Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bending Fate [M] [Goblin]

Started by Juno, March 05, 2012, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Amused by her almost-slip, he turned to face forward as he stroked the strong neck of the stallion beneath him, acknowledging the horse's eagerness as well. "I do ride often," he replied. "But I don't always take the same one. I'm sure he's quite jealous of the attention the others get." As if responding, the black stallion nickered and tried to surge forward a bit, though he was quickly eased back down by the vampire.

"He knows he is favored, though," he chuckled, looking to her. "Does your Butterscotch feel the same way, you think?"

GoblinFae

"Ladybird nodded and chuckled. "Oh I think Butterscotch knows exactly how much he is loved. He has a way of getting what he wants more times than he should. But, he's a good horse and has served me and the community well. I wouldn't trade him for the finest thoroughbred if even the goddess herself offered it to me."

Soothingly she ran her hand up and down Sabra's neck. "You never did tell me what I should call you, sir," she prompted with a small smirk. "Surely sir is no better than Lord."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

It was interesting for him to hear her speak so fondly of her horse. Perhaps it was that she was a woman, but Akakios wasn't accustomed to talking about such things. He was worried that he was losing focus, that he would lose sight of why he wanted to question her and the potential danger she posed to him.

Distractedly staring ahead, he was nearly startled by her voice when she spoke again. Looking at her and the smirk as she addressed him, the vampire sent back one of his own. "You're right, it's just as insulting," he teased. "And forgive me, I thought it was apparent what you should call me, if not "lord" or "sir." You may call me Akakios if I am only to call you Petal and not "lady." I think it is only fair that we take familiar names with one another as I do intend for us to be spending quite a lot of time together until this...hiccup is resolved. Unless the lady objects?"

GoblinFae

She looked first left and then right. "I don't see any ladies here to object, do you Akakios?" she playfully challenged. His previous statement though finally caught up with her and she stared at him in shock with wide eyes.

"What do you mean, a lot of time together? I thought you said you only had a few more questions for me in the morning. Should I be concerned about getting my work done tomorrow? Not that I'm complaining about spending time with you my-Akakios however, I'm sure you understand, I have a responsibility to my clients. I can't afford to let them down and lose business."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Ignoring her teasing, he only acknowledged it by rolling his eyes. As she caught up with what he'd said, though, he was very interested in what she had to say. "Are you looking to turn master into slave, Petal?" he wondered playfully, chuckling with great amusement at the notion.

"I would not worry a great deal," he told her, not wanting to worry her with his slip of tongue. "I'm sure you'll end up providing me with whatever I need from you, right? It shouldn't take too long. Any time I keep you from your business, though, will be thoroughly compensated, so please don't worry about that.

"The matters I need to discuss with you are of extreme importance... And it might serve us better to spend a bit more time on it sooner rather than later. I would hate to keep dragging you away from your work."

GoblinFae

"No!" she squeaked, blushing darkly at her own slip. "That's not what I meant, I swear! Oh, you're teasing me aren't you?" She mumbled quietly to herself as she came to terms with her own embarrassment. Even as she listened to him explain things, she kept her head down and prayed the darkness of night hid her rosy cheeks.

Ladybird sighed heavily. "No compensation is necessary, Akakios. It is my reputation and not my client's money that concerns me. Unreliability is no good for business you see. Of course I will do my best to assist in any way that I can. But, as you've said it shouldn't take too long. I'm willing to answer your questions just as I have done so all evening."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He admired her commitment to her business, but he was having trouble seeing how that could still be more important than what he wanted with her. "I can understand that, having my own business myself," he told her. It pleased him  that she'd used his name instead this time. He hoped that meant they could make progress elsewhere in their odd relationship.

"Tell me, though... Do you not work with anyone else? You have no one to help you? You do everything by yourself?" he wondered, slowing his horse a bit more.

GoblinFae

Ladybird shook her head. "No, it's only me that works in the shop. It's a family business but my parents have since retired and my sisters have their own lives. It's not the end of the world though. I really enjoy what I do," she told him with a soft smile. "There is just a certain satisfaction that comes from all your hard work paying off in the end."

Self-consciously she moved a stray hair behind her ear. "Then again I don't think that in your line of business you probably ever get your hands dirty. Don't really seem like the kind of man that plays in the dirt and all." She chuckled softly. "No offense."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He thought it interesting that she had family that would not or could not help her with her business. Perhaps that is why she has to resort to other means of earning money, he thought, frowning for how he pitied the idea of her that way. A dark chuckle rose in his throat at the way she painted him, as if he were some white-gloved lady who would not dare become involved in something messy or unsavory.

"I get my hands dirty plenty. Rarely with actual dirt, mind you, but I don't shy away from my work. Sometimes things just...need to be done, so I do them." He smiled across at her, though, amused still that she might think him to be so distanced from his livelihood. "But no offense has been taken, Petal. You couldn't have known," he shrugged off.

"What is this with your family, though? Why must your sisters have their own lives and leave you with all the work to do? How many do you have, anyway? Sisters, that is. And...what else do they do if they don't help? Do they just let their husbands support them?" he guessed, rolling his eyes at the memories of utter laziness he had seen in many noblewomen upon being married. Some had been so strong and vivacious only to become tamed, demure little creatures that seemed incapable of thinking for themselves anymore.

GoblinFae

She blushed to think of him dirtying his hands. Ladybird could not honestly think of any work a nobleman could be involved in that would qualify as dirtying his hands yet she wisely held her tongue. She was not about to start another argument up with him if she could help it.

"It is not a bad thing that I run the shop you know," she stated a bit defensively. "My elder sister is married and expecting her first child. Her husband is a store clerk and she helps him when she can. Although if the healer has anything to say about it she should be off her feet and in bed. She pushes herself too hard." The botanist shook her head and rolled her eyes in thoughtful exasperation.

"As for my younger sister well, she lives with our parents and takes care of them. She is the "free spirit" of the family." Ladybird smiled fondly as she thought of Berry's antics. "It is not uncommon to find her getting into a spot of trouble or two, yet we love her all the same. She is engaged to some moneyed sailor-boy. So, as you can see we each lead our own hard-working lives. It was not luck of the draw but choice that led me to taking over our family shop. I take a lot of pride in doing so." Her head bobbed as she nodded sharply to accentuate her point.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He thought on what she was telling him. It seemed truthful enough, but he hadn't expected her to be so forthcoming. It made him suspicious as to why it felt like she was lying to him plenty of other times. She might just be the best liar you've ever met. Maybe it's all a lie. Every word from her mouth, he thought, glowering at the road ahead.

"They do sound busy. A baby on the way... And both in relationships, too. My goodness. You do sound like a very busy, hard-working lot," he said, hoping to just feed her obvious pride in her family. "Should I expect to meet your beau as well? Why does he not work in your shop?" Or is it Toren that you're after? That would be quite sad.

GoblinFae

"Ha!" Ladybird scoffed. "There is no man in my life unless you're counting men who refuse to recognize a lack of relationship and insterest, in which case your associate, the apothecary Agehneim believes himself to have certain rights to my person and my property. Neither of which are his. Nope," she continued, letting her darker mood fall away. "I work in my little shop by myself but never alone. I have all my little furry visitors, you see." She giggled, crinkling her nose in amusement.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Akakios snorted at the idea of Agehneim going after her like that. He didn't doubt that there were two sides to that story. Perhaps he wouldn't think he had any rights to you if you didn't choose such a side profession. I'm sure he's paid good money for you before, he thought while sneering at her from the corner of his eye.

"I see," he mumbled. "And why is there no man in your life? Would he complicate your work too much?" he guessed, thinking himself quite clever. "Or are men not where your interests lie?"

GoblinFae

The botanist looked over at the nobleman with a look of confusion and skepticism. "I am not sure that it is any of your business, sir however I believe I have not found the right man yet. As silly a notion as it may seem especially to one such as yourself, I happen to desire to marry out of love and not wealth. Until then I have my shop to run and my family to look out for. My youngest sister will not always be home to care for their health in their old age. Someone has to do it and I do not mind the idea."

Ladybird pursed her lips. She could not believe that not only had he insinuated such things but that he had had the nerve to voice it allowed. While it was true she may not be a woman of high-standing as he was accustomed to dealing with but that did not mean that she was any less of a hard-working or caring individual.

"I see nothing wrong with a man helping me run my business. A marriage is meant for a couple to work side-by-side in all that they do," she continued. "Besides, it's sweet to think of a couple working in a flowershop. It's romantic," she added softly, feeling her cheeks warm despite the cool night air. Often, Ladybird had thought of what it would be like to have her husband share in her work just as she had seen her own parents do. It was one of her favorite dreams.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

The very idea of a man working in a flower shop brought a hearty chuckle from the vampire. He couldn't believe that was actually her grand, master plan in life. "Now, Petal," he chastised sweetly. "What makes you think a man would want to work in a flower shop?

"And if love is your only obstacle, why have you not married? I would think there are plenty of eligible men in this province alone. Do none of them interest you except for my Toren?" he guessed.

As far as he was concerned, she wanted a fairytale. But he really was curious about what might be holding her back if her family already had the connections she claimed it to have.

GoblinFae

"Well my father ran the shop before me and his father before him and his father before him. Sadly my father never had any sons otherwise it would have gone to them instead of me. However, I don't regret it for a moment. Petal and Frond is a pleasant establishment where the work is always rewarding," she informed him, feeling a bit unhappy that he would believe no man would want to work in a flowershop. It was the same kind of attitude that always served to put her in a foul mood. Why Ladybird could not think of a more romantic or adorable profession for a man than a flowershop owner unless of course he was a librarian but that was another fantasy she would rather not get into given her present company.

Yet she found herself stunned to hear him talk about her lack of a husband. For a moment, Ladybird stared at him dumbfounded resisting the urge to smack him for not even listening to himself speak. "I do believe Akakios that you have already identified the reason why I am not married. I have yet to find a man that I love and," she paused, her eyes widening in surprise.

"Toren? He doesn't interest me!" She made a scoffing chuckle. "I don't even know," she protested further shaking her head. "You can't exactly fall in love with someone you have only met twice. Um, excuse thrice. I cannot help but wonder what kind of woman you take me for Akakios. I would not dare insult your upbringing but you cannot honestly believe that every common-woman just throws herself at any man to come across her path. The world just doesn't work like that. At least, not this one."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Akakios was honestly surprised to hear about her family's history with the shop. The name sounded familiar, but he was very certain he had never set foot in it before and he intended to keep it that way. Though he was interested in her slip regarding Toren, he chose to just keep the information to himself for now and not get into another argument with her while she rode a very expensive animal of his.

"Love," he scoffed, though he knew the feeling quite well and the pain it had brought him in the past. "Forgive my assumptions, then, Petal. In my life I have known most common girls to desire marriage for necessity and survival. I'm certain that not everyone can hope to make such a valuable contribution to society as you do.

"But perhaps you are right. Perhaps I have not opened my eyes to the changes of recent years," he shrugged and turned his head to further inquire, "What is so rewarding about your work?"

GoblinFae

Her lips pursed in displeasure as he mocked her desire for love. "Aye, I can understand that some of us require a marriage for survival but my family and I have been blessed with good fortune. While we may never be as rich as you, we are able to live comfortably with few wants."

Ladybird smiled to herself before sitting up straighter in the saddle. Being asked why her job was so special always set her in this mood. "Well," she began, "flowers are seriously misunderstood. They are something trod upon or uprooted for beauty alone. Few understand that they have meaning, that they say what sometimes we cannot. Some provide nourishment while others have properties to heal. They are very necessary for our survival and therefore we can't live without them. The flowershop is therefore versatile as I provide for many different clients. Some wish raw ingredients for their own work like the apothecary. Some want plants in their home for beauty or for medicinal purposes. The blacksmith buys aloe from me in order to treat his burns.

"So you see, it's not as silly a business as most perceive. It has a lot of use. My customers' thanks is all the reward I need for helping our community. And I've run at the mouth again," Ladybird stated with another blush. She chewed on her lip nervously while shaking her head slightly. "My apologies. I am rather passionate when it comes to what I do. Sometimes I get carried away."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

To him it was laughable that so many people could live comfortably as commoners, assuming that they all lived together. He truly was very out of touch with the realities of the people he himself lived so close to.

"But flowers don't actually mean anything," he protested. "They're just dead plants... I understand how they can be useful and all, but they still are just plants. Dead plants. They don't have any meaning besides their usefulness. I suppose that's good for you if you've found such a fruitful niche to work in," he said with a shrug, entirely ignoring the shop's history she'd given to him already.

"I doubt so many people could live comfortably off of a flower shop," he scoffed, not believing her in the least. "But I suppose it's good that you have a passion. It's a rare thing to find, I think."

GoblinFae

"They're not always dead!" she protested angrily, before she was able to catch herself from making such a haughty outburst. Ladybird blushed, clearing her throat for a moment before continuing a bit more calmly. "I sell living plants as well. I mean some such as the healing plants have much more use alive than they do dead. The aloe plant as I have already mentioned is a continuous supply of burn relief if kept alive."

Feeling a bit agitated to have her family business so ridiculed, she reached forward to rub her mare's ears as a soothing gesture to both. She hated it when others demeaned her line of work as if she was a fool for selling flowers.

"Are you accusing me of having a lucrative side business Akakios," she queried him bluntly, an eyebrow raised in challenge. "I can assure you my family lives quite comfortably off the flowershop's earnings. My two sister's and I never wanted for anything growing up. Perhaps though you are comparing our way of living to your far more extravagant luxuries. Not all of us require such padded cells to contain us though. We are not glass that breaks with a fall nor are we lamed if dirt should happen come in contact with us."

A faint smile graced her face as she amused herself with comparing the noble life with that of a commoner. Ladybird felt two could play at his game. He seemed intent on believing she was incapable of living so comfortably so she had no qualms with disproving it all the while reminding him of his own spoiled upbringing. Or at least she assumed it was spoiled. In her experience, those with money tended to be. The mayor's children were example enough of that and they did not have nearly as much money as Lord Reolaras. She could only imagine what kind of horror he was in his youth.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]