Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Family Business [M]

Started by DragonSong, September 25, 2023, 11:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Oh! Right! Of course."

Shyla shot to her feet, cheeks warm, and nodded in the direction of the other healer's voice. "Yeah, I'll just, um...see if they need anymore help setting up. I'll see you later, Fell."

MadEmperor

She arrived in the outer bailey just as the music began. The space had been converted over the years into the tiny village where the pack primarily lived; the keep had long since become too small for all of them to live comfortably, even with their reduced numbers. The square all the way to the main floor of the keep had been decorated and was already full of merry revelers.

Wyn came running up from among the throng. "Auntie Shy! Auntie Shy! They have candy apples!" he beamed, holding up his half-eaten confection.

DragonSong

"They do for now," Shyla laughed when she heard her nephew's voice and automatically knelt to be closer to his level. "Something tells me they won't last long with you and the rest of the pups running around."

She chuckled and reached out to shuck him lightly under the chin before offering her hand. "C'mon, why don't we see if we can find your Mum and Da? They should be here by now."

MadEmperor

"Mum and Da are at the Alpha's table. I think they're waiting for you," the little boy answered as he took her hand. "I bet it's for something boring."

DragonSong

"I bet you're right," Shyla laughed, allowing him to lead her through the throng to the aforementioned table. They were stopped several times so those members of the pack who had not yet been able to speak to Shyla since her and Aeris' return from Moon could enthuse their thanks and congratulations.

Luckily, she was able to use "I'm sorry, my brother wants to speak with me," as a get-out-of-this-conversation-no-questions-asked card, and Wyn would happily back her up with a child's absolute lack of guile.

MadEmperor

When they made it to the Alpha's table, they found the happy couple engaged in conversation, with one of a line of Ulfars expressing the same thanks as those who had stopped her. He hid it well, but she knew as well as Rae that he hated every second of being put on a pedestal.

Wyn looked up at her and said, "Yep. Boring."

DragonSong

With a sinking feeling that her dear brother was about to throw her to the wolves—literally—Shyla nodded agreement with her nephew.

"Thanks, Pup." She tousled his hair and gave his hand a little squeeze before letting go to approach the table properly. "Gauwyn said you wanted to see me, Alpha?"

MadEmperor

Aeris loudly patted the empty seat next to him. "Yes!  Come, sit; you have as much right to a seat of honor as I!"

He didn't sound drunk but he did sound a little tipsy. It was good that he felt he could actually enjoy himself for once. Either that, or he was trying to drown out the effusive, unwanted praise he was getting.

DragonSong

Shyla snorted quietly, but took the seat. "A right to it, or you just want someone else to split all this attention?" she muttered to her brother under her breath.

Realta, on Aeris' other side, snorted quietly as she pulled out a seat for her son—who seemed just as happy to be there as Shyla, and was even worse at hiding it.

MadEmperor

"It can be both." Aeris smirked and, though she couldn't see it, it was the only possible expression he would show.

"They deserve to be heard, even if it makes us uncomfortable. This is a one-of-a-kind occasion and if expressing gratitude lets them share in the victory, it's a small price to pay."

DragonSong

"Yeah, yeah." Though she grumbled, Shyla smiled and accepting the pack's praise and gratitude with surprising grace--it seemed she'd learned something from shadowing Aeris all those years after all.

Finally, blessedly, it was time for the actual feast. And if there was one thing that could distract an excited Ulfar, it was food. The wolves--humanoid, canine, and lycan shapes alike--all scurried to find seats of their own or begin helping to pass roast-laden plates amongst each other.

MadEmperor

Aeris, like any good Ulfar, was all wolf as he tore at his leg of lamb. Table manners were not among the virtues of members of the Ulfar bloodline. They preferred to bite and tear their meat over the more civilized utensils provided for those married or adopted into the pack.

There was precious little conversation, as even Wyn was rendered unable to speak by mouthfuls of food. The humans, likewise, focused on eating, taken in by the enthusiasm of the moment. But it wouldn't last long; Ulfar feasts always ran dry quickly.

DragonSong

Shyla tucked into her own food eagerly, with the same enthusiasm as any proper wolf--considering she'd been with the pack essentially since she could walk, it was hardly surprising.

In a pause to sip at a cup of dry ale, she tipped her head fractionally toward her brother and asked softly, "Have you thought about when you'll have to deal with the council?"

MadEmperor

Aeris frowned. He had hoped to avoid the subject a little longer. He was supposed to be enjoying his greatest victory, even if there were a few loose ends remaining. "We'll have to select the new members before any new business, and that includes sentencing for the traitors we haven't dealt with yet," he answered discreetly.

"Then, maybe we can truly put the dark times behind us," he added hopefully.

DragonSong

Shyla smiled slightly and reached over to touch his arm. It was still a small shock to feel skin instead of fur. "They will," she murmured. "We can."