Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A warm fire and icy rain

Started by Heartfrost, May 03, 2012, 12:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heartfrost

Normally Hendrick wouldn't have let someone he didn't know well be allowed to touch Marilyn and guide her like Petal did. But during this one night, she already had gained his trust, so he didn't even flinch when the girl took Marilyn's hand. Hendrick just nodded, acknowledging that he had heard her.
  He smiled at her comment and suppressed a small laugh. If he knew himself at all, he'd be up first in the morning (He hadn't considered the fact that he usually slept on hard and rocky soil and this time would be in a bed). The climb up the stair proved to be more challenging, because of Petal's many 'guests'. The fact that Jerry was a big dog and equally interested in sniffing on all the newcomers as he was interested in following Petal and just plainly being in the way. Hendrick  managed to dance out of the dog and cats way. Before he knew it, Petal had stopped and the white-haired mercenary almost walked into Marilyn.
  A nervous Petal apologized. Hendrick waved away her apology. This was far better than an in. Which probably would be full of drunkards like Tom. So a few bats, yeah, he could handle those.
"No need to worry Petal. This is just fine. It's a safe place for Marilyn, it's clean and dry. I can't and won't ask for anything more. So ..." he gave her a friendly pat on her shoulder "... don't worry. If anything would happen you're just down the hall, right?" He smiled reassuringly. He'd be happy tomorrow when he could give her something in return. A little food for the animals and some small repairs for the door. If Tom came back with 'reinforcement' he'd just have to come up with something.
"Sleep tight Petal", he said quietly before ushering Marilyn into the room and closing the door gently behind the pair. He quickly searched the bed and room for eventual freeriders, found some and picking them up from the bed, placing them outside  the door. The cats scratched however, and Hendrick surrendered by letting the door stay slightly open.
"Now you can go as you please. Don't disturb me or Marilyn. Understood?"
He didn't Think the cats or pigeon cared about what he said (Or understood either) but it couldn't hurt. He had warned them!
   He helped Marilyn out of her clothes and helped her change into her nightgown. Not so much helping as showing the clothes and giving them to her. Things like this she comprehended. Going through the motions, forwards and backwards. Was it the body remembering or was their still some part of her soul left in there? Hendrick didn't know and if anyone knew they really should tell him.
   You'd be a cruel person otherwise.
Soon both he and the red-haired, beautiful girl had a blanket above them and a soft mattress beneath them. It was small but comfortable and despite Hendrick's warning a small cat made her way up to sleep close to Hendrick's feet. Some other guests nestled elsewhere in the room and Hendrick let their chittering and Marilyn's breathing lull him into sleep.

GoblinFae

"Pleasant dreams, Hendrick, Marilyn," she bid with a bob of her head to each before retreating across the hall to her own room. Her door was shut but could still be opened with a nudge by any animal that desired to come and go as it pleased.

Ladybird's head fell heavily to the pillow as soon as she had crawled under the soft, warm covers. It took a few moments for everyone to settle down again. Jerry's presence had disturbed some of the nesting birds and gave a baby rabbit a mighty fright.

With cats draped around her her head and sides, Jerry at her feet and Fern curled around the headboard, the botanist finally plunged deep into sleep where both dreams and nightmares awaited her. Images of benighn things such as flower arrangements greeted her sleeping eyes before quickly turning into the angry and slimy face of the apothecary. Over and over she would start to have a pleasant dream before it always ended the same.

Just as dawn began to break Ladybird emerged from her bed, drenched in sweat and wide awake. With some difficulty she made it out of her room, trying to keep quiet even as her light weight made the floor groan in protest and the stairs shriek. When she had at last made it to the bottom she was sure she had woken not only the whole house but the neighborhood too. The ringing in her ears and pounding in her head was driving her insane. Even the tea she put on the regrowing fire was not as appealing to her as it normally was. There was anticipation and tension in the air. Anything could happen.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Heartfrost

Hendrick felt it too when he woke up, from the sound of creaking floor boards. This was a day when anything could happen. Tom would be back. He had to come back for his dog. Question was; Would he be bringing with him trouble or would he sober up a bit and decide it wasn't worth fighting? Hendrick hoped for the latter. Not for his own sake (He could take if everyone in a city disliked him. He didn't have to come back. It was different for Petal who had lived her whole life here. She couldn't just leave her shop or family, Hendrick guessed).
  He sat up, stretched and yawned. Looking lazily to his side he saw Marilyn curled up into a ball. A red and orange cat had draped itself over Marilyns neck and both were sleeping soundly. The White-haired mercenary smiled and placed a feather light kiss on top of Marilyn's head before carefully stepping out of the bed.
  He quickly dressed before descending down. He looked cautiously around. He had thought he had heard something. It was probably just Jerry or another big guest, but Hendrick was a careful man by nature. You didn't live long as a mercenary if you rushed into rooms without at least glancing about. When he came down in the early dawn he saw Petal. Hendrick thought she looked distressed. Her eyes looked tired and was that her hands shaking? Hendrick wasn't sure if he was imagining things, because he thought she'd react in one way. Seeing no point in hiding he took the last step down from the stair and held up his hand in a greeting.
"Morning"
Making himself at home he pulled out a chair from the table and sat down. He didn't look directly at Petal, not wanting her to feel uncomfortable. Some women preferred to keep their fears and anxieties hidden or if they couldn't hide them, hope the audience was polite enought to pretend not to notice.
"How' you doing Petal? I mean with everything that happened yesterday?"

GoblinFae

Her head came up sharply but a smile quickly lit up her face once she saw who it was. "Good morning Hendrick. Did you sleep well?" she questioned warmly and quietly. Ladybird did not see Marilyn and feared waking her should the other woman still be sleeping. "Was everything alright for the both of you?"

The shopkeeper continued to bustle about the downstairs, never stopping as she flitted from one thing to the next. At last though the tea was ready and two cups were filled. Ladybird had no choice but to sit down and share the moment.

"I am quite well thank you. The storm bothered me for a bit last night but then I slept like a lamb. No other complaints though from me. I didn't wake you though did I? I tried to be quiet but the house is so very old and, well you get it I suppose."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Heartfrost

He narrowed his eyes, looking suspiciously at Petal. He didn't really believe her, but he was not going to push. He was a guest after all and it would be horrendously impolite of him. So instead he smiled and relaxed back in the chair.
"Yeah, I slept well. As did Marilyn. She's still asleep and will probably be so until someone gives her a nudge".
He gave her a nod as 'thank you' when she passed him the cup. He held it and let the warmth seep into his hands. The skin was worn from the many years of holding a sword and small scars from minor cuts. Hendrick spent some time looking down. Those hands, which had held a woman close, riding like mad, away from the soldiers he once called comrades, away from the place which he would always call home. He was not welcome there, not anymore. He would never be.
"I like this old house. It has character and a history", he smiled and looked up "Each bump and scratch tell a little of its history and today you can tell your guests a new one. You can point at the door and say 'Those new boards are from when Hendrick and Marilyn came over' ", he continued and took a sip of the tea. He liked the flavour he concluded. Yesterday he hadn't thought of it much (Being more focused on getting warm). Today he had the time.
"Know any good shops around here, lady? Wouldn't want to be fooled by a merchant's honeyed words".
He put the cup down and looked at Petal.
"Do you want to come with me for a stroll or would you rather stay here and get everything in order for opening today?"
To Hendrick it didn't really matter. He was more worried what would be best if Tom came back with his powerful 'friends'. Would it be better if Petal was home or not? If Hendrick could have any say in the matter he'd prefer to be here if things got ugly. But then again, it couldn't be that much of a problem. Petal had talked a little about the apothecary. Surely he couldn't be such a bitter man?

GoblinFae

Ladybird chuckled and shook her head slightly. "Aye, I'll be sure to remember that and smile every time I do. But, really now Hendrick I don't think it's necessary. Surely it can just be put back on its hinges with a bit of elbow grease." The blush that colored her cheeks when the door promptly crashed to the floor from a gale wind could not be concealed no matter how much she bit her lip and looked to the side.

"Well then I guess that changes things. The only two places I could think where you can buy wood are either down by the docks which is a mighty hike or," she took a long draw of her tea, her foot bouncing nervously under the table as she did so. "Or you could go to Luke our carpenter whose shop is conveniently located right next to Agehneim's. Now then, would you like more tea? It's a lavender brew, a bit girly perhaps but very soothing in my opinion. Helps start the day on the right foot."

She stood up anyway, disregarding whether his answer had been negative or not and nearly tripped over Jerry along the way to the fire. "Besides shouldn't you let Marilyn rest? I do not suppose with your kind of work you always get even as humble accommodations as my own. I would be more than willing to stay with her. Unless of course you prefer her with you. I don't know your preference, I know that she is very special to you."

The smile Ladybird gave him was a kind one with no malice or ill-will towards him. She really did not mind if they stayed with her. They had been wonderful company aside from the incident with Tom but that was no one's fault really save his own. The idea of seeing the apothecary though was setting her a little bit on edge. If she did not go to him then it was only a matter of time before he came to her. Ladybird only hoped though that his arrival would be long after Hendrick's departure.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

The door fell to the floor. Hendrick felt the tug at the edge of his lip and tried to keep a serious and cool expression while sipping his tea;
"Yes indeed. A little grease and it will be just as new", he teased. He did his best to keep from laughing (Not wanting to embarrass Petal any further) but he couldn't hold back his smile.
  She begun talking about the different carpenters in town. She seemed very distressed while mentioning the second carpenter. Hendrick tried to remember. She had been talking about trouble with the Apothecary, but had she said his name? Hendrick couldn't remember.
"No thank you, no more tea. I'll be on my way to buy groceries", he said while standing up and giving Petal a knightly bow. In his town the Mordecai were taught manners besides just hunting magic. You need to be courteous while dealing with a powerful magic-user, so that said magic-user didn't decide you were not worth the trouble and turn you into a pile of ash.
"You are right. I'll let Marilyn stay here while I go out shopping. Who knows, maybe you can get her to talk?" he added the last part jokingly but some part of him still hoped. Petal was very much alike Marilyn in her personality. Maybe, just maybe, it could help? It was a stupid thought. Marilyn hadn't said a word for seven years, why should she begin now?
  If Hendrick just knew that Marilyn's soul (or her ghost) was in the very same room and was by some magic unable to talk to him, well ... He probably would be a little more hopeful.

Without further due, Hendrick lifted the fallen door and put it against the wall.
"So customers won't walk on it", he smiled before heading out into the city of Featherfall. He decided to take a walk, buying food on the way. He wanted to see the city, not just rush through it like he had yesterday. His first thought was that Serendipity was very alike Connloath and at the same time, nothing at all. There was a bakery, a butchery and a pottery shop. Merchants trying to attract customers with exotic wares
"The best you'll ever buy!"
"Connloathian steel!"
"Cheap, cheap shoes over here!"
And beggers trying to earn an extra copper.
"Please sir, help a fellow down on his luck?"
Not many beggers came close to Hendrick. Having a nasty scar could prove useful sometimes. He continued Walking, stopping every now and then to exchange money with merchants for their wares. Soon he had all he needed in way of food. He stopped a young boy and told him to carry the wares back to lady Petal. The boy - who had blonde hair, a to big red cap and was missing a tooth - were eager to help for the two coppers Hendrick offered as payment. With a stern glare Hendrick made sure the boy wouldn't go somewhere else with the wares. A little afraid the boy scuttled away. But the man was with Lady Hornsworth, so he couldn't be all bad, he reasoned while hurriyng off.
   Hendrick found himself having walked in a circle coming the other way to Luke's carpenter shop. Not far from there, the town drunk was spilling his problems to his employer. Now way more sober than yesterday, but nothing without slurring the words every now and then.
" ... 'nd you see sir, that ox o' a man, he can't be good for Petal. You really ought to go there, you now makin' sure everything is all right", Tom said. He had just told Agehneim the story of how he, Tom, had politely knocked on the door yesterday because his dog was hurt. How sweet lady Petal, barely had dared to say anything, and the things she had said had been very mean, but it was probably because she was afraid. How that scarred man, refused to introduce Tom to the red-headed girl and barely allowed Tom into the house. He couldn't be good for Petal. And what if Petal learned from his bad behavoiur?

Hendrick was happily unaware of this conversation, but held one of his own with Luke. It was a pleasant day-to-day chatter while Luke measured the new boards.

During all this time, the ghost of Marilyn followed Petal with great interest. She liked this girl. She was sweet, kind and nice. If Petal noticed, she'd feel like there was someone in the room with her (apart from all the animals) and maybe notice how things she needed suddenly just appeared close to her. Marilyn was merely trying to help by bringing scissors, seeds and other things to the flowergirl.

GoblinFae

"Thank you, that is very thoughtful of you. It would be quite embarrassing to try to explain how foot prints got on the door. Someone might think there is a wall-walker in town or something," she jested back in turn. "Take care Hendrick!"

No longer able to use excuses to dawdle, Ladybird hopped to her feet and bustled about once more in preparation for the day. The floor needed sweeping, the counters wiping, the flowers watering, and the orders finishing. By nine everything was in pristine condition once more and the first of her customers were bustling on their ways in.

Ladybird did find it odd though as things she was sure she had left in one place turned up right next to her hand the next time she looked down. She wrote it off as exhaustion and stress from the previous night's storm as well as the trouble that had come with it.

Once she had peeked in on Marilyn upstairs, concerned that the girl was alright without Hendrick around. The shopkeeper had no way of knowing whether she would feel safe enough to venture out on her own or not and so had quietly come and go, leaving a pale blue dress on a chair and a plate of food and drink beside it should she awake. The sight of the cats curled around the other woman did bring a smile to Ladybird's face, especially since one of her more territorial felines was curled protectively near the silent woman's head and looking ready to bite Ladybird should the botanist get too close. "Peace Akira," she had whispered before sneaking back downstairs to the shop once more.

Jacks' loud entrance drew her attention away from a rather haughty customer who was unsatisfied with the ribbon used on her flower arrangement. With a huff and a few parting comments the overbearing woman finally left Ladybird to handle the young vagabond.

"And how may I help you young sir?"
"Some bloke with a ugly scar said you be wantin' these. 'e also said you be payin' me for me efforts. So uh," he fidgeted about, rubbing at his jaw and looking off to the side, "that'll be a sun and I'll be on me way now."

The botanist giggled and ruffled the boy's hair, picking up his hat for him after she knocked it down, and sending him away with two suns for his trouble. 'Boys,' she sighed as she went about putting the purchases away, completely unaware that her happy mood was going to be ruined by the approaching apothecary and his drunken lackey.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

[[Sorry for the long wait!]]

"Thank you Luke. T'is exactly what I'll need", Hendrick said and dropped the coins into the carpenters hand. Luke nodded his thanks and smiled in return. The carpenter had to admit he had felt a bit awkward when the other scarred man had entered. I mean, how do you talk to someone who looks like he has a permanent deathglare? Just like an ordinary person, Luke learned during the conversation. After all Hendrick didn't have a flying mirror showing all of his expressions, so he couldn't really know if he looked scary or not. Oh well, let us not bother ourself with these things.

To sum it up, Luke and the Mercenary had a pleasant conversation, and Hendrick got the planks he needed in order to repair Petal's door. Without further due, the white-haired man turned around and left the carpenter's shop.

So let us talk about Marilyn. We already know she was following the botanist around and when Petal walked up the stairs, Marilyn happily followed. Let me just tell you, it is a very weird experience to see your own body. No, not in that way, but from the wrong perspective. From the outside it is a very weird experience. Marilyn however had gotten used to it by now. Seven years had past since the last time she had used her very own eyes. Now she was exiled from the one thing that was rightly hers, granted by her parents and God. Or whatever power people choosed to believe in. In Marilyn's case a lot of spirits and Mother Earth.

It warmed her heart to see all the little animals cuddle around her helpless form. She suspected they could feel that a small part of her still lingered inside of their or that she at least maintained a feeble connection with her body. In life, Marilyn had always had an affinity for animals, part of it because of her childhood and her own arcane powers. Marilyn watched how the other woman put down food and drink. The Body continued to lie down without moving. No reaction, no expression. When Petal had left Marilyn moved closer to her body and gave it a Nudge. First food then the dress. The part of Marilyn that still was a woman wanted to wear something nice for a change. Hendrick's choice of clothing was practical, yes, but he didn't think much of fashion. Sometimes a girl doesn't want sturdy shoes. Sometimes she just wants pretty feet. The body slowly rose and ate the food and drank the water. Marilyn gave the body another Nudge. The body turned its head towards the dress and slowly pulled it over its head. Marilyn continued to Nudge it in the right direction until she was satiesfied with how it looked.

She froze however when she felt someone enter the building. She didn't like the feeling of this one. She had felt many of the different customers today and hadn't thought much about them. This one felt like ... it came with malice in mind. The Ghost of Marilyn hurried down. Where was Hendrick?

Agehneim looked at the hole. The door was neatly placed on the wall beside it but to him it still looked ridiculous. The whole situation felt bizarre. Why was he here? Because one of his most foul "workers" had come to him, blabbering about a scarred man being here. He wasn't worried that Petal would change her thinking as Tom had mentioned. No, Agehneim knew he had sweet Petal in his pocket as long as her sister still was in need of her medicine. Petal wouldn't afterall want anything bad to happend to the baby. Just a little too much of that and a little too less of that. A horrible accident, but mistakes and accidents do happen.

No what bothered the Apothecary most was not business. It was the fact that someone he didn't know was there. Who was this scarred man? And more importantly, who was he to Petal? Someone she knew well? Just another stray she helped - again? It was no secret that not only small animals had found shelter in the botanist's house but also weary travellers.
Without waiting for an invitation the older man stepped over the threshold and into the house. Right on his heels came Tom, fiddling nervously with his hands. The apothecary looked around until he found the person he sought.

"Ah, Petal dearest!" he said with a voice dipped in too much honey "I come here waiting for my supplies. I thought this would be a good time to pick them up from you".
Agehneim strolled over to the counter not noticing the chill in the air. Marilyn didn't like this man and her malcontent seeped into this reality in the shape of a cold breeze. Agehneim put down both his hands on the counter with a thump, looking at the botanist and scaring some of the small animals. One cat hissed from across the room.
"And I also came to ask you about last night. I have heard rumours. I thought it best to go to the source directly, rather than spreading any lies further. I'd hate to tarnish your reputation, so tell me. What happened to your door last night? And who spent the night here?"

((I hope it is okay that I took Control of Agenheim. I tried to make him as he his in your other posts. Just tell me if I should erase/change anything :) ))

GoblinFae

Ladybird was sitting quietly working on an arrangement when her least wanted customer sauntered in through her door with all the grace of a sick porcupine. Dearest he had called her as he had many times before and she was sure she was going to be sick as soon as he left. The botanist was too strong-willed to allow him to see the smallest ounce of weakness from her.

Without looking up she addressed the snake in human's skin. "I hand-delivered your supplies to you last week Agenheim. If however, you would like to make another request you can do so now. The forms are to your left; I am sure you understand how they work by now. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask, I am at your service."

She kept the unfortunately that was fighting to roll off her tongue to herself, allowing only Fern to the acidity of the word, much to his own amusement. From his place coiled around her neck, he hissed softly and soothingly in an attempt to keep his human's temper from unleashing.

It was not to be though as the apothecary came up to her counter and shoved the arrangement out of her sight and hands. "You cannot ignore me forever lovely, surely you know that by now," he countered, reaching forward to play with one of her stray locks of hair. "Now how about letting your dear friend know all about your misfortunes of this evening past?"

At last Ladybird was forced to look up, wanting nothing more than to spit in this cruel man's eye. "If there was but a friend around to tell then I would. But alas, I see no one here who fits that description. Now, if you are quite done, I have work to be doing."

The sudden feeling of a cold, clammy hand clamping upon her tiny wrist with a crushing force, had the young woman inhaling sharply as her eyes flashed up to meet those of the man before her. "Unhand me sir or I'll-"

"Or you'll what? Call for your dear knight in tarnished armor? I am counting on that. You see no man enters your home without permission and-"

"And he already had mine. I thank you for your concern however my business is my own and what I do outside of our contracts with each other is none of yours, Agenheim. Release me, now," she hissed angrily, in time with her familiar's own angry sputtering.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

At least Fern was honest about what he was. Agenheim was not. Marilyn didn't need to be a former-witch to see that. She knew exactly what she wanted to do. She wanted to be back in her body so that she could walk down the stairs and chastize this despicable man. She wanted to stand beside Petal and give the botanist some comfort and strenght with her company. It was always easier to stand up against somebody when you knew you had someone to back you up or at least pick you up when the fight was done. Not that this would come to blows. This wasn't the kind of fight.

Marilyn was just happy that the botanist had her snake. Maybe that was the reason the other girl dared to stand up to this man? Because she knew she had the support of her scaly friend? This insight didn't give much comfort to Marilyn however. She felt useless. She wanted to help so badly but what could she do? So she did what seemed best to her. When Agenheim sauntered to the disk like he owned the place Marilyn stood behind Petal. If you could say that a ghostly presence could stand behind somebody.

Marilyn's ghost actually 'jumped', startled by Agenheim's behaviour. The flower arrangment fell to the floor, ruined. Marilyn wanted to bang her fists on the counter and scream in his face. But she couldn't. She couldn't do anything as that horrible man played with Petal's stray curls.
Marilyn wasn't the only one who felt useless. Tom stood at the back of the shop (Or front really, close to the door) rubbing his elbows and looking down at the floor. He had sobered up quite a bit now and the guilt was slowly creeping down on him. Maybe he shouldn't have said anything to Agenheim. How many times had not Petal helped him and his dogs? Far more times than he deserved. How had he paid her back? With wrecking her shop whenever he was in one of his drunken stupors. He tentatively reached out with his hand;
" 'Ey, boss. No need 'o go so hard on 'er. Ain't her fault that buffon was 'ere yesterday".
Now when he thought about he felt more and more guilty. He had been rather rude actually. Oh, why couldn't he just had thought this over a bit more? Why did he have to run with everything to Agenheim? Why didn't he just think more?

This my ladies and gentlemen was also the reason why Tom was the town-drunk. To get rid of the shame he downed himself in alcohol. Then he did something he'd regret the next day and so the cycle kept going.

Agenheim took hold of Petal's wrist and Marilyn couldn't stand it. Her rage at being kept out of her body for seven years, her rage for being unable to help and her rage for being worthless took hold of her. The Ghost of Marilyn threw herself against Agenheim, delivering a ghostly blow before her soul stormed away to one of her three anchors: Hendrick.

He was walking on the road, distracted by the crowd. Marilyn looked at him. So scarred. So bitter. She just wanted to talk to him, tell him she was alright. But she couldn't do that. She could only do this. Marilyn gave Hendrick a Nudge. She Nudged on some of his already existing thoughts, those who were always there in the back of his mind.

"Marilyn is in danger".
The thought came unbidden to Hendrick and he didn't know why but he knew it was true. His instincts had never been wrong before but he couldn't fathom why. Marilyn should be safe with Petal. If not ... that meant something must have happened. Not wasting anymore time the Mercenary broke into a run, pushing himself through the mass of people not caring of their angry shouts. He soon reached the shop, taking one step over the doorstep, his eyes not really taking the room in before he uttered the question:
"Is Marilyn hurt?"
The Ghost of Marilyn could have slapped him. He was a Mercenary. Shouldn't he be a little more concerned with the unknown man who was holding on to Petal's wrist while her snake looked ready to bite? Oh well. A Nudge could only affect people so much and she had Nudged on his protective feelings over herself. He'd gather his wits soon enough.

GoblinFae

The dark shadow that was Hendrick, darkening her doorstep served to both calm and worry Ladybird's nerves. She did not wish to drag him into her own personal affairs but she also hoped that in the same vein, Agenheim would see the situation as not a time to be bringing their feuds out for others to see. A slippery fellow was he, but also a cunning one. He knew when to use which weapon. Her only prayer was that it would be in as much her favor as his.

"Maril-"

"Marilyn, who pray tell is this Marilyn Petal? Or better yet who is this man that would barge in here unannounced?" The apothecary exclaimed, yanking Ladybird close behind him as if to protect her. The woman in turn growled and stepped around him, her arm still firmly in cased in his own biting grip.

"As I was saying, Marilyn is upstairs getting changed. You are more than welcome to go upstairs and look in on her provided she is decent."

"As if a ruffian like him would even understand the term decent," Agenheim growled back, interrupting her again. "Why the creature positively exudes feral nature. I'm surprised he hasn't come over and bit me already. So this is the dog you crossed paths with, is it Tom? Mm, yes I can certainly see why you two would tussle. He is a bit of nasty chap isn't he? Not too pretty to look at either. Well run along Tom, no use for you skulking around here. Or perhaps stay and see what it takes to be a real man, and save the lady in distress."

Disgusted and distraught, Ladybird rolled her eyes and hoped that Hendrick would stay out of the situation long enough for her to diffuse it. However, given her experience with men, she had a sick feeling within her belly that she would be dead wrong on this one.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]