Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A New Adventure

Started by DragonSong, March 21, 2023, 04:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@MadEmperor

[Continued from here]

Returning to the pack was always an affair; the teasing and hugs from her siblings, the worrying and pride from her parents, the pestering and joyful giggling from her nieces and nephews. She had left home and returned to it so many times, and yet each time it is like she is being welcomed back into the loving arms of her family as though she had never gone at all.

This time, in particular, had a flavor to it, an anticipation and excitement. Instead of any of her blood siblings, it was Nora who was the first to greet them as River and Kahroan make their way higher and higher into the mountains. She soared above them in her snowhawk form, giving a sharp cry to alert them to her presence.

River tipped her head back and shaded her eyes, then smiled. She touched her mate's shoulder and pointed, waving to the bird with her other hand.

"They must have got my letter," she chuckled quietly. "They've been keeping an eye out for us."

MadEmperor

They had landed in a clearing slightly down slope from the Longfang cabin, deciding there wasn't quite enough room in front of the structure to touch down safely. Besides, a short hike had never bothered the couple one bit.

Kahroan, in his human form, looked up and waved to Nora with a happy smile. "Part of me wishes we hadn't told them about the twins just so we could see how they react. But that's a small, mean voice I prefer to ignore."

DragonSong

River laughed and paused just long enough to tug him down for a quick kiss. "Well...I don't think I actually mentioned twins specifically," she admitted with a slightly sheepish smile. "They know I'm pregnant, but..."

Nora circled them with another hawk's cry, then came in to land a few lengths in front of them, changing to human form once her feet had touched the ground.

"River!"

She launched herself forward, and the shifter caught her in a laughing hug as she began babbling about babies and "a new cousin" and how excited everyone was and--

"And you!"

The mage turned to Kahroan with a beaming smile, hugging him just as tightly. "Come on, come on! Everyone is so excited to see you both!"

MadEmperor

"Us, or the much-requested baby?" Kahroan teased jokingly. He gave River a sidelong look of amusement as the smaller woman tried to force him onward. But, he played along and made as if he was being pulled along.

DragonSong

"You and the baby, you ninny," Nora replied with a laugh, finally releasing him only to link one arm through River's and the other through Kahroan's as they made their way into the clearing out in front of the pack's cabin.

Where they were promptly greeted by a veritable tidal wave of wolf shifters, the entirety of the pack swarming out to meet them, passing both Kahroan and River from one wolf to the next to give hugs and kisses and exclaim how excited they were to see them home, how happy they were about the news, how much they'd missed them both.

MadEmperor

Kahroan hadn't realized just how much he missed the feeling of being totally accepted by a family until then. He was wearing a happy smile throughout the whole welcome, talking animatedly about their misadventures and about how excited he was to be a father.

"We have an update about the baby, don't we, Riv?" He gave her a sidelong smirk.

DragonSong

She glanced at him, biting at her lip to keep from grinning, and nodded. "Well, it's... I guess pack genes are pretty strong," she chuckled after a moment, looking around at her family as they all pressed in close, waiting. "We're having twins."

Silence.

Then:

"Called it!" Ash whooped, while Elise burst into tears and Storm swept River up into a hug so tight she was left gasping for air. River's father grasped Kahroan's forearm tightly and pulled him into a one-armed hug.

"Congratulations, lad," he chuckled, eyes a little wet. "This is...well. It's amazing, is what it is."

MadEmperor

Kah's own eyes got a little wet as he nodded, still getting used to the idea himself. "It is... isn't it?"

"Thanks, everyone. I cou--I couldn't imagine a better fa--a better family to bring a child into." He began to get a little choked up as he spoke, the emotional moment getting to him.

DragonSong

Storm put River own so she could go to her mate and wrap her arms around him, nuzzling into his shoulder.

"We're so happy for you both," Elise said, sniffling, while her own mate wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her into his side, chuckling quietly.

"C'mon, love, let's bring everyone inside. The pups will be so excited to see you," he added to River and Kahroan.

"Akina is watching them," Shadow put in with a meaningful look in Storm's direction.

River's brother groaned and rolled his eyes as the pack started piling inside. "Oh, don't start. We've already got a new set on the way—Ash doesn't even have a mate yet, someone get on his case."

MadEmperor

"Sorry Storm. We're on team baby now." Kahroan smirked. "Joiiin uuus."

He barked a laugh and hugged River tight, kissing her forehead.

DragonSong

Storm grumbled something unintelligible and River reached out to ruffle her brother's hair, chuckling.

As had become tradition for the Longfang pack, new pups meant a new room added onto the cabin. Since River's childhood bedroom was on an exterior wall, Lake had recommended simply extending the space and then dividing it. As far as general construction projects went, it wasn't the most strenuous that the pack had taken on, and with everyone pitching in they expected to be done in a week or so.

Well, almost everyone: Elise had said in no uncertain terms that River shouldn't be exerting herself so much, despite the fact that she was barely showing, which had become an extended argument between mother and daughter.

"And I'm saying I know the limits of my own body just fine, thank you very much," River was grumbling one morning as Elise tried to convince her to sit the project out again.

"Maybe, but seeing as you've never actually been pregnant before, your body is going to have new limitations that you're not familiar with yet!" Elise retorted with a mild glare.

MadEmperor

"It's okay Riv." Kah smiled as he paused working to take a breather. "Let me do all the hard work. I can take it, and you deserve to take it easy."

DragonSong

"I. Am. Fine," River growled, turning her glare on her mate.

"River, would you mind helping me with the pups today?" Sky suddenly appeared in the doorway of the kitchen. "Elwyn wanted to visit Snow, and, well...I know it's a bit last minute but..."

"Oh—oh, yeah, of course I can," River replied after a beat, looking a little sheepish. As she stood to follow her sister out, Sky shot her mother and Kahroan a quick wink.

MadEmperor

Kah shared a "we just got shown up" look with Elise before going back to work with a chuckle.

"You can do it, Riv. Push!" Kahroan urged. He was so close to seeing the first of the twins that he could hardly stand it.

DragonSong

River was rather under too much strain to respond verbally, though the bone-crushing grip she had on her mate's hand served as a sort of answer in its own way. As had the string of names and general curses lobbed in his direction earlier, which Elise assured the dragon-shifter was completely normal and that she didn't actually mean it.

And then, rather all at once, their son was born. Elise quickly cleaned and wrapped the baby, murmuring to River that she should rest while she could, before the second one came along, as the younger twin didn't exactly seem to be on their brother's heels.

"I...what..."

"Here." Elise pressed the squirming infant into River's arms, then brushed her daughter's hair back from her face and kissed her brow before standing with a soft smile. "I'll give you three a moment," she told Kahroan gently. "Shout for me when the second's on their way."

River hardly even noticed her mother leaving the room, staring down at the tiny, wriggling bundle in her arms. "He...he's got wings..." she murmured, tracing the edge of one tiny, vaguely crumpled looking appendage with her fingertip.

MadEmperor

"He's perfect." Kah smiled broadly, sighing happily. Leaning over to kiss her forehead, he said, "And the other one will be perfect too."

"For our sanity, I hope its a girl," he chuckled happily.

DragonSong

She chuckled tiredly and leaned into him for a moment. The baby in her arms wriggled a bit, little fists clenched, and she smiled as she gently pressed a kiss to the center of his brow, between the two tiny, soft bumps that she figured meant her children would have horns as well as wings.

"Here." She twisted to pass the baby into Kahroan's arms. "Take him."

Suddenly gasping, she added quickly, "And--call my mother back in here. Now."

MadEmperor

Before he could even kiss his son, Kahroan was yelling for Elise.

"What's wrong?" he asked, concern and worry written all over his face. "Can I help?"

DragonSong

"Just--contraction," River managed to gasp, and then Elise was there, helping her daughter stand and walk around the room as she worked through the labor pains.

"Kah, I'm sorry, but some space would be good, and that little one is going to be crying again soon," Elise murmured to him as she settled River back onto the bed, nodding to the baby he held. "Could you wait outside with him? Or Lake could take him, if you'd rather be in here with her."

She spoke calmly, but quickly; it was clear that after having been through this herself, and then coaching both Sky and Nora through it, she was quite familiar with the rhythm of pack births.

MadEmperor

Kahroan nodded, turning his attention to his mate. "I'm coming right back, okay?" He slipped out to go hand the baby over to Lake.

Outside the room, he paused to breathe. She was okay. She was going to be okay. He had been a little worried for a moment there.