Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Cord of Three Strands is Not Quickly Broken

Started by Haze, January 11, 2012, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

"Kessy?" he called to her worriedly. 'Did I do this to her? Did I make the black form?' Sure enough, Ocarern could see a light film of black around Kestal's throat. 'Pain. She must have overdone her singing. This is all my fault, she shouldn't be outside. I am such a terrible friend.'

His ears started to droop in guilt and worry. 'Just a tickle? Well, if she says so. Better keep on eye on her though. It wouldn't be good if she can't sing tomorrow. It's up to me to take care of my Kessy! Aren is too forgetful for such a task.'

Ocarern also nodded his head to the location suggestion. 'We can't stay long though. Kessy needs her rest. Yep yep!' His eyes widened slightly with the return of Aren's teasing. 'Time to pay him back.'

"Who says it was you I was hiding from? Your mother is a fearsome thing to behold when one is trying to swipe one of her berry pies. But, can you blame an elf his hunger? She makes good pie," he explained shrugging. 'I was hiding from you, Aren. If you saw me watching you, you would never be my friend. Friends don't stare at friends like that. I am such a horrible friend. I don't look out for them, when they do so for me. I don't help when I should. I am dishonorable in both my intentions and my actions.'

He sighed lowly, walking slightly ahead and to the right of Aren. He figured that with Aren between him and Kestal he would not have to suffer another hug. 'Too much touching. No touchy,' he thought shivering slightly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Haze

Kestal walked along in silence after waving off her friend's concern. She wasn't the kind to seek attention, and she certainly didn't want Ocarern or Aren to worry for her. No point in worrying, anyhow, she told herself, just enjoy the time with them. We don't do this often enough anymore. Aren's always so busy with the tav, Rennie's always flitting about doing his own thing. Stealing berry pies. She gave a little snort at the elf's comment, rolling her eyes.

But she couldn't shake the heavy feeling that hung over her chest, try as she might. Stretching her torso a little, she found that even with the cool evening air, under all her layers of clothes, she was getting warm. "Here, take this a moment," she said to Aren, handing him her lute. As they walked, she quickly rid herself of her cloak, folding it over her arms. Without the thing coming high up her neck, her collarbone could be seen jutting out beneath her cream shirt, but she tugged on the taupe coloured vest, two sizes too big, adjusting it to cover herself better. That's better. Not so warm now.

Taking the instrument back, she gripped it around the neck, and let it dangle from her fingers. "Rennie, you shouldn't be stealing from Selve. You know if you just asked, she'd give you a pie. Or maybe you were hiding from me?" She gave another small cough while she raised her eyebrow at him, "Maybe you just say you like my singing." She was teasing, and she elbowed him gently, before a quick cheeky grin stole over her lips.

As they neared the docks, Kestal wasn't surprised at how quiet it was, and she tugged her friends over to the wharf. She sat, tucking her lute behind her, and dangled her legs over the edge. Lifting her chin to the sky, she basked in the moons soft light for a moment, with her eyes closed. "I could sit out here all night," she said wistfully. "It's so calm, and peaceful. If you don't make any noise, it's almost as if nothing else exists... don't you think?"

Juno

Aren feigned a look of utter horror and shock for Ocarern's answer, though it soon cracked in exchange for a goofy smile of pride. "Stealing her pies, huh? She does make great pie. Really, she's a great cook in anything. Keeps our ship afloat, she does." At Kestal's prompting, he readily took her lute for her as he glanced over to see what she was doing before looking up again to watch Oca moving up away from them. With a teasing scoff, he just rolled his eyes and returned the instrument to Kessy. He was so tempted to ask to carry her cloak for her, but he knew he'd feel awkward doing it in such a playful moment between them all.

"Ah, hiding from your friends either way, Oca, we've caught you," he teased before following with mock whining, "But feel free to continue stealing from my mother's kitchen, she works me to the bone." When they finally reached their destination, though, he remained quiet as he settled himself down beside Kestal. Sitting criss-cross instead, he looked out upon the water and the trees beyond the far bank. He didn't raise his gaze to the stars or the heavy moon hanging above, but he did sneak glances at his friends when he could. Moments like this had been rare as of late, and he didn't mind at all having them both there to silently admire under the moonlight.

"Nothing else exists? I suppose it does. Almost feels like we're... in our own little haven. Nothing to disturb us." He gave a lazy wave of one hand to gesture at all that was around them before he let both fall to gently grip the edge of the dock on either side of him. "I could just stay out here. Let the tavern fall apart for one day without me," he joked, a little sigh of longing escaping his parted lips.

GoblinFae

Ocarern shook his head and rolled his eyes at Kestal's comment about the pies. 'Sure, because we all know I'm big on stealing pies.' He started, giving an indignant squawk. "Of course I like your music!" he cried out, scowling and crossing his arms. He curled his lip, muttering under his breath as he sulked.

"You deserve to be worked hard," he retorted testily. "Every time I see you Aren, you are doing anything but working." He fell silent again as guilt settled in. 'And I look more than you think I do. But, he does work hard. I would know.'

The elf allowed himself to be tugged to the wharf before hopping on top of one of the dock's vertical wooden supports. Sitting cross-legged he balanced precariously on the small circumference. Curiously, he looked down, peering over the edge at the water below. For someone born far from large bodies of water, Ocarern seemed to be very obsessed with it. One of the few dreams he still held in his heart from his youth was to see the sea. Sitting on the docks with his friends always made him think that dream was possible.

'Black. Mysterious. Secretive. Intense. I wonder if the sea is also black,' he thought watching the murky waves come in and out with the tides. His contemplations were broken however, by Kestal's words. Interested, he looked over at his two friends and nearly fell off his perch. The way the moonlight shined down upon them made them seem like gods to him. He nearly gasped aloud in awe. 'They glow.'

"But if Kestal stays out all night she will be too tired to sing tomorrow and you promised to sing new things," he pouted. That did not last long though as it was quickly forgotten after Aren's comment. "Lazy!" Ocarern cried. He removed his boot and stood on his perch with one foot while chucking the now footless boot at Aren's head.

"Hah!" he let out triumphantly when it made solid contact. The act of throwing though, disturbed Ocarern's balance and suddenly he was pinwheeling his arms to rectify it. With a high-pitched squeak he fell off and landed with a giant splash in the water below. Once more breaking the surface, he looked back up at the wharf. "Aren," he cajoled, giving his best innocent eyes. "Can you help me? Please!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Haze

"Yeah right," Kestal teased to Aren, giving him a gentle nudge with her shoulder, "because we all know you're the glue that holds it all together." She flashed him a grin, and then fell back into contemplative silence, watching as the stars shone overhead. Like moth holes in the curtains of the sky. That's what Papa used to say. And the shining eyes of a thousand spirits. I miss you, Daddy. Mama too. But I know you're watching, right? Am I doing life right? What I have? I do the best I can. I have a song for you, too. If I sing it, will you listen?

Ocarern's protest that she would be too tired almost got her scowling for his concern. She knew he was only looking out for her, but a not so small part of her worried for the things he could not control. That none of them could. Still, she didn't have much time to think on this either, before a boot was flying through the air. Her short, shocked laughter was like a chime cutting through the night air, and only got louder as she watched Ocarern tumble from his perch, and hit the water. "Rennie!" Covering her mouth to hide her grin, and ignoring the growing tightness in her chest, she linked arms with Aren.

She took one glance to Rennie treading water, and fairly melted at the sight of his big pleading eyes. There is not enough laughter in this world. I want to enjoy this moment. The consequences can go hang. It's not like things can get much worse. With that little resolution, and tugged on Aren. "Care to go fishing for an Elf?" She gave him a wink, and still with her bony arm tightly would around his, she leaned forward, pulling them both over the edge of the wharf.

The water was like ice cutting through her clothes. Disorientated for a moment, she struggled against the weight of the boggy things. She didn't have an inch of fat on her to protect her from the chilling fingers of the water, and instantly her muscles clenched in protest. Finally kicking herself upwards and breaking the surface, she laughed even harder, splashing water at Ocarern playfully. "Sh-sh-should have p-p-p-pulled him in with you!" She grinned through chattering teeth. "Now I h-h-had to d-d-do your d-d-dirty work!"

Juno

"Lazy, huh?" he laughed, though he didn't look toward his friend until it was too late and he saw a dark object flying right for him. The loud thunk! as the thing, a boot he soon realized, smacked into his head left him surprised but entirely unhurt. For Ocarern's benefit, though, he rubbed his hand at the side of his head and did a mock wince as fingers wound into his hair. Looking up, though, his eyes widened at the sight of how precariously the elf stood, noting how quickly he was losing his footing entirely. "Ah, Ocarern!" he cried, gaze following him as he crashed into the water.

He glanced first the Kestal at the feel of her arm winding around his own and then down to the adorable, pleading eyes of the elf. Without unfolding his legs he leaned down with an outstretched hand, his body terribly unbalanced as he bent. "Here. I can't believe I'm helping you after you just hit me," he said with a roll of his eyes. Aren's expression turned blank for a moment and then shocked at Kestal's words and he turned his head to look back at her far too late by the time he realized what was happening. "KESSY! You wouldn't!" he hissed, wide-eyed. "NO! N-N-NO! ACK!"

As he felt himself toppling over he took one last gulp of air before they crashed into the water. Instead of heading for the surface immediately, though, he let himself slip away from her and look up toward their figures lighted by the moonlight above. He heard muffled laughter, saw the splashing and could only grin to himself as he sank himself lower below their feet. He waited a moment, trying to calm his heartbeat from being dragged in, and then struck. Reaching up with both arms, he grabbed Kestal by her calves and held fast as he sharply tugged her down beneath the water with him. Payback...

GoblinFae

One moment he was looking up at his friends and the next they were in the water with him. The wave created by their slash temporarily dunked him underwater and he came up coughing and sputtering. "Dirty work? You never gave me a chance. Besides, I never asked for you to do that. I had no intention of falling in to begin with," he huffed earning himself a mouthful of water courtesy of Kestal.

"Kessy," he whined, before dragging his arm through the water and sending a wave back at her. I rare small lit up his features. It had been a long time since, Ocarern had felt this carefree, especially around his friends. Looking about him, he noticed that he could not find Aren. "Aren? Aren! Kessy where's Aren?" he asked beginning to feel desperate.

'Did he hit his head? Is he drowning? I saw him fall in; did he ever surface?' The young elf's eyes widened and his features drained, the faster his thoughts whirled about in his head. 'It's all my fault if he's hurt. If I hadn't thrown my boot he wouldn't have been dragged in after me.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Kestal just laughed, as she continued to splash as hard as she could. She grinned for his smiles, and the way that he had seemed to loosen up. This was the Rennie she loved. She didn't even notice that Aren hadn't surfaced. That was, until Ocarern started harping on about where he was. Suddenly, she felt very afraid, and her heart started pounding in her head. "What!? You mean he hasn't... oh goddess! Aren!? Are-nugh!"

Something gripped her legs, and she was under the water, mouth still open, still trying to talk. Water rushed down her throat, burning it's way down, choking her. Her chest automatically closed, lungs screaming at the assault of something foreign. Burning for air, disorientated and panicking, she tried to pull it in, but only succeeded at taking in more water. She tried to kick her legs, but whatever it was, it had her. She started thrashing her torso about in a desperate attempt to break free. The more she struggled, the more her chest collapsed, and black splotches danced before her eyes. She was completely powerless.

Then she was limp. Her body swayed backwards, arms falling out to her sides. Her clothes and hair fanned out around her body. Her face was still, serene.

Juno

Not realizing what he was causing, Aren held on tight even as she thrashed. Pulling her down further, though, he noticed immediately when she stopped moving. Playing games, is she? he thought, amused as he wrapped his arms around her torso now and turned her, but what he saw shocked him and bubbles burst from his mouth as he called to her. "Keshee?!" His own air was running out, though, and his plan of harmless fun crumbled in his hands as he scrambled to swim up with her.

Breaking the surface, he turned wild eyes to Ocarern as he took big gulps of air and flailed one arm to try and steer himself to take her back to the dock. Grabbing onto the edge, he hauled her up and clambered up after her and began fussing over her, hands hovering all about to touch her arms, her face. "Kessy!" he hollered, worried out of his mind now as he frantically shook her by the shoulders. Leaning closer, he tried to listen for any sign of breathing and gave a frustrated groan and pushed at the hair plastered to his neck before he turned to look at the elf. "She's not breathing!

"Ocarern, I've killed her!" he cried in a strangled whisper as his hands helplessly fluttered about, almost everything he knew of reviving someone in this situation flying out the window. Almost.

Without another thought, he bent over her, quickly tilted her head back and then brought his hand up to pinch her nostrils as he gulped in air and brought his mouth down to hers to give her air. It was a desperate attempt at revival in the moment, but he was sure he wouldn't hear the end of it later whether it worked or not. Please, Kia. Oh, please, save her!

GoblinFae

"Kessy!" Ocarern screamed as Kestal was suddenly dragged underwater. Over and over, he frantically called for her, treading water near where she went under. Tears freely fell from his eyes as he fearfully searched from the surface for his two friends.

Relief briefly washed over his features as his two friends surfaced. But, that was quickly replaced with terror as he observed Aren's ice blue emotions and Kestal's nonexistent ones. He watched stunned as Aren pulled himself up onto the dock. Too short to do so himself, Ocarern was stuck in the water, fearfully listening to the sounds up above him. 'Not breathing? Killed her?'

"What did you do Aren!" he shouted hysterically. Determined, Ocarern tried to reach up to pull himself up, but his arms were just too short. The tears flowed faster and he let out hicupping sobs as he tried to get out of the water to his friends. "Do something! She can't be dead!"

Ocarern turned fearful eyes up towards his only companions, searching desperately for their emotions. 'Please, no black. Anything but, black. Please! Don't die Kessy. Aren is just an idiot. Please don't leave me.' Every sound rang clearly in his ears but he could not hear the one he desperately wished for. 'Please Kestal. I'll do anything! I'll let you hug me and never let go. Just please, don't die. Don't leave me alone with him. I can't lose you too!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

She was weaker than she'd ever been before. Her body felt weightless, but heavy at the same time. She couldn't seem to bring herself up from the cushioned darkness. She was aware of movement but couldn't place whether they were up or down, left or right. She wasn't even positively certain of the burning in her lungs. Her mind had shut everything down, in order to preserve the last remnants of oxygen in her body.

She was unmoving even as Aren tipped her head. Her hands hung at her sides. I'm dead. I must be. I never got to say goodbye. Never got to tell him I love him. Never got to sing my song. Why is there so much regret in death? Why does it burn? Why... why does it feel like someone is kissing me!?

Air pushed its way into her lungs, and Kestal began coughing and spluttering. She turned her head away, trying to breathe for good on her own. It hurt. She opened on eye to see Aren. Instead of being panicky and terrified for what had happened to her, she was somewhat amused as pieces started to come back to her.

"If you wanted a kiss..." she said, though her throat was raw and rasping, "you could have just asked. You didn't need to drown me."

Juno

Please... Please...

Only a moment later, he felt the surge of quivering in Kestal as her body tried to purge itself of the water it'd taken. Moving back just as she turned away, his eyes danced with a mixture of relief and worry, his lip trembling a bit as he wasn't sure if he was about to cry or not. He watched her until he was sure she was able to breathe again, though it was more for her comment that he averted his eyes. "Kessy, I... I'm glad that you're alright. You.. Can you breathe alright, then?" he asked before he realized something was missing. In his concern over Kestal, he'd forgotten to help Ocarern.

Abruptly, he scrambled around her and slammed himself down over the slippery edge, his arms outstretched to the elf. He saw the water streaking along his face, but he could not tell if it had been from crying or the dive he'd taken earlier. Most of what had just happened had been entirely ignored in his panic to revive Kestal.

"Ocarern! Ack! Here, I'll help you up, I'm sorry. Grab on. I... I didn't kill her. She's not dead, I promise... sorry..." he offered, trying to maintain a small smile even though his heart still pounded with his fear at the sight of how limp and motionless his friend had been.

GoblinFae

The elf saw it before he heard it. Kestal was alive. Her aura, a pale olive color, she would be fine. Sighing in relief, Ocarern allowed himself to sink under the water for a brief moment before kicking back up to the surface. 'Kiss? What kiss? He drowned her so he could kiss her!'

An emotion Ocarern, could only describe as a vibrant green flared through him, confusing and enraging him. It was a feeling he had rarely experienced and only observed milder versions in his friends on a few select occasions

Angrily he glared up at Aren as the human offered to help him up. Like a child throwing a temper-tantrum the diminutive elf yelled a long line of expletives and splashed a large wave of water in the other man's face. Feeling hurt and betrayed he swam under the grimy dock, hiding in the cob-webbed shadows by one of the support posts.

'He almost killed her and for what? So he could get a kiss! What is with humans with their constant need for touching? Oh I'm happy, let's touch. Oh, I'm so sad let's touch. Oh I'm mad, I'm going to hit you by touching! Touchy, touchy, touchy! Stupid, ignorant, selfish, bubble-headed, skirt-lifter! Foolish boy can't keep his hands to himself. Or his lips! I ought to...' Ocarern practically shook with the emotions ripping through his fragile frame.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

His vision finally focusing, all he saw was a livid little elf. Stunned for the volley of insults his friend threw at him, Aren opened his mouth to protest only to receive a mouthful of water. Wide-eyed, he spluttered and coughed as he raised himself back up onto the dock for a moment. "OCARERN!" he hollered hoarsely, eyes narrowed in frustration that his apology hadn't been accepted.

After clearing red eyes, he peeked over the edge of the dock again only to find that the spot he expected to see his angry friend was empty. Groaning, he glanced back to Kestal only to offer her a tense, "Just a minute," between clenched teeth before pushing himself off to dive back down into the icy water.

Down in the water, he couldn't see any sign of his friend, but as he surfaced and turned back to look toward the dock he caught sight of him there behind a post. "Why did you do that?" he complained, snorting as he swam cautiously underneath to join him. "I was just trying to help you!"

GoblinFae

So infuriated was Ocarern that he refused to speak. Instead he splashed water in Aren's face repeatedly, corralling him backwards out from under the wharf. Eyes ablaze, Ocarern clapped his hands down hard on his friend's shoulders, forcing him underwater.

'Not so fun, is it Aren!' he thought vindictively as he climbed up onto Aren's shoulders, first with his knees and then his feet. Now at a better height, he grabbed onto the dock and pulled himself up, making sure to give Aren a swift to kick to the head as he did so. Worriedly glancing over to at Kestal and deeming her fine, he took off his remaining boot and dumped the water inside back into the river. If it landed on Aren's head, Ocarern did not mind too much.

Feeling that he had tortured his friend enough for now, the elf abandoned his task and moved over to Kestal. Tears reformed in his eyes as he gazed at her. 'If only I hadn't fallen in. Aren would never had the chance to hurt her if it hadn't been for me.' Ocarern did the only thing he could think to do, he hugged her as hard as he could.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"Uh... Oca? HEY!" Flailing wildly, Aren backed out to try and get away from the water Ocarern splashed on him, but he never managed to stay entirely out of reach. Shocked was what he was. He was pretty sure he hadn't seen his friend this enraged since... well, never. He knew what he'd done had been terribly stupid and he was sure they weren't going to let him off the hook about what had just happened. What he didn't know, though, was Ocarern's main reason for being so upset.

"Talk to me will ya?! Ocare--?! STOP IT!" But he already felt himself forced down as his friend climbed up to his shoulders and he was soon entirely submerged again. The kick sent his head flying back as a buzz rang through, and he found himself sinking for a moment before he got himself together enough to realize he was still underwater and kick to the surface for air. "Damn it," he muttered. "Cause your stupid shoe wasn't enough righ-- OH, COME ON! FOOT WATER?! SERIOUSLY, OCARERN?!

"Why do you hate me so much?! I just saved her life, dammit!" His head was throbbing now and he gave a low groan and hiss as he climbed back up to the dock again only to find the little elf huddled with Kestal. "Traitor!" he whined, giving his best attempt at puppy eyes to the pair of them. "I was just trying to help you! And I didn't mean to hurt you, Kestal!"

Haze

Kestal lay on the dock, curled up on her side for much of the time since Aren left her to see to Ocarern, taking slow, unsteady breaths that rattled deep in her chest. She could hear faint talking, yelling even, but things seemed so distant in her ears. Her eyes were clenched tightly against the shivers that wracked her body. It was as if the cold had seeped into her bones, and had settled there to stay. She felt as if she might never get warm again.

Beneath her eyelids she watched the scene as it had played out, as if she was watching from above. Though she could have no real way of knowing, if the look on Aren's face was anything to go by, he had been mortified, panicked, as he carried her back through the water. She couldn't help but wonder. Does he really care so much? And Rennie too? The little elf, had by this stage, found her. She felt her body covered with his embrace. She turned her head towards him and smiled a little sadly. This is going to be so much harder than I thought.

Aren's roaring though, and his seething as he clambered back up on the dock made her give a weak little giggle, followed by a not so weak fit of coughing. The water had done her absolutely no good. Gently extricating herself from Ocarern's embrace, she pressed a soft little kiss to his cheek with cold, blue lips. "I'm okay, Rennie." She sat up, and pulled her legs up to her chest. Anything to try and get herself warmed up again.

"You didn't hurt me," Kestal gave Aren a weak smile, and brushed back a damp lock of hair from her face with a shaking hand. "It was just fun, gone a little astray, right? I could write a song about it. Near death experiences... I bet that would improve my writing. Maybe we could try something else? Cliff diving, maybe?"

Juno

Pulling at his soaked clothes like it might do something to help, Aren sat on the dock to catch his breath for a moment as he watched Kestal with a cautious gaze. He couldn't hide the worry from his eyes just for seeing her coughing again, but he felt his heart skip a beat as he watched her kiss the elf's cheek, fleeting as it was. It was an odd mixture of jealousy and protectiveness for both of his friends that danced about to balance in his mind, but it was there all the same.

Her smile was all it took to get him to offer up his own, but it fell almost entirely as he caught sight of her hand shaking. "You know there's a funny thing about near-death experiences, Kessy. You have to nearly die. Let's not do that... please?

"Why are you shaking, though? Are you sure you're alright, Kessy? We... we should get you home, huh?" he realized, a pang of guilt and a sad little smile there as he remembered where they'd been going in the first place.

GoblinFae

'Nimwit! She's cold! Of course she's shaking!' he mentally hurled at the other male. Ocarern clung to Kestal once more as she curled in on herself. He shivered as a cool breeze tugged at his hair and clothes. 'She needs dry clothes.' He pulled her closer, one hand going up to tangle in her hair.

"Home," he agreed, looking over Kestal's head toward Aren. The elf who abhored physical contact could not bring himself to let her go though. 'I wish I wasn't such a weakling. I don't want to let go. I don't want him carrying her, touching her. All his fault! All my fault.'

Ocarern's ears drooped as he glared at Aren, albeit not nearly as angrily as before. "Home," he repeated quietly. He gave Kestal one last squeeze before reluctanly moving away and retrieving his boots.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Kestal pulled her hand away, and looked at it, as if only now noticing the tremor. "Guess it's just because I'm cold," she shrugged it off. No point in having them worrying about her. She felt heavy and weak all at the same time, and was slow to start unfurling herself at the suggestion of going home. And there was Ocarern again, with his fingers in her hair, and keeping her close, as if she might just blow away in the wind. She looked up at him, a little puzzled. Never in all the time she had known him had he been this clingy. Poor Rennie. He must have been really scared.

She gave a little sigh for the looks towards Aren that weren't missed on her, and spoke again as Ocarern finally let her go, and started getting himself ready to leave. "Ocarern," she said a little sternly, and with a little exasperation, "stop glaring at Aren. It was a mistake. Mistakes happen. I am fine." As if to prove this, she rolled over onto her knees, and slowly made her way to stand up.

The world swayed, and she locked her knees, clenching her fists and eyes both tight, as if this would get rid of the dizziness. This was the second or third wave of it this evening, though now it was slightly more justified. When things seemed to slow down, she whirled around to Aren with a bright smile. Bad mistake. She put one step in front of the other, "I'm fine, just tired. And cold," she insisted. She was unsteady as anything, and the hazy, lethargic grip of cold was making her vision blurry. Or maybe that was the tiredness? Whatever it was, all of a sudden she was teetering near the edge of the dock. "Help!" She squeaked, trying to rock herself backwards, "helphelphelp!"