Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Welcome Aboard Ye Landlubbers! [OPEN]

Started by GoblinFae, June 23, 2012, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casey

Olivia had been walking with balled fists, boots squishing as she walked, staring down at the wooden planks of the docks, silently fuming to herself. Her hair felt several pounds heavier under her hat, and now that they were both soaked, water dripped down her face, neck, and off the brim of her cap.

A gruff voice snapped her back to attention. Lad? Oh, wait, that's right. That was her. "Uh, yeah. That's her alright. And a lot needs doing. I don't know how handy you are, but there's boards that need to be nailed back in place, everything needs a good sanding, and tell the water-nymph to clear the water out of the hull by the time I get back. He can do that, right?" Her voice unintentionally was laced with an acidic tone, and she only noticed it once she'd finished yelling at a stranger who wanted to help.

"Sorry," she said, trying to swallow her pride. She was a carpenter, she could handle this. No need to make enemies on the first day. She bowed her head politely. "I'm Oliver, the new carpenter. Any help would be much appreciated." She walked past him, and then stopped to turn around and say, "Oh, and the water-nymph is the master gunner. So ask politely." Then off she went to get supplies.

NightWind

Vladimir had once cut a man's tongue out for mouthing off to him, but he was in far too good a mood to be even the least bit annoyed. "Aye, lad, as you say. Think nothing of it. Be talking such to me again however, and I'll have to gut ya." He chuckled, peeking out from his hood enough to wink with a broad grin to say he was joking. He slapped the boy on the shoulder before he turned and offered a last bit of advice. 'Water nymph eh? I've met a few on the rivers.' Vladimir nodded as the youth turned again to leave, rubbing his nose slightly. 'Is it just me, or did the lad smell... Hah, it's nothing. Sea air be getting to me nose.' He shrugged as he walked on down the dock towards the ship. He figured he was far enough from the town to stop hiding his lupine qualities, and paused momentarily to cut a small hole in the back of his cloak for his tail. "Been a long time since that's got a nice breath of air." He mused, sighing with relief.
  He had seen the boy elbow aside the scholarly-looking man, and he wasted no time in doing the same and making his way up the gangplank until he was face-to-face with Morgan. 'A ship with a whore, God's own luck!' He had thought on the way up, but getting a closer look he immediately revised his opinion. Vladimir knew the stance that woman carried, this was one that commanded respect, and undoubtedly an important figure on the ship. "Reporting for duty." He announced, reaching up and pulling back his hood to let it rest on his back, behind his guitar case. "There always be work to do on a ship. I assume you have a task for me?"

GoblinFae

Morgan's eyes followed the movement of the hood and landed on the lupine eyes residing beneath. "Cute," she muttered less out of actual attraction than general interest. "Indeed there always is. You talk as one already accustomed to such tasks. I hope for your sake that also means you are capable of accepting tasks from your superiors without trouble."

Glancing back down the gangway, the doctor had yet to respond to her. She assumed he was probably having a minor fit at being pushed around by not one but two of the new recruits. 'Serves him right if he is just going to lollygag right in the middle of the path.' Her gaze moved to return to this new man when she noticed the head of his guitar poking over his shoulder.

"What are you bard or sailor? What use is that here? We run a tight ship here. Don't expect much free time, puppy," she growled out, crossing her arms and raising a brow in question. Morgan was actually a bit interested in this one. He could prove to be fun to have around, if only to push buttons.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

NightWind

"Aye, that I be," he stated, nodding in affirmation. His eyes narrowed ever so slightly, viritually unnoticeable, at the opportunity as she looked to the doctor and back to him, observing the flicker of her eyes as they took in everything and making a mental note. 'This one don't miss anything, she's got an eye for detail...'
   "What, this?" Vladimir said, patting the guitar case on his back affectionately in response to her questions. 'Puppy? Well, I've heard worse...' The thought still made him scowl slightly. "Aye, not much time on board for her, to be true, but I picked this up after me own sailing days. She be good company on the lonely road, you see, and a quick tongue will only get you so much..." He explained, giving a small wink to add a double meaning to his words. "Many a time has she earned me a place to rest and a meal." Not to mention an inanimate object was the closest thing he had to a friend, almost the only thing he had to be fond of.

zozee9

Another scarred man, thought Sky. But this one has ears!

Since Oliver didn't ask Sky to go with him, Sky decided to investigate the new arrival. The yellow eyes memorized her almost as much as the ears. And... a tail? Sky had seem some pretty interesting people, but none of them looked anything like this.

Walking up to the tailed-man, Sky pointed to his ears and asked, "Is that an illusion? They look so real. But it must be an illusion, right? Unless," Sky's eyes got wide, "You're part animal! I've never seen a mixture of human and wild animal before, but I've heard they exist. Are you one of them?" Sky decided to ignore the fact she was being completely rude and instead just looked at him with curiosity all over her face.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

NightWind

Vladimir cocked his head as the child barraged him with questions, taking in the clothes he wore and the generally filthy look of him. He had seen children like this at the orphanage, and in the streets of the cities- hell, he had looked much the same at one point in his life. 'Cabin boy.' He decided, figuring there was no other place on a ship for a child, and such a dirty one at that. "Me ears? They be from me father's blood. At least, that's what they told me in La'marri..." He trailed off, frowning as he looked to his memories. Who was his father? Who was his mother, even? All he had was the occasional memory of pressing his face to an apron and smelling yeast. Was it from bread, beer, who knows? Vladimir shook his head as he came back to the present- he had no wish to revisit those demons and spoil his good humor. "Arrgh! Annoying little git, aint'cha? Why don't you shove off?" He growled.

GoblinFae

"Oy pipsqueak! I thought I told you to keep out of my hair," Morgan growled, switching from intrigued to irritated in no time flat as her hand latched onto the scrawny shoulder of the cabin boy and gave it a restraining squeeze. "If you do not desire to be shark bait then I suggest you reign in that tongue of yours before I do it for you. I'm not going to tolerate that kind of lip out of you, you hear?"

Straightening she eyed the unnamed soldier. "As for you, cool your heels. What's a boy going to do you, gum you to death? You want a job puppy, well then fine. Teach this yapper over here how to swab a deck. He's a menace with a mop."

Having said that she shoved the cabin boy at the taller man and pointed off to storage room where she had showed Sky the supplies earlier.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Silverna

Ialu sighed and strolled over, trying to look as casual as he could.  He came at the tail end of Morgan's words and bit back a grimace, there was yet another new person that he had to meet.  "I also need some help," he said lightly, figuring that since Sky seemed to hold him in awe he could use it to make sure Morgan didn't make fish bait out of him. "I need to go through the gunpowder to see if any more is wet, it would be easier with another pair of hands."  He could easily do it alone, using his magic but it wouldn't hurt to do it the normal way for once.  Turning to the new crew member he added, "I'm Ialu the master gunner on the ship. If you need help with anything to do with guns just come talk to me."

NightWind

Vladimir smirked at the sight of the young lad and his tongue lashing, then grimaced when the tattooed woman decreed that he was to show him the business. 'Bloody lout won't gum nobody while he be moping up blood.' "Aye aye" was what he said aloud, nodding and trying to keep a straight face. His good mood had fled at the news, but had also perked upon hearing he was hired for sure. 'Besides, no good sulking when there be work to do.' He thought. "Alright lad, let's go."
  His head swiveled to focus on the barechested man, noting the lack of body hair and the clothes with water stains. 'Are those... fires, in his eyes?' He looked over the man's gun holster, with one on each hip that he could see. Vladimir thought it fortunate the nymph/faerie had come by, not only because he offered to take the boy off his hands but also because he had almost forgotten what Oliver had said. "Master gunner eh? The carpenter bade me to bring a message, mate- Oliver, his name was. He requests that you be bailing the water out of the hull by time he gets back, so's he can be patching her up. 'Course, dry gunpowder be important too. Just passing on his words." He informed the man with a shrug. "When or if you get done helping the gunner, lad, mind you find me. Dunno what there's not to know about swabbing decks, but God's Blood you'll know it by the time I'm through with you." Vladimir stated, prodding the boy with a finger before heading in the direction of the storerooms Morgan had pointed out.

zozee9

Not sure what exactly she was supposed to do anymore, Sky looked back and forth between the scarred man and the tailed man. She preferred the scarred man—he wasn't mean. But the mean woman said to mop the deck with the tailed man. But then the tailed man said to go through the gunpowder and then clean the deck. And then the tailed man started walking away. Therefore she was stuck with the scarred man.

Happy with how things turned out, Sky turned towards lalu and asked, "Where's the powder? And, excuse me for asking, but how exactly can I tell if it's wet? Do I have to feel it or can I tell by looking? I've never actually used a gun before... But I'd be glad to help!" Especially since he was one of the two people that she hadn't annoyed yet. "And maybe I could help you empty the water out of the hull! After the gunpowder... and mopping... and perhaps," Sky continued, a slight twinkle in her eye, "You could teach me something when I'm done doing chores!"
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Zane

Hans had gotten distracted by the sight of a barnacle coming out of it's shell, which doesn't happen too often. Looking back up to what he assumed was the quarter master. Being passive was getting him nowhere, but if that was indeed the quarter master then he couldn't afford to be an ass. "I'm talented in healing magic, so I might not have to amputate if I can help it, I'm also a strong swimmer and good at handling rigging. If all else fails I'm good at mopping"

GoblinFae

The quartermaster smirked, glad to finally have gotten a response from the doctor. Ialu interfering in what she wanted done, irked her but she let it go. The cabin boy out of her way and the others working was enough for now. She could handle the specifics later. As long as everything was in order by the time of the captain's arrival, she was content, mostly.

"Why didn't you say that to begin with then? Come aboard, we could use another pair of hands up here," Morgan called down to him. "I'm the quartermaster. You have trouble, you come to me. Right now I'm in charge so heed my word or over you go. Is that clear?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

So glad I wasn't an ass. Hans thought as he walked up the gangplank. "What will you have me do first ma'am? My name is Hans by the way." Hans stepped aboard the ship and breathed in the salty air of the ocean. Today begins the first day of the rest of my life.

GoblinFae

She nodded her head in response to the doctor's greeting somewhat distracted by Ialu talking behind her. 'Undermining my authority. Zephyr why do you always do this to me? I just can't wait until you're back. We have to have yet another long talk.'

"Well Hands since Pipsqueak is disregarding my original instructions you can join Puppy over there in swabbing the deck. It better be shining by the time the captain is back which could be any minute now. Am I understood?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

"And shiny it shall be." Hans had an advantage in this situation. Some years ago while reading in a library in Kia's Court, he had learned of a herb that, when added to water, makes the water acidic to minerals, like the salt that coats the deck from the ship's time at sea. Not only that but It will leave other materials alone like wood, fiber or flesh.

Pulling the small herb from his bag, Hans began tearing it in his hands while walking over to the mop and bucket. When he threw the herb into the water, he grabbed the mop and began to stir the water. When he felt the herb was well mixed in the water, he took the mop out of the water and began swabbing.

NightWind

Vladimir walked back from the storage room, mop over his shoulder and a bucket dangling form the mop. "Oy!" He cried, spotting a man standing over a bucket with a mop in his hands where Vladimir had been planning to mop. "That be my-" swallowing the word "spot", the wolfman reconsidered his approach to the crew. The concept of "friend" had long been forgotten by him, but if he did not at least think of them as his shipmates and comrades, he could not see this ending well- especially if the feelings were mutual. 'I could always kill 'em and patch together a crew of me own... Nah. Too much sweat.' From the look of the crew he had met so far, murdering them all would definitely be far more effort than it was worth.
"Fortune." He grunted instead. "At meeting you proper, mate." The pirate recognized the other man now, he was the one who he and the carpenter had been pushing around.

Zane

Hans had been furiously scrubbing the deck to get the job done quickly, he was quite satisfied at the apparent shine on the wood. His focus was disrupted by a man approaching him from the rear, Which wasn't a bad thing, he was nearly finished with half the deck.

Turning to nod his greeting, Hans did a double-take. That man is a demi-human. Hans had met one demi-human before, quite recently, he had vulpine qualities and claimed he was a nature spirit. The doctor offered his hand, "Hans, pleasure to make your acquaintance." Hans was oblivious to the fact that this was one of the people who had moved him aside while he was staring at the barnacle. He had been that captivated.

NightWind

"Vladimir." The cloaked man muttered, looking at the doctor's hand with his head cocked. 'Do people really be shaking hands so much? Soddit.' He wondered, clasping hands with the other man. Witnessing the behavior of Chris, Vladimir understood the object of this little formality was to squeeze each others' hands. 'Must be a show of strength.' He concluded, vicing his calloused extremity over the doctor's tightly. He sniffed the air curiously, the area had a strange odor to it. Looking to the mop bucket sitting on the deck, he surmised it must be from whatever herb was floating around in it. Casting a quick eye over the area the doctor had mopped, Vladimir had an idea. "Gotta run mate, work to do. When I be done mopping, may be you could come behind me and splash some of that juice around, really put a shine to her."

Zane

The man, Vladimir, had a tight grip. Hans returned the grasp, equally tight. looking over his handiwork then back at the rest of the deck. "Don't bother I'll be done in just a few minutes, there is no point in wasting water." Hans picked the mop off the deck and back in the water. "Keep the herb a secret, I have no idea how the quartermaster will react to it."

NightWind

"Mum's the word." The cloaked man agreed, still clasping hands with the doctor. He awkwardly looked down at their joined hands and decided this had gone on long enough, pulling his hand free. "Right, I'll be getting busy then." Vladimir remembered that the carpenter had mentioned several loose boards that needed a good nailing-down, so he left the other man to finish swabbing and returned to the storerooms. Replacing the mop and bucket, he picked up a stout hammer. "My ship never got this bad on the river." He muttered. Years and years of wandering had given him a habit of talking to himself. Thinking out loud, so to speak. He shrugged it off and set to work, finding loose boards that looked as though they didn't need replacing and securing them, replacing nails when needed.