Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In the Shadow, In the Light (M)

Started by Lion, March 16, 2012, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"I know this is moving really fast for you.  It's moving fast for me too.  But you have more experience in all this.  I guess, I was just an excited pup for us to get a move on.  I should have taken it more into consideration the reasons you left that life behind.  You were unwanted, and yet here you are again coming back into a world you thought you escaped," Jerec replied, hoping she knew he understand.

"In a way, I left it too.  I know of family life, and love, and hate and pain.  And loss too.  I thought I put that behind me.  But I guess you can't get away from your past.  It's not like a predator.  You can't just run away."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

Ariel shook her head and snorted softly. "No you really can't. It's always there a half step behind to remind you of all your failures and all the pain. Don't worry about me pup," she jested with a wink. "I'll be alright. Just a bitter little human hiding from a child's memory. "

A pat on his back and her hands were sliding away from him though one tentatively slid down an arm to shyly take his in her own. She squeezed tightly before lifting her chin determinedly and giving him a tug forward. "We'll make it...somehow."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

With her newfound determination, Jerec felt a warm feeling spreading through his stomach and he found himself smiling at her.  Perhaps it was all for him, for he knew what she was truly giving up and it was not without great reluctance.  She was sacrificing her freedom to come along with him and Jerec mulled over that thought for a moment.

He looked at her hand and squeezed it in his own before walking back along with her.  "Thank you," he found himself whispering, though it came out as a whisper, barely above the breath of the wind.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

She thought she heard him say something but shook it off as the wind and trod onwards. Eventually she could see the clearing that would lead out to the road and from there civilization. Still clinging to his hand, Ariel squeezed it tighter than ever while stepping out on onto the road, her eyes darting about suspiciously as if some evil foe was going to suddenly tear down the road after them.

"Hear anything?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

Jerec had the same initial hesitation she did and paused like an animal listening for a predator.  His hearing was likely sharper than  hers and he waited beside a bush, half-crouched, listening for a few long seconds.  "Nope.  Nothing," he said with a smile and was the first to step out onto the road. 

The feeling of cobbled stone under his feet felt so foreign to him that he had trouble walking on it.  The stones were sparse as the road was poorly maintained and the rest was largely dirt and caked mud along the side.  He felt as if he were stepping into another world, literally, standing upright, like thousands of other travelers that came before him and the millions more that would follow after.

Jerec held his breath, peering up at the cut, carved path between the trees and his eyes glittered.  He was hesitant, still, in a liquid fashion, swishing this way and that, but the first steps grew easier as he drew forward, pulling Arield along with him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Her own first steps were dragging as if she was headed towards her own death sentence. Gradually though she gained confidence and moved to walk beside Jerec instead of being dragged along. Ariel pressed herself close into her campion's side as the town came into sight. She was determined to be strong for him. She was tired of being the helpless one in all their encounters.

"Now just don't do or say anything stupid. And don't go blabbing about what you are until we know what kind of people these are. Some don't give a rat's behind if you're purple even but there's always one that ruins it for the rest."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Jerec silently nodded, gasping a little.  He held his breath. 

"What if...someone asks me a question about being something strange?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

"They won't. Humans are blind and dumb. Only obvious things become noticeable to them and you're not going to be obvious now are you Jerec?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

"No, not if I can help it," Jerec said with a nod.  "But...but what if I can't help it?  What if...what if I change right in front of them!?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Ariel blinked dumbly up at Jerec, not sure whether he was joking or being serious. "Does that happen spontaneously? Is that really a concern for today, mutt?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Jerec shook his head.  "You don't understand.  Normally I can control it.  I can transform when I desire to.  But there are times, when the moon calls me, and I must change, or the fire burns in me, boiling my blood.  It's a concern.  Perhaps not a grew one right now but something I can't simply put away."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

She sighed and shook her head, pausing to pat his shoulder and look at him sincerely. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it Jerec. The moon's call has passed for now hasn't it? You don't have to worry about that. And besides, whatever happens, you've got me. I've saved your furry ass too many times already to let some idiot humans set it on fire. We're in this together and therefore if you don't have any other concerns we really should be going no, shouldn't we?" Ariel gave his arm a tug forwards in hopes of coaxing them both onward despite their own personal reservations warring inside them.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Jerec knew he was complaining about nothing (well, certainly no immediate problem to say the least), and just trying to bide time from the moment they actually entered into civilization.  He knew he was ready for it, and yet part of him still clung to the wild, and here he was standing on the precipice of humanity.  What was he really afraid of?  Leaving everything he knew behind, though he'd been raised with a family, people who loved him however briefly? 

Jerec knew Ariel had given up as much as he did, perhaps moreso after having secluded herself for so long.  She had been more reluctant than he, and here she was standing beside him.  Despite her company, he was still afraid.  But somehow he knew it to be okay. 

"All right," he said at last, keeping his expression doubtful, but he'd move along with her anyway.  "Onward then.  I trust you."  He smiled and proceeded down the road.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

It had taken the pair less time than Ariel had been expecting to settle into a civilized life, though she was forever wary that something bad would happen and they would be driven out by an angry mob in the night.

Upon arriving, they had been able to barter some of the furs to rent a small cabin owned by the butcher's widow, whom Ariel spent many days assisting and looking after despite how much she hated it and longed for freedom. The hardest part about the whole arrangement though was that the woman had to wear clothes at all times and despite her best efforts to resist, the villagers kept trying to convince her to wear dresses, the seamstress even going so far as to make some for Ariel as a welcoming gift and leave them on the cabin's little porch.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Civilized life was, to say the least, boring.

But Jerec was content as could be, like a dog in water, or a cat in crème.  It was hard to find the right terminology since everything was so out of place.  He had lived in a placated setting before but he had been a child then and hadn't known anything else.  But now, he had experience in the world at large and going back on everything he had stood against.

Did he ever have principles?  The world was a wild place.  Filled with the unexpected.  And it was exactly that when he found the wrapped box on their doorstep and immediately proceeded to sniff through it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Ariel dragged herself from her nest of blankets, grumbling to herself as she did many a morning that they were not as nice as her usual furs. Not immediately seeing Jerec, she began to search through the small cabin, checking both the kitchen and the open living room before finally locating him on the front porch.

"And what are you doing now?" she asked groggily, rubbing her eyes as she stepped outside, uncaring for her lack of proper clothing that left her legs bare and her hips only covered by the over-sized tunic she insisted on wearing for sleep.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Jerec leaned back, peering up at Owl with a curious light to his eyes.  "Someone left this box.  It smells of sugar and cookies and cotton.  I think it's a piece of clothing," he said, shaking it again and bringing it inside.  He gestured for her to follow him, and closed the door.  He tore it open a bit savagely and threw the contain off to the side, unfurling the garment out for her to see.

Soon he was beaming.  "It's a dress!" he laughed and threw it at her.  "Try it on!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

She followed him inside, rolling her eyes as she went while watching him seemingly nonplussed. It was only when he tossed the package's contents at her that she squealed, dropping the dress as if it were a snake while backing away from him. "No! Absolutely not! Definitely not! Mutt! Don't even think about it!" Ariel watched him warily, for the excitement he had displayed was enough for her to know she was about to get herself into trouble very soon.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

"What?  Why?" he asked.  He leaned over to pick up the plain garment and turned it over in his hands.  "What's wrong with it?" he asked.  He grinned at her and noted her posture, but he made no move to put it on her.  Not yet anyway.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Her nose scrunched up in obvious distaste as Ariel sneered. "It's girly and so human." She groaned and shuddered at the idea of wearing a dress. Ariel kept her eyes trained on Jerec and the dress both as if afraid that at any moment he would try and trick her into wearing it. Every muscle in her body was tensed in preparation to run should he even attempt it though.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]