Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bending Fate [M] [Goblin]

Started by Juno, March 05, 2012, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Remaining quiet to listen to her, Akakios became more and more interested in what she had to say the longer she spoke. She seemed very well-spoken for such a young woman, for one, but she also was keeping such a level head now in the face of such uncertainty surrounding her beloved pet. Her control of herself and her honesty was, if nothing else, impressive.

He was amused yet impressed that this young woman who was practically a stranger to him knew of him and knew his marital status at that. He hoped that meant he still had a relatively good reputation throughout the local towns for her to say such things of him. It earned her a relaxed, genuine smile at least.

Staring at her bowed head, the vampire began to relax. He was starting to feel that she might not want to sabotage him as he had originally thought. She was acting the part of a scared, but strong young lady despite her denial of such a thing. He definitely thought she looked the part of a commoner, but her mind was clever and he had to appreciate that and the thought that there might be something more there.

"How kind of you to be concerned for me," he said gently, the accusatory tone from before gone now. "I am disappointed, but I will give you this one opportunity to do things your way. No ill will come of you in this house, that I can swear to you. Just know, Petal, that if you burn me it will be the innocent that suffer for it." With that, Akakios reached up to loosen several of the ties along the collar of his shirt to give himself enough room to stick his arm under it.

Reaching inside, he carefully plucked the snake she called Fern from his resting place around his arm and held him out to her. "Your Fern." Agreeing with her was a gamble, but it was one he was willing to take. He didn't really need collateral if he would soon know where her family lived. Besides, she might feel like telling him more if she didn't feel threatened by him. Still, it was a big step to take to have any trust in a stranger, especially one who was able to convince him so well.

GoblinFae

Ladybird nodded her head, looking the nobleman confidently in the eye to show her sincerity and truthfulness. "I am not one to burn bridges. I have no desire nor need to burn you sir. I hope you can believe me about that. I have no doubt of your own sincerity."

She gasped softly and blushed to see him undoing some of the ties of his tunic before she realized what he was doing. The careful return of her familiar, lit up her face as she cooed while taking the tiny snake back in her small hands. "Thank you," Ladybird murmured as she pressed a soft kiss to Fern's sleepy head.

"Thank you for that Lord Reolaras. You don't know how much he means to me," she admitted wearily, while wrapping the softly hissing snake around her wrist. Grumbling about being cold, Fern slid his way up her arm to rest high up by her shoulder beneath her sleeve, demaning to be left to sleep.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

He was at least pleased to see her calm and acting civil again with the return of her pet. Her thanks seemed quite genuine, so he decided to just let it be and wait. He was sure he could get something out of her at a later time. Watching the snake make his way up her arm, Akakios smiled softly for the little creature and turned to lead her out of the house and out to the stables.

"Do you ride, Miss Petal?" he inquired, expecting her to say she was uncomfortable doing such a thing, as many ladies often were.

GoblinFae

Following closely at the nobleman's side, the pair returned to the main foyer before exciting towards the stables. Not realizing that it would be out of character for her to know how to ride, Ladybird chuckled, shrugging her shoulders. "Of course," she replied simply as they entered the stables.

"Might I see your injured mare though before we depart? I'm sure you can afford the best of care for her but, I'd feel better seeing that she's alright for myself. She's such a sweet animal. I was impressed with her calm given the injury. You must be proud."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Surprised by her answer, he turned his head to stare at her. He had it practically made up that she must be bluffing for some reason. Her request was odd, though, and much too caring, he thought, for someone to be about an animal at this hour.

Shrugging, he replied, "Of course you may. I don't know which stall she's in, but I would be careful if I were you. Don't go inside, she might get spooked." The last thing he needed was an injured person at this hour.

Akakios went on ahead, though, once he'd opened the main doors. He knew exactly where his stallion would be waiting for him. "Are there...stables at your relative's home?" he called to her, thinking ahead and knowing he didn't want his prized horse to be standing outside all night.

GoblinFae

"Thank you!" she cheerfully replied, ignoring his request to not go inside. Velvety, soft muzzles peaked out from various stalls to watch the little human make her way down until she finally stopped in front of the right stall.

The mare poked her head over the stall door and cautiously sniffed Ladybird's offered hand of greeting. "Hello pretty girl. Remember me? How are you feeling now?" The horse shook her head slightly, snorting before sniffing around the young woman's dress for the scents coming from the botanist.

"I'm sorry I don't have any treats for you sweetie," she giggled, slowly opening the stall door and slipping inside. Her hand ran cautiously down the injured foreleg while she continued to talk softly to the animal. "Aw you're looking much better already, sweetheart. Such a good girl," came the heartfelt praises. "How about tomorrow when I'm here I bring you a nice crisp apple. Would you like that? Yeah?"

Ladybird exited and closed the stall once more. She leaned forward to kiss the mare's nose giving one gentle ultimatum. "Be a good girl then and I'll see you in the morning." The young woman turned to face Akakios with a big smile on her face. "She'll be better in no time," she informed him. "I did my best for the scarring given my supplies. I'm sorry I couldn't do better but given enough rest and continued proper treatment she'll be as good as new.

"And yes," she began distractedly while she brushed her hands together, dusting them off before smoothing her skirts, "we do have stables. Granted my family doesn't have as many horses as you but we know how to care for the animals we have. If you're worried about your horse catching cold, we have extra blankets you can use," Ladybird added, concerned that he thought her so lowly as to not be able to properly care for his property.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Greeting the dark creature silently, the vampire went about saddling him himself. It was one of the few things he was willing to always do for himself and his mount. He listened to Petal's cooing across the barn. It was interesting to him how quickly her attitude had changed around him. Surely it could only be good for him, but he still felt the need to be a bit wary of her. After all, he still believed she had many, many things to hide from him.

"I think they'll be fine without blankets," he stated calmly as he finished cinching the girth. After pulling on a pair of gloves he fed him the bit and secured the bridle. "But thank you. I would rather not leave my horses to stand outside all morning. How comfortable are you with riding, really?" he asked, straightening and turning to face her. Exiting the stall and grabbing another set of tack, he began walking down the row of stalls in search of a horse for her. "And why are you so invested in mending my horse?" he wondered aloud.

GoblinFae

Ladybird just smiled up at the nobleman, oblivious to his suspicions concerning her person. Instead she just walked alongside him, trying to stay out of his way. "I," she blushed feeling very embarrassed as she began her admission, "can't ride like a proper lady but, I can ride well enough. "My horse Butterscotch and I have journeyed to other provinces well enough without injury. I promise that you need not worry yourself about causing harm to one of your horses. I am no ninny. I won't force them to do something they can't," came her assurances that in part misunderstood the intention of his initial question.

"As for my investment as you call it, well it's nothing really. I don't expect anything in return or am even looking for it. It's just," the young woman shrugged, still smiling, "I just really like helping, whether it be a person or an animal. She started under my care and I just like knowing she will be alright. It's just the way I am," she explained.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He chuckled unexpectedly at her emphasis of proper. It also surprised him that she was comfortable enough to journey so far in a saddle and willing to admit it as well. He made note of it, sure he would have to watch out for any other hidden talents she might possess. "I didn't mean to question your abilities, Petal," the noble chuckled. "But since you're so comfortable, I suppose it doesn't matter which one I lend you for this ride."

Akakios paused and turned to face the stall doors as he looked up and down the barn. Bright eyes blinked at him, staring out curiously with that twinkle of eagerness he knew all too well. Finally, he settled upon his choice and started walking back towards the end his horse was at to a mare only a few stalls down. "She's a bit shorter than the rest, but not as short as the pony," was his explanation as he let himself into the stall and began preparing her for the trip.

"Is it just horses you have a soft spot for then?" he asked, glancing to her.

GoblinFae

"Just as long as I can mount it shouldn't matter," she mumbled under her breath, wincing at the image of her trying to shimmy up his larger horses. "Ah thank you," came her louder response as she slowly approached the new horse. Once more Ladybird offered up a hand towards the horse, letting the mare sniff her hand and become acquainted with her.

"I like all animals," she began, running her hand along the mare's long neck to the opposite side of where Akakios was standing. "At home I have many "visitors" large and small that rest in my home or garden from time to time. I do what I can for those that need it."

A fond smile lit up her face while the young woman began to help the nobleman with preparing the mare for their travels. The act came easily to her from doing it so many times over the years. It was a very cathartic feeling, caring for another animal, not of course that she could explain that to Lord Reolaras.

"Does she have a name, Lord Reolaras?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Her explanation was reasonable enough, though he thought it a bit childish to care for animals so deeply. He wasn't exactly the sort to have a deep nurturing drive. "I see," he acknowledged, trying to keep the boredom out of his voice. He couldn't imagine sharing his home with a pack of wild animals. Dogs were bad enough when he allowed them in.

Allowing her to work with him on the horse, Akakios took his time so that he could listen to what she was up to. Carefully placing the bridle over the mare's head, he shrugged at her question as he finished readying her for their ride. "Sabra," he answered. "Though I would prefer you not call me 'Lord' when you are talking to me directly, Petal."

GoblinFae

Ladybird peaked her head out around Sabra's body to view Akakios. "What would you have me call you then, sir? I mean no disrespect," she informed him honestly. Her hands continued to pet the mare's long neck as the botanist moved around her to check the length of the stirrup on the nobleman's side. She did not fancy the idea of falling off and was not completely sure that he would know what length to pick for her given her shorter stature.

Once it had met her approval though, she found she was not sure what to do with herself. Ladybird felt awkward and out of place. She was after all just a commoner in the presence of a nobleman who did not seem too happy with her for some reason or another. Kia only knew what she had done to irritate him in the first place. Although she was praying that with the return of her familiar, that his better mood would prevail as she liked him a great deal more this way.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Watching her carefully as she moved around to his side Akakios took a step back to give her room to work and see just what she was doing. "If you won't have me calling you a lady, I will not have you calling me a lord," he explained simply, smiling a bit to himself at her poor reactions thus far to being called as such.

GoblinFae

Her mouth opened and closed slightly as she flushed deeply. For a moment or two Ladybird found herself unable to speak coherently, her words came out as slight squawks and sputterings. "But, I'm not a lady," she finally was able to protest. "You are a lord. There's a difference!"

Uncomfortable and embarrassed by her mini-outburst, she busied herself with making sure the saddle was situated just right even though she knew well enough that it was fine. "Should we be going then?" Normally Ladybird would just mount up in the stable if she were at home, but in the nobleman's home, she did not know whether it was bad form to do so or not.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Smiling at her struggle, Akakios simply shrugged. She did have a point, but he wasn't about to acknowledge it because he didn't care about the formalities with someone he believed to be a prostitute. Sarcastically or not, he was determined to call her whatever he wanted to call her. It was something he thought better to discuss over their ride or at a later date.

"Yes, of course, thank you for reminding me," he said, moving out of the way and opening the stall door to lead the mare out to the aisle. "Here, take her. I'll get my horse." Releasing the reins, Akakios walked off to go retrieve his stallion from his stall after a quick check final check of the tack.

GoblinFae

Obediently, Ladybird took Sabra's reigns and gently coaxed the mare out of the stall and into the center of the stables. Believing that Akakios was going to go mount his own horse, the botantist easily placed her foot in the stirrup and swung herself up into place, taking care to shift her weight properly without causing any discomfort to her borrowed steed.

"Good girl," she praised softly, patting the strong neck and silken mane of the beast beneath her. "Thank you for being so accommodating patient with me Sabra." She then carefully began to lead the horse forward a few steps, adjusting to the animal's responsiveness as well as feeling out her own comfort in the saddle while she waited for the nobleman to be ready.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Oblivious to what was going on, Akakios led his horse out and looked down the aisle ready to tell her to follow him. He stopped when he saw she was already seated atop her mount. Going wide-eyed for a moment, he opened his mouth to say something but then closed it. Smiling to himself, the vampire walked to the doors to open them to the night air so that she could ride out before mounting up in the doorway.

Adjusting his reins, he silently motioned for her to follow before he urged his stallion forward. He responded with a quickness he had come to expect of him, rocketing off at a steady gallop towards the familiar, worn road that was hidden in the distant darkness. Wondering if she would be able or if he would have to slow his beast, Akakios looked over his shoulder once his ears told him they had transitioned from tall grass to dirt.

GoblinFae

Catching the nobleman's surprise from the corner of her eye, Ladybird felt a sense of pride in having proven herself as at least a somewhat capable woman. Keeping the other man's silence, she too moved Sabra forward to exit the stables. She was surprised though to see Akakios in such a hurry to bolt ahead, especially considering he did not know where they were headed.

With a roll of her eyes, the botanist set the mare off in a canter, unwilling to go any faster for fear of possibly having the animal throw a shoe or become injured under her watch. The last thing she needed was more accusations from the reclusive nobleman. While it was true she was tired, the need for speed was not nearly that great.

"Do you know the way?" she called from behind him when she caught him looking back.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Forcing the horse to slow when he realized she wasn't going to be catching up anytime soon, Akakios smirked for her question and raised his head proudly. "Unless they are living off of my own lands then I would assume we would be leaving my property first," he called back to her calmly. He was still very interested to know just who her relatives were, though he was sure they would not be anyone he should have known in the first place.

Holding back the excited, squealing stallion was difficult, but the animal knew to obey his master. He was just a very excitable beast and one who was very eager to work and had had little chance to recently. As they slowed to match pace beside the mare he finally relaxed into the easy rhythm.

"But no," Akakios continued in a much softer tone. "I do not know the way as I do not know where we are going exactly." He observed the way she rode and handled the mare and he found it impressive that she wasn't yanking on her at all and seemed comfortable and stable in the saddle. It made him feel a bit more comfortable with her overall in that she was probably telling the truth about her familiarity with horses.

GoblinFae

"While it is true that they don't, I was only asking since I thought it might be nice if we rode together," she suggested with a gentle smile. Ladybird urged Sabra forward to pull alongside Akakios so that neither of them would have to strain or shout to converse.

Glancing down at his dark stallion who seemed to be under the firm control of his master, she began to wonder how often the reclusive nobleman even left his manor. "Your horse seems to be bursting with energy even for so late at night. I know that if I took my own boy out he would be right cross with me. Do you get a chance to ride often, my l-sir?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]