Oh gods," Tobin groaned as they entered the house, "a bard."

He glowered at Hana. "First time you bring one of your tumbles here, and you pick the bard?"

"Tobin!" Hana protested again, color rising in her cheeks. "He's--he's not a tumble, he's..."

She trailed off as it occurred to her that she didn't exactly know how to introduce Thrax. Suitor? They weren't exactly courting. And "lover" sounded...ech, she just didn't like it. She knew River or Kah would have easily offered up "mate", but that didn't seem right either.

"...My partner," she settled on finally, glancing sidelong at Thrax as she said it.

"Oh." Tobin blinked behind those thick glasses, and for a moment seemed genuinely taken aback. Then he frowned and "hrmph"ed again as he bustled over to clear a small table tucked under the left front window of the cottage. "Well, I suppose that's alright then," he muttered. "How does your partner take his tea?"

MadEmperor

He had only ever had tea in the Kitsune village, so he hadn't formed a preference.

"Got any rum?" Thrax smirked. "Really though, I'll take it however you serve it. I'm  easy to please."

"And, yeah, maybe we started as a tumble," he admitted, "but we really hit it off, and before we knew it, we had caught feelings."

DragonSong

Tobin barked a sharp laugh and cut a considering look up at the gnoll. "I can put whiskey in it," he huffed. "They call that somethin' fancy in pubs and the like, but I used to give it to Hana when she was sick."

Oh boy.

Deciding to nip any of those stories in the bud, Hana glanced around the cottage and noted brightly, "You've changed the layout in here. Didn't that table used to be against the other wall?"

"Oh, shove off," Tobin grumbled. "Since when do ya care about the interior decor of this place? Why don't you and your young man get yourselves cleaned up while I put the kettle on--you both reek of the road."

Hana sighed and closed her eyes. "Charming, Tobbs," she muttered, giving Thrax an apologetic look.

Tobin grunted and waved a hand at her. "I assume you remember where the washroom is?"

"Yeah, yeah." She rolled her eyes and nodded for Thrax to follow her. The entirety of the cottage really only seemed to be divided into two main sections--the kitchen and hearth room where they had entered, and a door set in the back wall that led to the other half of the house. It wasn't hard to figure out where the washroom would be.

MadEmperor

Once they were alone in the washroom, Thrax flashed her a narrow grin. "Oh, I like him."

"He pulls no punches, and he's literally the first person to ever call me 'young man'."

DragonSong

Hana snorted, maneuvering herself in the tiny space so Thrax had easier access to the enchanted wooden tub that was somehow always full of clean, warm water.

"He's something," she chuckled. "I'm just glad he hasn't offended you too badly yet--but give him time."

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "His heart's in the right place. Usually. But he's not exactly a palatable sort of person. Of course, that's intentional on his part." Her expression softened a bit and she flashed a quick grin at him. "But hey, he hasn't tried to kick us out yet. That's a good sign."

MadEmperor

"I've certainly never been rude or obnoxious to get rid of people I don't want to talk to," Thrax said sarcastically as he removed his travel armor and clothing, which was quite awkward in such tight quarters.

Frowning down at the tub, he asked, "This... is going to be a trick. I could wear this tub as a hat."

DragonSong

"Ah." She looked at the tub, then cracked a smile. "Yeah, you're probably right. Here."

She shuffled around him and reached onto the small shelf set into the lip of the tub to grab a wash rag. "He just said to clean up a bit, I doubt he expects us to take a full bath—we've only got until the tea boils, after all."

She handed him the cloth, then grabbed one for herself and dunked it in the warm water before scrubbing at her face and neck with it.

"There's a stream just a little ways behind the cottage," she said. "If he's so fussed about us getting a proper bath, we can use that after tea."

MadEmperor

Thrax nodded quickly. "Right."

With a washrag, the bard washed all the smelliest parts of Gnoll anatomy. After a quick sniff, he wrinkled his nose and washed his armpits again. "There. A significant improvement, don't you think?"

DragonSong

"Mmmm." Hana tipped her head back and forth and tapped one finger to her lips as though deep in thought. "I suppose. But..."

Reaching one hand into the tub, she scooped up a palmful of water and quickly dumped it over his head, then ruffled the fur between his ears so it stuck up damp in all directions. She pulled back with a grin and glinting eyes. "Much better," she said with a theatrically satisfied nod.

MadEmperor

Grinning like a mischievous child, Thrax dipped his washrag in the tub, raised it over her head, and twisted the water out of it.

"Now it's better," he said with a smirk.

DragonSong

Hana squealed and ducked away from the water, then laughed as she shook her now thoroughly wet hair. Indignant, as though she hadn't started it, she exclaimed, "You--!"

A knock at the door cut her off. It was followed by Tobin's irritated call of, "If you two are quite through, tea's on the table. Get out here before it goes cold."

Hana huffed and rolled her eyes. "Spoilsport," she grumbled, but slipped around Thrax to get the door. "Alright, old man, we're coming! Keep your hair on."

MadEmperor

Thrax fixed his fur to the best of his ability and followed her out as soon as he slipped his shirt back on.

"The tea smells good," he observed after a reflexive sniff of the air.

DragonSong

"Mmph." Tobin had drawn the kettle from the hearth and was pouring its contents into three clean but clearly ancient teacups. "S' lavender," he muttered.

Hana smiled--lavender was her favorite--and leaned down to peck his cheek before taking a seat at the small table. "Thanks, Tobbs."

"Mmmph," he repeated, with more emphasis. Jerking his head toward a small glass jar half filled with golden syrup, he grumped, "Honey from the garden hive. You still take two spoons?"

"I do, but I can get it," Hana laughed. Nodding for Thrax to take a seat, she asked, "Having any luck with the snares, then? We ran into one on our way here--you don't normally put them so far west."

"Game's scarce this season," Tobin grumbled. Frown deepening slightly, he added, "So don't be expecting a free lunch around here. You want food, you can help with the chores."

MadEmperor

"I have no problem with that." Thrax took a sip of his hot toddy and let out a thoughtful noise

"Hey Hana? How weird would it be to have honey in my boozy tea?" he asked, genuinely curious.

DragonSong

In response, she chuckled and scooped a dollop of honey into his teacup. "That's how I like mine," she said with a quick grin.

"Most folk just use a bit of lemon," Tobin said dryly. "Never enough for Miss Sweet-tooth, though."

"Something has to make up for your sour disposition," Hana replied brightly.

Tobin grumbled into his tea about how nice the quiet had been until she showed back up.

Hana rolled her eyes. "Oh, don't even pretend you didn't miss me, old man."