Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Cord of Three Strands is Not Quickly Broken

Started by Haze, January 11, 2012, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Trying to comb slick strands of hair out of his face, Aren could only stare at Ocarern with a pleading look in return for his glaring, but he looked away as Kestal scolded him. He didn't like knowing he was responsible for upsetting him or hurting her, but so long as they were going to drop it so was he. As he watched her getting up to stand, though, he scrambled to his feet as if to help her and then stopped short as he saw her successfully getting to her feet.

Her smile would have been so much nicer, though, if it hadn't been followed with a teetering Kessy. "Kestal!" he hissed, his eyes widening with worry as he stood frozen in a moment of panic before clumsily lurching toward her. Throwing his arms out, he grabbed her up and yanked her away from the edge. Stepping back with her and tightening his hold, he looked down at her with eyes filled with heightened concern and guilt now as he could feel just how cold she was. "I got you..." No wonder Oca was clinging to her...

"Kessy," he breathed, voice wandering towards sadness as he sighed. Bending down, he scooped her up into his arms, completely uncaring for any protest from either he might receive after all his mistakes and missteps so far today. "We'll take you home now, and I'm carrying you, and I don't want to hear anything about it since you're tired and can't seem to even stand, let alone walk."

Despite being drenched himself, Aren willed himself not to seem fazed by the cold whipping through his clothes and causing his whole body to go up in stubborn goose bumps. Looking down to Ocarern, he offered the elf another attempt at a sad smile and a slow, "I'm sorry I made a mess, Oca."

GoblinFae

Ocarern whipped around sharply at Aren's hissing. His heartbeat sped up as he watched Kestal wobble and nearly fall. 'Thank Kia!' his mind cried at seeing Aren come to her rescue. His breath caught in his throat. He did not know why, but watching the pair together like that was painful.

He nodded his hand in support of Aren. 'Listen to him Kessy. You're going to be very sick if you don't get warm and dry soon.' Ocarern move closer to the pair, ready to enforce Aren's demands. When his friend's apologetic smile was directed his way he felt something in his chest snap. 'I made him upset,' he realized, his ears drooping in guilt. Keeping to his silent ways, he allowed himself to brush against Aren more than was necessary and for long periods of time.

'I'm sorry my friends. I always drag us down. I hurt Kessy twice; I made Aren sad twice. I'm terrible. Oh so miserable. I'm a little black raincloud!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Haze

Back into the water. Oh no. Ohnoohnoohno! Kestal's were first wide open, staring down at the water, and then clenched tightly shut as she felt gravity tugging her downwards. Then hands were around her, tugging her back. Looking up, she winced for the concern she saw in his eyes. But at the same time, there was an overwhelming feeling of being safe. She gave a 'whoop!' as she was lifted, but didn't protest, only wrapped her arms snugly around Aren's neck.

His clothes were wet and cold, but she found at least a little warmth as she pressed her face in to his neck. "You're cold too," she said simply. That she was too tired to even stand was an understatement. She was drop dead beat. The evening's performance, and near-death experience had left her feeling as if every bone in her body had turned to stone, and her mind had been filled with cotton wool.

She chanced a glance At Aren's somber expression and down to Ocarern, and pouted. He was such a quiet boy anyway, but this mopiness was getting a little to much. I just want to enjoy the time I have with them! She unlatched one hand and tapped Aren's cheek lightly, before stretching out and ruffling Ocarern's hair. "Quiet little mouse," she mused affectionately.

Kestal paused a moment, and then gave a heavy sigh, pulling her body away from the safety of Aren's chest. "Right. That's it you two. Enough with the sad faces." She pulled a face of her own then, drawing her eyebrows down hard, puffing out her cheeks and pursing her lips, and squinting her eyes. "Vif if fwot you fwook whike" She mumbled through the tiny gap in her lips, before relaxing and beaming broadly between the two of them. "And you remember what mother said about pulling faces!"

Juno

Aren was quiet as they walked back down the wharf and back toward the streets. His face was so serious as he reflected on what had just happened. It certainly wasn't the worst thing he'd ever caused, but he still felt guilty for upsetting Ocarern and nearly drowning Kestal, especially when she was already so tired and strained. It helped to have Oca's silent acknowledgement through touch and Kessy there in his arms, but he still couldn't shake it just yet. She doesn't seem mad, but that doesn't mean I haven't hurt her. Kessy's too nice to me. She should have pushed me away, too.

Jolted away from his thoughts at the feel of something poking at him, he looked down to see her leaning out, messing with the elf's hair. He clenched his jaw a bit, a sudden twinge of jealousy rising even though he was already carrying one of his friends. It's... nothing, right? He wasn't able to hold onto it for long, though, with Kestal pulling such a silly face.

Aren smiled, chuckled, and then stuck his tongue out for her teasing, even as he said, "'If you keep doing that you'll be stuck with it forever!'" Oh, Kessy... Always trying to brighten our day at your worst and at your best. You are the light of my life... and probably Ocarern's, too. What would we ever do without you, Kestal?

"Ah, Kessy... Oca..." he sighed and chuckled lightly, his heart swelling as he adjusted his hold on her and looked down to them. "Come on, let's get you two home, yeah? I think it's well past both your bedtimes, don't you think?" he teased, casting a brief look up to the starry sky again.

Haze

Okay. So maybe swimming last night wasn't the best idea. Ugh. I feel terrible. I want my Mama. She always knew what to do when I was sick.

It was midday, and Kestal still hid away under the blankets, as if she could will the pounding in her head to go away. It was like a vice had taken hold on either side of her head, and was winching closed with every passing moment. Every head movement made her eyes want to clench shut, and sunlight made them water. She was sick. A cold had taken her with great force, and she'd spent much of the night shivering, trying to get warm, and using only her will to combat the illness. As rotten as she felt though, she had a job to do, and she was going to make sure she didn't let anyone down.

Dragging herself out of bed, Kestal shivered at the touch of the floorboards, and moved to wash and dress as quickly as she could. Catching sight of her reflection in the window, she grimaced. Her hair looked terrible and her eyes were puffy. Attacking her hair with her fingers, she managed to pull it into a low ponytail, and fluff up her fringe enough that it didn't look lifeless. The eyes however, there was nothing she could do about, and so she gave a weary shrug and fetched her bag, music and lute.

She hadn't even tried to talk yet. From the way her throat was feeling, she had an idea that it would be sounding thick and husky, and she aimed to get some hot water to drink before she even tried. She was lucky that Three Oaks Hall wasn't far from her little home, because she was already wheezing for breath by the time she got there. Leaning against the wall, she fought to catch it back, before going in with a sunny smile.

There weren't many patrons there during the day, and Kestal usually used the time to practice for her set, but this morning she took herself right up to the bar. She couldn't see Aren anywhere, and figured he might be sleeping. I hope he's not sick too... Turning instead to his father, she simply asked for hot water and lemon, and upon receipt took herself over to a table in the corner (ignoring Hablain's concerned gaze), that had the least amount of sunlight hitting it. Setting the mug down to the side, Kestal slumped into the chair, and leaned her body across the table, head falling over her folded arms.

GoblinFae

Ocarern woke in one of the Three Oaks Hall's vacant rooms. The previous night's series of events had left him feeling very disturbed and upset, so much so that he had followed Aren home and stayed close. He had felt the ever-present need to ensure his friend that he was not mad anymore, only worried.

Morning had done little to assuage the elf's fears. For with it brought the knowledge the Kestal would be coming. His heart twinged with worry as he remembered how cold she had seemed. 'I'll make it up to her. Tonight.'

Feeling a little better, he made his way down the creaking stairs, skipping the loudest ones to avoid attention. An unexpected smile broke his normally stoic features at seeing Kestal already there. Sneaking quickly into the kitchen he helped himself to a bowl of porridge before balancing it on top of the heavy jar of honey.

Both he carried over to Kestal's table, gently letting the honey jar thunk down on the table. "Morning Kessy," he whispered softly in his lilting tones. Happily opening the jar he began scooping large spoonfuls into his breakfast until there was nearly more honey then gruel. Finishing up, he pushed the jar over to her. "Want some?" he offered, a childlike smile cheering him.

The elf happily dug into his breakfast with enthusiasm. Sticky honey even managed to stick to his cheeks like a messy toddler. "Have you seen Aren?" he finally asked after a while, breaking what he felt was a peaceful silence.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Haze

Kestal groaned, and looked up wearily at Ocarern. As if his whispering could hide the fact that the depositation of the jar had been unkindly loud to her pounding head. She just stared at him a moment, before dropping her head face down into her arms. "No," she said grumpily,  "I don't want some." She sniffed, and turned her head to the side. The sight of her friend tucking into his breakfast made her smile at least, and she finally lifted her heavy head and sat back into the chair.

"Haven't seen him," she answered. "I bet he's still upstairs sleeping. Hey, Rennie, can I ask you a question?" Kestal pursed her lips, hiding a giggle for all the honey over his face, and launched into her questioning anyway.

"Have you ever... have you ever wondered if there's anything after we're gone? Dead, I mean?" She cleared her throat, and looked down at her hands. "Mama and Papa used to say that our spirits become stars, and that, all of our loved ones sit in the sky and watch us. It's a nice thought but, last night... I didn't... I didn't feel anything. It was like ... I was there one moment, and gone the next. So... It made me think. What if there is nothing left after life? What if this is all we have.

"What would you do? What would you do if you knew that there would be no more ... of anything? I just can't imagine not being with you. You and Aren, or at least, not being aware of you. If this life is the one shot we get, wouldn't you want to... live it fully? Love, and laugh, and be with those people you care for the most?" She leaned forward then, her face grave and serious. "I know you don't like this, but bear with me for a moment." She reached out and took one of Ocarern's sticky hands.

"I love you Rennie. I really do. And ... I want you to know that because... well... I don't think I've said it to you before... and I'm determined now, not to let things go unsaid. You're so special to me. You know that. Don't you?"

GoblinFae

The small elf listened carefully, his ears drooping as he mulled over the meanings of Kestal's words. Memories of his own deceased parents flooded his mind, dampening his cheerful mood. "There has to be something Kestal. If there wasn't then what is the point of living? Death is a part of life, "another journey," my father would say."

Ocarern shrugged his shoulders as if to brush the thought away. "Maybe you didn't feel anything because it wasn't your time to die yet. Maybe we only know death when we are truly dead and beyond the chance of life again. But, if this is all there is, then make the best of it. Don't leave things unsaid, for tomorrow is a new day. Don't forget to tell your lover you love him and that life wouldn't be the same without him. This is what my mother taught me. Elves may have long lives but, we often push things off, thinking there is always time."

He looked up at her with clear eyes, his sorrow and pain on open display for her to see. "I lost my family when I just a little boy. But, while it was terrible what happened, I do not regret the past. I said everyday what needed saying. When my parents died, they knew I truly loved them. That I think is what matters most, not tomorrow but today, right now, this very moment. You only waste precious time worrying over the future. Let the future come when it will, until then enjoy the now."

"Aw Kessy! You're all sticky now," he exclaimed trying to free his honeyed hand. Ocarern's deep philosophical moment was gone. The awkward unsure of himself elf had returned. But, as Kestal said those three very important words, the elf was awed to see the colors that flashed across her aura. 'I haven't seen violets like that since mother and father.' He smiled back at her, nodding his head, unable to speak the words he wanted to. 'I understand Kessy. Thank you friend. Thank you.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

After the night's events, it had been all Aren could do to get himself up to bed when he'd gotten home. He'd refused a word of explanation to his parents and sister about slipping out right before closing or why both he and Ocarern had returned with wet clothes. In the morning, though, Elaera made him pay by going up to wake him once she'd caught sight of Kestal.

With tired eyes he went about washing and dressing for the day, but the cold of his bath only did to remind him of those temporary fears the night before, and nothing did to alleviate the heaviness in his eyes. Upon making his way down the stairs, though, something caught his attention: his friends at the table in the corner. Interestingly to him, though, they were talking, and really talking at that. Silently slinking back up the stairs enough to hide himself from view, he flattened himself against the wall to listen.

Kestal spoke of her parents, of their accident, of life after death, and Ocarern more of life, of living a full life, and none of this hurt. It was endearing, really, knowing they were having a heart-to-heart, but they, or at least Kestal, crossed his line. It hurt to hear her words now. Clenching his jaw, he turned his gaze up to the ceiling in silent prayer that she might say she was just kidding or clarify to what extent her feelings reached, but she didn't. He's special to her... She's never told me that before. Ocarern isn't saying anything... Oh no. Oh goddess! They're kissing! They must be kissing! Aren's heart sank, and he didn't dare peak around at them now.

This is it. I lost my chance. She loves him. He loves her. Secret happily ever after. And in the damn tav! ...bet they thought they could go and say those things without me ever knowing, huh? Bet they didn't think their dear Arensaenger would ever find out. They're probably still at it, they're so quiet... Oh GOSHDARNIT. Don't think about it. ...touching hair..., little kisses, sweet nothings, probably holding hands... and that's just over the damned BREAKFAST table! Aren sighed in momentary defeat, fixed his gaze upon the floor, and backed all the way up the stairs just to stumble back down as if he'd just left his room. Sticking a bright, but still tired-eyed smile to his face, he committed to rounding the corner and allowed his eyes to finally find them again as he quickly crossed over toward the opening to the kitchen. "Morning, Kessy. Morning, Oca," he called over in feigned tiredness even though he was feeling wide-awake now.

Just as quickly as he'd settled his eyes upon them, though, he was looking straight ahead as his steps hurried along to go down through the kitchen and along the rows of stacked storage before he settled himself to lean against the wall of piled bags of oats, wedging himself back in the furthest corner against the real wall of the room before he slumped down to kneel. His head dropped into his hands as he fought to keep an emotionless expression, his thoughts raging on about the meaning of all of this. It was only a matter of time..., you just didn't make your move fast enough. You can't just sit here, though... there's work to be done. Papa was at the bar, I'm sure he wants to talk, but I'll just... organize things. Yeah, straighten things up. I'm sure everyone would appreciate that.

Haze

It was information her elvish friend rarely shared, and she listened intently. She felt pain for his pain, and mentally kicked herself for bringing up a subject that brought on such sorrow. Ocarern's reply to her musings didn't do much to soothe her soul, only caused more questions, but on one aspect she wholly agreed. Don't leave things unsaid, indeed.

She only let go of his hand when he started nodded at her. Her heart was full at her admission. She knew there would always be a special place for Ocarern in her heart. It was like without him, she was alone in all the world. She could depend on him. Aren, on the other hand, was something else entirely. It was hard to describe the difference between the feelings she felt for the two of them. All she knew was that she loved them both dearly, and it was about time both of them knew it.

"So I am," she finally giggled back, and lifted her hand to her mouth. She was sitting there, sucking the honey from her thumb, when the heavy thudding of Aren's arrival sent her heart racing. Despite the tiredness in her eyes, and the drawn look on her face, she smiled brightly to Aren, and started to stand, stretching a hand out to swing another chair over for their friend. Except that his sunny but abrupt good morning was all they got. He doesn't care. He's just... he's just busy. Stop it. He's got things to do... She turned a crestfallen gaze to Ocarern, and then swivelled her head back to follow Aren's movements. He's still upset about last night. I should.. I need to ... I should talk to him. The gaze she directed back to Ocarern was apologetic. "Let me... let me just go talk to him. I'll be right back. Enjoy your breakfast."

Once up, she couldn't deny the swishing feeling in her head. This cold was going to take a while to shake off. But she was determined now more than ever to make sure her other dear friend was okay. Following him into the kitchen, and frowned she he was nowhere to be found. One hand rested on her hip, and she peered around the room. "Aren? Arensaenger Pexsa. Stop sulking and avoiding me! I'm... I'm... ACHOO! I'm fine!" She sniffed and wiped under her nose, and took another few steps. Her head tilted curiously when she did find him. "Why are you down there?"

Crouching down beside him, she poked at his shoulder. "I thought we could go and steal a dragon's egg today. Bet that would be a near-death experience not to forget!"

Juno

Rubbing his hands crudely over his face, Aren knew he had to knock himself out of this no matter how heavy the dark pit in his heart felt. At the sound of Kestal's voice, he forced another mask, another fake, but entirely believable little smile as he lifted his head to peer down the aisle. She used his full name and her shadow cast at the other end, he knew it was only a matter of seconds before he was found. Why is she looking for me? She was with Ocarern. She knows I usually have things to do in the morning. Chores aren't going to do themselves. Hearing her sneeze, though, he wondered if it was just a bit of dust to blame or something else.

"Just... looking at the floor," he said, shrugging as he readjusted himself, brushing at his pants absently. "It needs a good cleaning, I think ... Why do you think I'm avoiding you? Or sulking?" Aren flashed a playful grin and reached out to bring a hand around behind her and ruffle her hair a bit. "Avoiding you... hah. I was just checking what I needed to do this morning. There's lots of work to do back here, too, much as I wish I could just man the bar all day and night." On a further thought, he doubted his father would let him spend much time out of the store rooms or kitchen tonight after sneaking off like he had. Adult as he might be in age, he still took a mile when given an inch.

He at least didn't have to be forced into it, though, Aren knew his responsibilities well and did them to his very best. One of those things, at least he felt, was ensuring his friends were safe and taken care of, so he paled a bit upon hearing her suggestion. "Dragon's egg? You're serious?" Aren sighed and let a true, pouty frown show now as he rolled his eyes and just shook his head at how ridiculously naive it sounded. "Yeah, cause it's totally safe to just go waltzing into a dragon's den, Kessy. You shouldn't be doing that. In fact, you don't even need to worry about it because you are not going near any silly dragon eggs."

Standing up now, he gave a weighty, discontented sigh and put a hand to her shoulder. "No dragons today. If you insist on trying... I will hear of it. Ocarern wouldn't let you go alone and he definitely doesn't want you getting hurt again, right? Speaking of which... weren't you two talking? Or eating or something... Go finish breakfast, yeah? I have things to do, run along." He knew that wasn't what he should've said, but the words were already out and he couldn't take them back.

Moving around her, Aren headed back around to start counting supplies on the shelves by the door. He quickly discovered that they were missing honey, though. An entire jar, too. All that was left on the shelf was the smaller reserve supply they kept. Furrowing his brow at this, he kept counting in silence, his body tense and his eyes finally allowing the hurt to show through again as he aimed to lose himself in his task. Distance is good... Keep your distance.

Haze

Looking at the floor? Cause it needs cleaning? Aren, sometimes I don't know you from a bar of soap. She scowled for the hair ruffling. "I just fixed that," she grumbled underneath his comments about how much work he had to do, and pulled the tie out. She didn't believe it for a second, and the skeptical look on her face as she sat down said so. She crossed her arms across her middle, and stared belligerently at him while he made his excuses.

She almost giggled at his reaction to her suggestion. Almost. Her tired eyes began to dance, and she snorted. "Settle petal, I was only kidding. " She cleared her throat, and raked a hand through her hair. "And I'd be perfectly safe..." But he was still talking, and now he was bringing Rennie into it. She stood with a sigh of her own, and leaned against the wall, watching as Aren moved away. "Run along? Run along? What am I? Some little pet?

"We were talking, yes, Aren, and Rennie was eating, not me. You know I don't eat till later." She paused, and let her eyes follow after him, trying to understand what it was she had done wrong. Yes, she knew he had chores to do, and yes, she knew he was busy but ... there was this ... awkwardness between them. Her eyes narrowed as he counted stock.  "You know, you work too hard." She pushed herself off the wall, and retied her hair as she walked over to him. She tilted her head upwards, trying to see into his face, and then sighed.

"What's gotten into you, huh?" She laid a hand on his arm, and ran it down to find his hand. "Aren, quit counting and look at me, would you? Are you upset about last night still? Because you know it was no one's fault. And I'm fine. I'm not hurt or anything. Like I was saying before, I know you'll never let me get hurt... and if I ever decide to nearly die again, " she gave him a cheeky smile and a hand squeeze, "you know how to revive me, right?"

Juno

A pet she was not, but it was only a matter of time before he blew his cover if they kept this up. As he stood there, he certainly felt her eyes upon him but refused to leave his task even as she brought up that familiar reminder. "Of course I do. I have to, you know that, Kessy," he grumbled, furrowing his brow as he continued on.

Aren knew she was telling the truth, but the extent of that was what he wasn't believing. What he heard was telling enough, he thought. The things they had said wouldn't be forgotten and neither would his thoughts on what had just happened. It was fairly cruel, he thought, that she would come to him now when he'd been trying to lick his wounds in peace.

The touch of her hand only had him further tensing as he tried so dearly to hold onto his focus while he fought the urge to ball his hand into a fist so she wouldn't touch, so she wouldn't be so gentle with him. Don't let her see. Don't let her know. Oblivious is better now, for the both of them... but dammit, it's not fair! He did stop, but he still kept himself facing forward and refused to look at her properly, just out of the corner of his eye. She was giving him the perfect cover, he soon realized.

"Upset? No... I guess... I guess I'm still just a little shaken up still," he offered, brushing absently at his clothes again before glancing to the door that he knew would lead back out to their friend. Or perhaps something more than friends now. Probably whispered it all in secret after... after they... kissed. Aren gulped at the mere thought, swallowing back against the heavy lump in his throat for all these fears that were of his own making and assumption.

"Revive you...?" His eyes widen a bit before he clenched them shut to keep her from seeing the envy they harbored now. She has someone who can do that for her now. Why does she taunt me with it? Shaking his head, he plastered a smile to his face to try not to worry her as he pulled away to continue along to other shelves to resume his counting."Right... revive. Hopefully we won't be needing to do that again.

"So, if you aren't risking your necks with dragons today what will you and Ocarern be up to, hm?" Oh, damn it all... I'm totally setting myself up. Can I take it back? Maybe she didn't hear me... Oh, of course she heard me, but I don't want to know what they'll be doing!!! Newly-paired lovebirds... Let me work, go have your fun.

Haze

She dropped her hand with a frown. She was quiet for a time, trying to understand the sudden overwhelming feeling of rejection that filled her. It was almost as terrifying as having her lungs fill up with water. He doesn't care. No, he just can't read your thoughts. But he wont even give me a chance. Look at him - he's so closed. He's never been this way with me before. She felt a tiny tremble in her lower lip, and she bit down.

"We're not doing anything, we don't have any plans. Chances are, Ocarern will be off to do some petty thievery, and I'll be sitting here planning and practising." She sniffed, and rubbed her temples, adding in a muttered after thought, "and dying quietly. Damn cold." A look of disappointment washed over her features, and she moved to the door. She could tell she wasn't wanted, and it broke her.

Casting a sad look over her shoulder, she seemed to weaken within the door frame, shoulders drooping. "Whatever, Aren.  I just ... I just wanted to tell you... ugh. Never mind." She slapped the wall, and with heavy feet, returned to the front of the tav. She didn't lift her eyes from the floor, didn't say a word. Even as she sat back down at the table, little Kestal, with her heart on her sleeve, refused to look up, and simply slumped forward like she had first thing that morning, head on one arm, with the other flung over her face to hide the hot tears of rejection that threatened to rise in her eyes.

Juno

He could admit to himself that he had been wrong to be so cold and short with her, but as he looked over his shoulder at her, he knew he wouldn't be speaking a word about it right now. The look on her face was absolutely heart-wrenching and, hurt and confused as it made him feel to see it he found he couldn't compel himself to look away now. Lowering his hand, the look in his eyes was that of a boy shamed.

With all her sniffling he couldn't tell if she was about to cry, just had a tickle or what, but it hadn't struck him yet that she might've gotten sick. Wringing his hands, Aren finally hung his head for how sad she looked in the doorway. Why is she upset? She has Ocarern. Didn't they just...? ...unless they didn't. Well, she never said anything to the contrary! ...but she also doesn't know that you think something happened. Oh, it doesn't matter, there's no way I heard 'I love you' and 'you're special' wrong! It's not like she's ever told me that before. Aren just shook his head as he watched her going away.

Oh, look at the hypocrite I am. I can't even tell them. It's not like I don't feel something for the two of them, in their own way. Yet, I say nothing.

It took him a moment, but Aren finally crossed over and back out to the front. Clearing the threshold, he eyed the table his friends sat at warily now with a sorry look on his face. Glancing to the bar, he saw his father just shaking his head before he gestured with a limp hand over to the pair. Making his way over, his eyes almost immediately lighted on the missing monstrosity of a honey jar, or jug, really, but he was only glad that he'd "found" it for a moment as he watched Kestal. Cautiously, he lifted a hand to place upon her shoulder as a heavy sigh of regret escaped him.

"Kessy? I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was upsetting you," he offered cautiously, glancing to the elf and then back toward his father before returning his eyes to her. "Can I make it up to you? Please? I'll do anything you'd like."

Haze

Kestal jerked her shoulder slightly at the feel of his hand, but didn't move away. Instead, her eyes closed, almost painfully. For a full thirty seconds, she said nothing. She fought down the desire to turn into him, and throw her arms around him, and tell him everything that was on her heart to tell. It wasn't time.

"It's fine," she finally muttered, before sitting up properly. She cast a tired glance to Aren fleetingly, before her gaze fell to the mug of water and lemon she'd collected when she had first arrived. It was no longer steaming, but she knew it would be soothing all the same. If not for her heart, then at least for her throat. Her hand reached out for it, the slightest weak tremor causing her fingers to shake. Those same fingers clutched at the handle quickly, before either of her friends could notice.

She took a long pull on the liquid, draining it to halfway. Setting the mug back down with a sigh, she looked towards the stage. "I need to - ahem," She started again, emotion and illness combining to thicken her throat, despite the drink. "I need to get things organised for tonight."

Slipping out of her seat without another word, she grabbed up her satchel and lute, and walked lethargically to the stage. Once there, she folded upon herself, sitting cross legged on the hard floor. She raised her lute, without looking to any music, and began to pluck out a slow, haunting melody that had been playing in her mind for several weeks. She hummed along quietly, though her voice cracked and squeaked several times, void of the power usually found there. She refused to look up at her friends, because she knew that the words she sang in her mind would show plainly on her face.

Not yet, Kestal. It's not time yet.

GoblinFae

Ocarern had been pleased to see Aren, until the other man had acted all grumpy and stormed off. 'Oh no! It's about the honey! I shouldn't have taken it. He must hate me.' The small elf made a move to go after him, but Kestal beat him to it.

Nodding his head to her request, he let her go. 'Kessy is such a good friend. She will right things for me. She always takes such good care of me. I hope she understands I would do the same, if she ever let me. Stubborn woman.'

Nervous about how much he trouble he could be in, the elf just played with his food. Sticky fingers gripped the wooden spoon tightly as he sloshed the gruel about the bowl. His stomach gurgled, demanding the very sustenance he we was spilling onto the table. But, poor Ocarern could not bring himself to eat another bite until his friends returned.

Seeing Kestal approach though sent his heart into his boots. 'She's upset. Aren got mad at her and now she is all gray. If she hadn't gone to defend me he wouldn't have taken it out on her. I need to fix this. He can't go around bullying her for my bad habits.'

"Kessy? I'm sorry," he apologized, moving to place his hand on hers before realizing its sticky nature and returning it back to the table. Ocarern would have said more but, fell silent as Aren made his way over to them. 'He looks upset too. I must have really caused problems between them. They shouldn't this kind of conflict. It's not good for them, not when they are starting to be lavender for each other. Oh! I think he is goi-He is! Go Aren! Make Kessy feel better and I'll replace the honey tenfold!' In his mind, Ocarern failed to say that he would do so by honorable means.

'Kestal!' his mind whined. 'You're supposed to accept the apology, not get pissed off at it! No. No! No, no, no! Kessy! Come back! Ah! Incompetent woman! No wonder I have to do everything around here.' He frowned as he watched Kestal make her way over to the stage. 'Oh wait. She's going to play!' His eyes lit up in delight, in hopes of hearing the sweet music only she could play.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Accepting that his offer was being brushed off now, Aren lowered his hand and instead reached it back to pull up a chair for himself at the table. He couldn't deny that he felt quite bad now. Was it really just the jealousy that had caused this? Kestal had been kind, thoughtful, sensitive to him and what had he done? He'd been cold, short, and scornful when she still looked as tired as he felt.

Watching her leave to go up to the stage he put his elbows up on the table and leaned his forehead into his joined hands. He did peek through his fingers at Ocarern's breakfast, though. "I don't think she likes me very much right now," he told the elf. "Maybe she'll be better later." It was more a hope than an honest thought; Kestal was quieter than she normally was but he hadn't picked up on it yet that she was probably trying to conserve her voice from the harsh grip of her cold.

The music was hauntingly beautiful, he thought, if a bit rough around the edges, but he thought it just made it more organic; Kestal's music had never been about perfection, to him, just the stunning qualities she managed to tease out. It always captured their attention, he knew, but Ocarern's was always so obvious. What, with how protective he was of it, of her. "Ocarern?" Pulling himself away from the music for a moment, he dropped his hands and moved to replace the top on the jar of honey. "Tell me something... What do you think of Kessy? What is it about her- her music that you like so much?"

GoblinFae

Watching Aren, Ocarern glared and pursed his lips. Each word falling from his friend's lips only served to enrage him more. Scowling, the elf thoroughly licked his spoon off before thunking the bowl of it down hard on the top of Aren's bowed head.

"You are an idiot Pexsa! How could she like you right now when you bully her over something I did. You are nothing but a big meanie! I wouldn't come back after the way you treated her." His rant was cut short thought by the strains of music coming from the stage. Ears perking up, Ocarern shifted his gaze and attention to Kestal.

'I like the softer voice. It is ethereal. She should try that more often.' The elf's eyes squinted together as Aren interrupted his listening with nonsensical questions. He sheepishly let it go when his friend replaced the cap to the honey jar. 'I'm in big trouble. Might as well answer.'

"Kessy is sweet and funny; she is most days a really pretty yellow, like buttercups. There are always some many ideas and thoughts flitting across her mind, you wonder what she is thinking about, what new song she is concocting. That's why I lo-like her, well that and her music. The music reminds me of home, of better days. My parents loved music. When they died I thought my love for it had died with them. Then I met Kestal and it was renewed all over again. When she sings, it's like a piece of my soul has been returned to me."

Feeling nervous, Ocarern reached out and latched onto one of Aren's hands with both of his. Self-conscious now, he gave it a quick squeeze before releasing it with a bright smile. 'You are another part of my soul returned to me Aren. If I ever needed to, I know I could talk to you. I know that I could trust you as I have trusted no other. I love you Aren, I just wish you felt the same. You are the best friend I have ever had. You both are.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Aren had only been able to flinch away from Ocarern's initial comments just as he had done from being thumped with the spoon. He didn't like how he seemed to shove it in his face that he "did" something. No. Aren didn't like that at all. Just thinking about it again was giving him a headache and making his stomach do strange things. I think I might be sick!

The elf was kind enough to let it lie, but he was pretty sure that it was only thanks to Kestal's music. "You don't understand, I wasn't being mean," he muttered in small defense of himself before falling silent once again.

It bothered Aren a great deal, when he realized it at least, that he was sitting here with the man that had ruined, perhaps forever, his chances. With either of them. At least in his own, skewed vision.

Hearing his reply at last made him regret ever asking in the first place. Of course. A piece of his soul. He hated how greedy he was. How selfish. To hear Ocarern talking about something so tender and dear to his heart as music and mentioning his parents again and only feel a blaze rise up in him. He wanted it, too. He sorely wanted even a shred of the connection his friends seemed to share with one another.

At the same time, he knew exactly what Ocarern meant. Kestal's music was truly something special and had been for him since the first moment he'd heard it. He could not fault the elf in admiring her as he did, but he could certainly be jealous all the same, especially in thinking that the two had some secret bond now that he was sure neither would speak a word of to him. It was nicer that way, though, he thought. "Wow... That really is lovely. And it's true... our Kessy is so mysterious sometimes."

If they make it official then I cannot speak against it. As long as they keep it a secret then maybe there really is some chance for me. I can change it. Somehow. Maybe. I...think. All I can do is try. He felt something, then, his thoughts interrupted as he found his hand joined with another. Knowing just how rare it was for the elf to initiate any form of contact caused him to raise a brow, but it all too quickly dissolved into warmer as a smile finally lit his features in mirror of Ocarern's. He didn't know why it just happened, but it had and he found himself staring at the other man's hand for a moment, his stomach doing its odd churning again. "Thank you," he said slowly, unsure really if he was thanking him for sharing his thoughts or the contact, though the words somehow seemed to fit for the moment either way.

Briefly looking past him toward Kestal, Aren's eyes focused on her lute but for a moment before his attention jumped back again. Scooting over with his chair, he eyed the elf but for a moment before he leaned close to speak at his ear, "Shall we go and get her something today for tonight? Some flowers, perhaps? It's been a while since we've given her anything besides our praise, don't you think?" Leaning back, he continued on, still in a low voice. "Do you think she might like something? Or would she just throw it away?" he asked with a snigger.