Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Runner (Goblin, Zane)

Started by Ickedu, May 08, 2014, 02:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ickedu

It was the third day they laid in waiting. The air was cold and damp, a steady drizzle drenched their clothes to the bones. And the mood of the small group neared rock bottom. If there had not been the permanent thread of being expelled from the guild, some of the group certainly would have abandoned the assignment. But this was not an option, because every one of them knew that quitting the assignment would result in being expelled from the guild. And leaving the guild would result in death.

Kumiko was tired. It was her task to provide the concealment for the four people, but permanently maintaining her light magic to create the shadows that helped concealing her companions and herself drained Kumiko of her energy. And her companions also seemed to be at the end of their strength.

But their plans were too important to abandon it. Since they had learned about the message it had been clear that they had to intercept it. When it would reach its addressee, it could bode the end of their guild. But to catch the message, they had to manipulate the messenger into taking the path they wanted. It had cost a great effort, because the messenger was said to not only use the ordinary ways, but also the sewers, backyards, rooftops and any other passable and impassable parts of the town. They had to use the income of their protection rackets of the last six months to bribe the necessary people and hire enough additional help.

But now they were sure that the messenger had to pass the small alley at which they had set up their ambush. So the only thing left to do was to wait.

SajeW

((Character: http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=16898.new#new))

Cain stumbled down the alleyway singing an Adelan drinking song in a poor, rough voice. He was soaked to the bone from the rain but couldn't care less. He wore the garb of a wandering mercenary, a simple but sturdy looking longsword, a few knives, some military gear, and a sturdy leather pack but all in drab greys and browns to avoid displaying a nation's colors. In his left hand he held a flask which he took a deep swig from before clumsily tucking it away into one of his pockets. He paused for a moment to belch before finishing the song and collapsing in the alleyway.

For a moment he didn't move, but it was just a moment. He then abruptly stood and shook his head, cursing so crudely it would make many hardened men blush. He shook his head and rubbed rain into his face before huddling under a small overhang, finally taking heed of the chilling rain.

Ickedu

((This was actually not an open thread, but ok, now you're in, now you have to live with the consequences :P ;) *misses an 'evil' smiley*.
Goblin or myself will post later, depends on who is first. I don't have time right now. But now I am really curious to how this thread will advance, and if we can keep any of our plotted outcome ^^))

Ickedu

The small group that laid in hiding discussed the situation for a moment. This man surely didn't look like they had imagined the expected messenger. But he seemed to want to stay at least for a while, and this could endanger their whole plans. The quiet exchange of words lasted a few more moments, before it was decided that Kumiko should find out who the man was, what he wanted and if he would be a problem.

Kumiko adjusted the two swords on her back so that they would be completely covered by her cloak. Then, after ensuring that the concealment would persist, Kumiko left their hiding place and walked along the alleyway. She drew her cloak tighter to her and looked around seemingly anxious. When she came near the man, she first appeared to just walk past him, but then turned to him startled as if she had noticed him just now.

First she hesitated for a moment and looked at him kind of frightened, but then she addressed him carefully: "Oh, hello there, good man. I hardly didn't notice you."
She looked around like searching for something. "Sorry, but... do you maybe know, where exactly I am? I think I am lost a bit. I seem to have taken a wrong turn somewhere."

SajeW

((Oh wow, I'm sorry. If you feel like I'm throwing things off at all please let me know and I'll go away.))

Cain blinked and looked at the seemingly defenseless girl lost in the rain. He stood and cleared his throat before speaking in a Connlaothian accent that didn't seem quite right. "Well Lass, I'll tell you the truth. I don't have a clear understanding of where I'm at either..." He paused for a moment to scratch his beard before jerking a thumb northward. "That way's north. That'll be toward the Market." He casually rested his hand on his sword and leaned forward a bit, taking a close look at the girl. "I'll be damned, you look like you are about to knock over!" he exclaimed loudly. With a smooth, practiced motion he pulled free his spare oil-skin cloth and tossed it to her. "Waterproof that is." he said, ending it with a grunt as if he just stopped caring altogether now that the good deed was done.

Ickedu

((you can do what you like, stay if you feel like it ^^. But Kumiko for the moment will try to get rid of Cain to not endanger their planned ambush on the messenger they are waiting for))

When the man tossed Kumiko the cloth, she caught it easily and casually, without taking her eyes from the man himself.
"I thank you, may the spirits requite you."

Her demeanor suddenly seemed to become more confident. She put the cloth over her cloak and held it closed with one hand but did not fasten it for the moment.
"If the market is that way, north as you say, maybe you should go south and find shelter from the rain in a tavern or something similar."

GoblinFae

North or South made no difference to Jypsei Danzer as she was headed East and unfortunately straight towards the the slightly detained ambush meant for her and her abandoned partner. She had managed to give Scipio the slip when she had asked to relieve herself and had been laughing to herself the whole time she was escaping him.

'Serves you right for always nattering on and on about a Runner's duties. I'll show you what it means to be a good Runner! I'll have my half delivered long before you've even managed to show up, fool!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Ickedu

Right when Kumiko thought about whether she should further deal with the mercenary or if they could cope with him in the area of the planned ambush, the decision was made for her. She could hear the distant call of a small owl, which was repeated a moment later. It was no unusual sound in Adela and even in Ketra itself, but in this case Kumiko recognized it as a signal from one of her allies. The anticipated messenger was approaching.

For a moment Kumiko hesitated and wondered if she should hurry to their ambush, but then she decided to continue playing her role. So she slowly continued to stroll down the alley, tugging her coat and the new cloth tightly to her body to protect herself against the penetrating rain and looked around anxiously.

When she finally saw the figure of the messenger approaching, she continued walking into the direction of her target, but very near to the side of the narrow alley, as if she didn't want to be in the way and pretending to just walk by at first. Kumiko timed her presumable meeting with the target in a way, that the messenger should be between herself and the laid ambush when they finally met.

Not till she was only a few steps away from the messenger, she hesitated and watched the other person with caution. "I'm sorry, but... may the spirits be with you... could you maybe help me?"

GoblinFae

Jypsei saw the figure approaching and had been moving to make a wide circle around them when the woman called out to her. Her eyes darted calculatingly back and forth between the figure and the road ahead before coming to a slower jog, refusing to stop even as she called back.

"What you need?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]