Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bending Fate [M] [Goblin]

Started by Juno, March 05, 2012, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Once she'd left him Akakios stood in the same spot just staring at the door in a haze. He listened to her walking away until he could hear her no longer as his mind screamed at him to chase her down and take what he truly wanted.

Perhaps it had been her calm demeanor or the way she had attempted to soothe him, but he knew it would have been too much to steal from her again so soon. It was the right thing to do and yet he tortured himself for it.

The vampire paced about his office restlessly, keeping an ear out in the event that she decided to return to him after all. When she didn't, though, he finally forced himself to go retake his seat and resume his work as if he'd never had the disruption at all.

He kept himself there reading and working, trying to clear his mind of the fog that could only tell him to seek her out and feed.

Toren was startled by her voice but was happy to hear it. It meant she'd survived her visit, at least. Her words of praise made him blush a bit. It wasn't often that he received even a small kindness like that.

"Oh, it's nothing," he dismissed. He wasn't surprised by his master's decision at all, though he wished he'd been able to get it for her and not have her going to him herself as she had. It worried him to feel like he was endangering someone who simply didn't understand how aggressive his master could be when he was crazed.

"I figured as much, I'll round up some of the younger ones to finish this," he promised with a slight bow of his head. "Don't worry, it's what I'm here for. Is there anything else I can assist you with? Please don't think of it as troublesome to speak up if you need my help, Petal. I'll find out eventually," he teased her.

GoblinFae

Ladybird laughed and shook her head. "I'll always need your help, Toren. That's what friends are for after all. Seriously though you are doing quite well and I am extremely grateful for all that you are doing to help me. It means so much to me to have someone to rely on," she told him with a warming smile.

She reached forward for the tools in his hands. "If you get the help now I can take over until you get back and help with setting them up before setting them loose." Remembering Akakios' reaction to her though, Ladybird gently placed a hand on Toren's bicep to gain his attention more fully. Then, in a lower voice she warned him, "I suggest avoiding him for now. He does not seem to be overly fond of the scent of the tea and it would probably be best not to make him more grumpy than he already is," she added while rolling her eyes slightly to show how silly she had found the nobleman's behavior.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Toren was very pleased to hear her praises, simple as they were. It warmed his heart to know she genuinely appreciated him and his efforts. Truthfully he didn't think he would ever tire of anything she asked if she remained the same in her attitude towards him as a slave of the house.

He let her have the tools without complaint, nodding in agreement with her plan. As he turned to leave, though, her warning had the smile leaving his face. If she'd seen his master and merely described him as grumpy he suspected she had been through much worse.

"I'm very sorry, Petal, I really should have gone to him instead of you. I know he can be quite insufferable when he's...'grumpy,'" he apologized, sighing and shaking his head. "Thank you, I hope he's not roaming about but I'll keep an eye out anyway. I'll just be a few minutes, I promise. Don't work too hard," he bid her kindly, finally turning to re-enter the house.

He was quick to make his way to the servants' quarters and pluck two of the younger men from their idle game of cards. He would have fetched a third but he felt himself capable enough to assist in her work. His days were usually spent at his master's side and for both his own reasons and Petal's he did not wish to see him very much if he could help it, at least until he was more himself again.

"Petal!" he called to her once he'd returned to the garden. "This is Thomas and James," he introduced, pointing to each as he named them. They were clearly ogling at the new young lady, having never seen her, but Toren was quick to shoot them a stern glare. "And this is Miss Hornwort. She is a very important guest to our master. It would be in your best interest to be on your best behavior and do as she instructs you," he warned, hoping they could be civil and not embarrass him. "I'm sure our Lord will be pleased if you do well for her," he added, hoping it might be enough encouragement for them to take things seriously, though he had little faith given they were about ten years his junior.

"Hello, Miss," James greeted, waving with feigned shyness and a giggle even as Thomas elbowed him lightly for it.

"What will you be needing from us?" Thomas asked more directly, praying and hoping they could return to their games soon.

GoblinFae

Ladybird brushed aside his apologies concerning Akakios. In her eyes no wrong had been committed and she was glad it had been her and not Toren. 'At least," she thought to herself, 'as a free citizen I have the right to walk away from him unlike Toren. It is the least protection I can give for all the goodness he has shown me in this short and odd time.'

By the time Toren returned, Ladybird had already doubled the area Toren had been working in although there was still much that needed doing. Her familiarity with the task from years of working with her father had made the work rather simple for her though she was grateful for her friend's return. Ladybird was already starting to feel exhausted much to her great disappointment.

She nevertheless greeted the newcomers with a bright smile as she repeated their names. "It is a pleasure to meet you both gentlemen. You can just call me Petal, everyone else does. I'm going to be needing your help with digging up the soil bit by bit. I hope you can forgive me I know it is rather boring work but with your help I'm hoping we can get the first layer done before noon when it gets too hot to work. Then, after lunch depending on the condition of the deeper soil I can assess if we need to dig deeper. I certainly hope that isn't the case though."

The woman motioned to the tools Toren had taken out earlier. "If you both take a shovel Toren and I can show you want to do. We don't want to dig too deep if we don't have to you see. We're just taking some of the surface off to loosen up the ground for planting. Shall we get started then?" She handed the shovel back to Toren with a wink before moving to help demonstrate what she wanted done.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

The young men seemed a bit hesitant, casting quick glances to each other at the thought of doing work under her command for the better part of the day. "And Master approves of this?" Thomas asked hesitantly, giving Toren a skeptical glare that was answered with a stubborn wall from the favored slave.

"Yes. He does. In fact, he entrusted every bit of this work and direction to her, so please show some respect," he warned them. James was quick to avert his eyes respectfully, nodding and moving to take up a shovel as instructed. Thomas held out a bit longer but eventually moved as well, not wishing to earn Toren's ire nor his master's.

"If you say so," he muttered, taking up a shovel with uneasy hands. Neither of the boys had ever done much with them.

Toren happily took what she held out to him, shooting her an apologetic smile for the sass she'd had to witness. "It's quite easy," he assured them, demonstrating his own method slowly so that that might watch and take note of how he worked. "But perhaps Petal can show you better. Might take some getting used to, but I promise we won't work you too hard."

GoblinFae

She pretended to ignore Thomas' sass as she fiddled with picking a shovel for herself. As they all returned to work, Ladybird offered praises readily, thanking and encouraging each of the men with genuine warmth. Noticing Thomas struggle though to some persistent dead roots in the area where he was working, she stopped what she was doing and went over to him.

"May I?" she offered, reaching towards his arms while gently asking permission to touch him. "If you adjust your grip it can help take the strain off your shoulders and back. I really cannot thank you enough for your help today. You have no idea how much the help from all three of you is saving me. I'm forever grateful."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

The men worked easily enough once she had taught them the basics. Toren kept an eye on the younger ones, working a bit slower than the rest as his shoulder still pained him quite a lot despite her tea. He watched as Thomas startled at her kindness and gentle hands as she corrected him, the boy clearly mesmerized at the stark contrast between her and their master who often took to immediate violence if something was not done in the proper way, as he saw it.

The boy blushed, feeling guilty for the attitude he'd given her when she was being so thankful. He was sure he'd never received such praises in all his life, and especially not from a lady. "Thank you, ma'am," he mumbled, adjusting his posture as she'd guided him to do.

"No need, lady, just doing our duty," James assured her.

"It's what he keeps us for, among other things of course," Toren explained, though he thought enough to spare her the details among mixed company. They were certainly slaves bound to their master, but they received no monetary pay for their efforts. Board, clothing, food, and the occasional treat when their master was feeling generous, but unless they had family on the outside to help none of them would ever have the option to buy their freedom. Akakios operated on a vague credit system for years of service rendered, but Toren knew quite well that it only seemed a distraction to keep the morale of his staff.

GoblinFae

"Ack," she cried in mock-disgust. "None of this ma'am and lady. It's Petal and if I hear anything else from this point forward I'll wrestle you down into the dirt. Don't think I won't either," she teased with a stern look that was quickly ruined by her brilliant smile and the wink she sent their way.

Ladybird paused for a moment as she decided whether or not it would be wise to say what was on her mind. She soon raised her chin though with determination. "Just because it is your duty as we all have those, does not mean it is any less appreciated or that it goes unrecognized. I dare any of you to say otherwise although I warn you I'll tussle with you as good as any other boy.

"Now then, if we continue at the rate we're going we may be done even sooner than I had expected which would be excellent. We could break early for lunch even, wouldn't that be nice?" Ladybird was cheerful and upbeat yet it was obvious to herself if not to the others that she was flagging. Her body ached terribly and the effort to lift the shovel was killing her. Her throat felt like it was on fire where Akakios had bit her and she was out of breath far too easily. She nevertheless did her best to hide how the exertion of her efforts was affecting her. The woman was determined to show she could work beside the men just as hard.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Toren couldn't help but smile to see her chastising the boys so freely, and their wide-eyed looks of helpless confusion certainly were worth their momentary discomfort. It was a moment to forget his pain, to laugh as he watched them scramble to correct themselves.

"Sorry!" James pleaded, his eyes panicked as he feared not only punishment from his master but some unknown woman besting him in a bit of roughhousing. Truly he was too fearful of finding out if she could hold her own because it meant gambling that she couldn't. If he lost he would surely be the butt of endless jokes.

Thomas was wary and quiet as he watched James, surprised he seemed genuinely worried about what the small woman could manage. "I'll do you the honor of not dirtying your clothes Mi- ...Petal," he mumbled, turning his head away sharply as he and James got back to work at a feverish pace if only to avoid her. "And...lunch would be good," he admitted.

Toren was as much relieved as amused, the older man taking it as a signal for himself and Petal to take it a bit easier if the boys were willing to work for her. "I'm sorry about them," he snickered, though he was certainly more proud than sorry. "I suppose I chose correctly, hm?"

The slave studied her, thinking she looked a bit pale still but not quite picking up how much she was suffering. He resumed his slow work and kept a closer eye on her. He hoped that getting the job done soon might let her relax enough to rest properly. "Don't push too hard," he reminded her gently.

GoblinFae

Ladybird giggled at James reaction but rose a mischievous brow at Thomas' slip. Unable to help herself, she scooped up a small clump of dirt when he was not looking and gently tossed it at his leg. "I heard that slip," she teased, bursting into more giggles for her own childishness. "And you needn't apologize Toren, you chose a lovely pair of very helpful young men. I could not ask for better." She quickly waved away his worries though, cursing herself for being weak in front of him and making him worry. "I'm fine," she insisted, gripping her shovel tighter while resting against it so she did not fall over. "How are you though? Still feeling under the weather?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Her playfulness had only earned her a warning glare from Thomas, the boy harmless but not wanting her to make a habit at throwing things at him even if it was harmless. They left them to talk, though, knowing that the faster they got the work done the faster they could return to their lounging.

Toren watched the way she leaned against the shovel critically, certain she had gone too far and already hurt herself and was only trying to save face now. "A little, but I'll be alright. I hope you understand my master will have my hide if you're harmed under my watch," he warned her. "Perhaps you should rest and let us finish this," he suggested nervously, casting a glance to the door across the yard.

GoblinFae

"I don't want to be the only one not working, Toren. It's unfair to the rest of you who are working so hard on my behalf. I'm not a slacker and I won't laze about on the job while the rest of you plug along. What would Akakios think of me if I didn't work? I would not wish to face his disappointment."

She smiled thankfully at him and reached out to pat his shoulder. "You just don't overdo it. I promise if I need rest I'll take it. I just am excited about this and wish to see it through. As it is it looks like we may have to dig another layer after lunch. Do you know how long it has been since this courtyard was taken care of? The soil is looking very drained."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"He might see you as a lady, which is honestly not a terrible thing considering you are one," Toren grumbled, his words not unkind. "The women here are rarely expected to do much physical labor," he added in explanation.

"The yard, though..." Toren looked around, trying to remember if he could recall any true groundskeeper ever caring for the lands of the estate. "Probably several years, I don't know that I've seen anyone tend to it in my lifetime, honestly," he admitted, hoping that she would not be punished for the topsoil being poor. "We can take care of that, though, you should probably be resting," he urged her, unable to resist his desire to protect his friend and minimize her hardship.

GoblinFae

"Pfft," Ladybird scoffed before making a raspberry. "Where's the fun in being a lady when all ladies do is be stiff and boring? That's certainly not the life for me." She smiled cheerily even as she shook her head. "No matter about the yard though. It just needs a little help and it will be well enough eventually. It's quite common actually from too much planting or disuse. There are others who know more about it actually which is actually a good point," she mused allowed. "I believe I will have to speak with Akakios about bringing in a second opinion I believe. If my suspicious are correct then it would be best to plant the right things in order to replace the lost soil nutrients. Yes, I think I may do that," she said with a nod and a smile.

"As for resting," the woman added pointing a teasing finger in his direction, "don't think I managed to sidetrack myself away from that. I'll rest after lunch when the sun is too bright for me. If you're well enough to work then I don't see how I wouldn't be. I do this for a living after all. James and Thomas how are you both holding up?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Toren could only shake his head, knowing in his heart she would choose what she wanted as he quietly wished she might choose the easier path.

The idea of a second opinion didn't seem like the land was very promising, in his eyes. The slave smiled apologetically despite it not being his fault in the least. "A second opinion? Sounds quite serious when you say things like that. You would save a lost cause because of it, I'll bet. I'm sorry he gave you such a...challenge in all this," he apologized, though he flinched at her determination to stay working so long as he was. In reality, all he wanted was to curl up indoors in the cold and dark.

"Fair enough," he conceded, turning to continue his area of the work as he looked ahead to the pair of younger men.

"Fine!" James chirped.

"Good, I guess," Thomas had spoken at the same time, lifting his head and wiping his brow of sweat before continuing on in the rhythm he'd fallen into.

"I'll get back to work," Toren chimed in, though it was difficult for him to hide the tiredness from his voice to sound as chipper as the boys. After having paused in his efforts, though, a flash of white blinded his vision as he tried to continue on, the sudden pain stabbing into his back leaving him unable to hide for a few moments. His lips twisted into a grimace and he only barely stifled a cry that left him quivering for a moment instead.

The shovel was stuck firmly into the ground again as he leaned upon it to catch his breath and let the pain subside. A shiver of disgust ran through him as his tense shoulder reminded him all over again of the searing pain of the vampire's fangs and the cruel venom that still poisoned his body. The tea, while soothing and tasteful, had not rid his body of the toxin.

He did not and could not burden Petal with it, though, the slave hanging his head in shame as he waited for it all to dull down. Pain was nuisance and nuisance was worthless when it came to their work.

When it finally did he pulled the blade from the earth and resumed his work in silence as though it had never happened at all. Blanched skin and tired, slightly dazed eyes were the only remaining signs.

GoblinFae

She smiled at the pair of young men, bobbing her head in acknowledgement but otherwise allowing them to work without her distracting them further. If she had not turned to look back at Toren, Ladybird never would have seen the pained look on his face or the way he turned visibly pale and still. For several moments she fought with herself to rush to his side and find out what was wrong or to find another way that would not shame him in front of the other men.

With slightly pursed lips, the young woman softly called out to him before waving him over once she had his attention. "Toren, I need your assistance I'm afraid." As soon as she said it, Ladybird realized just how true it was. Her intention had been to have him escort her inside on the pretense that she had overdone it outside. However, now that she took the moment to pause, the exhaustion hit her like a runaway carriage and she momentarily swayed before catching herself. It seemed they both would be needing a rest now.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

At the sound of her voice Toren knew he'd been caught. Fearful eyes lifted to look out to her, a pitiful begging within them for her to not speak of his weakness with others so near. It was no secret in the house what Toren was to Akakios, but he didn't like to be seen as less capable for it as he often simply was. When he saw her falter, though, his face softened a bit as he bit back the pain so that he might go to her. He could only assume she felt as bad as he did and needed a break.

Setting the tool aside he held out his arms to her and lifted his chin towards the door. "We'll be just a little while, Thomas. James," he nodded to each, smiling for her benefit as convincingly as he could. "Please finish this and feel free to take a break if we do not return before then. I'll fetch you for the afternoon," he explained, though he was in quite a hurry to be indoors again. His body ached to simply lie down for a few moments.

GoblinFae

"Thank you," she whispered once they were indoors and out of earshot. "I know that was a rat move on my part but we both had face to save. We're certainly a pair aren't we?" Ladybird let out a mirthless chuckle while fighting to not lean heavily on Toren. She knew if he had been bitten like she had then he would be feeling just as horribly, probably worse as it was most likely that he had been bitten after she had and therefore was suffering fresher pain than she was. "Will you be allowed to rest at all?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"I wouldn't dare call us a pair in this house, Petal," he chuckled, his smile pained though he really was trying for her benefit. "But certainly privately, if you'll keep it that way. As for rest... My master cannot be unhappy with me if he does not know, can he? If you'll keep my secret, I pray he might not be enraged by my slacking." The slave sighed, feeling awful for relying so heavily upon her. It was just so easy with her natural kindness and warmth to be at ease with her.

"I won't dare try it, though, I'm afraid. Far too great a risk when this work in nearly complete. If I could just sit down a moment to catch my breath I think I can carry on with it," he offered, already moving to head towards a pair of nearby chairs in a small sitting area off the hall that were angled towards the windows to the courtyard. In reality, they were beloved by his vampire lord. When the grounds had been lively and well kept in many years' past it had been a favored spot of a past lover for morning tea.

GoblinFae

Ladybird kept silent as she listened and observed. When he moved to escort her to the seats, she placed a hand on his forearm. "Toren is it possible we can have lunch brought to us and you escort me upstairs? I'm afraid I'm taking a bit of a turn for the worst," she requested, stretching the truth slightly. While it was true that she felt simply dreadful she was not nearly as bad off as she claimed. "If it is not too much to ask would you also mind staying with me just in case I worsen further? I'd feel more comfortable if it was you rather than another servant. I trust you to handle the situation with calm should it be necessary."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]