Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lonely Streets(OPEN)

Started by RedBlade, September 08, 2012, 02:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedBlade

The streets of Arca didn't turn out to be the therapy for which Lummial had been searching for so long. For over a year the only bed he knew was the earth, and the only roof, the sky, and coming to Arca hadn't changed that. The little he had when he arrived was now spent - lost to his taste for ale and tobacco.

Drowning in intoxication in the most spectacular gem in all of Serendipity isn't a bandage big enough for these wounds. I'm beginning to think nothing is.

The breeze was cold on the sweat that covered his body. A stain of his own vomit covered a spot on the ground not too far from where he sat against the wall of an aging building on one of the city's main streets. The night was old and dark, yet there was the occasional passing steps that echoed from across the silent street. No one approached him though, and he suspected it was his rather ragged appearance.

Another night without a home. Who's going to take in a drifter? Probarbly no one in this city - in this gem. The silence is too much to handle. I've had too many drinks too, maybe. Nothing will cure this sickness. Except a bed. Or someone to talk to.

But he did have beings with which to communicate, and he could hear one in the back of his mind.
From out of a dark alleyway to his left came a black cat, with eyes greener than a summer field after a long rain. The cat knew of Lummial's sadness. She felt no pain in being a lone wanderer, herself, but she knew of the needs of humans. She wished to be Lummial's reassurance that he wasn't alone in being alone. She will stay with him on these dark streets, though she was aware that such a companionship would not be the same as that of another human or speaking being.
Lummial put out a trembling hand to scratch the cat on her head. He thanked her for her kindness.

A bed would still be nice though. Maybe one for my friend here, too.

The cat liked that idea.
"We just might meet a kind soul tonight, friend," Lummial said out loud. The thought of his deceased brother came back to his mind with a crushing force.

Someone to turn to. Who won't be gone when you need them

GoblinFae

Nightfall was always her favorite time of day. Toiling in her garden under the sun's watchful gaze was still enjoyable to her, but Ladybird much preferred the cooler nights when she could watch the world come to life in all new ways under the brilliance of the stars.

It was therefore no surprise that despite being in a city far away from home, the young woman was roaming the vacant streets long after the moon and risen high in the sky. She had traveled to Arca on business but with her days kept relatively empty in comparison to her life in Featherfall, Ladybird found that she did not really know what to do with herself. Her only consolation was the setting sun and the promise of the awakening of the night.

Up and down the streets, she leisurely walked in search of nothing and finding everything. The day before it had been a rare breed of rose growing up from the cracks of a tiny alley. Who knew what she would find today. The shopkeeper continued to wander aimlessly until she quite literally stumbled over something or rather someone in the dark.

"Pardon me, I'm afraid I stepped on you by accident. Are you alright?" Ladybird queried, moving to kneel beside the stranger she had unintentionally trampled.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

RedBlade

The cat, Shadowglow was her name, was curled up, cornered between Lummial and the old building, resting beside him for both of their sakes. The Drifter still leaned against the buidling's outter wall as he stared at the sprawling night sky, keeping his eyes open as much as possible - closing them gave him the feeling of the world spinning around him, forcing gags which he fought to keep dry.

A cool breeze blessed Lummial with a lungful of clean air. I still hear you, Brother. No matter what, this is still freedom.

Shadowglow raised her head, alert. Someone was approaching - a friend.
In that moment, Lummial felt a stumbling kick run across his legs. He failed to comprehend her following words; it all happened too fast for his drunken mind to catch. Shadowglow remained peacefully curled, her bright green eyes watching the stranger, who not squatted not too far from Lummial's spot on the street. She's as safe as she looks, the cat informed him.

After a brief moment of inspection, hindered by the innumerable mugs of ale, Lummial had to agree with Shadowglow on their new friend's innocent appearance. It was a relief compared to the dirty city corners he had been frequenting. Something natural; heartwarming, comforting. However, old habits aren't easily broken; Lummial kept a distant mistrust of everyone he met.

Or is that fear? Is this visitor really a potential danger? Traitor? Fairweather friend? Or is fear the only thing controlling me?

Finally he found the strength to force words to his lips, remembering that the woman had asked him something.

"Uh, yes. Yes, thank you. I'm -- uhm -- fine." He coughed hoarsely. "How are you?"

GoblinFae

Ladybird blushed and chuckled nervously. "I am fine thank you. I really am quite sorry sir. I just didn't see you there. Are you sure you're quite alright?" Hearing him coughing and concerned for this stranger she did not know, the young woman reached forward impulsively and gently moved a thumb across his cheek before letting her hand come to rest on his shoulder.

"You don't sound alright. Is there some way I can help you? Where are you staying? You look like you could use some rest," she chattered quickly and worriedly. From beneath her sleeve a tiny head peeked out to observe the stranger.

"Let's goes Petal. Leaves him."
'Hush Fern,' Ladybird mentally responded. 'Just look at him. He looks like he could use a friend. He could be sick. Fern he could-'
"Be tryings to kills yous! Foolish Petal gettings us both killeds. Stupid woman!"

For a moment Ladybird frowned down at where the head was softly hissing near her wrist. 'You have no faith.'
"Ands you has too much trusts!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

RedBlade

Lummial almost jerked away from the woman when she reached out to touch him. Almost, but didn't. Instead he lay calm; something told him she was harmless. Maybe it was Shadowglow. The gentle brush against his cheek and restful hand now placed on his shoulder sent a wave of peace through him that he recognized, but couldn't quite remember from what or when. He had grown used to fear, but this stranger made anxiety seem futile and distant.

He cleared his throat of the burning acids that leapt from his stomach due to his sickness. "Uhm, here, as a matter of fact. I'm staying here." He focussed his glazed eyes upon the kind stranger's - his drunken state prevented him from making out the details, but he could tell, they were as warm as the woman's presence. "And, yes, you're right in what you say about my lack of rest."

A belch tried to force its way up his throat, but he swallowed it, remembering some of the etiquette of his past. That's when he heard the presence of another beast, coming from somewhere on this stranger's body. He couldn't be sure of the creature's nature; it must have had some sort of connection to this woman. A familiar, possibly.

Regardless, Lummial could sense the creature's distrust. It was a noticeable contrast to his visitor's friendliness.

Shadowglow also noticed the creature. Lummial knew this because the cat told him. The hostility bothered either of them little, however, due to this kind woman's welcoming presence. Was the woman's name Petal?

"Does your name happen to be Petal?" His fear of others nearly came back in the form of more vomit. He managed to keep it controlled. He knew he had to get out his fears if he wanted a place to sleep. Something to eat.

GoblinFae

The young woman startled slightly, her head snapping back some to stare at the man before her in both awe and curiosity. Slowly she replied, wary of his information and wondering if she was being scammed in sort of way.

"Aye, I am called Petal by some. Excuse me, but have we met? My memory is always quite foggy. I'm never very good with faces you see," she lied, hoping to shed some light on this stranger who she had literally stumbled upon.

Even as Fern hissed in her mind and her ear to move, to get to her feet and flee, still she remained. Ladybird was not one to run when she deemed someone in need and this poor soul certainly seemed down on his luck.

"Idiot girls. I hates yous."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

RedBlade

"We have not," Lummial answered her. He shifted himself with his shaking arms, sitting up straighter to look the woman in the eyes. She obviously didn't want to heed the hidden voice just yet. Why would she trust me? A stranger over, possibly, a familiar. I must look terrible.

He swept a hand over his face to take away some of the dirt and sweat. "I can hear something," he told her, shifting again out of anxiety. "Something's on you, and it doesn't like me...but you aren't running to the other side of this street. I hope this is a sign that you won't judge me so easily."

The tattered Lummial leaned forward slightly and smiled what he hoped looked as sincere as he felt. "I'm not as low as I look." Crimson eyebrows now pushed together, "Though, I am hungrier even than my gaunt appearance. Do you know where I could get something to eat, perhaps?" He paused. "For - uhm - free?"

GoblinFae

Slowly Ladybird's head tilted to the side like that of a bird trying to listen to the ground. "You hear him. You hear Fern?" Her left hand moved over her other wrist, covering and gently stroking her familiar's hiding place.

"Tolds yous not goods! Let's goes!"

Shaking her head imperceptibly, the young woman ignored the snake and instead reached inside her sleeve to pull the squirming reptile out. "Fern say something," she whispered, interjecting a caution of politeness as the creature moved to hiss something vile.

Fern sent a glare towards both the humans before quite vocally warning the stranger off from coming near his human. "Mines!" he finally declared as parting words while baring his tiny fangs.

Meanwhile Ladybird blushed in embarrassment at both Fern's and the man's words. "I never said you were, sir. I was taught better than to judge." Pausing for a moment to quiet the snake once more, she quickly came to a decision. "If...you come with me I know where you can eat Mister..."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]