Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Trying to hammer out my character...

Started by shadowandbone, November 19, 2012, 09:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowandbone

Alright, so I've read some descs on here...and have been working diligently on my Adelan char!
I have begun to wonder though...how long is TOO long for a desc? I'm adding my char-draft to this post...some feed back would be great! I sort of feel like I'm stuck in "Draft" mode with her right now...

Height: 5'5
Weight: 108lbs (approximately)
Ethnicity: Tribal Adelan
Sexual Orientation: An equal opportunity lover.
Occupation: Tribal Hunter/Warrior, and unorthodox Shaman looking to join the ranks of the Military.
Hair: Naturally white/blonde, she keeps her hair and eyebrows dyed dark auburn using plant derived dyes which she keeps on hand. Her hair is kept long (it falls just past her lower back) though she keeps it appearing short using a multitude of small braids and plaits tucked and twisted through each other. Fetishes such as feathers, small gemstones, and a set of knuckle bones adorn it.
Skin Color: Olive toned. Normally she maintains a warm, honey/ocher hue, but during the summer her skin darkens to a deep sienna.
Eyes: Chartreuse, though if she is ill or truly distressed they are a murky phthalo(Dark green, almost black).

Identifiers:
Piercings: Both of her ears are pierced 12 times, for every second year of her being. Her holes are stretched in a gradual order, the lowest being the largest and the top-most generally being the smallest(00's,0's, 2's, 6's, 8's, 12's, 16's, 18's, 20's, 22's)each set of piercings is a different metal.
She also has her septum pierced with a set of osprey talons bonded in the center with gold to make a typical inverted U.

Tattoos: Artemisia has no true tattoos as identifiers. Instead she uses natural ink pastes (henna, woad, indigo) as it allows for her to change her "tattoos" as she changes, and doubles as a very spiritual meditative practice for her. Typically the areas she will decorate are her arms/hands, feet/legs, and her face (if she is going hunting, or into battle).

Markings she keeps continually:
  -Cuffs on her wrists made of twisting, intricate "vines"   which reach up to her mid fore-arm and end boldly where    the wrist ends and hand begins.
  -An eye on her left palm to ward off evil, surrounded by   intricate vinery
  -A sahasra on the right palm.
  -Dragon flies (3 each) adorn her calves, so she may always walk with beauty and change.
  -On the tops of her hands she has shields designed with  a rowan at the center, the branches folding and twining along her finger tips and to meet with the Eye and  Sahasra on her palms.
  -A woad and indigo dragon braces her right bicep and  shoulder, its head resting atop her shoulder, and tail winding down to her elbow.

Scaring: 3 truly visible scars mark Artemisia
- Along her left eye is a set of two jagged scars that reach from just above her eyebrow and down her cheek, the outermost cuving with her jawline slightly. This scar is the newest, and is a bitter red against her skin.
-She also has a large scar on her right thigh just    above her knee where she was bitten, and the animal tore out flesh, leaving a puckered pinkish depression.
-Lastly she has a maze of silvery (very old) scars down her back which are obviously lashes.

Description:
Too sharply defined and scarred to be considered "beautiful", with high cheekbones, and large shockingly green feline-like eyes Artemisia's features are hard and predatory. Her braided hair and fetishes fall just below her chin, doing little to soften her face. Full wide lips are the only welcoming thing upon studying her visage, and even these are marred by the osprey talons falling just above her upper lip, wickedly sharp and foreboding. Standing a mere 5'5, her ocher skin stretched taut over her sharp bones and hinting of a lifetime with little nourishment, she is none the less an intimidating site. Stained "tattoos" trace their way down from a dragon's head resting on her shoulder, to her very finger tips. The flavors of the wild exude from her in not so subtle waves, even her scent, that of dark forests and loamy soil with a hint of sweet lavender only accentuates the roughness about her.
Artemisia wears her hide hunting gear constantly. Knee high tawny bone buckled boots with soft soles to keep her steps quiet leading up to darkly tanned leggings which hug her form, but are not skin tight. She wears a deep green chemise which falls off of her shoulders, the elbow length sleeves tied snugly about her elbows. Over this is her hunting vest, made of thick tough hide, with ample pockets and a knife brace that sits against her right hip carrying 6 small throwing daggers. Around her hips hangs a heavy, too big sword belt and holds a longsword, the pommel of which is designed to look like dragon wings hewn of silver which wrap about the weilder's hand for protection. She also carries a long bow slung over her chest, and a quiver of 33 arrows on her back.

Persona:
Initially stand-offish and gruff, Artemisia makes friends slowly. But once she trusts and opens up she is quite a colorful person. Artemisia is quick to laugh, and quick to anger, loyal to a fault as well as logical. She works to understand, and seeks to make herself a part of the duality of nature, both nurturing and destructive. Growing up in the wilds has given her the ability to be callously objective when she must be, and a fairly good strategist, though she has no formal training. She spends two to four hours a day mediating and touching up her tattoos, and this is a very sacred thing for her.

Abilities:
Artemisia was a village Shaman before a spirit journey sent her into the populace of Adela.
Healing: Artemisia may heal others with intuitive use of the earth (plants, stones) and energy. Mild wounds take approximately 20 minutes, with major healing having the ability to take days, and leaving Artemisia exhausted and often ill herself. *She can ONLY heal others, not herself using this technique.
Empathy: Artemisia is a natural empath, often feeling and picking up on the emotions of other people, animals, and even plants. In very troubled times, Artemisia can be influenced so greatly by another's emotions as to react to them herself without realizing it.
Telepath: Telepathy is a skill Artemisia has always had, but until a year ago had not realized she could use and direct. She is skilled at communicating with animals and nature. Communicating with other humanoids though is very hard for her to do, often times she leaves her recipient with headaches and bloodied noses instead of whatever it was she sought to relay.
Feruchemy/Allomancy: Artemisia is able to both ingest and adorn herself with particular metals to gain their particular benefits. She is relatively unaware of her allomantic abilities. She uses her Feruchemy with her piercings to store her people's history, strength, health, speed etc. depending on the metal she wears, and only after going through periods of lacking such things in order to "charge" her metals. *Artemisia is able to heal herself using Feruchemy if she has imbued gold with her health.

Dreamwolf

It's all up to you, the longer the description though, the less likely people are to retain all the information. Speaking as an English tutor, you've got a good start, you could keep it as as, but you can always add additional details in your Character Catalog.

Click any of the characters in my sig to see the varying levels of detail. Rinata is my longest bio, where as Galen is my shortest

Winters-Feather

The answer: There is no such thing as too long, though there is (arguably) such a thing as too short. I have a mix of both ^.^;;

Here, your character sheets don't have to be fully fleshed out. (So, for example, if you don't have a history atm, you don't have to worry about it.) Still, character sheets are EXTREMELY useful tools for shaping your character and gives them boundaries.  So please put effort into them, though that reminder seems wasted on you, since you've clearly put  thought into this. :3 <3

What you labelled as 'identifiers' really fall under physical description, though  I guess you're fine.
Also by "equal opportunity lover' don't you just mean pansexual?

Also, what do you mean by the dragon flies? Are they actual dragon flies?  (because you mentioned she didn't have tattoos)

shadowandbone

Thanks for the speedy replies!
I don't really understand the Character Catalog...I'll have to look more into it, and will do so when I am done expressing my gratitude, Dreamwolf. I'm not terribly concerned with retention of her description, as I'd like to be able to let her evolve of her own free will in game, to some degree.

Winters-Feather: Like I said...I'm kinda stuck in draft mode with her...I list identifiers as an easy summary of markings, scars, and piercings to identify her by...And yes...because of that her physical desc is sort of short! >.<
For her dragonflies they are all henna (for lack of better wording). All of her "tattoos" or markings are made of plant-based pastes she uses to adorn herself with.
For her history...That will take some more work to get up and running...I've got an idea...but, well she's been a brat to paint fully.

As for sexuality, yes pansexual would be an appropriate term. I was thinking "bisexual" but then realized it was not a very good description, as Arte (in my mulling over her history and the type of character I'd like her to "grow up to be") could just as easily fall in love/lust with a tree-spirit as a man or woman...Thanks for the help capturing the right word!

GoblinFae

Heya!

An easy way to explain the Character Catalogs is by identifying them as a quick way to view all of a player's characters quickly. Some of us use them to be able to look up characters by location E.g. If I wanted to play with Winters but only in Adela I would find out who lived there.) Another way that some use it is to help let other players know who is and is not open for playing. It is unusual for players to have a single character in more than 1-3 threads at a time. I am a rarity in this and never say no and end up with 10 or so threads with a character >.<

You don't have to have a catalog, but for some it benefits in giving a quick overview of all your characters. I myself don't have one because I find it difficult to know exactly what information to give and what to just let others be linked to the actual character to see.

Also as Winters said don't worry about having all her history figured out. I personally find that if I try to give a lot of information when I start a character they enjoy rebelling against me doing completely different things. Give as little or as much information as you would like to see. Profiles really do become your own best friend especially as you start developing more characters. You will find if you don't know already just how much information you forget about someone until you reread their bio.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask ^.^

Happy Writing!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]