Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Return for Resupply

Started by Anonymous, December 27, 2011, 02:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

He spent a moment watching the catfight between the two women, but immediately acted when he sensed the jangle of wrongness wrapping Zurna's limbs, coming from the other woman. He strode closer, ditching his backpack quickly. His appearance seemed to shift; though he didn't change features at all, he seemed taller and more forbidding, an aura of anger around him.

Reaching out, one of his hands starts to try to pry Sonia's away from Zurna's neck, while with the other, he slaps Sonia across the face, hard. "That is a disgusting use of power, and you should be ashamed of yourself." His green eyes, while still deep, are filled with fury. "I wasn't going to interfere, but then you disturbed the natural progression of things."

GoblinFae

Sonia's grasp, both physical and magical, released on Zurna in surprise at being struck. Gasping and sputtering Zurna crab-walked away from Sonia. She clutched her throat as white pain coursed through her, arresting her breath.

Her chest heaved as she tried to breathe. After a few stressing seconds, her body cooperated allowing her to function once again. The pain did not recede and when she tried to thank Brynmor she found herself entertaining more pain. Tears flooded her eyes as she stood and faced Sonia. Her stance placed her protectively in front of Brynmor despite it being him who had helped her.

The act of speech may have been excruciating for her but she had a few choice words for Sonia.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Anonymous

When the wrongness eased, so too did the grip both his hands had on the girls, and he took a step back. Still standing tall, fury radiating outwards. He watched as Zurna moved in front of him again, tearfully, nursing her throat. Maybe, a hundred years ago, he would have moved to help her, but he had long since learned both of womankind's strength in painful situations, and of the balance that held all things, how violence was naturally followed by pain, and attempts to avert it usually ended in disaster for those involved.

GoblinFae

"You are foul. You are a spoiled little brat pretending to be a princess, who if she doesn't get her way throws a temper tantrum. Do you realize what you have done? You could've killed me and I wouldn't put it past you to believe that that was your intention. Do you forget who I am? I am the sister of your husband. The man you swore to love and work beside! Beside, Sonia. You do nothing for this family but bring it grief. You knew we had no money, that we were simple and yet you chose Yotar as your life companion. You may not like it Sonia but, I am the stand-in matriarch of this family. What I say goes unless unsupported by my parents," her voiced cracked as tears continued to stream down her face.

Looking around her she saw her entire family was gathered around listening, waiting for her judgement. Despite the pain she gave her ultimatum. "This is you last chance. Decide carefully Sonia, do you want to be a part of this family or do you want to be apart from this family? Leave and you will not have your daughters or our support. You will be cast out and abandoned. Stay, and you will work with this family. You will do the tasks we do. You will learn and learn properly what you do not know. You will apologize to my parents for your ways. You will not stop your childish temper trantrums and behave as the adult you claim to be. Is that understood" Zurna asked her voice finally giving out.

Sonia looked around at those gathered before her eyes settled behind Zurna. "How can you trust that thing? He is dangerous!" she screeched.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Anonymous

Brynmor stood quietly through the lecture, fading back to his usual self, the old man with white hair and knobby joints, the air of authority mostly absent. He let the tirade run its course, and faded into the background as much as was possible being that he was an accessory to the incident, and standing in the families field of view, behind their matriarch.

When the overwrought woman looked at him and screamed again, he merely raised his brow, crossing his arms, and looked as much like a harmless old man as he could, just after slapping the woman across the face in full rage mode.

Anonymous

GoblinFae

"Enough Sonia!" Zurna's mother Minali called out. "Have you not done enough with your accusations and actions? You have injured my daughter, the child that I prayed desperately to the gods for! Do you think I will just let you get away with it because you are married to my youngest son? No. Zurna is right, you must make a decision. You will have three days of solitude to decide. Now get out of our sight!" The older woman commanded it her voice all the while sounding sweet and motherly despite her words and the anger showing on her weathered face. Humiliated, Sonia fled with tears in her eyes.

"Go inside Zurna. I will make you some tea with honey for your throat No protesting!" she added as Zurna opened her mouth. "You did well daughter, you bring us all honor," she reassured. Zurna bowed her head before moving to beckon Brynmor to follow. Minali stopped her. "I have some things I wish to discuss with the man that saved my sea-daughter's life." Sparing one last look for Brynmor, Zurna nodded her head and went inside.

The rest of the family began to disperse going about their business. Many of the men could be seen entering the larger main tent, checking on their youngest sibling, reassuring themselves that the child who had brought their family joy was going to be okay.

"I do not think in my near hundred years of life I have ever been grateful to another person than I am to you today sir," she said addressing Brynmor. "Zurna is my little girl. She means more to me, to us than anything else. I feared we were going to lose her today." Tears formed in the older woman's eyes as the severity of what almost happened impacted her. "Sonia is not usually this way. She and Zurna have always fought. I do not what caused this escalate into such violence. Perhaps it was my seemingly indulgence. I believed if we ignored it, then it would pass. It seems  I am wrong. Thanks to your help I think that Sonia will now realize her mistakes and will end this foolishness." Taking Brynmor's hands in her own she kissed the back of each. "Thank you. Thank you for preserving my little one's life, as I could not."

Smiling she continued, "I think we best get inside. It really is too cold to be out here when there is a warm fire and a hot meal inside. Will you join me, Mr...?" Minali queried with a motherly smile once more gracing her features.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

Brynmor continued to watch the final moments of the confrontation, and afterwards, the older woman taking charge, telling his guide to go inside, dismissing the evil woman, and then her approach on him. He listened, patient and interested, through her talk of her youngest child, her only daughter, and how his intervention may have helped them. He did not reply with how, if Zurna had died without the application of magic, he would not have moved to help. He did not tell her that in essence, Sonia's use of power had saved Zurna's life. He knew when to speak and when not to.

The old woman took both of his hands in hers and kissed the backs of them, then invited him inside, promting him for his name. "My only name is Brynmor, child" he said gently, wiping the tears from the woman's cheeks with one of his hands, after gently pulling it free of her grasp. "I would gladly enter your home and enjoy your fire."

GoblinFae

"Child?" Minali laughed. "Should it not be I calling you child? You cannot be much older than my eldest son!" Still laughing Minali led Brynmor into the warm tent. Inside the brothers each in their own way checked on their sister. Some like the triplets were trying to make her laugh while others placed their hands on her head and arms, reassuring themselves that she was really there and alright.

Zurna sat on a cot by the fire looking sad and tired as the twins bounced around on her lap. "Out! Boys you have chores to be doing if you want dinner tonight," Minali chastised them. As the boys left Zurna reached forward smacking one on the leg smiling at his mock offended look. "Zurna leave your brother alone and drink this." Zurna nodded taking the bowl of steaming liquid from her mother. When her back was turned Zurna grimaced and made faces as she drank the vile concoction.

"How would you like us to start Brynmor? What information would be best given first?" Zurna croaked.
Minali turned at glared. "No more talking until you have finished that. All of it!" Zurna winced but obeyed.

The twins bounced over from their spot on Zurna's cot to Brynmor. Surprisingly, it was Aliyah who reached him first. Crying she hugged him around the middle. "I thought mama was going to hurt you. She was bad, really really bad. But Aunt Z put her in time out so it's okay now."
"Come on Aliyah," Cara called pulling on her wrap. "Let's go find the carvings mama threw. I bet I can find them before you!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

He let the woman laugh, grinning inside, glad he still looked like a spry young lad of 60, and followed her into the tent, watching the ordered choas of so many bodies moving around at once. Zurna attempted to begin the conversation thay had originally come here for, but was immediately shushed and ordered to drink and get well by her mother.

When Aliyah hugged him, he was surprised, but laughed inside a little bit at the little girl's description of what had happened to her mother. He called out to Cara before she could finish getting her wrap on, and said "Wait Cara, come here to me and Aliyah. I have something to show you."

When she did so, he reached into his pockets and pulled out both figurines. "Look what I found, out in the snow!"

GoblinFae

Cara turned around and gave an excited squeal as she saw the carvings "You found them!" Together the girls jumped around screaming and shouting. Together the twins ran about the tent showing everyone their precious gifts before finally being shooed outside to go play.

Zurna stood up still holding the bowl and headed over to Brynmor. She pointed to a set of elevated furs indicating Brynmor should sit down. Checking to see if her mother was watching, Zurna dumped the medicine into the fire, diving when it flared up in a column of fire.

"Zurna!" Minali barked.
Zurna just laughed before re-asking Brynmor her previous questions. Her voice while not nonexistent was still crackly sounding. It was obvious it still pained her to swallow and to open her mouth wide but she was being stubborn. 'I made an offer and I am going to stick it come near death experiences or the world's end.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

He could do nothing but chuckle helplessly as the small children ran screaming around the tent, and could do nothing but continue to chuckle at the interplay between Zurna and her mother, nearly laughing outright when she dumped the medicine into the fire. He then had to stifle another chuckle at Zurna's stubbornness, lest it be mistaken for a chuckle at her pain.

"To begin with, I would like to know of all of the people who were born or died in the last year, no matter whether their births or deaths seemed natural or not. If your mother objects to your speaking too much, and is not very busy, she can assist you."

GoblinFae

"You will most certainly not!" Minali growled waving a wooden spoon at her daughter menacingly. Zurna just raised her brow in challenge and began to iterate a long list of the new births and deaths. Occasionally, Minali and others that came in and out of the tent would add this or that name to the lists.

It seemed that Brynmor's presence had created quite a stir. Many of members of the family made this excuse and that just to pop their heads in and catch a glimpse of him. By the time Zurna finally finished the list, her throat was very sore again, her voice barely audible. The sun was setting and dinner was being served. The twins were back in the tent and began to chatter about their day to any that would listen. They had both insisted that Brynmor stay and eat with the family, which Minali and Trafford both seconded.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

He listened to their lists as they talked, and talked, for a lengthy period of time, many people helping. He nodded to himself from time to time, mentally noting people he may want to explore more information on at a later date, but mostly he just sat and listened intently, for his memory often had holes in it, and he would have to try hard, to make sure no such holes occurred in this particular memory until much later, when it became no longer useful.

Acceeding to the demands of the children first, the adults second, it was determined that Brynmor would stay for the family dinner, which Brynmor was sure would be one of the most chaotic family meals he had ever had the fortune to be a part of, assuming that all of the brothers would be involved. This was notwithstanding the fact that the majority of them were well into adulthood.

GoblinFae

Dinner was always an organized yet chaotic affair. It would have to be when the hearth welcomed such a large family. The wives laughed and joked with each other as they passed around the food. The children bounced around and were scolded for their efforts as the mothers corralled them out of the way. To Zurna it was a normal affair. She kept the children occupied and out of trouble as much as she could. Occasionally, she would swipe a bit of this or a bit of that from the plates and share it amongst the little ones. The elders would catch her and tell her off saying she would spoil the children's appetites but then purposely leave more tidbits for the taking.

The tent was large enough to house them all and then some. When it was at last time to eat they each sat in an orderly manner around the fire. A took a few moments for the children to settle, as all insisted in sitting in Zurna's lap. She looked like a massive pile of limbs and giggling little heads by the time they all settled down.

The tent then became very quiet as all looked to Zurna. Even the youngest child stopped her giggling and waited. Zurna began to softly croon a prayer of thanks to the hearth and to the manaia. When she was finished she cast into the flames the finest morsel of food on her plate before helping the little ones to do the same. Every member of the family, young and old alike, did the same. When the ritual was over the family became lively once more.

Zurna sat feeding the younger ones as she also ate. "Why do you need to observe the balance of life and death Brynmor?" she asked. "What purpose is there for that? What even is the balance?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

As expected, the dinner was ordered chaos, much more going on at once than he could possibly keep track of, so he had just sat and let it all wash over him like background music, the music of life. The family observed their rituals while he sat silently, watching with some level of detachment their dedication of food to the flames.

Eating slowly and carefully some of the food prepared by the wives of the many menfolk of the family, he repied to Zurna's queries, watching with interest how she managed to feed herself, several of the youngsters, and talk to him all at the same time. "The balance is the presence of life and death, without equal measures of both, the world would descend into a kind of chaos, where either things lived much longer than they should, or things died well before their time." He Decided not to address the issue of early deaths in a company so full of life, and instead went on to say "Imagine a world where the fish you caught out on your boat could not die from lack of water. If they just flopped around in the bottom of the craft until you chopped them up, and even then their fins kept flapping."

He left that image there for a few moments before continuing "I have been charged with ensuring that such a thing does not happen in this northerly section of our land, and if it does, to stem the tide as best I can until help can arrive from my brothers and sisters to the south."

GoblinFae

"Do you find reason for such concern? I ask out of curiosity not fright. I have confidence that things will run their courses as they are meant to. Things going wrong is just a life lesson. But should such a thing happen, how long could you hold it off for? I am sure it would take some time before your brothers and sisters could come to your assistance in such a situation, could you stem the flow that long?"

Zurna froze, realizing how rude she was being. "Forgive me, I overstep my bounds. I disrespect my elder by asking you so many questions. Is there any way I and my family may be of more assistance to you?" she asked her cheeks still on fire due to her embarrassment.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

Having listened to enough youth in his time to gather a supply of patience larger than was probably evident, given his previous episode in the settlement, rather than getting angry, he just sat and listened to her questions, even as they grew more and more invasive. When she broke off and began to apologize, he smiled briefly at her dicomfiture and replied fairly simply.

"As earlier, just telling me how things have been here in my absence is plently enough. If you wished to do more than that, the best way would be to venture to the druidic homeland and apprentice yourself there, though I do not know how welcome a suggestion that would be to the matriarch of such a respectable family, so far away."

GoblinFae

Zurna opened her mouth to respond but, was cut off by her mother. "You are right in that assumption. It is not a welcome suggestion," the elderly woman stated. The family matriarch moved up behind her only daughter and placed her hands on the young woman's shoulders as if to protect her from being stolen away.

"Mother, really now! You don't have to act like he is going to up and steal me away." Zurna brushed off her mother's hands and once more focused on Brynmor. "My duties unfortunately require me here. I take care of the young and old in the family, keep the hearth going, watch over the young wives until it is my own time to become one. None of that is likely to happen if I am studying to be an apprentice."

She shrugged her shoulders resignedly. "Besides, I wouldn't make a good apprentice anyway. I'm stubborn and willful, not to mention I can't read. I wouldn't be any good or help to your people. I think it better that I stay here and try to fulfill those responsibilities first before I go trying to add more things to my plate."

A soft albeit somewhat regretful smile played at Zurna's lips as she thought of her own situation. It quickly brightened though as she looked up to Brynmor once more. "Will you be staying the night Brynmor? Or do you need to travel on immediately. You saved my life, I think we owe you that much."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]