Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's a Beautiful Lie [GoblinFae]

Started by Kiri de Kismet, April 15, 2015, 04:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiri de Kismet

Lingering 'top the highest hill of the orphanage's plain, it was a child that noticed the caliginous shadow first, outstretching a shaking figure towards the ink black night. "A specter haunts," the lad murmured, but none were there to hear him but the whistling wind, which brought a breeze so blistering that the child swore it was stirred up from the underbelly of hell. In that moment, the lad shivered and blinked back his brown eyes, but the second he had was the second the specter fled — away  from this hill, and hopefully, away from this plain.

You couldn't call Dantalion sentimental, but there were some nights when the desidare kept the cold of the night wrapped tight around his form and stared up at that dilapidated orphanage, standing stubbornly on that wretched little hill. If you peeled back the layers of brick and mortar that kept it strong, there'd be nothing but hellfire remaining to its core; he knew this, but you didn't need a demon's intuition to know the face of corruption. Long years spent trawling this earth meant knowing its very scent and feel, how it crept into your bones if you were a tempting threat.

If you decorticated the desidare, you'd find he had just as much in common as that damned orphanage atop that damned hill. From sunrise to sunset, he was dressed to death — in regal jet blacks, from his hair to his nails, to his boots, to the coat with upturned collar that gave him a touch of class. In town, they called him Lord Nox: a dealer of gold and silvers under gleaming moonlight to useful souls, a philanthropist who raised up grieving souls, who kept company of both beggars and benefactors. He sleeps in shade, they knew, but we do not know his name.

This town — sleepy and innocent, yet dripping with the sin of humans who supped there — was under his thumb, as he was their enigmatic "Lord Nox" of Tylondale. None would find it odd, how those whom he'd dealt with would do whatever he'd asked of them, because who wouldn't feel indebted to a man who found a way to give worthy souls what they desired? None were sure if it was magic, but all were sure that it could not be explained. Dantalion spilled no secrets: it'd be such a human thing to do.

So when the sun set, the Mother of the orphanage stood waiting for him with a wide smile, her grey hair pulled back into as neat of a bun as she could manage, dress ironed of wrinkles to the best of her ability.

"Greetings, Lord Nox," she welcomed, taking his hand and shaking it firmly. "Please, come in. The children and I have been hoping you'd grace us with your presence." Her words were saccharine, but it was her eyes, gleaming with gold, that gave her position away. If Lord Nox visited, surely, it must mean money was involved.

His boots clicked onto the hardwood of the orphanage's floor, his coat nipping at the back of his heels. The black of his coat was accented with silver thread, cloaking the figure in midnight cloth. It was only his hands— fit with white gloves— that may have given him the appearance of a benefactor, but even then, there was a looming aura about him that was near unshakable. If the people of Tylondale looked past that, it was because he wore the mask of a saint, put on the show of a perfect prince. When they looked at him now, they'd see silver eyes as well; another part of his "ensemble," definitely not the eyes of a beast. 

So it was the children, who all looked at the Mother as if she were a demon, must've been herded into submission before his arrival. It would be simple, then — laughably simple — to find one who had a wish to make. Or better, one who wanted to contract him, whose contract would give him license enough to put this town behind him.

"As I'm sure they have," Dante said with a small smirk, shaking his head. "But you know it's not so simple. I don't give gold to institutions that aren't up to snuff." He rested his hands in the pocket of his coat as he said this, watching the woman's lower lip twitch in anxiety.

"The orphans here are well cared for," the Mother ensured, but the children — who were slowly slinking away from her, off to do anything else but stand at her side. "I assure you, Lord Nox, we're a reputable establishment."

"An easy claim to make." As Dantalion spoke, he grinned a little— forever amicable. "But you know what they say," he muttered, stepping further into the house, examining the cracks in the walls, the chipping paint, listening to the far off cries of squabbling children and tyrant toddlers. "Seeing is believing... no?"

The Mother was silent, and Dantalion chuckled under his breath. "A week," he told her. "I'll be staying a week, to see if your humble abode truly is as well run as you say. If I like what I see, the money will be yours to use for renovations." He fixed her a solid stare. "And if it's not, well..." The dark-haired desidare shrugged. "It'll be hard to keep this place afloat, wouldn't it?"

"It would indeed." The Mother pursed her lips, but said nothing more.

She lead him to the guest room— to a room perched on the third floor, one that oversaw the highest hill of the orphanage's plain. The room was small, albeit cozy and worn, as if someone had once lived here long ago— someone who hadn't been your run of the mill orphan. A week— that should be ample time to find someone with a strong enough will to contract him, someone who wanted his power to the extent that they'd let him feed off their very soul. Who better than an orphan— one who'd been knocked down and out, ignored by all the world?

"Send one of your girls up with some tea for me, if you would," he told the Mother, resting his satchel down on the bed. Dante turned silver eyes towards her, contemplative. "Black tea, if you would. Darjeeling, preferably. Tell her not to dally."

The Mother nodded, leaving Dante alone in the quaint room. The desidare pulled a chair up and sat by the window, silver eyes staring out at the hill that hugged the edge of the orphanage. He let his fingers rest on the window sill, watched the sky turn grey with clouds that threatened to pour— the oncoming storm, as if the heavens itself had learned of his resurfacing. He laughed to himself, a small chuckle under his breath, and listened on as thunder rumbled in the distance.

Alea iact est. The die is cast. 

GoblinFae

Small hands, cracked, bleeding and pruned from working in the cold water for several hours now, furiously scrubbed another set of dishes. With the morning meal just consumed by the last of the children and the orphanage's supposed benefactor on his way, the staff, as short-handed as they were, had no choice but to step up the pace in their work. The Mother would be considerate of no one. Already, those in the kitchen began to cringe and work faster as they heard her heavy footsteps on the stairs above the meagerly stocked pantry.

Willow, the youngest of the scullery maids at only age five, attempted to hide herself between the wash basin and Kailee's somewhat taller body. If only her white skirt did not manage to peek out past the kitchen maid's own pair of suede pants. The sight of both though sent the Mother into yet another one of her furies. Willow whimpered; Kailee ignored her.

"He's here and what do I find all of you doing but dwaddling and moving the pace of snails. Honestly, the amount of work I put into this place and the amount of money I spend to employ all of you, why it's outrageous I tell you! Willow quit your incessant sniveling and make up the tea tray. You mustn't keep him waiting girl. Well what do you think you're doing? Move!"

Rounding on the young woman now, the Mother gripped Kailee's shoulder brutally, forcing her to turn and face her. "As for you, you have been told time and time again to dress in proper attire. I will not stand for this! You are a horrible example for the children and a disgrace to all that see you. You drag the good name of this place in the mud for all that see you remember that you started out here. Never forget that Kailee, without me you would be nowhere! You are nothing without me. Make sure you don't leave this kitchen or else! I will not have Lord Nox seeing such a disgraceful sight. Why he might choose to no longer support us and it would be all because of you. Pray for your sake that is not the case or out on your ear you shall go! Am I-"

A crash broke her ranting as a very pale and shaking Willow scrambled to collect the broken shards of porcelain and hide from the Mother's gaze all at the same time. "You worthless ninny! Why I ought to-"

"You ought to do nothing Mother Goodwin," Kailee finally spoke, her voice soft but firm. "Save pray the Lord has not heard you. Cookie will be returning soon. In the meantime I will see to it that this mess is cleaned up and his Lordship is attended to. Willow, discard those pieces in the rubbish bin and stoke the fire," she directed before returning a defiant gaze to the older woman, "Good day Mother Goodwin."

With an indignant huff the woman stormed out, most likely on her way to terrorize some other children into submission. The threat of the head cook returning normally would have been enough to send her on her way but it seemed the tension of having the orphanage's benefactor close at hand made her bolder.

Moving quickly, Kailee soon calmed the young girl and helped her set up a new tray before sending her own her way just as Cookie breezed in a moment later. One look at the rubbish bin from her sent a brow up into her hairline as she silently commanded an explanation from her assistant.

"She was here and set the little one off again. Apparently He's here and she is about to bring the roof down again. I just hope Willow can bring the tea up without dropping it again. We'll never hear the end of it," she muttered under her breath near the end, as she dried the last pan. Turning around to face the table, her heart stopped in shock for a moment at finding the teacup she had set aside for Willow was still sitting there. One look told her that Cookie had noticed it as well and was fighting to keep laughter from her face. The two of them had a soft spot for Willow, being that she was the smallest of the orphans and the sweetest, but the poor girl had nerves of glass and a memory to match.

Taking the servant's steps two at a time, the kitchen maid hurried to catch up to the wisp of a girl before she was able to bring tea to the Lord. The quiet squeaking and distinct rattling of the tea warned her to hurry faster as when she did at last burst into the room, Kailee was just in time to catch the precariously tilting tray as little Willow attempted to both curtsy and hold the cumbersome platter. Wide blue eyes met her own warm verdant pair.

"Careful Will," she whispered as together they genuflected before the Lord Nox and returned the tray to the small table beside him. Kailee tried her hardest to keep her gaze low. As it was she was breaking a whole set of rules by being up here and within sight of the lord. Everything about her appearance said boy, from her clothes and short haircut to her rather flat chest and boyish features.

A single arrow fear lanced through both the girls' hearts though as the heavy footsteps of the Mother trudged their way closer to their current location. Both became a flurry of action as one tried to leave and the other to finish the task assigned to her.

"Your tea my lord," squeaked out Willow between pale lips as she shakily attempted to lift the heavy pot and pour a cup.

Torn between helping and fleeing, Kailee watched with great concern as her own assistant struggled to fulfill the task at hand. Her own hide be damned, if it meant helping Willow then she would stay. She just hoped it would not come to that.

'Maybe he will think I am just a boy and that will be the end of that. Please don't ask anything of me. Please don't force me to give myself away. Oh Willow, hurry dear. Don't spill it on him! Oh child, please be careful,' Kailee silently prayed, fearfully. The last thing she needed was a reason to have the overly bullied little girl taken from her protective care and returned to the tasks she used to do before.

In the back of her mind every footfall was an executioner's axe being raised time and time again above her neck in preparation for the final swing. The only question was, which breath was going to be her proverbial last.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Kiri de Kismet

When Dantalion had asked for one of the girls to bring him a cup of tea, the last thing he had expected was for a small child to be sent to him. This child was perhaps— ah, he was bad at human ages, truly— eight, perhaps? Or ten? Maybe less! And here she stood, with an older girl hovering over her, perhaps praying to some unknown god that the tea would stay still in the cup, her little hands shaking as the kettle rumbled in her grasp.

The High Demon's gold-flecked eyes roamed over the two, shaking his head lightly. As he sat in this high-backed, ornate chair, looking out over La'marri's rolling landscape, there were times (times like these, truly) when he wondered when humans would cease to amaze him. He had heard of this orphan's caretaker being a callous, careless woman— but to send a young creature to do a serving girl's job— or a maid's, perhaps— was quite pathetic and sad of her, really.

He outstretched a hand towards the young girl, placing a hand gently over hers. "Give it here, child," he instructed, taking the kettle up himself. He took the half-filled teacup in the other hand, placing it on the table next to him, pouring the Darjeeling steadily himself.

The Mother had sent him petite girls— both fragile in their own ways, he surmised, by the looks of them. The young one, how her hands had shook when pouring a simple couple. And the older, how she watched this one like a protective hawk, perched in her nest up above. Truly, it was for the elder girl's sake that he had taken the tea kettle; by the look on her face, it seemed she might burst from anxiety over the ordeal.

"Does the mother always send children to do the work of older girls?" Dantalion asked, gold-flecked eyes focusing on the elder girl's. He sat back in his chair, nursing his cup of tea. "One would think she'd be kind enough to let this little one have some semblance of a childhood, at least..."

GoblinFae

Kailee caught his stare, green fire momentarily flashing within the depths of her eyes before she lowered her gaze, shuttering her eyes and her emotions from him as she did so. It was little Willow though who responded to his question with all the innocence and brightness of the child that she was.

"For every hour of play, two more should be spent in work so that a child may grow to become a useful asset to society instead of another spoiled brat," she recited easily, her hands behind her back as she rocked slightly on her heels with a smile of victory at remembering the words of Mother Goodwin whom she was parroting back.

Then as she remembered to whom she was speaking, she ceased her movement, her eyes widening in shy embarrassment as Willow squeaked out a hurried "sorry, Lord Nox," at her own believed insolence.

Despite the sound of the matron of the orphanage entering the room and gasping at the unorthodox sight of Kailee where she should not be, the older girl placed a reassuring hand on Willow's shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Oh Lord Nox I see you received your tea!" the true demon of the orphanage declared in a sickly sweet tone as she sidled up to stand beside Kailee. "I hope it is to your liking. Please do forgive the girls. They are usually so much better behaved," she continued casting a displeased look Kailee's way though the young woman's only reaction to allow the hand on Willow's shoulder to slide protectively across the little girl's front and pull her closer to herself. "I suppose it's the price for keeping older girls long past when they should have left. They stir up all kinds of trouble with the young ones. But you must not let the behaviors of a few reflect poorly on the institution as a whole. Aside from our little hiccups," she waved again towards the silent pair of girls, "everything runs quite smoothly here all thanks to your generosity of course."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Kiri de Kismet

Dantalion raised a slender brow at Willow's response, shocked to hear such a jaded idea slip from a child's lips.

In truth, he could not remember his own childhood— perhaps that was the bane of a demon's existence, to be borne into this world as an adult, to forever be burdened with responsibility and resilience— but if there was one thing he admired about humans, it was human children. Curious, innocent creatures, they knew not evil emotions; typically, their hearts were pure, unblemished with ugly feelings of selfishness, greed and hate.

They were malleable, like earthy clay: a child given to a human with a blessed heart could grow up to be just as charitable and chaste as those who raised her. But a child given to a wretch could grow to mirror her only role model, all the same. To taint a child was to blacken another soul in this already pitch-black, perfect eigengrau darkness that was this sad, small world. One could call it the most pitiful crime to commit in this universe.

"And it was Mother Goodwin who told you this, hm?" Dantalion asked, tilting his head. "Do not apologize, child. You've enlightened me."

As if on cue, in came Mother Goodwin, gushing on about the girls— apologizing for them (what was there to apologize for, he wondered?), sneering at the elder girl, who apparently should have left (and where would she go then, he wondered?), and implying that the elder girl was badly behaved (but if not for her, who would take care of this little one, he wondered?). Her vaudeville act was hard to watch, so Dantalion set his cup of tea down on the side table, standing at his full height.

When he stood— his full six feet in height— most humans had to look up to him. Pair that with his dark locks, his dark attire, and piercing gold eyes, well... most humans made a practice of taking a few steps back when in his presence. He blinked down at Mother Goodwin, assessing the witch's posture, the greed that shone in her eyes.

"You say there are 'hiccups' here at your home... Would you care to describe them for me?" the Arbiter asked. "I've seen plenty already, but something tells me that we aren't on the right page. Tell me, what's your philosophy on child labor?"

With a few careful steps, he stepped in front of Willow, bending down to her level. He gently took her hands in his, turning them over to reveal dry, cracked skin— hands rubbed raw and red from scrubbing dishes clean. "Do you see her hands? Do you think it natural for a young girl to not have paint or child's clay caked on her hands, but instead, badges of bustling busywork?"

He narrowed his eyes up at Mother Goodwin. "Is this 'normal' to you?"

GoblinFae

As the man rose to his full height the young child in the room could not help but gasp quietly in awe as she craned her head back to stare up at him. At her current height, Willow came up only to about mid-thigh on him and yet while Kailee was ready to curl herself around the younger girl and yank her away, Willow wanted nothing more than to bask in his dark presence like a warm blanket.

It took everything she had not to faint as he took her hands in his though Willow did look up questioningly at the older girl whose grip intensified possessively across her chest. Kailee's green eyes flashed once more at the noble demon in warning should he wish to harm Willow. The thought that he could harm her person just as easily never even crossed her mind with only the child's best interest weighing heavily upon her own.

Beside the girls though Mother Goodwin's mind was reeling as she hurried to save herself from utter ruin all the while cursing Kailee for her presence as the young woman must have said something to incriminate her unjustly. There was simply no other explanation for the sudden accusations at least in the old hag's mind.

"Milord, you misunderstand! While your generosity has used to its fullest and very gratefully received and accepted, harsh storms have left us unable to fully repair all the leaking roofs. We have tried to keep the children in the warmer and less moist and drafty parts of the orphanage but space is limited and they are not always the most obedient of girls.

"As for the children working well as a rule when they are older, they are expected to yes partake in some chores around the place just as any other up-and-coming adult must learn to do so before spreading their wings and moving on from the nest," she chattered one with a bright smile. "Young Willow here however has taken a particular liking to spending her free time assisting in the kitchens and given that it does no real harm to her I saw no reason to stop her. If any form of abuse has come to our dear little one then the blame must rest with our cook or her lazy kitchen maid. Shall I begin making inquires, milord? You're right of course in wishing to get to the bottom of this. It is only a shame that should something truly be wrong that young Willow did not feel she could come to me about it. The poor dear must be too afraid of retribution being taken out on her.

"Is that the case Willow? Are you afraid of someone hurting you?" the woman immediately asked rounding on the young child in such a way that caused her back away and step on Kailee's shoes in her rush to make herself invisible. Willow could only stutter in surprise as she turned wary and questioning eyes up to Kailee in search of a proper answer. The look did not go unnoticed by Goodwin though as she immediately rushed to point it out to Dantalion.

"See milord as the poor dear cowers other the wretched girl's gaze? She can't even answer the question without fear of punishment!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Kiri de Kismet

"It seems to me, Mother Goodwin, that she is cowering under your gaze."

Dantalion merely raised a brow, standing upright once again. While her claims of harsh storms ravaging the area were not something he could debunk at this moment (granted, he was almost positive it was a lie, given Mother Goodwin's... disposition), one need not be a High Demon to know that the mistress of the house was the one who was terrorizing the children.

If anything— the girl who clutched onto the young girl possessively, her green eyes watching him suspiciously, as Eve watched the serpent slithering through her garden. He only grinned up at her nonchalantly, neither affirming nor negating her suspicions. Truly, humans could sometimes be intelligent creatures: while Mother Goodwin was the confirmed threat here, he, as Lord Nox, was an unknown entity. Like a true mother watching over her daughter, this one seemed to know to watch him— to garner whether he was friend or foe.

Gold eyes turned towards the Mother once more. "You bore me, Goodwin. I'd take your leave swiftly from this place, lest I decide to revoke my gifts from this orphanage immediately." It was a bluff— as taking funds from the orphanage may hurt the children more than Goodwin— but it was all Dantalion could do to remove the crone of a woman from his presence.

He brushed his hands towards her in a 'shooing' motion, not even bothering to look her in the eye. "I think these two girls would be able to tell me more about the orphanage's conditions, anyway. They may be candid with me, while you, Goodwin, well..." He laughed, shaking his head. "Your tongue is coated in silver and brimstone."

GoblinFae

The mother of the house if she could even be called such a thing recoiled in fear as the dark lord rose once more to his full height and turned his displeasure her way. With several quick excuses and apologies she was soon scuttling her way out of the room but not before casting one last meaningful and scathing glare Kailee's way as she closed the door.

The young woman as well drew back away from him offering a deep bow before she began to make her way towards the door to exit, expecting the little girl to follow her directed lead. Willow on the other hand was having none of it. She continued to stare up at the tall man before her in awe and once free of Kailee's securing arm, broke free to stand nearly toe to toe with him while craning her neck back to look him in the eye.

"Would you like some more tea, Lord Nox?" she piped up, her hands clasped behind her back as she rocked slightly on her heels. "Or some cookies or something sweety to go with it?" Kailee froze by the door as she looked over her shoulder at the beaming little girl.

Breaking her silence at last, she sighed under her breath before beckoning the child back to her. "Come Willow," Kailee all but whispered softly, "we should not bother him so. His lordship must have a great many things to do. It would be best not to waste his time," she called further, avoiding looking at the man as she kept her verdant eyes trained on the child instead.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Kiri de Kismet

Thankfully, the mother did not put up a fight about leaving, which made things easier on Dantalion. Honestly, one of the most unattractive traits a human could garner was the inability to realize that they weren't wanted in a room.

As the old crone scuttled out of his quarters, it was only then that he realized that the young girl— whose hands he'd cradled earlier— was staring up at him rather strangely. He raised a brow at her, curious; truly, children had never paid him much mind before, except to scuttled in the opposite direction as quickly as possible. Most of the time, children could sense the chaotic compounds that made up his soul, and the lust that stirred inside him that drove Dante to ultimately steal souls away.

But it seemed like the elder girl would have none of it, as she attempted to whisk the young one away. Dantalion raised a hand out towards him, eyes wide. "Wait just a moment," he ordered; and in his voice rang the authority of supreme order, of a being who had been ordained as a supreme Judge hundreds of thousands of years ago. When Dantalion spoke, often humans felt compelled to obey. As if to deny were to sin against the very salt of the earth.

"And why do you think I ordered Goodwin out of this room, hm?" he asked with a tilt of his head. "I may not look it, but I am a benefactor of this orphanage. As a benefactor, I want what's best for these creaky floors and paper-thin walls..." He gestured towards a set of chairs in the room that were positioned close to his. "Sit, if you wish. And no, young one— I needn't cookies; not today."

He turned his gold eyes towards Kailee.  Already, he could tell— her soul must be a speckled sort; one that had to struggle to wish the best of people when living under a tyrant. Perhaps she sought to protect this young one from the Mother, all while gritting her teeth under Goodwin's "gracious" glares. She would do, for today. A taste of her soul might satisfy him.

"Tell me. If you had one wish for this orphanage, what would it be?"

GoblinFae

Willow looked somewhat disappointed at his declaration but nevertheless moved to stand in front of an offered chair, refusing to sit until the nobleman did. Kailee on the other hand turned to fully face Dantalion but made no other move to approach him.

She knew exactly who he was and his speech only made her eyes narrow slightly and her brows twitch with confused curiosity. Despite her open and caring heart skepticism still lurked beneath the surface and she could not help but wonder at what game the man before her was playing at. Surely he wanted something out of her. The question was simply what.

"With all due respect sir, no amount of money could buy the wish I would desire. If I had my way this place wouldn't even exist as it would mean every child had a home where they were loved to grow up in," she answered him levelly. Her eyes drifted away from his for a moment in quiet thought as her features remained schooled in an expression of resigned acceptance. "It is not my place to make wishes," Kailee said at last. "It's my place to work. Mother Goodwin is already displeased with me. It would not do to further upset her. Is there something more I can do for your sir? Or shall I be on my way?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Kiri de Kismet

Is there something more I can do for your sir? Or shall I be on my way?

A small frown formed on Dantalion's features at her jaded words. Truly, what did he expect? Should an orphan girl really take the time to speak of her hopes and dreams with a strange "aristocrat"? Well, yes— from the Arbiter's point of view, there was really no reason not to just humor him with a response, even if it was a glib one. Unless she knew of anyone else with the power to turn her grim living conditions around, then Dantalion was stumped as to how she could look a gift horse in the mouth.

"Oh, forgive me," Dantalion began, placing one hand on his hip. "I had pegged you as someone who truly cared about this orphanage. Apparently, I was mistaken. Your situation won't be changed by kotowing to Mother Goodwin's every whim. Sometimes you need the help of spark from someone greater than yourself to move the cogs in a complex machine."

He removed his hand from his hip now, shooing her away. "However, if you'd rather play saint, feel free. Your duties are calling you, I presume?"

GoblinFae

Kailee raised her chin in defiance, her gaze narrowing and her shoulders squaring as if to do battle. "And I suppose you believe that just because you have money and an old name of power therefore that makes you better than me? When did grand gestures and empty promises become more fruitful than the efforts of countless days and nights filled with blood, sweat, and tears? Never again mistake my attitude concerning this place as anything less than devotion for the wards within its crumbling walls. If I bite my tongue it is only to protect those that would not have a home should I be cast out. Therefore, forgive me sir if I do not waste precious time humoring your little fantasies of granting wishes but I have met enough old men who come here in search of a youthful bed-warmer and am wise to your game. You are wasting your time," she informed him boldly before adding, "and mine."

Her chest heaved with the effort to breathe after her little speech as her heart hammered against her ribs like a frightened rabbits. Never once did she allow her gaze to falter though as Kailee stood her ground. Too many years of pent up frustration and rage at Goodwin and her ilk had been dragged to the surface and only a fraction of it had been spewed out towards the tall demon. Every word she spoke had been truthful. Kailee wanted all the best for the children of the orphanage and would fight to the death tooth and nail if she had to see they were taken care of. While her heart was young and hopeful, her exterior defense was jaded by the hardships of work and cruel, lecherous men. She would not allow another such man to ingratiate himself into their folds, benefactor or not, Kailee would keep Willow and the others safe.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Kiri de Kismet

It had been quite some time since he'd run into a human who hesitated to confide in him, to whisper their worthless secrets in his ear— as he was sure they'd do to anyone who would listen to their plight. They were all the same, humans. Burdened with too much for their mortal shoulders to carry, they sought help wherever they could— anything to ease their heavy load. But this human girl, she'd rather bite back 'gainst any hand that dare attempt to feed her. For a moment, a cloud of darkness shrouded his face— did she not know who he was, what he offered?

And then— ah! Of course she didn't. He'd been too vague, speaking in faerie tale jargon; hinting at wishes and promises, when she'd lived in a monochrome world that hadn't offered her any. To her, he was some ignorant, easily amused overlord who'd come to play with throwaway toys, and the orphanage was just another one of his ventures. They called him Lord Nox in these parts, after all! And when he remembered that, the dark cloud shifted from his features, and he chuckled to himself.

"Forgive me," he said, shaking his head. "I've been vague. You've got the wrong idea."

With a swish of his hand, a lone candle that had been sitting innocently on the edge of his desk, 'cross the room, was snuffed out. In his palm, he held a tiny flame— the light he'd stolen from the candle, warming his palm. "I'm no lord who sees your plight as a game, child. I'm a wish granter, here to find a human worthy of using my power. If any human suffers— if any human is worthy of this magic— it is those under Mother Godwin's thumb." He used his thumb to snuff out the fire, and the room went darker, growing colder.

"When I asked you of your wishes, I didn't inquire for amusement's sake," he clarified, his voice growing much softer. "I asked because I am the only person in these parts who can see that wish come true."

GoblinFae

Kailee stared on in wide-eyed and disturbed fear. His actions did little to comfort her and instead set her more on edge and had her taking a half-step backwards. If Willow had not been in the room then she most certainly would have bolted and never looked back. But the little girl's presence kept her glued to the rug for fear of abandoning the child to the unveiled monster's cruel intentions.

Willow on the other hand had bounced herself right out of her seat in awe at his magic trick. Her hands clapped excitedly before she rushed the tall man, pulling his hand that had held the flame down so that she could inspect it. Her calloused fingers danced over the palm of his hand, marveling at the lack of a burn or even heat while her older counterpart watched on in horror.

Suddenly coming to her senses, Kailee practically launced herself across the room, she moved so quickly and snatched up the little girl's hand, forcing the small child behind her as she herself stood toe to toe with the orphanage's benefactor.

"I don't make deals with devils," she venomously hissed into his face in a quiet voice that only he would be able to hear. Kailee was so very afraid but also uncaring of the consequences as long as it kept the little girl safe. She had sacrificed so much of her life for the children that were growing up exactly as she had in hopes of giving them the life she always dreamed of and had long since felt she should give up on.

"Come Willow," she urged tightly. "Lord Nox has other business to attend to. It would not be in our interest to detain him further." Even as Kailee turned to lead the younger child out of the room she ensured her body was kept as a shield between the two at all times.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]