Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Night's Hunt

Started by miss_sanguine, February 16, 2012, 08:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss_sanguine

The night was young, the sun having set only an hour ago, but the cat had no guestimation of time, nor did anything matter once the shadows came out to play. Something in her feline body came alive when the great, glowing moon showed its shining face amid the stars overhead, made her blood run faster and her body feel more lithe.

Tonight was a good night to hunt. The air blew fresh through her fur, along her nose, bringing with it smells of all kinds. She could hear everything that moved, every rustling leaf in a tree, every scratching claw on the earth beneath her paws. What she focused on the most, however, was the mouse scurrying some inches away near the wall she crouched on. She could not see it, but its scent was more powerful and more telling than anything her eyes would ever give her. She could hear its heartbeat humming on the air.

It had no chance for living. It did not even have time to give a final squeak before she pounced on it, grabbing its neck in her fastening jaws and breaking it in one clean bite. A rush of warmth flooded her mouth, a glorious taste of blood spilling over her tongue and down her throat.

Pride filled her as quickly as the blood had come, as it did with every kill she made. She was a great hunter, she knew. No other cat could claim to have killed a mouse in so little time, with such efficiency.

But here on the wall of the city was no place for the queen of cats to eat her night's meal. She lifted her head, eyes gleaming like moons. Her prize dangled from her mouth.

With a flick of her tail, she leapt from the wall, front paws cushioning her landing, no noise made whatsoever, another thing she that pleased her.

Another sound, out of place, caught her attention. Her head turned in the direction, ears forward. A person. Not Monnayage, but still someone. This was her lucky day. Surely this person would praise her for her good catch. She deserved it. Monnayage never liked seeing her bring him dead animals. He praised her and acted the way she wanted him to, but she knew how he really felt. He was squeamish.

This person wouldn't be. This person would want to see the mouse she had caught. It was big and wonderful.

Giving a muffled meow, she padded over toward where she knew the person to be, and found a young human female. Maneki eyed her cautiously before approaching, mewing again through her mouthful, trying to get the girl's attention as she dug around in the earth for an unseen reason.

GoblinFae

Nimble fingers plunged into warm, soft earth. Ladybird hardly noticed the setting sun as she worked to replant one of her newest flora additions. 'This will look so lovely come winter. Cold weather flowers are always the most wonderful things on those bitter days.'

"Oh," she exclaimed softly in surprise to the soft meow. A warm smile lit up her face and eyes as she noticed the small feline. "Hello beautiful," the woman greeted, inclining her head. "What brings you to my humble garden?" She giggled softly seeing the caught mouse. "Oh I see, did you catch one of my other visitors? That is quite the prize catch. You must be the best mouser I have ever seen. Thank you for your help!"

Ladybird sat back on her heels to continue speaking to the tawny cat. She kept her tone soft and far from condescending. Every word spoken was truly meant, as if the cat would respond back in kind. "Do you have a pet human, little hunter? Best be careful with those, foolish things always like to wander off. We need smart beings such as yourself to keep us in line. Although, maybe you are better off without one. Humans are so much work to care for as pets.

Within her mind, Fern's thoughts began to stir. ~You have no idea,~ his voice interjected. 'Go back to sleep, Fern. I'll wake you up when we get back inside.' The small snake sent her the impression of a warm fire before settling back down. Ladybird briefly brushed the fingers of her left hand across the thick dark blue band wrapped around her right wrist. What appeared to be an intricate bracelet was actually her dearest friend and companion, Fern. The male loved to curl himself about her wrist and fall asleep, his head curled close to the palm of her hand and hidden from view.

"Your fur looks so soft. May I pet you, little hunter?" she asked holding her left hand out in an inviting manner. Her fingers were loosely cupped with her palm facing up in a sign of openness. Experience had taught her to let animals come to her, rather than her go to them. While she welcomed all, she would not force her own wishes on any of them.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

miss_sanguine

It'd started as a usual night: Maneki wandering off the moment the sun had set to hunt, him ambling through the dark streets of his hometown with no purpose but to move. Not a hunter himself, he still got the nocturnal urging to be active at night. Tonight was no exception.

The evening air blew tepid across his face and through his hair. Autumn had arrived, but it had not brought its brisk chill with it yet. Even the moon, normally just a pale glow in the sky, seemed to give off warmth this night, its glow so bright in its fullness that Kabe felt he might as well be walking out on a cloudy day--the sun merely hidden. Of course, it helped that he had excellent night vision, courtesy of Maneki.

Most of his neighbors were in their homes, lantern lights shining out through their opened windows. They paid no heed to the sound of someone walking past their dwelling space, their spirited laughter with their families covering any sounds his lithe feet might have made on the cobblestones.

It felt good to be back home. Featherfall wasn't near as big or rich as Arca, yet it felt more of a home to him than any other. The people were friendly, the streets barren of crime. He could blend in, no one ever having to know he was a noble, never having to know how rich he was. It was a nice change.

Monnayage stopped under a young aspen, inhaling the earth-rich air with a smile. Everything felt so incredible, so nice, so . . . lively. The hand running up and down his spine and sometimes through the fur on his head, the compliments toward his great hunt, made this moment absolutely divine--

Wait. What?

He opened his eyes. The streets were quiet, only the sound of the wind through the leaves his companion.

Maneki. Someone was petting Maneki, praising her, feeding the pride that was already too big for the cat's body.

So. His cat had made a friend.

Smiling, he followed the invisible string that forever attached him to his familiar, a thread of light in his mind.

And there she was. Being petted by a young woman--a beautiful young woman. The moon's glow enhanced her beauty, sending shadows across her face and bodice, making her skin bloom under its light.

He folded his arms, one brow lifting in amusement as Maneki went on completely oblivious to his presence. He cleared his throat. "I see you've found my cat, lovely lady," he said as he stepped forward out of the shadows.

GoblinFae

For the second time that night, Ladybird was surprised by another presence in her garden. She arched her brow at him, slightly inclining her head in greeting. "So this is your pet, little hunter," she whispered to the cat, scratching it behind its dark ears.

She moved fluidly to her feet, brushing her hands off on her skirts. "Your cat? Hardly. You belong to the cat, not the other way around." Ladybird offered him a small smile, eying him coolly. "Can I help you, sir? Or is it only the fine little hunter you are looking for?" Her hands folded in front of her, right over left.

In the palm of her right hand she could feel Fern getting grumpy as he nuzzled his head against her. 'Be still Fern. Most people don't like you.' She could practically hear the huffing in her head. ~All the more reason to move. I don't like him skulking around the garden like that. What if he wants to hurt the flowers?~

Ladybird's lips twitched at her familiar's words. 'Glad to know you have your priorities straight, Fern. The flowers? Really? Shouldn't you be more concerned about me?' The snake wisely kept silent.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

miss_sanguine

Charmed by her cool attitude, and slightly taken up in pleasure by her continued petting of Maneki, all he could do was keep his position, brow still arched. "I guess it depends on how you look at the situation," he said casually. He shrugged casually, throwing the topic onto something else. "And I had come looking for m--ah--the, what did you call her? Fine little hunter? But my quest brought me to a pleasant surprise and I find myself caught up in it."

When he'd stepped a little closer, he bowed, low and elegant. "The name's Monnayage Mint, young miss. And you might be?" Considering he'd lived here for some time, it came as a surprise to him that he did not recognize this beautiful moonbeam.

Maneki, no longer receiving the praise she'd been enjoying, had moved on to eating her catch one dainty bite at a time. Monnayage tried to ignore the ghastly sight in the corner of his vision.

<Must you do that when I'm talking to someone?> he asked.

<No better time,> the cat responded without much interest.

GoblinFae

"Quite the little charmer, isn't he? Does he fancy himself a snake?" Ladybird had to fight the urge to roll her eyes at Fern's commentary. 'Hush you, he's cute.'

"How cute can you be with a name like Mint? Is he edible?"

'Fern!' Unable to hold her laughter in, she was forced to cough to cover her giggles. "Mint?" she finally asked, calming down. "Ask him. Ask him!"

'I'm not asking that. Now hush!' She surreptitiously ran her hand along the snake's smooth blue scales before continuing. "How fortuitous that I have a mint settle himself in my garden. If you're not careful, you may just suddenly sprout and take root." Smiling, Ladybird brushed her hands off on her skirt, wishing her hands weren't covered in so much dirt. "You may call me Petal, everyone else does."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

The quirk of her lips and sudden coughing made him, once again, lift a brow. He knew a hidden laugh when he saw one. Despite people thinking that a random cough over nothing could cover something as obvious as laughter, they failed to realize how silly it was.

Was there something funny about his name? Or was it that he had bowed to her?

Either way, the sound of her little coughs enchanted him. From where he stood he could smell this woman's earthy scent amid the other smells of her various plants.

"Ah, Petal." He straightened. "Not a befitting name for one as beautiful as yourself. You are more than a mere petal, you are an entire rose. But if everyone calls you Petal, then so shall I." Glancing around at the plants and avoiding looking at his cat as she ate her disgusting night's meal, he asked, "Why are you gardening in the middle of the night? Wouldn't it make more sense to do this during the day?"

GoblinFae

"If you must know, Petal is not my real name. But, it is my preferred one." Ladybird was not pleased at having her name belittled in her own garden by some flirty stranger. Lips pursed and arms crossed she continued to address him. "Tell me Mr. Mint do you often enter private gardens and needlessly harass their occupants? Or am I just an exception? If that is the case, you are free to leave. I do not need you here."

Dismissing him, she turned and dropped back to her knees where she was digging. Smiling, Ladybird stroked behind the cat's ears, praising the "fine little hunter." Still ignoring the man in her vicinity, she dug her fingers back into the earth, creating a small hole for the plant she was repotting. Around her wrist, Fern began to move and hiss irritably. "Cans I bites him now? He mades you mad." Feeling it necessary to defend his "pet," the little snake quickly unfurled himself from around her wrist.

'No you may not bite him. Hey! Fern, get b-Fern!' Trying to catch her little guardian was proving harder than expected. His small size and dark back scales made it hard for Ladybird's weak human eyes to see him against the dark soil. "Fern!" she hissed out quietly, but desperately. 'Get back here you little worm! You are going to get me in trouble!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

Choosing to drop his formal demeanor, Monnayage smiled. She had snap to her, a little bird whose feathers fluffed at the slightest provocation. But he hadn't meant to offend her, only compliment. This type required a different kind of courting.

"My apologies," he said. "I didn't mean to intrude on your gardening. As I said, I came looking for Maneki, my familiar. She often gets herself into trouble, and I had to make sure she wasn't doing it again." At this insult, the cat glared up at him, eyes likes little moons and tongue cleaning her lips of blood.

In the darkness Monnayage saw the shadowed shape on Petal's wrist move and then slither along on the ground. He saw the girl fumble for it, missing.

Cat-like instincts made him want to pounce, to play with this strange moving thing, but he reigned in and simply stared, eyes not leaving it. Maneki, on the other hand, had no such control, and had lost all interest in her half-eaten meal, eyes following the animal with such intensity that he wouldn't be surprised if it burst into flame. From the corner of his eye, he saw her muscles tense, tail curling behind her as it did when ready to attack.

<Maneki,> he warned, pushing his own control onto her. <I don't think your new friend would appreciate it if you did that.>

"Friend of yours?" he asked aloud, focus still on the dark figure moving toward him on the soil.

GoblinFae

"Wha-" Catching Monnayage's gaze, Ladybird followed it to her slithering familiar. "Fern!" she yelled snatching him up behind the jaw muscles. Turning the wee snake to face her she glared at him. "You stupid little worm! Are you trying to die? You could have been stepped on!"

"I was just protecting you. No need to get your skin in a twist. Now let me go. I'm going to bites him."

"Not on your life. You may not bite him or her, Fern! Are you listening to me?"

"No," he hissed back. Relaxing in Ladybird's grip, he recoiled around her wrist the moment she let him go. Still glaring down at the snake, she made sure to have a firm grip on him before looking up again.

"I apologize for that. It seems we do have something in common afterall. My familiar, Fern seems to have been trying to get himself into his own spot of trouble. Although, I do not know what you are complaining about, Maneki? Maneki is a very well behaved feline. I would gladly trade for her any day." Fern gave an angry hiss but, quieted as Ladybird gently pet his smooth scales. "At least yours is beautiful and useful. Mine is just a lazy slug."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

He couldn't say that he didn't question the girl's sanity when she plucked up the what he now realised was a snake and proceeded to scold it like a mother would a disobedient child. His gaze traveled from serpent to angry girl, back and forth, as a one-sided argument went on between them, the came to rest permanently on Petal.

Whatever had happened, it'd worked in some way or another, because the snake--Fern, as Petal called it--relaxed and curled up around her wrist once more.

Then the word "familiar" was mentioned and it dawned on him so quickly he felt the urge to smack himself in the forehead for not having realized it right away. Of course! One couldn't blame him, though, as he'd not met many people with familiars besides distant relatives, which is where he'd got the idea in the first place.

He was lucky, he became aware, that he'd stopped Maneki from killing the thing.

Monnayage almost choked as Petal continued speaking. "Well-behaved?" he repeated, incredulous. "Hardly. She's a cat. And I wouldn't go as far to say she's useful, unless you enjoy having dead animals brought to you on a nightly basis." Teasing, of course, but he beamed under the hard glare the cat gave him as she lowered her ears in offense. "Can't say I'd be too interested in a trade, anyway. Not fond of snakes, really. No offense."

GoblinFae

Ladybird stared at Monnayage as if trying to see straight through him. "I don't know what you see in him," she directed to the cat. Petting and stroking the cat's head, she continued speaking. "She's a hunter, Mr. Mint. We eat; she eats; that's life. If you don't like that, you should not have chosen a cat as your familiar. But, no offense taken. Fern doesn't like you either."

"I didn't says that!"
'You tried to bite him. You didn't have to say anything.'
"I tries to bites everyone. Finish your plantings. I's cold!"

Rolling her eyes and absent-mindedly petting her own familiar, the young botanist hurried to finish her task. Standing up again, she addressed the other human in her garden. "I am probably going to regret this later but, would the two of you like to come inside? Fern informs me that it is too cold for him to be out right now. Although, little hunter you are going to have to leave my other guests alone. The birds are off limits but, the mice are free game." Her eyes danced in silent laughter as she inclined her head to the door and began to make her way over to it.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

In owl form, the city of Featherfall stretched out beneath Kabeyage in a blur of colors and shapes. His silent wings beat at the night air, scaling him over the little roofs, tall walls, and many trees. No one stalked around the streets, only small animals like mice and cats--the latter being what he kept his eye out for. Tabbies, a calico or two, a few strays of mixed breeds from the "intermingling" of the pure breeds. But he had yet to see the breed he looked for.

He'd passed over Monnayage's house a few times, amused by the small but noticeable touches of home his younger brother had added. The little nobleman couldn't go without a few eccentricities, even in a quaint little city like this. Unnoticeable to the untrained eye were richer paints used on the door, trinkets of Arca hung in the window, most of them bird carvings. Another thing Kabe would never understand; why did he like birds so much?

There was little chance of finding his brother in his abode this time of night. Monnayage was a night owl--Kabe would have smiled at the irony had he a mouth to smile with. And, true to his character, Monnayage was not there. Not a single lantern lit.

It took another half an hour before he heard a familiar voice drifting up from below, and he veered toward it, wing tucking in to his side. He alighted on a wall overlooking a small garden, and, more importantly, overlooking his brother, who was attempting to put his "charm" on a young woman. A young woman of pure beauty. Monnayage had no chance.

In spite of his quiet landing--no bird was more silent than an owl--his brother still heard him somehow. Of course he would. The blonde looked up at him in the darkness, his eyes glowing like that of a cat's, at the same time that his Siamese did. There was no seeing through Kabe's perfect owl form; however, with his brother's queer cat-like abilities, Monnayage probably smelled him.

Kabeyage gave a low hoot and fluffed his feathers, to which Monnayage said, "What are you doing here?"

GoblinFae

The soft hoot behind her gave Ladybird pause. Turning slowly she was delighted to see an owl in her garden. "Don't even thinks about it!" Fern's voice practically squealed into her mind. 'Be still Fern. He's beautiful.' The snake's coils tightened around her wrist in warning. "What's it with yous and your insistanceses on beings a bleeding heart." Ladybird tapped the tiny reptile on the top of his blue head. 'If I wasn't such a "bleeding heart" as you put then I would never have found and rescued you. Now hush!'

Ladybird quietly made her back over to stand by Monnayage. 'He talks as if he knows the owl personally.' Raising her brow she looked over to the stranger from the corner of her eye. "My garden is always filled with an array of beautiful visitors. Although, I think this is the first time in a long while that it has been graced with an owl's presence."

She stood in silence just watching the owl staring back. Inclining her head in greeting to the night hunter, Ladybird turned to face Monnayage fully. "Would you like to come inside? Or," she smirked continuing, "do you have business with the owl?" Her left arm came up in offering to be linked with his own. "What's you doings? Hurry ups and gets insides!" Fern's voice and the sensations of cold and fear pressed heavily on her mind. 'For the love Kia, Fern! Just be patient for a moment!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

Maneki had smelled him first, but Monnayage hadn't been far off. The musky scent of owl was difficult to miss, and even harder to miss was his smell. A smell that brought with it memories of childhood, of taunting and humiliation, of home.

Kabeyage.

It made no sense for him to be here, yet here he was, in the form of an owl, fluttering down onto the wall above. Surprise, confusion, and disgruntlement filled Monnayage all at once. His brother never showed up unless to humiliate him, steal his glory, or otherwise just treat him like a child.

Baffled, all he could say to the owl, accusatory, was, "What are you doing here?" And, true to his nature, Kabe just sat there and stared at him, laughter dancing in his bright, owl eyes.

His consternation increased as Petal spoke to him as though he were an idiot, and even more so when Kabe preened under her mention of his owl form being beautiful. She didn't know. Couldn't smell how this owl was no ordinary owl. Normally he would laugh and correct her, but not with his brother sitting there watching. For some reason Kabe always made him feel so small. All he could do was blush a little and glare at her, then at the owl.

<Want me to eat him?> Maneki jested. He mentally shook his head at her.

"Some visitors are less welcome than others," he said to Petal, though the words were directed at his brother, and he turned as if to follow her to her house. Upon doing so, however, his brother took off from the wall and came to land on his head, to which he gave a shout of dismay and grabbed at him with his hands.

No one touched his hair.

"Get off, Kabe!" he shouted, flailing.

GoblinFae

Ladybird watched the exchange, quietly seething from Monnayage's glaring and terse behavior. "The only unwelcome guest in my garden is you," she hissed out. Her face displayed total disgust as she pulled away from him. 'Less welcome indeed! Can you believe him Fern? He just waltzes in here like it's his garden and then throws a hissy fit over who else shares MY garden.'

"Are you coming inside Maneki?" she quietly asked the cat, choosing to ignore the attacking owl. "Or would you rather help your rude, uncouth human pet?" Huffing and refusing to look back, the young woman made her way over to her back door, angrily trying to rip it open. The problem however was that the door handle was broken and tended to be very finicky about how it was opened.

Growling, Ladybird kicked at the door, muttering under her breath. 'I should have listened to you Fern. If the owl doesn't offput him I might just let you bite him!' The snake seemed to perk up at that idea, moving to uncoil himself and slither up to her higher forearm. "Reallys? I cans bites him? I's go now!" he exclaimed gleefully. "Ons seconds thoughts," here he paused to look over his human's shoulder, "the pin cushion seems to bes doing a good job. I's won't be needed!" Ladybird rolled her eyes grumbling under her breath as she leaned against the door, "coward."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

Same as always, dear Monnayage. Vain as a noblewoman. One touch to his hair and he flipped. And, like always, it was vastly entertaining to Kabe.

The guy's hair proved soft, and through Kabe's owl senses he caught a faint trace of oak extract, something used only in the most expensive of hair care products. Each strand passed through his sharp talons with ease. With each flap of his feathered wings, Kabe sent locks of hair flying every which way, and Monnayage's cries of distress and frustration fueled him.

The cat, Maneki, hissed at him from the ground, her back arched and fur bristled. Cats were funny things.

At the sight of the girl turning to leave, Kabe threw off the disguise he wore. The weight of his human body on Monnayage's shoulders threw the younger one to the ground with a low oomph!, providing Kabe with a comfortable seat. "Long time no see, little brother!" he said, ruffling Monnayage's already messed hair. Soft as a cat's. Monnayage groaned. "And you're as pleasing to the eyes as ever, Maneki."

The cat only glared at him, no longer growling. Too full of herself to continue hissing at one that complimented her, he saw.

Kabe sprang to his feet with grace, brushing non-existent dirt from his loose pants and then pushing his own hair from his face. "I'd like to apologize for my brother's rudeness, miss," he added to the young woman whose garden he stood in. It was harder to see her without his owl eyes, but even in the moon's glow she was beautiful.

GoblinFae

Her eyes widened in shock at what she was seeing. 'I don't believe! I just don't believe it!' Anger regained its hold on her as wonder quickly faded away. "Oh so he's your brother? Well then, the two of you can march yourselves out of my garden. I will not have your kind of riff-raff disturbing my peace. Now go on, get!"

Furious not only with herself, but the men as well, Ladybird violently threw open the door and marched inside. Feeling this was not enough she then harshly slammed it shut, wincing as she heard it rattle in its frame.

'Stupid men and their stupid animals and stupid shape-shifting abilities, making me think they are all cute! The nerve! Oh, they better not damage any plants! I swear to Kia herself I will tear them limb from limb after I have made them collect and every one of those they have marred'

Unsure and curious as to what the men would do, the botanist blew out her lone candle in the room and made her way over to the shuttered window. Inch by careful inch she eased the rusty hinges of the warped shutter to open but a smidge. A ray of moonlight falling her way allowed her to see out into her garden and observe the odd trio.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

miss_sanguine

Hm. That didn't go exactly as planned, Kabe thought with a grin when the girl stormed off into her home. Must not be a fan of shape-shifters. That usually gets 'em. Ah, well. He shrugged to himself, then turned to watch as his younger brother pulled himself up into a sitting position, the guy rubbing at his forehead where he had smacked it into the ground on his fall. Monnayage's other hand rubbed at his back as he groaned.

Kabe wanted to laugh. If dear little Monny didn't like his hair being messed, he certainly wouldn't want to know what it looked like now--frayed and sticking out at every angle as if he'd been electrocuted, bits of dirt hanging in the locks.

From the corner of his eyes, Kabe caught sight of movement in the window of the beautiful girl's house, and his lips pulled at the corners, his attempt to not laugh out loud at her audacity. "Now look what you've gone and done, little brother," he teased as he gestured at the slammed door. "Your rudeness scared that beautiful girl away."

There came the sound of something like a strangled yelp from his younger brother as the guy looked around, mixed with more groans of pain. Oh, come now. I'm not that heavy, Kabe mused. "Me?" Monnayage protested. "You're the one that--ngh!--that got her more angry, and you--are you going to tell me why you're here?"

Feeling the need to show off because he knew that he and his brother had an audience, Kabe made a show of brushing his long hair out of his face and grinning one of his winning smiles. "Truth be told, little Monny, I came looking for you. There's no harm in an older brother coming to check up on his sibling every once in a while, is there?"

"Yes, there is. Especially when that sibling doesn't need checking up on. Besides, you only show up when you need something: like money." Another cry of dismay from the younger as it was revealed in his rising from the ground that his clothes were covered in garden soil. As if mirroring his brother's sentiments, his cat let out a small and piteous mewling sound, though Kabe could have sworn he saw a twinkle of amusement in the cat's reflected eyes. According to Monnayage, Maneki liked to tease him as well--one thing for which he could account for liking the furry beast.

This time Kabe really did laugh, going to his brother's side and patting him on the back--maybe a little too hard, by the sounds of it, for he heard the air knocked from his brother's lungs in a dramatic oomph! "Ah, to think so low of me, your oldest--why, I practically raised you! But," and here he sighed and shrugged his shoulders, "I can see there's no getting past you. I may be a little short on income and thought to come ask for a kind donation--for all that I've done for you, it's hardly unfair for me to ask."

Monnayage let out a snort of disgust. "I've given you money before, and have yet to see a scratch of it returned. What'd you do with the sum I gave you a few months ago? That was no small change."

"I might've . . . lost a bit of it," Kabe admitted without guilt.

"More like gambled it away."

"Silly Monnayage!" Kabe grabbed his brother by the neck, chock-holding him, and proceeded to ruffle at his hair again, to which both his brother and the cat hissed at. "What does it matter what happened to it? All that matters is that it's now gone, and I need more. I'm a hungry, handsome man that needs sums for nourishment."

"No!" Monnayage pushed him away. "I've given you enough already. If you really need some, good ask mom and dad. They'd be more than willing."

The mention of their parents soured Kabe. "No, little brother. No. I will not go to them. You know how they are." He waved the suggestion away in distaste. "No. I would rather eat from the garbage."

"You can eat from the sewers for all I care, you bas--"

"Now! Is that any way to speak in front of a lady?" Kabe pulled his brother around and with his eyes looked in the direction of their peeping mistress. "I'd watch my language if I were you, else you'll ruin your charming prince routine."

The blush on his brother's cheeks was noticeable even in this darkness. "I--it's not a routine. I came to get Maneki, then ran into her. Now, shove off." The short one made as if to leave, an unspoken signal to the cat making her follow at his heels.

GoblinFae

'Brothers? That explains a lot,' she mused, taking in their similar appearances and attitudes towards each other. But the boys squabbling was making her lose quick interest in them. Ladybird wanted nothing more than to throw them out of her garden and be done with them. However, that would require her going back out there, so instead she impatiently watched from the sidelines.

Pity pulled at her heartstrings for a moment at hearing that the newest brother had no funds for food. Her compassionate nature begged her to help while her stubborn pride quarreled that it was his own fault for his misfortune and stubbornness. She was just about to turn away as they looked her way when a familiar plinking sound echoed from the front of the house.

Drip. Drop. Drip-drop. Drip-drip-drip-drip. Quickly the sound of the rain moved from the front to the back of the house. It was not long at all before the precipitation she had been listening to could be observed with her very own eyes.

Throwing the shutters open, she glared at the brothers. Her gaze softened though as it fell on the cat. "Come inside Little Hunter. You at least are welcome here." Another glare was sent in the men's direction. "If the two of you can be civil and stop acting like little children you are also welcome. Until then you can stay out here and get soaked for all I care!" Ladybird crossed her arms of her chest and resisted the urge to testily tap her foot as she scolded them.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]