Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Latent Dream (Summervale) [Cramler] [M]

Started by GoblinFae, March 07, 2024, 04:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

"Yes," Theo sighed, "you are." He knew himself to be soft and kept whereas the other man had the scars to prove how close to the bleeding edge he had come again and again. He shook his head though, waving the notion away.

"It was bound to happen soon anyway. Mother doesn't like me out once it starts snowing. Too afraid I'll get sick. Granted it's not like I can get any more deaf," he jested flatly.

Theo poorly held back a giggle at Fletcher's sulky pouting. "No I don't imagine she will. But goddess preserve me it better not be today. I don't think I can manage to not bite her if I have to endure my parents and her."

He nodded and took a deep breath. "Aye. Tell me what you need from me and I'll see it done. His family deserves everything and more." Theo pressed his lips tight together as he fought the prickling at the corners of his eyes. 

"Oh...your wounds. How's your shoulder? And your hand? Fuck I'm an ass for not even asking. I'm sorry."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

"Well...we've both been a bit distracted, to be fair," Fletch admitted, clasping his wounded hand in his good one without realizing. "It'll be fine. They'll both heal. I got lucky, really. A little further to the left and I'd have...you know what, never mind it." He winced. He'd been about to tell Theo that he'd have bled out before realizing how horrible it would be to say it to a man who'd made a very messy first kill. He hurriedly changed the subject. "Is, er...is yours going to be alright? And...thanks. I won't know until I talk to the boys. See how best to take care of his mum around this. But I may take you up on it after we sort it out." Fletcher's voice began to crack as he spoke of Ash's family, and he was grateful that Theo couldn't hear it.

GoblinFae

Theo paled at the thought Fletcher's injuries being worse. It was his literal worst nightmares. "I'm just glad you're okay," he murmured softly. The reminder of his own injury had him nearly touching it before pausing just in time. 

"It's nothing in comparison. Iron allergies," he shrugged as if it would explain everything. "What can you do? Just will heal extra slowly once it stops trying to spread. S'not the first time I've made this mistake. Probably won't be the last."

He nodded again. "Please see that you do. I...I owe it to him. I think he had a little sister too." Theo misted up. "It should have been me," he muttered lowly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletch stood straighter in challenge to what he'd just heard. "Shouldn't have been anybody," he corrected before he caught himself getting prickly and backed down. "And...I'm glad you're alive," he added a little more softly. He didn't say the rest of it: that if Theo had died, he'd never forgive himself. That if it was Theo instead of Ash, it would serve as a violent echo of the last time he'd lost someone so close to him, and he might not recover from it a second time around. That he preferred, in this way, that it was Ash and not Theo. And what a fuck-awful thing that was to realize, let alone say aloud to a man whose opinion of him mattered very much.

"Anyways, I'll...I'll see you around."

That week passed in a blur of grief and survivor's guilt. Ash's body went home. Fletch couldn't bring himself to tell his mum how it had happened. How senseless it had been. But they helped bury him with the promise that his family would be cared for. They buried the highwaymen, too, in an unmarked grave along the side of the road, and cleared the rubble of the carriage. This order came from the Baroness, who couldn't allow Lady Obower to lay eyes on such a horrible sight.

Priorities. Everyone had their priorities. Not two days had passed when the Baron came to him and ordered him to find a replacement. He should have argued. How could anyone expect him to replace a friend, let alone put another man in harm's way so soon after he'd let Ash die? How could he go out and vet someone new to ensure they'd be safe for Theo if he couldn't even remember to eat? If, between his own nightmares and Theo's cries in the night, he wasn't sleeping at all?

And then there was Niles. Fletch didn't blame him at all for sitting him down to talk it through, but he wished the man had waited. Fletcher's behavior at the ball was dangerous, he'd said. And while in his opinion it was nobody's fault that they were ambushed, him and Tiff and Barty had had to take the lead afterwards. It made him anxious. He asked, in the kindest and politest terms, if Fletcher needed a break. If he wanted to step down and let Niles or Tiff take over. It earned him a harsher rebuke than he'd deserved. "Fuck no," Fletch spat. "It was one bad day. Come back and say it to me when it's a pattern." Whether it was a gut reaction to dig his heels in and hold onto power, or whether he was afraid of losing something else, he didn't know. He didn't look too hard for that answer. He'd do better, and that was that.

Winter deepened into frost and short, miserable days and nights that stretched on forever. His wounds finally healed, but the nightmares never ceased. Instead they grew strange, with Ash intruding on Ven's funeral pyre and Ven on Ash's burial. He tried to shut them out with whiskey, but these days it took him until he was blackout drunk to forget, and that habit was getting expensive. Still, he had more coin now than before. Whether it was grief or anticipation of midwinter or just what he and Theo had admitted to each other, his appetite for visiting the Siren had waned to nothing.

They'd found a tenuous balance, he and Theo. Gone were the days of banter and innuendo, but the tension had eased as well, and they could be as comfortable around each other now as any two people who pretended not to want the other. It made their days together quieter, and there was always a careful dance to leave considerable space between them. It was easier, somehow, than denying it altogether. And, when Lady Obower came to visit, it gave Fletch the cold satisfaction of knowing that she, a trained and pedigreed noble, would simply never measure up. And oh, how he clung to that haughty contempt.

She would arrive this afternoon, as it happened, and Fletcher had prepared his flask for it. Now all there was to do was wait. He lounged in the corner with a particular sourness etched into his features that had nothing to do with Theo's playing and did precisely what he had teased the man about months ago: pretended to read. Every so often, his eye wandered off the page and over to the piano, and he'd drink in that sight before catching himself, shifting, clearing his throat, and going back to not reading.

GoblinFae

They had settled into a routine. It was comfortable and it was torture all rolled into one. Theo had to spend his days as he often did in the winter months; quiet, still, and reflective with the added bonus of constantly being tempted by the scent of tobacco and the sight of long legs and dark features. He considered it a small saving grace that he did not have the ability to hear his bodyguard's voice. It would surely be the siren call to his doom. As it was he already spent far too much time staring at the man's lips and fighting to not imagine how they'd feel against his own again.

The staff were busy making the place warm and cozy in time for Yule and yet Theo in his own petulant protest was purposely playing dirges and other melancholy pieces. It had gotten to the point where the Baroness practically begged him to play anything else. His wordless response was always the same: to play something rude but jaunty until she stormed out in a huff.

Like all the years previous he just did not feel in the festive spirit. This year however felt infinitely worse. He could not say as to whether it was because of the exhausting dance he and Fletcher were both engaged in or because of his actual engagement to Lady Edwina Obower. Hers at least was a voice he was forever grateful to not have to hear. The speed and exuberance at which she spoke made him sure she was likely bubbly and sugary and loud.

As if on cue the woman crept into the room with an impish grin upon her face. She held a finger to her lips with a wink to Fletcher while making sure to tread only on the carpets. Completely unaware of her presence, Theo continued to play as he was quickly stalked and eventually pounced. Her hands clapped over his eyes before moving to wrap around his chest. She hugged him close from behind and nuzzled cheek to cheek with him. 

Edwina tugged him around and waited for him to look at her before talking. "You should play something sweeter, Teddy dear. It's nearly Yule! Aren't you excited? Our first Yule together. And I have just the present for you too! Oh I hope it's finished in time I can barely contain my excitement! Have you gotten mine yet? Is it big? Is it cute? Is it pink? Oh don't tell me I can't wait!"

He looked exhausted as she flitted about, pacing and bouncing as she wasted no time on allowing him to answer her. Out of habit Theo's eyes drifted to where Fletcher was all while knowing it was a torture of its own to do that as well. 
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletch made a rather audible grunt of displeasure as the girl slipped into the room. Between his misplaced attention and Theo's latest funeral song, he must have missed the sounds of her arrival. His mouth turned and his cheek creased into a sneer. He made that face so damned often these days that a new wrinkle had begun to form from it — one he pointedly ignored in the mirror. "Oh come on, now, don't do that to him," he said, knowing full well that she'd never listen to a man she'd dubbed a servant. He rolled his eye and sighed as she started in with her usual sickening exuberance. When Theo glanced over at him with that puppy-eyed look, however, Fletch sat up a little straighter and snapped the book shut.

"Heard from the young master that you've been practicing for him," he spoke up with a nod towards the piano. "Want to show us what you've got?"

There. At the expense of his bleeding ears, maybe that would shut her up.

GoblinFae

"Oh, yes!" Edwina cried excitedly. She pressed a kiss to Theo's cheek before sliding to sit beside him on the bench. Despite his attempts to move over for her she still managed to glue herself to his side  when he found himself with no more room to escape. Her fingers came down poised over the ivory keys before beginning to bang out a piece. 

It was slower than it should have been and hard to recognize as the rambunctious Yule song it was but, it was still a slight bit better than some of the more snotty arrogant students Theo taught. His leg bounced with each odd note she played. Then after a breath he gently joined her an octave lower, matching her tempo easily. 

Edwina stopped to watch him then gently placed a hand on his arm and waited for his attention. "How do you do that? I haven't figured it out will you show me?"

Nodding Theo explained in quiet tones and then tried to correct her as she tried to replicate it. Eventually he stood and moved behind her, placing his hands overtop hers while guiding her through the notes. Edwina could only turn her head and look at him in smitten awe while the nobleman's kept his focus on the music instead. "Just like that," he murmured, turning his head to look at her and realizing nearly too late that she looked seconds away from leaning in and kissing him.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher watched the girl expertly maneuver the situation back to her advantage. She was tenacious, he'd give her that much. Barking up the wrong tree, obviously, but...tenacious. His eye bored into the back of her stupid ginger head, and for a moment he indulged in the fantasy of dragging her from the bench and throwing her off the balcony. The urge to do so only grew stronger as she leaned in to kiss the poor bastard. He thought briefly about trying to rescue him again, but...he'd done enough damage. This was Theo's issue now, not his. And he shouldn't even care what the two got up to, anyways. With a sharp, derisive snort, he leaned back, flipped the book open, and stared at that same picture of the ship.

GoblinFae

Soft, pillowy lips that tasted like honey suddenly pressed into his own and Theo could do nothing but freeze. Once his initial shock was over he immediately retreated from the piano bench looking completely scandalized as he touched his own lips. 

"Lady Edwina! Please we are not married yet. It isn't proper!"

"Oh but we are betrothed. Besides it's just us!"

"It is certainly not just us. Mr. Daw is here—"

"Well he won't tell anyone, will you Mr. Daw? You're rooting for us. You don't mind if we lovebirds get a little kiss in now and again?"

Theo snorted before resorting to coughing to try and hide what he'd done. Lovebirds indeed. If the poor girl only knew how truly uninterested he was in her and how very much he desired the other man in the room instead.

"Allow me to procure you some refreshment Lady Edwina. I believe  there's some warm, mulled cider and some mince pies I can convince cook to relinquish early if we're careful about it." He offered a playful wink while heading for the door. "I'll just leave you here with...Mr...Daw."

It was as he said it that he realized what he had done and yet had left himself with no way out of it. Fletcher was about to be the latest victim of her incessant chattering. He offered them both an apologetic smile that had her giggling and shooing Theo along. 

"Oh take your time my dear. I'm sure Mr. Daw and I can find much to entertain ourselves with in your absence."

Theo lingered a moment longer before making his hurried exit. Edwina however took the absence as an opportunity to immediately set upon Fletcher.

"He's rather cute in a shy, bookish kind of way. Your master is perfectly sweet but I had hoped in time he'd be more open to being bold. Is there another lady? A maid or something? I mean I'd thought we'd be much further along and yet he can hardly manage to kiss my hand."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher's gaze once more slid off the page and up towards Theo. Instead of his usual quiet and reserved longing, however, this time he graced the man with supreme annoyance. He didn't bother to shake his head. Theo would do what Theo would do, and he'd already chosen to leave Fletch alone with this ridiculous, over-sweetened cupcake of a girl. He would definitely hear about it later, though. The look that Fletcher gave him promised him that. 

As soon as Theo was out of sight, Fletch rudely and deliberately propped a boot up on the chair next to him, then went back to staring at that ship again. Edwina either didn't get the hint or didn't care. He clapped the book shut for a second time and tilted his head in a severe and unyielding challenge. "I can assure you, there's no other woman," he replied. There was a long, uncomfortable pause before he added, "Isn't this something you should talk to a girlfriend about, and not a servant?"

GoblinFae

Seemingly undeterred, Edwina yanked the chair right out from his feet and promptly sat down in it, leaning in conspiratorially towards him. "Well you see Mr. Daw, Theodore tends to be what we'd call a bit of a recluse in society. So any girlfriends I have to discuss this with know him even less than I do. You on the other hand are quite close with your Young Master, having to be constantly at his side as it is. So I would assume you'd know him far better than all the rest. Or am I mistaken about the staff my future husband keeps?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

He pursed his lips and narrowly held back the many colorful insults he wished to hurl her way. There might come a time when he could unleash his foul mouth on her. Oh, how he'd love to send her running and crying. Until that day, though, he wouldn't dare ruin Theo's chances of being free of his cage. So he sat up straight again and addressed her. "We're not close," he growled. "Whether or not I'm around him more, I know him just as well as any of the staff do. There isn't another woman, I can promise you that much. You're the only one in his life."

GoblinFae

"Well that's my point. The staff all seem to adore him. He's really just that that then. Poor thing. Our wedding night will be truly awkward then. Unless of course you can give him some advice, man to man that is. You seem the type to know how to steal all the pretty girl's hearts," she commented with a small smirk, her eyes running up and down him appreciatively. 

"Truthfully I don't mind if he has someone else as long as I know about it. If I may be candid there is already someone else in my own heart. The problem is my family simply does not approve of the union. I had hoped if he had someone we could negotiate a way to balance our own happinesses. But, this may be most unfortunate. What a shame."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

The corner of his mouth twitched as she looked him over. It might have been a first for him: revulsion at being seen that way by a woman. Normally he'd have invited it — though, not from some brat just out of diapers. Still, he didn't miss what it meant. She could be swayed towards scandal. Easily, too. And then there came a rather bold admission that she had someone on the side. That she wanted Theo to have someone, too. For leverage. Or so she claimed, anyways — who knew if she was just trying to coax gossip out of him. If she was anyone else but her, he could almost respect the game she played, even if what she'd said made him tread very carefully. 

"Miss — respectfully — part of my job is to be discreet. What you've just told me is none of my d— none of my business. And all of this is better said to your fiancé. He's the one you'd need to negotiate with."

GoblinFae

"It is indeed," she replied smugly. "So be sure to be discreet when you pass on my message to your master regarding my proposition. Unless you have a better one of course?"

Edwina winked and rose from her seat as Theo and Kifes came in the door. "My apologies Theodore dearest. I don't know where my head is at. I simply forgot that I have a dress fitting appointment this afternoon. You don't mind do you dear?" She rushed in and kisses his cheek making him blush deeply as she made her excuses and left him there stunned. 

Theo looked to Kifes as if asking if he was insane and missed something before glancing to Fletcher. Now what?

"I guess you can just put the tray down and close the door on your way out. It seems the lady will no longer be needing refreshment. But do take a pastry on your way out. I know how you like Kenna's almond ones," he teased softly as the other man chuckles but obeyed. Only once the door was closed did Theo allow himself dramatically to sink to his knees and lay on the floor facedown with a deeply exasperated groan.

"How bad you going to murder me for this one?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletch didn't answer her, opting instead for silence and that same unyielding glare. He was a miserable shadow of a man long after she'd gone, and his mood didn't let up when he and Theo were finally alone, either, though his sour expression shifted from unbridled disdain back to annoyance and suspicion. "Mediumly," he replied when the man finally looked up from his self-pitying moment with the floor. "If you leave me alone in a room with her again, she might get me fired. She's your pet, Theo. Don't pawn her off on me."

He squinted at the door for a moment and frowned, then shook his head and signed the rest. "How likely are we to be overheard here? We need to talk."

GoblinFae

He couldn't help himself; Theo snorted but sat up properly and looked out the window in thought. "Can't call something feral no matter how friendly it is, a pet. You could have made excuses for needing to tail me everywhere. Next time we sic her on Niles."

Somewhere to talk. The music room was too easily eavesdropped on or barged in on. Theo shook his head. "Mother wanted me examine the remaining Yule decorations and create an inventory list for Father's budget approval. I suppose with Lady Edwina gone I don't have any more excuses to avoid it."

Theo sighed and crawled back up to his feet. He swiped the plate of snacks and motioned with his head for Fletcher to follow him upstairs. Instead of going down the hall towards their rooms, he turned left and headed off to a lesser used storage room.

"Should be okay here. Are you alright?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher followed behind him, assuming the man led him back to their respective rooms, but instead they ducked into one that was altogether smaller. Cramped, even. There was hardly any air between him and Theo in the narrow space between the boxes. He'd been careful not to find himself in these situations since the day Ash died. Nothing good would come of it. He could already feel his heart pounding in spite of his irritation with both Theo and the girl, and he hung pointedly back by the door.

"I'm fine," he said, keeping his voice low. He blew right past the formalities and launched into it. "Theo, she's sharp. She went right for it trying to dig up leverage on you. Wanted to know if you had a woman. Played innocent at first, then changed up her game when it didn't work. Told me she's got a man on the side, and she wanted you to know it, too. Said it was so you could 'negotiate' so she can be with him. I dunno that I believe it, the way she was looking at me like I was meat.

"I meant what I said, though. I don't want to be alone with her again. She's a schemer. I don't trust her not to try something and pin it on me and get me fired."

GoblinFae

His brow wobbled slightly as if to agree on being unable to blame her for her interest but he wisely kept his mouth shut. He sighed and leaned back against a dusty stack of boxes, clearly trying to process all the information into a cohesive conclusion. 

"Alright, next time then you are required to shadow me or else your job is at risk. My safety is key." He raised a brow as if to ask if that was okay while placing the plate on one of the shelves and crossing his arms over his chest with a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry for leaving her with you. I will be sure not to do so again. And now I have to figure out a way to end things with her at fault. God why did you have to be right? I should have proposed to a little bookworm."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

"Yeah. That works. Thanks." He crossed his arms in a mirror of Theo's posture and tapped his foot as he thought it through. He was out of his element again. He could no more storm into the Obower estate and beat someone senseless for answers than Theo could talk his way out of a street fight. They'd have to be slow about it. "Look. You know how to do this better than I, but if you want to find the other man, it might mean reeling her in further. Seeing what she has to say. Going along with it, you know, until you have all the cards. Either that, or use a cudgel and find someone to start a scandal with her. Not — me, to be clear," he added, holding a hand up to protest even the thought of it. "If you can get a name out of her, I can find him."

Fletcher scratched his jaw and grimaced. Now there was another thought, and he wasn't sure Theo would like it at all. He certainly didn't, but... "If it ends up that she's telling the truth about what she wants...and I'm not saying she is, but if she was...would it be so bad? You'd have your dad off you. You'd have a bit more freedom than now, and without a woman expecting something you couldn't give her. It would be honest, if nothing else."