Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire and Frost

Started by Ramon, December 22, 2011, 12:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramon

Drest paused to catch his breath, watching the mist cloud stream away from his nose and mouth and disappear after a few moments. This was it, his first real trip on his own. Sure, there was the process of actually getting to the northern area, accomplished by paying passage on a boat in Serendipity and gradually working his way north on a variety of other ships. Sometimes he had paid for the trip, sometimes he had worked for his passage - either way, it had brought him to Hyoite without too much trouble. The young man had traveled with others heading north, but now he was on his own, a day's walk west of the village of Hyoite for which the reason was named.

He wasn't cold, although the temperatures were quite possibly the coldest he had ever experienced. Careful focus and breath regulation allowed him to use fire magic to warm his body, keeping him nice and warm. Hopefully he could do the same thing when it was freezing cold, but for now, the fire magic was comfortable. Shifting the pack on his back and checking to make sure the harness to the sledge he was pulling wasn't tangled, he set off again across the barren landscape. He had been informed that there was a temporary village near here where he could trade for further supplies and get and idea of what to do next, but first the young man had to find it. A faint trail was his only guide, but he was getting tired and would have to stop soon and make camp, despite the fact that the sun was still high in the sky. "Can't be lost. Just can't be." he muttered stubbornly to himself, focusing on the trail at his feet. The settlement was close by, he knew it...he was just walking slow due to the unfamiliar territory that's all, and it was taking him longer to reach it than directed. He wasn't lost at all!

GoblinFae

She stood very still, meticulously examining the end of the muddy hoof-print trail she had been following for the past hour. Even in the summer the tundra's temperatures were cold enough to freeze the earth and snow, making tracking a nasty challenge. 'Left or right Zurna?' she thought swiveling her head slowly in each direction.

Listening closely she detected the faint sound of snow crunching to her right. Looking in that direction she noted a bulky shape moving behind one of the snowbanks. 'It's an easy 200 yards. I can hit that.'

Swiftly and silently she assumed an archer's stance, notching a green feathered arrow into place. "Remember to breathe," she quoted under breath. Then, with the exhale, she let the bow sing, her arrow flying straight and true.

Of course that would be the moment the figure would step into view revealing not an elk, but a person. Her heart leaped into her throat as she took off in a dead run towards the figure. "Look out!" she screamed. 'Reason number fifty-six why I hate summer.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Ramon

In. Out. In. Out. Drest kept his breathing steady as he picked a path across the half-frozen ground, trying to choose a route that wouldn't yield too many bumps while keeping him close to the faint trail he was following. As such, he had his head down, figuring that he would easily hear any predators coming before they attacked. He had figured wrong. "Look out!" a shrill cry caught his attention, and the young man barely had time to register that he was being attacked before his instincts took over, his body dropping straight to the ground. He lay motionless for a moment, slowly piecing together that someone had apparently shot an arrow at him, then yelled at him to look out. Wait. That made no sense.

Surging to his feet, Drest threw back his hood and faced his attacker, ripping off one thick mitt and summoning a fireball the size of his fist which hovered above his bare palm. "What in Kaldar are you doing?!" he roared in Common, focusing completely on his attacker. No, he didn't really want to use his magic, but a little intimidation might prevent a full-out brawl if he was smart about it.

GoblinFae

Running up to the enraged figure she began to apologize profusely. "Oh Ansgar, are you alright? I didn't mean to, honest. Are you hurt? Did I hit you? I'm so sorry I thought you were the elk I've been tracking. I meant no harm," she rambled.

The fireball in the man's hand never even registered as a threat to her. Zurna was too busy apologizing in earnest to see his aggression. Feeling guilty, she began to run her hands along his arms and chest checking for injury.

"I'm so sorry," she moaned as she began to cry great hiccuping sobs. "I'm such a fool! I could have killed you. Please forgive me," she begged before starting the round of apologies all over again.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Ramon

Drest stiffened as the would-be attacker rushed up to him, half-expecting a blade to appear in their hand. But no, they were...apologizing? And wait, his attacker was a girl?! He had seen a few female hunters in the main village, but hadn't thought much of them at the time. "Uh...Well, if it was an accident..." he mumbled, honestly having no idea what he was trying to say. The fact that she had mistaken him for an elk was both somewhat funny and rather angering, but the young man was too confused to make much of it. His fireball fizzled out as the girl began to run her hands over him, bare hand dropping limply to his side.

"I'm fine, I think." he muttered, trying to make sense of the bizarre situation he found himself in. "H-Hey! I said I'm fine!" Drest yelped as the girl began to sob and apologize at the same time, pulling away from her slightly. Was it because he had gotten angry that she was crying? Or was she just overly emotional? More confused than ever, the red-head stared at the huntress for a few moments, then frowned.

"Hey now, stop that. I'm fine, see?" he said loudly over her crying, wiggling out of the sledge harness and pack before doing a slow circle for her she she could see for herself. "Besides, it'll take more than an arrow to finish me off." he boasted, tugging his mitt back on and facing her again. "And...it was an accident, so I guess I forgive you." he added, looking away over the tundra. He didn't really like saying that, but she had asked for forgiveness. Maybe now she would stop that pointless crying.

GoblinFae

Zurna sniffled one last time as she wiped the quickly freezing tears from her face. "I really am sorry," she repeated more calmly. "It's just I'm excellent shot and I haven't..." she paused nervously licking her lips. "I haven't made a mistake like that in a long time. If you hadn't moved," she informed him, bowing her head, "you would be dead."

For a moment she paused in reflection, her face haunted by the past. "Where are my manners? I'm Zurna Nali," she stated cheerily with a twinkle in her eye. "After surviving being shot at, I think you deserve a drink. If you can stand my company, I would be willing to provide you with one." Then with a laugh she added, "I promise not to shoot you, again."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Ramon

Good, she had calmed down. Drest didn't know what he would have done if she had kept on crying - he really wasn't good around females, especially hysterical ones. "Then it's a good thing I moved, 'cause I'd hate to be dead." he replied with a faint smile, stooping to pick his pack off the snowy ground and putting it on without the weight tipping him over. "I'm Drest Teine, of Serendipity." he responded, glancing up from buckling the sledge harness back on. She probably had no idea where that was, but he stated his home country anyway. It showed just how far he had come.

"Yeah, I think I definitely deserve a drink after that." he echoed, facing her fully and finally taking a closer look at Zurna. She was pretty, he supposed, although it was hard to tell with all the clothing she wore. Drest smirked at her last comment, asking, "So there's a village nearby, then? I was told there was a temporary one in this area. Or is it just a camp you've made?" Drink or no drink, finding out exactly where he was was important if he was going to make it on his own.

GoblinFae

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance Drest. You are an awful long way from home. I hope it is not due to misfortune. So many people come here to escape old lives. You never know who you will meet next in the tundra," she said knowingly.

"I wouldn't exactly call it village. My family and I live together in a close-knit circuit of tents. That way when the men or women leave there is always someone to look after the children. I guess most people mistake us for a village because of how many of us there. I can't really explain it; you'll just have to see for yourself."

Zurna paused to look at him. He wasn't really that much bigger in size than her. 'If he plans to stay in Sionad, he's going to want to toughen up. Although, I bet he is not all that he seems to be.' Her gaze finally rested on his hands. "Aren't you cold?" she queried. 'He's insane! I know Serendipity is a lot warmer than here. But that's ridiculous'

"Here, I can lend you my wrap until we get home," she added removing her hood and beginning to unwind her outermost wrap. "I'm not going to waste a good drink on someone who's going to be half frozen to death by the time he gets it," she teased.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Ramon

"Nope, I came here due to choice, not misfortune. My family is in pretty good standing, I think." he replied honestly. The Teine line he was a part of had two successful (or at least loyal) soldiers to its name, as well as priest. Getting out from under the shadow of his family was one of the reasons why he left - the main reason, if he was perfectly honest with himself. But dwelling on the past wasn't why he was here.

"I see..." he muttered. So was it one large family? That would be a big family then, if the tents were numerous enough to resemble a village. Drest tipped his head sideways in puzzlement as Zurna stared at him, trying to figure out what was wrong. Did he look that odd to her, with his pale skin and red hair?

"Uh...Oh, no, no. I'm fine. I'm not cold at all!" he exclaimed, waving his hands dismissively. He had thought he had worn lots of clothes, but apparently not. "Watch this." Tugging off a mitt - which apparently wasn't thick enough - the young man held his palm face up and focused for a moment. A small fireball bloomed not far above his bare skin, crackling and flickering in the cool air. "I'm a fire mage, see? I can use fire magic to keep my body warm, even in a place like this. So I won't freeze on you before I get that drink." he explained with a smile, watching Zurna closely to see what her reaction might be.

GoblinFae

Zurna began to laugh, readjusting her hood. "Very well then." Watching the fire in his hand she said, "I guess the fire mage comes from your fae ancestors. I have heard legends that Serieans are long-distant descendents of the fae. Then again, you hear so many tales up this far north you can never tell what is the truth or not. Come, we should get started home. If we hurry we can make it in time for lunch. It's about a half mile that way," she informed him, pointing back in the direction she had come from. "If we're lucky I may even catch that elk after all," she impishly smiled.

Retrieving her errant arrow, she put it away and began to trudge back up the way she came, eyes open for the missing elk. "Is it too soon to be asking why you have come to the tundra? I wouldn't exactly describe it as the most exciting of places or the most beautiful for that matter. I'm sure your homeland has much more culture than mine. Oh," she sighed, "what I would give to see it!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Ramon

Flicking the fireball out with a turn of his wrist, Drest checked everything a final time and started to walk in the indicated direction, falling into a steady pace that would allow him to talk without slowing down too much. "That legend happens to be true, from everything I've head." he confirmed with a nod. "My family, or at least my father's side, is descended from fae of some sort, and we get our magic from them. That's where my gold eyes come from too." It seemed to him that most people with fae ancestry had odd eye colours, but he didn't have any real proof that was true. To him, gold or silver eyes were just a fact of life.

Elk...he had never had elk, but it sounded good. Lunch sounded wonderful as well, considering he hadn't eaten since breakfast hours ago and he had been on the move since then. Drest's expression darkened at the question of why he was there, but he answered quietly after a few moments. "I had to get away from everything - from  my family, from society, from all of it. I want to make some sort of name for myself without any help from my family's reputation or connections, and I couldn't do that back home. I want to live life my own way, you know?"

Drest glanced over at Zurna in surprise at the longing in her voice, then looked away, considering a reply. "I'm sure Serendipity has a lot more culture than your people, and I know my home is more populated than here. You may say that this place isn't exciting, but to me it is." He gestured to the snowbanks all around them, continuing, "I've never seen so much snow before I came here. And we don't have elk at home, either. But if you really want to see my homeland...maybe I can take you sometime." The young man was half-joking, since he didn't really believe Zurna would leave her family behind to see the world like he was doing.

GoblinFae

She smiled as he fell into step with her and told her the legends were true. Zurna had loved stories of different lands since her childhood. Not much had changed since then.

Her smile faded as she listened to him talk of his family. "I do know," she commiserated, "Probably better than you think. I am the youngest of my siblings and the only daughter. There is sixty years difference between my eldest brother and I. A lot of expectations come to those who are the youngest. Why can't you be like your brothers? or We only want to protect you. It's always the same. It's why I was out hunting today. Sometimes it's necessary to just escape from it all. Although, you're braver than I, I worry too much about disappointing my family to actually leave." Then with conviction and pride she added, "But, one day I will."

She listened as he praised her homeland. "I guess that is just something we will have to agree to disagree on. Live your whole life here and you would see, this is all there is," she said looking out towards the horizon. "That is a kind offer Drest, perhaps one day I will take you up on it," she stated smiling at him softly.

It was then that just past him, a mere fifty paces from them was the elusive elk. "If you keep quiet and hold still, there just might be elk on the fire tonight," she whispered. With all the practiced ease of an experienced hunter she notched the bow, preparing to fire.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Ramon

"I'm the youngest of three brothers, although the middle son is adopted." he replied as they trekked along through the tundra. "Did you just say sixty?!" he asked in astonishment, slowly to a near halt as he stared at Zurna. That was a massively long time - he was old enough to be her father at least, if not her grandfather. "Well, er...there's not that big a gap between Mael and I - just seventeen years. But sixty...that's incredible. If he adding was right, that would put her eldest brother as being older than his father.

"None of my family took it badly when i told them I was leaving. If they were disappointed in me, they didn't show it." At least, nothing of that sort came through in the letters he had received from Mael and Morcant, and while his father had been surprised, he had understood. Drest didn't really miss them, not now. There was too big of an age gap between him and his brothers to feel really close to them, and his father had often been away while he was growing up. Seeing her confidence, he nodded. "You'll get away, someday."

"I guess we each see our homeland as plain and un-changing. I know I saw Serendipity that way, even though it had a whole range of features, from mountains in the north to river-plains farther south and the ocean to the east." he added after a long look around at the landscape he was standing in. It was different here, which was exactly why he had come.

The young man froze as Zurna spoke, realizing that the elk must be directly behind him. He debated trying to kneel and let the huntress take a clean shot, but she appeared to have a good shot already so he stood still. It was slightly unnerving, having a bow and arrow pointed a little ways out from his head, but he doubted the girl was lying about her prey just so she could shoot him. She seemed too sincere for that kind of lying.

GoblinFae

Just before Zurna fired, the ever-present biting wind changed directions, sending her once downwind scent, upwind towards the elk. Startled the large creature looked up and bellowed in fear upon seeing the humans. It was this moment that Zurna shot. Unfortunately, the elk chose that same moment to flee and the arrow missed it's intended target. Instead of an instantaneous death, the creature was struck in the flank and fell, bellowing in pain.

"Blastich!" she cursed, realizing her mistake. She swiftly moved over to the flailing beast. "If you want to get close mind its head and feet. He'll knock you clean of your feet if you don't," she warned Drest, not really paying attention to what he was doing. "Besa, besa," she crooned to the hurting animal. "Shh, all will be righted friend." She stared it in the eye, fighting back tears of anger as she did so. Carefully she straddled the elk's middle. It bleated at her and thrashed its head. She smiled sadly, running her hand over its furry cheek and towards its antlers. Meanwhile, her right hand reached behind her for her dagger. Effortlessly she yanked its head up and slit its throat, giving it the humane death she had failed to do with her arrow.

"I'm sorry friend that I made you suffer," she whispered, closing its eyes. "Two misses in one day, this certainly is not my day." She moved to the side of the creature and pressed her forehead to the snowy ground uttering a quick prayer of thanks.

"Well," she said rising and looking at Drest, "hopefully that's the last of the excitement for today. I would hate to see what a third shot would do. First you and now this. My luck I'll end up shooting myself. Not that that is an invitation," she added eyes raised to the sky.

"My home is just beyond that snowbank. If you can help me lift this, I will be able to carry it there." Picking up the creature was always the hardest part for her. In her defense the things was bigger than she was. "All we have to do is get it on my back and I can take it from there. I would rather not have to drag it. It's disrespectful to the kill."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Ramon

Due to having his back to the elk, Drest didn't realize they had been started until the creature let out a bellow of fear, startling him and making him jump slightly. Luckily, his sudden movement didn't distract Zurna, and she fired smoothly. Turning once it seemed fit to do so, the young man stared at the elk, noticing the similarity between it and a male deer. Unfortunately, it seemed badly wounded and in a great deal of anger, so the mage stood well back as Zurna approached. He did smirk at her curse, but sobered as it became clear what she was going to do. There wasn't much he could do to help - most of the magic he knew resulted in a far bloodier death than she probably wanted, and he wasn't familiar enough with killing a wild animal to assist in the deed.

He looked at the ground while the girl paid her respects, feeling awkward. Drest occasionally prayed to the gods, but he wasn't a firm believer like his older brother. Hopefully nothing bad would result from that, but only time would tell. "I'd say you're just having an off day, since I doubt the gods are that angry with you. Bad days happen to everyone." he said rather dismissively, moving to hoist part of the elk carcass off the snowy ground. "Who knows, maybe a third shot would hit its target dead on." he added with a faint smile. The young man would have offered his sledge to transport the elk, but since dragging apparently was disrespectful, he kept his mouth shut and helped Zurna lift the elk onto her back. At least they were nearly at her home - that drink was looking better by the minute.

GoblinFae

Zurna smiled at his comment about the gods. "I do not really blame them, it is more out of habit than actual belief, at least in this case. Out here we have each of us with our own religion. A Sheppard does not pray to the same gods as the Fisherman. It is just the way it is out here. We have a few set gods that we all acknowledge, but beyond that it's your own beliefs. My own family has barely any religion save myself and my Connlaothian sister-in-law. Although for her it is more," she moved her hands like she was cutting something, "structured I guess. She says the way I pray is appalling and disrespectful." Conspiratorially she leaned closer to him and whispered "there are days I pray to Angsar just to anger her. She just gets on my nerves so much."

Looking up, Zurna smiled to see her home just beyond the snowbank. As she came over the hill she turned to Drest to catch his reaction. About thirty tents were circled around the largest of them all. Every one of them with their own pillar of smoke rising into the frigid air. To her this was home. For one of the first times in many years, her entire immediate family was gathered in one place. The nieces and nephews and their families were off in their own family gatherings. It was just her brothers, their wives, their young unmarried children, and her parents. In the distance she saw her brothers exiting their tents to greet her. "Welcome to my home, Drest!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Ramon

Drest listened with mild interest about the religious system of the region, nodding occasionally to show that he was paying attention. Morcant would probably find this incredibly fascinating, but not him. He smirked at her comment about praying to Angsar just to annoy a relative. "Good for you. I suggest you keep it up. From what I understand, Serendipity religion isn't as structured as the Connlaothian one, but we do have a loose structure." he stated, eyes narrowing in thought.

"My homeland's gods and goddesses are a mix of old rural ones and newer ones people came up with when cities became more popular. People pray to whatever deity they choose depending on where they live. My older brother Morcant would know more - he's a priest to Han'vash, God of Creation and Destruction. I guess my eldest brother and father pray as well, but I'm not to familiar with the warrior gods outside of Kia." Despite the fact that she was carrying a full-grown elk on her back, Zurna still managed to get to the top of the hill before him. Puffing slightly, he reached her a few moments later, grateful for the chance to catch his breath. And then he saw the settlement.

"Wow." was all Drest could think to say at first. he hadn't expected a settlement so large. No wonder people had mistaken it for a small village. Realizing he was gawking, the young man blinked and made a poor attempt as acting cool. "This is pretty impressive, Zurna. Your family is huge." His expression warmed slightly as he turned to look at her. "Thanks for taking me here." He might not have been able to find it on his own.

GoblinFae

She smiled at his awe and praise. "Thank you," she said humbly bowing her head. "It has been my privilege to journey with you here." Up ahead the snow crunched and crackled under the running feet of her youthful brothers. The youngest set of triplets-Ville, Washint, and Xalam-reached her first closely followed by the youngest of the twenty-five boys, Yotar.

Zurna gently placed her burden on the ground before standing and handing a short hunting knife to Yotar, "Your turn to clean it, squirt," she laughed before being tightly embraced by the identical boys.

"Looks like good hunting, sister!" they said in unison before pointing and laughing at each other.
"How long did you practice that for?" Zurna queried.
She then joined them in the reply, "I don't know what you are talking about it!"

The exchange was a game they had played since they were little. The triplets had always had a tendency for doing things together.
"Zurna," called Yotar from the ground. "Were you cold? You spilled the blood."
"I had an accident. In fact I am being very rude." She turned towards Drest. "This fine fellow is owed a drink. I seem to have nearly shot him. Boys, this is Drest. Drest these are some of my brothers." She pointed to each and named them. "I'll go get you that drink," she said beginning to walk away.
"So.....,"
"What are you doing with-"
"-our sister," the trio asked in sequence with arms crossed. On the ground Yotar just shook his head, listening intently to the coming response.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Ramon

Drest nodded at Zurna's words, hearing them but being more focused on the rapid approach of a bunch of males - her older brothers, he supposed. He stood back slightly from them as they embraced and greeted each other, reflecting on the differences between his family and hers. Sure, his older brothers would be happy to see him if he ever returned, but he doubted there would be any of the joking this family clearly enjoyed. So he stood silently by until he was introduced. "Hey there." he said firmly, nodding to each of her brothers in turn. Now it was time to prove himself.

Drawing himself up to his full height and hoping he didn't look too much like a southern fool with his laden pack and sledge, he faced the triplets and stared them in the eye. "She found me wandering out on the tundra." he started. "I'm a traveler, and I was heading for this place when I lost my way a little.  Zurna found me and agreed to guide me here." There, simple and honest. Hopefully that would be enough to dispel any naughty thoughts the brothers may be thinking about him. If not, well, he was ready to explain himself further if need be.

GoblinFae

"Nice try buddy," the middle triplet said. Together the three stepped closer to Drest, moving to corner him.
"He's about as good a liar as Z," the leftmost one, Washinit, said.
"You see, Drest, Zurna never misses a shot. For her to say she almost shot you, either means you were wearing a pair of antlers on your head or she's lying," Xalam added. "Since I do not see any antlers, that must mean she is lying. Care to try again?"

Behind them, Yotar snickered. "Explain why the throat is slit then?" he piped up, challenging his brothers. While he had no qualms about making the stranger uncomfortable, he refused to believe his sister was truly incapable of fallibility.

The trio shared a brief moment of silent exchanges before nodding in unison and diving back in. Vile led them in verbal defense. "You know sister, Yotar. She is always preforming some obscure ritual. She is far more devout than the rest of us. Who knows what she gets up to these days.

"Now," he said turning back to Drest. You were saying?" In the distance, Zurna exited the main family tent. In her hands she carried a large full waterskin. Her steps quickened as she noticed her brothers circling Drest.

'I leave them alone for but a moment and already they circle about him like wolves.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]