Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A warm fire and icy rain

Started by Heartfrost, May 03, 2012, 12:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heartfrost

Featherfall.

Known for its sea-gryphons and its seaside cliffs. Serendipity, known for its acceptance for magic and magic-users.

It had seemed like the perfect place. The mercenary remembered how the love of his life once told him she loved the sea. Maybe the sight of sea-gulls could bring a smile to her face? A small smile, just a tug on her lower lip would be enough for Hendrick. It really had seemed like an ideal place for him and Marilyn. The problem? The weather.

The rain tore through the clouds, lightning splitting the sky open. Hendrick shuddered from the cold. The water had found its way through every uneven seam in his clothing, through the sole in his leather shoes and his hair hung dripping and wet in his face. Hendrick could have lived through all of this. True, it was messy, it was cold and it was very miserable. The white/grey-haired man could have survived it all and probably would have found a stable to rest in, but for one thing.

Or person was probably more accurate. At least it had been once before. Hendrick looked to his side. There draped with his own and her cape stood a red haired young woman. Pale skin and a beautiful face. A small body with the loveliest curves. A pair of dark blue eyes with no life in them. They could have been made of glass for all the emotion the emitted. Nothing.
"Come on here", Hendrick said quietly. His voice was rough but calm and caring. The mercenary looked around. He was in a city, but all the windows were closed and the Inns way too rowdy and no place for a sweet girl like Marilyn. Hendrick was in no mood to fight. It had happened too many times that someone tried to lay their hands on the docile girl while Hendrick was busy keeping others at bay. As his hope to find shelter faded more and more he saw something. A light. Hendrick quickened his pace and held Marilyn close to himself.
"Just a little more now", he mumbled, just as much to Marilyn as to himself.
His hope rekindled when he saw that the light came from a window. Close to it was a door. Without caring for what kind of house it was, Hendrick knocked on the door.

"Hello? Anybody home? I seek shelter for the night! Please! If not for me, so please for my sister!"
Marilyn wasn't his sister, but it was far easier to say so. People couldn't understand why he took care of her otherwise. Hendrick waited, and part of him prayed. If no shelter for him, then please for her.

GoblinFae

Tired eyes blinked slowly as they examined the flower arrangement before them. Another blink and the colors all blurred together. Ladybird banged her fist down on the worktable in frustration. She had been at this for hours and still could not get the bundle to give the meaning she wanted it to. "Oh it's no use!"

The young woman let her head fall forward to bang against the table with a thunk. But, the sound she heard was much louder than it should have been. Sitting up, she stared at the table in surprise until a voice sounded from her door. "Oh!" Ladybird scrambled to her feet, looking for her robe that she had carelessly cast away.

"Coming!" she shouted as she ran to the door, throwing the article of clothing on. It took her a few moments to get the wooden bolt to move as it tended to stick in place with the humidity. At last the door swung open and the light of her warm room spilled out into the wet night.

For a moment she froze as she caught sight of the man, the harsh light making his scars and wrinkles appear more sinister. But, then she was stepping away from the entrance and ushering the pair in. "Come in, come in! Let's get you out of that rain before you catch a cold. You can state your business once you're out from that awful weather," she urged with a warm smile.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Heartfrost

Truth was, Hendrick wasn't a pretty sight to behold. It worked as a mixed blessing. It was easier to find mercenary work since the scars made him look "professional". It was harder to get lodging at a respectable tavern, since they all thought he looked like a trouble-maker. The door opened and Hendrick squinted. He was just about to explain himself and that he absolutely didn't have to come in, when the girl welcomed the odd pair into her home. Without second though, Hendrick stepped in. He wouldn't start arguing.

Stepping inside the house was a relief. He was still cold and wet, but now the wind was gone. Soon he would be warm and so would Marilyn and that was all that mattered. A hoarse "Thank you" slipped Hendrick's lips. His boots made small puddles on the floor, but Hendrick would gladly deal with them. In a moment.
  Hendrick pulled out a chair and gently lowered the red-haired girl into it.
"Hey, Marilyn", he whispered. It wasn't so that he didn't want anyone to hear, it was just an old habit "I need to take your cloak, girl. Can you give it to me, please?"

Without an expression, Marilyn pulled off her cloak and let it fall to the floor. She was mostly dry underneath, since Hendrick had given her his own cape. Hendrick picked up the wet fabric and turned around to face the woman who had so graciously invited them into her home.
"Thank you again. Would you mind if I dried these", Hendrick held up the wet cloaks "Above your fireplace?" Only then it hit him.
"I am Hendrick from Cannerburgh. This is my sister ..." Hendrick gestured towards the red-haired girl "... Marilyn. She's ... Not well. In the head. But she's not dangerous I assure you". The words had stopped tasted bitter long ago. He had hated uttering them and had fiercely objected if anyone asked. Now he didn't care as much. It was easier this way. This way he didn't have to tell his life story or embarrass himself. Not everyone took it well if he told him that the shell of a girl once had been the love of his life. How can you love a simpleton?

GoblinFae

Ladybird looked at the pair, her eyes following their actions in silence and without judgement. "Not well in the head? Oh that's not trouble. After all, we're all a little crazy. Makes the world more fun I think." She gave a wink. "Isn't that right Marilyn."

Smiling, she took the cloak from Hendrick and before he could protest moved to hang it by the fire. "It is a pleasure to meet you both. You may call me Petal, for it is a far better name than my given. Please, please," she beckoned, "do sit down." Ladybird chuckled nervously, running her hand through her hair.

"You'll have to forgive me, I wasn't expecting company. My other guests if you will, are not so neat and tidy themselves." The woman nodded her head to some of the animals, peeking their heads out from their respective spots about the room. Ladybird had a wide variety of visitors tonight. The autumn rains always seemed to bring them to her garden and her door.

Still bustling about the room, to clean off areas and tripping over several cats in the process, she continued chattering. "Make yourself comfortable, you both are quite welcome to stay as long as you need. Although, careful with the chair by the fire. The uh," she giggled, covering her mouth and blushing, "hedgehog likes to sit in it. I would just check the seat before I settle in."

Gasping, her eyes widened as she remembered something. "Towels! Oh how silly of me. I don't know where my head is. Just give me a moment," she exclaimed dashing off to the closet by her workspace. Ladybird, hurried to try and make her guests comfortable, tripping and stubbing her toes along the way and still continuing without a care.

Unfortunate for her though, was the fact that the towels had been placed on the highest shelf just out of her reach, and that of her "little visitors," and the stool was nowhere to be found. Speculating that she looked like a fool, the young botanist jumped up and down in an attempt to grab the elusive fabric. Her fingers would skim the soft surface but were never quite able to latch on. In her head, she could hear Fern's amused hisses at her plight.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Heartfrost

The girl gained instant approval from Hendrick when she spoke to Marilyn. Most people would ignore the redhead when they learned she wasn't ... well. Either that or if they were more prone to aggression they would try to use her. A small smile touched the Mercenary's lips.

"She doesn't talk much, but I think she would agree with you. The Earth needs everyone to make a world after all", he said as he began walking to the fireplace, the cloaks a bundle in his grasp. He didn't come far however before he had to avoid a little scuttling creature. When he was busy looking at the floor he felt the cloaks disappear. When he looked up he saw them already hanging over the fire.

The girl urged him to sit down so he pulled out a chair in front of the fire ...
"... Although, careful with the chair by the fire. The uh, hedgehog likes to sit in it. I would just check the seat before I settle in."
... and quickly checked if said hedgehog already had claimed the chair. The girl was quite right in her assumption. A brown hedgehog dozed on its seat. Hendrick backed slowly away so he would not wake the little fella. He glanced across the room. Every now and then he saw an animal looking back at him. A grey cat walked up to Marilyn, purring. When it got no response from stroking itself around her legs it jumped into her lap. The smile which Hendrick had been wearing turned sad. If Marilyn still had been herself, she would have been cuddling with the cat now. He could picture the whole scene in his head, from the moment Petal had opened the door. Marilyn would have chatted away with the other girl, wanting to see all the animals and flowers (Hendrick saw now what kind of shop this was). She would have asked a million questions and happily answered all given to her. Hendrick swallowed and turned his back to the redhead and the cat.

"You have quite the number of visitors. Are they regulars or here for the first time like us?"

Before he could say anything else the girl gasped as if she remembered something. Another warm smile reached Hendrick when she went away in pursuit of towels. A small chuckle escaped him. When she was on her way to the cabinet, Hendrick took the opportunity to get rid of his swordbelt and swords. He hung them on the chair, pulled off his jacket, vest and boots. The boots he placed close to the fire (under the chair with the hedgehog) and the other garments he hung besides his cloak. Beneath all this he wore a simple white shirt.

He heard a low 'thump' and looked in the direction of the sound. The hedgehog looked lazily in the same direction and Hendrick followed its stare. He held back his smile when he saw Petal trying to reach the towels, jumping up and down.
"Let me help you with that", said Hendrick and made his way over to the other woman. With ease he pulled down two of the towels. He was after all taller which made it easier.
"I suppose they are for me and Marilyn. Thank you Petal. We couldn't have hoped for better lodging tonight".
He meant it. Right now he was just wondering how in the whole world he would be able to repay the woman.
"Is there any way I can repay you?" he asked while giving one of the towels to Marilyn and rubbing his own hair with the other.

GoblinFae

The woman blushed heavily at being helped with the towels by her own guest. "Thank you," she mumbled, before waving him back to the fire. "Would either of you like some tea?" Ladybird was already flitting about to make it anyway. "To answer your question of before I would say it's about half and half. Some of my visitors are permanent additions to my home, some are returning freeloaders, and some are newcomers such as yourselves. My home is always open to welcome anyone or anything in need. My only rule is no causing trouble and no fighting with the others."

She paused in her movements to eye the man sternly. "I will have to ask the same of you. I know some of my guests are less appealing, my own familiar included. I assure you that none of mine will harm either of you unless severely provoked, in which case they are not responsible." A smile lit up her features again though as she continued on. "Not that I believe that will be a problem. The two of you seem to have your hearts in the right place."

Ladybird fell quiet for a bit, working comfortably about her home, completely unconcerned when a cat jumped down to land on her shoulder or a pair of kittens tumbled out of the cupboard when she opened it. To the young woman it was normal life. In her mind she was never really alone as long as she had these friends making her life interesting and her home chaotic.

"As for repayment, I expect none Hendrick. My doors are always open to things of all walks of life. Call it fate, the goddess, the weather, whatever you want but, I believe in this moment we were meant to meet for whatever reason. That's good enough for me. My repayment is that I was able to be of help. I hope you alright with that, because I would have it no other way."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

"No, you are the one who shall have thanks, for being such a good host".

He went back to the chair and when Ladybird mentioned tea he gave her an eager nod. Something warm would be divine right now. If you are cold and wet it is also important to warm up yourself from the inside. Just holding a steaming cup and warm his hands sounded like a really good idea. He continued to listen while she talked. It seemed like a good rule; everyone could be here if they caused no trouble. Hendrick looked down at his hands, the skin worn and leathery from the many years he had spent "causing trouble" if you could put it that way. When she turned her glare to him he met it.

"If I would ever provoke anyone into such rage that they would attack me, then by all means they have the right to. But you needn't worry. The only chance for me angering anyone tonight would be if I stumbled or took someone's favorite chair. If I can, I will avoid it. If not, then I hope I will be pardoned. Hopefully the regulars can point me in the right direction", he said with a playful twinkle in his eyes, looking at the grey cat. It stretched and looked very comfortable in Marilyn's lap. Right now she had pulled off her own boots and had begun drying herself. Sometimes Hendrick wondered. She was capable enough to take care of her own needs and do easy chores. It was the social part, the part that made a person a person that was lacking.

Hendrick turned back to continue watching Petal flit around in the room, seeing how cats tumbled out of cupboards, falling on their four feet and walking away to play with some old yarn.
Meant to meet? Hendrick didn't know. He had stopped believing in a higher power long ago. After what happened to Marilyn he could not bring himself to believe that any power would let something like that happen. That was what he said at least. Deep down, he wished there was something watching over him and everyone else in the world. For surely, if there was nothing, how could he then have had such luck to find Petal a rainy and horrible night like this?

He was just about to answer her when there was a flash, followed by thunder. One of the kittens yelped and ran across the floor to its mother. The lightning made him think of something.
"I have a question Petal. What happens if there ever is someone who would cause trouble? With the risk of sounding disrespectful, but you don't look like someone who would fight back. Do have any neighbor who helps you out in a pinch or do you use ... magic?"
He said the word with a second of hesitation. He was after all born and raised in Connloath and they were not known for their love of magic. No matter how long he had been gone, but magic was still something he feared, respected and was extremely curious about. I mean, who wouldn't be? To rain fire upon your enemies, heal broken bones and weave powerful illusions. Hendrick wouldn't say no to any of that, but he was still cautions when on the subject. He wouldn't want anyone to do those things to him. That would be bad for his health.

GoblinFae

The teacups rattled in Ladybird's hands as the clash of thunder made her tense and freeze in place. Her childhood fear of thunderstorms had never been outgrown even now. Swallowing away her fear, she smiled and passed a cup to each of her guests. "I manage," she replied cryptically to his question. In her mind she could see many of the precautions she had taken over time, the thorny plants by the windows, the lack of glass on the first floor, the way she presented herself without ever saying anything too important or revealing.

It was a lonely way to live, but it was what she had always done to survive and prosper. "I do not often have trouble and so far have been able to handle that I have endured. And no, I do not possess magic, you may relax your stance now. I am not going to cast a spell on you," she teased with a wink. Ladybird had caught the hesitation in his voice and had tried to assuage his concerns if there were any as quickly as she could.

Another crash of thunder had her inhaling sharper than she had intended and gripping the arm of Marilyn's chair briefly. Rushing to hide her discomfort, the woman plopped down on some cushions by the fire and sipped at her tea. "If you are tired, I can show you both to my guestroom. I'm afraid though you will have to share the small bed. It's the best I can do. Unless your...sister would not mind sharing my room with me? I would not mind as long as you two do not."

There was something about the pair in Ladybird's mind that made her feel Hendrick had not been completely truthful about their relationship. Something seemed off but in no way sinister. There was deep love there but, different than the love Ladybird shared with her own siblings. Recognizing it as none of business though she said nothing other than her small hesitation at calling Marilyn his sister.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

When she offered him the cup of tea, Hendrick gladly accepted it. The warmth seeped into his hands and already after the first swallow he felt much warmer. He didn't mind that he burned his tongue a little on the liquid, it was well worth it. Marilyn took her cup and drank way more carefully than Hendrick. Just a sip every now and then.

Hendrick noticed how Petal froze in place when the thunder started. He didn't say anything though. He himself was not afraid of lightning, but he was afraid of other things which people might think were ridiculous. He was actually afraid of ghosts (Always wondering if he would one day meet his father in shape of one) even though he had never seen one.

When Ladybird said she possessed no magic Hendrick lowered his shoulders. He had been a little worried. Not that he thought Petal would harm him or Marilyn, but still ... Magic was something he didn't know how to handle.
"I thank you for that. I wouldn't do well as a toad."
Another lightningbolt tore through the sky, making Hendrick look through the window. He didn't like how close the storm was. Hopefully the lightning would stay where it belonged, in the sky. Worst case scenario would be if it struck a house and started a fire. Hendrick looked back to Petal only to find her on the floor on some cushions. When she gave her proposal Hendrick looked down in his cup, thinking. It would be lovely to have a night for himself. Not having to worry about Marilyn and just ... be alone, knowing she would be safe. But he always had her close during the nights. Just in case anything would happen.
"I ... I don't know."
He looked towards Marilyn again. She was quietly drinking her tea, the grey cat in her lap, looking as if she didn't a single problem. He tried to imagine what she would do if she hadn't been like this.
"She would ... have wanted me by her side", he said, thinking out loud "I mean ... I think we will take the guestroom. Thank you Petal. Please, when the storm is over, allow me to buy you breakfast in the morning. We could maybe go together. But only if you want to. It is the least I can do for all the good you have done for me and Marilyn. And for all of your other companions. I bet those kittens wouldn't say no to some milk".

GoblinFae

Quietly, she watched the man from over the rim of her cup. 'So troubled and so cautious, what life have you known?' From one to the other her eyes drifted until she was pulled back by Hendrick's words. "Smart man," she chuckled, "to know a woman's desires before she has voiced him. I must say Marilynn you have him well trained. Even after decades upon decades my own father hasn't figured that out, and with four women in the house too."

Ladybird laughed and shook her head with a sigh. "Finish your tea and I can show you upstairs. You might have to share the room though. I can't always control some of my little friends." Her eyes danced as true to her words a tiny bat fell from the rafters above her right into her cup. The splash surprised her and she hurried to fish the little thing out. "Never a dull moment."

Gently, she coaxed the wet wings out, cooing at it as it chittered and squirmed. "I know. I know, but if you don't stretch your wings you'll never learn to fly. Come on, you can do it." After a few more repetitions, Ladybird cupped the little creature in her palm and wrapped it in one of her hand-towels that was lying close by.

"Best be careful with that offer of milk though, Hendrick," she then commented. "You have yet to see just how many kittens I house at this moment. However, weather permitting I will allow breakfast if that is what you feel you must do. I do hope the weather lets up for you though," she said rising to her feet. "One drawback of living close to the sea is all the wind and rain it sides up onto our cliffs and shores."

For a moment she hesitated, her mouth open to say more before she closed it and smiled. A gentle hand rested briefly on his forearm as she looked at him with kind eyes. "You are both welcome to stay here as long as you need." Giving the arm a squeeze, Ladybird smiled again and pulled away to scoop up the kittens into a basket as their mother moved to climb the stairs.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

If Marilyn had been more of the talkative type these days, she would have given Hendrick a small push and a knowing wink to Petal, showing how she heartily had agreed. Now Hendrick was the one to stand for the communication. He chuckled.
"Agreed. But every man needs to have a good woman, to get somewhere in this world. Your father should be happy he has four of them", he said with a smile.

Sharing a room would be no problem, this Hendrick was sure of. Animal companions tended to be a lot more courteous than the rowdy crowd he was used sharing quarters with. Mercenaries and bandits seldom had very good hygiene unlike most animals. That might sound crazy, but few were the creatures who didn't clean themselves in some way. Birds polish their feathers and monkeys eat the lice of their comrades. Therefore keeping themselves clean and more healthy. All in all, sharing the room with a pair of bats or rabbits would be like a walk in the park. That was Hendrick's thoughts. He probably didn't think it could be more than just one pair.

When the bat fell into the cup, Hendrick held up his arms to protect himself from the sloshing water, with little effect. He still got wet, but he didn't care. The important part was that the little battered creature got up and dry again. The rough features in the mercenary's face softened when he saw how much care and concern Petal gave the bat. He had seldom met a girl so compassionate. Buying and making breakfast was the least he could do, and he felt that this woman really deserved some appreciation. He had only been her for a short time and in this short time she had convinced him without trying that there still existed beauty in this world. Not just skin-beauty, but the kind that goes deeper.
"I'm certain, just because I said I'd be getting milk, the house will be crawling with cats and kittens tomorrow. I'll stick to my word however and if the challenge proves to be to mighty for me to handle, well, then I'll just admit defeat".
He looked out through the window. The storm was still going strong and didn't show even the slightest hint of letting up soon.
"I've always wanted to live by the sea. I grew up in a city and the closest thing I ever had for a view were the nights I and Marilyn snuck up on the city walls and looked over the valley. Every other night was nothing but chimneys, brick and smoke."
Marilyn turned her head. Hendrick saw it in the corner of his eye and looked straight at her.
"What is it Marilyn? Is something wrong?"
He followed her glare to the window again and saw nothing but the storm. Puzzled he looked back at Petal.
"Are you expecting more company tonight?"
Just after he finished two large thumps were heard on the front door.
"Hey, da'ling, lemme in! Hick! Ol' Tom and his boys wanna see ya!"
Whoever was standing on the other side was apparently very drunk. Without knowing Hendrick had stood up and his body had taken a more defensive stance, shoulders tensing.
"Is it someone you know, or have they just hit the wrong door?" he asked Petal.

[[OFF: I thought Tom could either be someone who has been bothering Petal for some time or just a random drunk knocking on the wrong door. Your choice! :) ]]

GoblinFae

Ladybird also looked curiously towards the door until she heard the drunken slurring from the other side. A heavy sigh released from her chest as she rose to her feet and placed a gentle hand on Hendrick's arm. She shook her head and placed a finger to her lips before in a singsong voice replying, "no one's home!"

There was a pause as the words began to permeate the drunkard's head. "Oh really? Hic! But I was 'oping to be talkin's to hic 'Pe'al. I gots somet'in fer 'er. Boys been in another scrap again. Hic! Ya sure no one ain't hic 'ome?"

The woman shook her head in frustration and leaned close to her guest. "Town drunk, not too bright but makes a hell of a lot of trouble. Doesn't stop him from skulking his way back here though. He usually goes away pretty quick though," she assured him.

Mentally though she was praying. Praying that Tom would do just that. The last time she had not been so lucky and he and his "boys" had broken into her house and wrecked some things. The drunker he was the worse he got. There was nothing she could do about it really though. He worked for the apothecary, who was a slimy but very influential man. There were some battles she had decided that were just not worth fighting. This in her mind, was one of them.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

Drunks were seldom such a big problem to handle. Hendrick relaxed his stance and carefully squeezed Petal's hand, showing he understood he should be quiet. Hopefully the drunkard would go away to bother someone else.
If Hendrick had known more about Featherfall and known that Tom worked for a slimy apothecary, then he would have tried really hard to come to a peaceful solution.
   So when the silence was interrupted by a forceful tremor from the door, Hendrick once again felt his shoulder tense and he moved in front of Petal.
"Marilyn, go away from the door!" he snapped at the red-head who obediently rose from her chair and walked into the furthest away corner. Inside, Hendrick's mind razed. A town-drunk shouldn't be so strong, to make a door shake in its hinges that way. Could it be his 'boys'?

"Tha's the 'pirit! At it boys! Hic!"
The door shook again and splinters fell from around the hinges. A vicious snarl and barking was heard. Hendrick felt his confusion grow. Could Tom's boys be dogs?
The mercenary didn't have to wonder for very long, because the door fell off its hinges and connected with the floor with a loud 'bam!'. On the other side, there was indeed two majestic dogs. In this modern day we would say the looked like Rottweilers. Between the two dogs stood (quite unsteadily, mind you) another shape, dressed in a fine green coat which could have looked nice if it wasn't so full of mud and wet from the inside out.
   Tom's grey hair hung all over his face and he grinned when he saw Petal, showing yellow and missing teeth.
"Ol' Jerry hurt his foot, ya see. Hic! Knew only of...", he took a sip out of bottle "... one girl who can fisch him up!" He gave Petal a little wink and Hendrick frankly didn't know what to do. He didn't know much about dogs. Was one of them actually hurt or was it a trick? If they still were strong enough to knock a door off it hinges it couldn't be that bad.
"Who's yer frien' there? I ain't seen tha' fella befo'e! Hic! He's a nasty face, that one." Tom said and pointed at Hendrick with his bottle. Hendrick looked with a bewildered expression at Petal. What was he supposed to do?

GoblinFae

The botanist was furious. Pushing past Hendrick, she marched straight up to Tom and slapped him clear across the face. Even as she did so the dogs swarmed on her. One of them jumping up to place his paws on her shoulders, forcing her to take a step back to keep her balance. The other butted his head repeatedly against her legging whining and barking.

"Down Jeff!" she barked, uselessly pushing at the beast as he licked her face before lowering. "How many times do I have to tell you that you are not welcome here? I don't care if you're bleeding out your eyes. You break the rules and you are no longer welcome here and you've broken them on multiple occasions. Breaking down my door in the middle of a storm? Why don't you going skulking off to Agehneim? I'm sure he'd be more than willing to care for his lackey's needs!"

"Aye but 'e charges and the boys always hic bites 'im. Please Lady? I'mma'skin' ya as a man down on 'is luck, I'm beggin' please."

No matter how much she wanted to, Ladybird could not hold her ground. She gave in with a sigh and a strict order. "Stay out of my hair and keep your mouth shut. Oh and you leave when I'm done." The young woman moved over to her worktable calling the injured dog over to her. Jerry barreled towards her, yipping like a pup as he hopped up onto the table in a single jump and laid down on his back.

Ladybird absentmindedly rubbed his belly as she examined each paw, finally finding the injury on one of the back paws and beginning to treat it. Jeff on the other hand could not stay still. First he followed his brother and kept getting in Ladybird's way until he grew bored and raced towards Hendrick. Stopping halfway, the large dog changed directions as he spotted Marilyn and slunk off greet her.

"Ya know, ya never told me who 'e is, Petal!" Tom called, plopping himself down into one of her chairs and making himself at home. "He hic your boyfriend? No, your secret lover. With a face like that I bets 'e ain't married. You sure know how to pick 'em. Hic! She's good in the sack, ain't she," he leered, making the woman feel sick and refuse to meet Hendrick's eye. "Aye, she has excellent prowess that one. Reminds me of the ol' days when I was a youngin'!"

The more he went on the angrier Ladybird got. They were all lies of course but it was embarrassing none the less. Looking up, her eyes caught sight of Jeff and tried to come him back to her but, he was having none of it. He stood a few paces away from Marilyn and barked and growled at her.

"Ooo! What ya find boy? Wha's Petally dear hidin' over there?" Shakily standing to his feet, Tom tried to peer into the far shadows, completely oblivious to everyone and everything in his path. This included and explained his sudden running into Hendrick. "Well move ya big oaf! I gots to investigates!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

As said earlier, had Hendrick known that Tom had some influential friends he would have tried to reason more with Tom. But when the dog – Jeff – just couldn't stay away from Marilyn and how it drew Tom's attention to her, Hendrick didn't feel like being so friendly. He grabbed the dog by the scruff of its neck moving it away from Marilyn. In response the dog begun thrashing about and barking even more. The cats that had been brave enough to stay in the room scattered away.
"This dog was fine? Then he can wait outside".
Jeff was a big dog but Hendrick was stronger. Hendrick went to the still functional back-door and threw him out. He wasn't trying to hurt the hound but his patience was slipping. No one messed around with Marilyn. Hendrick was too used to people doing things to her when he wasn't around to get a reaction. Luckily he had always been able to get back in time before anything serious happened. It still didn't make the mercenary feel any better. He cared too much.
  Hendrick closed the door shut and Jeff threw himself at it, howling. All this while, Tom had been talking about Petal. Just when Hendrick turned around to face the other people in the room the other man bumped into him.
"Well move ya big oaf! I gots to investigates!"
"No you don't."
Hendrick's voice was low, but it brimmed with reined-in anger.
"I have no problem with you speaking ill of me. But you should watch your tongue when in the company of a lady", Hendrick continued and took a step forward, coming even closer to the other, smaller man. Alcohol makes a man brave, but every man has his limits, drink or no drink. Hendrick was determined to let Tom know this.
"As for whom I am. I am Hendrick of Cannerburgh, Sword-for-hire. The girl back there is Marilyn and you leave her alone".
The last part was just a whisper. Without being entirely aware of it, Hendrick had taken hold of Tom's cape and was now holding him so his soles barely touched the ground. Jeff whined from outside.
"Now, apologise and thank Petal for taking such good care of your dogs. You should treat this woman better, for trust me, had I been master of this house I'd have you beaten into a pulp right now", Hendrick threw the drunkard to the floor close to Petal. Tom scrambled to his feet and his haggardly face showed all his teeth as he growled forth his words;
"I'll make ya pay! Ya hearin' me?! I've influ... influnti ... powerful! Powe'ul friends! Ya gonna regret 'is!" He turned around, facing Petal, suddenly seeming so much more sober: "And you! Lettin' wild men like that in?! Ya be glad I like ya so much, misch Petal or else I'd make ya suffer you too!"
While Tom said this he slowly backed towards the broken front door, his eyes looking everywhere as if he was afraid that there would be more 'wild men' inside, just waiting for their chance to jump at him.
"I be back in the mornin'! Then ya'll see, you freakish ..." a pause while he struggled for a good enough insult "... bastard!"
With those words he was out, back in the rain, whistling for Jeff, leaving Petal, Hendrick, Marilyn and Jerry (and all those other creatures).
Hendrick breathed out and checked Marilyn. She looked okay, expressionless as usual. He led her to the chair by the fire before turning to Petal.
"I'm ... I'm so sorry. I just ... when he went to Marilyn, I ... " A flash of thunder interrupted him. Hendrick looked back. The door was lying there on the floor.
"I'll help you repair the door tomorrow. For now", he went to the door, picked it up and tried to make it fit as well as he could in the door hole " ... I hope this will do ..."
"I hope I haven't caused you too much trouble. I am truly, sorry."

[[I hope not too much happened in this post. Tell me if you want to react to something, then I'll change it for you :) Sorry for the long wait! ]]

GoblinFae

Jerry had whined pitifully at being left behind but a soothing rub of his belly and he was silent once more. Ladybird finished her work in stony silence, refusing to acknowledge that Tom's words had greatly disturbed her or that Hendrick had probably gotten her into a boatload of trouble with the local apothecary.

"Down Jerry," she softly called, helping the large dog hop off the table. He stayed close to her, refusing to leave her side as she moved to clean things up. When at last there was nothing left to clean up, nothing more to use as an excuse to avoid her guest's questions, Ladybird sighed and nodded her head back to the seats by the fire.

After plopping down on her pillow and pulling the rather large dog into her lap, she finally began to explain the severity of the entire situation. "I don't believe you have caused me an irreparable amount of trouble. It is just that as drunk as Tom is, he really does work for someone that could cause me a bit of trouble. You see in our little town we each our own little shops and things. I own the flower shop, surprise, surprise. My biggest buyer happens to also be my greatest competition at times, our apothecary, Agehneim. I won't go into detail about his character because really that is gossip and I don't condone such things. However, this is a man with a lot of money that in part comes from shady yet, lucrative business deals. The problem is he does his trade among the higher officials so he is well protected from the law."

She sighed and shook her head. "Frankly, I could care less what he does as long as he stays away from me. Unfortunately though I am in some ways dependent upon his business. If I could ever get the shop to no longer need him I still would not be in the clear so to speak because he has enough power in his hands to shut down my shop and take away my home. This place has been in my family for five generations. I am not about to be the one that lost it all because of petty disagreements between businesses. So, did you do anything wrong? Well, it's not the best thing but Tom is the local drunk and everyone knows that. Probably the worst I'm going to have to do is kiss Agehneim's rear for the rest of the year and sell him a few poisonous plants I have been trying not to.

"Really though dearie don't trouble yourself. Your help with the door is all I can feel comfortable asking for." Ladybird frowned slightly but it was still playful. "If I wasn't so short I'd it myself. Go shrubs!" she cheered slightly throwing a fist in the air before blushing in embarrassment. "Sorry about that, family joke. Um, can I get you anything?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

Her last words brought a laugh out of Hendrick. This girl was so cheerful despite what had just happened. In a way, she reminded him of the girl Marilyn had once been. This made his heart ache and he had sworn to protect Marilyn. Some part of him wanted to protect this girl too.

So when she told him about the apothecary his first instinct was to ask if she wanted him killed. He didn't however. Something told him it wouldn't make the sitaution any better. Besides he guessed Petal would never be able to live with herself for making such a request. His other thought was that he could go to that man and make his life uncomfortable. Problem was, Hendrick couldn't stay around forever. Mercenary work was seldom found for very long in the same city. On the other hand, Hendrick was still a wanted criminal in Connloath. If that apothecary was so influential and powerful as he appeared to be, it would be no problem to dig in Hendrick's past and send a little letter to the Mordecai. They would be more than happy at a chance to catch him.
Dilemmas, dilemmas. Hendrick tried not to let his thoughts show on his face. How well he hid them, he didn't know.

"I'm certain, being a little short has other advantages. You probably won't risk walking into low-hanging branches", he said with a smile.
"I ... haven't been complete honest with you Petal", Hendrick suddenly blurped out. He hadn't meant to say this, but he felt he had to. This girl had probably gotten into trouble because of him. She deserved the truth.

Part of it atleast.

"Marilyn here, is not my sister. She isn't sick either ... Not really. When we were younger we were actually engaged. But some bad men didn't like her. And they", he gestured toward the red-head, "made her like this. So I left my town and turned to mercenary work. So ... if you ever, by chance, would have use for someone like me, let the word out and I'll come". He took hold of Petal's hands.
"I promise".

Not so far from there, the part of Marilyn's soul which she had lost, smiled.

GoblinFae

She listened calmly and quietly as Hendrick shared the truth with her. When at last he was done she smiled softly and gave his hands a reassuring squeeze. "I understand. I said you were both welcome here and I still hold true to that. I do not agree with your choices but who am I as a stranger to say such things? I thank you for your honesty and your kindness. That is all I can ever ask of you."

Ladybird did not tell him how she suspected the truth or that she had been right in some respect. She was not one to pry and she preferred to leave him with the sense that she was oblivious. It was not like she was about to tell the world about him. The woman was not spiteful and believed that everyone deserves a chance. They had done nothing wrong in her mind and had been nothing but kind to her.

"I am afraid that I cannot take you up on your offer. While I would not say I'm a pacifist, I have enjoyed beating up my fair share of my sister's heart-breakers in the past to be called such a thing, I cannot in good conscience accept such a thing. I still believe that peace is best with the least amount of fear or bloodshed. Thank you anyway though. You are very sweet. Perhaps if I have need of another door-hanging I will call for you though," she jested, winking and beaming up at him.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Heartfrost

[[I don't have a spellchecking program while writing this. Sorry for any mistakes ^^']]

"Had I've had other choices in life, I wouldn't have chosen this path either. The things I can't change, I won't dwell upon on. The only real good thing about it, is that the pay's good and it gives me the opportunity to travel, doing what I can to search for a cure for Marilyn", he continued.
  He looked towards the door. He'd have to replace the board with the hinges, maybe some part of the frame. Right now he didn't bother to think more about it. He was tired and warm. As if to emphasize how tired he was, his thoughts were accompanied by a yawn. Hendrick covered his mouth with his hand and gave Petal an apologizing look.
"Pardon me lady"
He thought back. The little talk about his past had triggered some memories which should have been best left forgotten. How he had begun his life as a mercenary, going against all the teachings he had as a child.
"Violence should be used to protect"
"Do things for the right thing, not for coin"
"Don't let your feelings get hold of your judgement. Ever."
Nowadays it was all he did. He was hired to protect wealthy merchants and their Caravans, yes, or a village from monsters during a perilious night. Mostly however people wanted muscle to beat up innocent people or to intimidate. Hendrick tried to stay away from those kind of deals and he always regretted taking up the contracts afterwards. More than once he had gone away from such a mission, not taking his share or fulfilling his part. That always felt better.
  So yeah, maybe he hadn't abandoned everything. But he would never again be able to visit Cannerburgh again and only briefly Connloath. Say whatever you want to say about that land, but Hendrick was born and raised there. He would always miss it. He had given up everything because of his emotions. Hendrick looked towards Marilyn. For that girl he had given his world. And the World had taken her away from him. Sometimes, deep deep down, Hendrick wondered if it had been better if Marilyn had died. The way she was now, she was dead but her body moved. She breathed, but she didn't think. All that he had loved was taken away. Some days, the darkest days, he wondered if he ought to just leave her behind and go on with his life. He never did. He still hoped he would be able to restore her, to take back what she had lost. That was the reason he had come to Serendipity in the first place.
"I think I'll take that offer of a bed now, if it wouldn't be to much trouble?" he said and smiled "If I'm gonna feed all your kittens tomorrow I believe I'll be needing my full strenght".

GoblinFae

Observant eyes caught the yawn and a small shake of her head dismissed his apology. "It would be no trouble at all kind sir." Rising fluidly from her pillow, the dog now hopping at her side, Ladybird moved and took Marilyn's hand to guide her to her feet.

"Come sweetheart, best put the little boy to bed, eh? Don't want any temper tantrums in the morrow when instead of chickens he feeds kittens." She gave the other woman a gentle hug and began to lead her and also Hendrick upstairs, Jerry close on their heels.

The walk up the stairs was a bit tricky with cats weaving in and out of their legs but Ladybird made sure to keep a firm yet gentle hand on the woman's elbow. The guest room was small but would serve them well. "Again I apologize for the accommodations." Nervously she rubbed at her neck. I would take a look around before you go to sleep just to make sure there isn't anyone you would rather not have in here. I think the bats have got out for the night but you never know. Also if you need anything I'm just down the hall. Is there anything I can get you now though? Some more blankets, some tea?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]