Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Winds of Change [nephero] [M]

Started by GoblinFae, April 22, 2021, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

Still chuckling he reached with no amount of haste into the pouch at his side and produced if all things a medium-sized dried grass doll. This he under-hand tossed to Aike as he rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck side to side. "The slavers came through again several moons ago. They murdered her mother and stole her little sister. We searched for them and the other children for days. In the end all we recovered were mutilated and abandoned bodies along the mountain caverns."

Any humor that had graced Enoka's features and tone was now gone as he spoke with a detached seriousness. There was no accusation in his words but there was a heavy charge to the air around him like the smell of rain before a heavy storm.

"That doll was all Firewing found of her sister and she is one of the lucky ones. I was among those that carried the bodies of our owlets home. I am not among those that outright blame you for this though, Governor. Nor is Atsida. But you should know of their loss, of their pain. Your people should know. Because if things continue we will run out of owlets and when we do, your own will be next and you will not want to witness the screams of childless mothers when it does.

"This is why he begs for the closure of those passages. He's not trying to take advantage of Cortla, or your recent Proving. Atsida is a good man. Better than you may ever know." Enoka nodded lightly, picking his words carefully. "I hope Cortla is able to remember that when they decide Talu's fare going forward, and do not hold Taluvan grief against us."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

nephero

Aike started a bit at the toss, bringing their hands around to quickly catch the doll. They almost wished they hadn't - they heard Enoka speak as if through water in a tunnel, distant and faded beneath the thundering roar of their pulse in their ears. Quick. Frantic. Desperate.

Pleading.

Aike sucked in a sharp breath, and like that they re-emerged, breaking through and back to the pleasant afternoon air and the buzzing of insects. Slowly, as if still unsure of their own limbs, Aike tucked the grass doll tenderly away in their satchel.

"Please," Aike said softly, "believe me when I say I understand how dire this is for you. I truly, truly do. I will not guide my people into leaving yours to their fate. ...But thank you, for telling me. Hopefully, this will soften some hearts."

VIGILANCE WALKING THE TOAST
Characters here!

__guilds, yo__
The Territok Orcs // The Oratok Orcs // Fausteth // The Ashmen

GoblinFae

He nodded back wordlessly eyeing them for a moment. "I do not think you would. But as you say, perhaps the rest will listen." Enoka snorted then and shook his head more enthusiastically. "I hope you have gotten your fill of me Little Spider. I must hurry home before I am missed. My family does not like it when I wander too far. I will surely get an earful if I cannot manage to distract them first. Too bad you are all out of hoppers. Could dare them to eat them and wash up while they're distracted," he teased far more light-heartedly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

nephero

The emotional whiplash was enough to stun Aike into more silence, blinking up at him for a moment before they finally brought up a hand to wave farewell.

"Until next time, then, Enoka Stormcleaver. I will remember to bring more locusts for you to share with your family." They hummed softly. "Just in case you need another distraction, then, too."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

Enoka laughed heartily at that as he too backed away waving. "Distractions are always welcome!" He winked then before adding with a twinkle of mischief in his eyes.

"++I will see you again soon Little Spider!++"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

"++What a strange man.++" Sikke stated the second Enoka was out of earshot. Still shocked, Aike could only nod their agreement.

- - - -

Several months passed in what felt like the blink of an eye. Aike supposed keeping busy was what did it. Between the standard affairs of settling into their office, and the building of the promised outposts in the mountains, there were plenty of nights fuelled solely by tea and tobacco.

After returning from the border, Aike had had their work cut out for them, with several council meetings and coordination between the Trapdoor squadrons taking place daily. It was exhausting work, convincing others that Talu was not planning anything nefarious, and more work still to justify pulling soldiers from the east.

Still, as they promised, it was done. There was only the one outpost constructed before winter settled into the mountains, but there were plans for more at the first sign of spring. When the newly formed patrols had come across clear signs of outsider movement in the passes, well...

That evidence made it far, far easier for Aike to guarantee those other outposts. They supposed reality had set in - it was one thing to hear the sad stories from Talu. It was quite another to see the marks of slaver camps within half a day's march from home.

The mountain passes being more heavily guarded was also what allowed Aike to travel along them just as the shortest days of winter approached. They had kept in contact with Chief Great Horned Owl, of course, but there was something of an added gesture to walk the paths themself. A kind of proof to the changed safety of the mountain, that the Governor could make the journey into Talu with only their guard and not risk being attacked and sold off.

Again, Aike did not regret the excuse to head out of the city. They breathed deep the cold winter air, sighing it out in a soft puff of vapor. They wore their armor, as always, though the cooler weather necessitated the addition of thick, woolen ponchos and knitted gloves, especially as they climbed upwards to where snow had managed to fall and stick. It made the journey slow, but nothing Aike or their guard hadn't dealt with before, and they managed to arrive at where the pass emptied into Talu just before midday. The group stopped at the final post marking the end of the Cortlan road, waiting patiently to be invited.

Well, Aike mused as they saw several of their trapdoors stand with open mouths attempting to catch the few snowflakes that drifted in the air, mostly patient.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

True to their word, the Taluvans Walking the Circle passed along the shared Cortlan border as cold winds turned icy on their way to the shadow of the mountain. And once they passed through, the patrols lessened and skirmishes ceased. There was still posturing of course, you couldn't expect an immediate truce without some squabbling among young, bored, high-strung warriors.

Atsida had kept busy as well. Between Walking the Circle with his people, arguing and debating endlessly with the Elder Night Flier, grieving, caring for his family, handling the increased concerns of his people, and suffering the coming bitter-cold of winter. He hated the winter. Holing up at the foot of the mountain for months on end as the snow walled them meant being settled in one place with nowhere to go and only the aching cold to settle into your bones. The children loved it of course, hours spent frolicking in the white powder that fell from the sky while wives told tales around tipi fires.

They had all settled in a few weeks ago when word came that the Cortlans would be returning. Atsida made the decision then to go against the Elder Night Flier's advisement and to let the Governor in to see the Taluvan people and how they lived. The Chief had argued though that it was only fair. They would be far less protected out in the open and if a storm came early as they were wont to do then things would become very dangerous very quickly.

It was for this reason that he had had an extra tipi made just for the Cortlans to use during their stay and assigned several hand-picked Night Fliers and Talons for their trustworthiness to further serve as protection for the Cortlans should any Taluvans get ideas of harming them. There were many, Atsida's wife included, that disagreed with the Chief's decisions for peace and protection. There were many, many heated arguments that had happened even within his own home. In fact the last week alone he had been forced to sleep outside while his wife's tempered cooled. While he had always adored Enicea's ferocity and fortitude, this was certainly one of those times when her stubbornness was not working in his favor. She would not let him sleep inside until he changed his mind about letting the Cortlans come, but Atsida was firm in his decision. This was the right thing to do. In time the others would see. He was sure of it.

He'd even assigned Enoka not only to Cortlan guard duty but also ahead to retrieve their guests. The man had readily welcomed the opportunity to leave the settlement as even over the scant weeks they had all been there, he was already incredibly restless. Any opportunity to stretch his legs was a welcome one.

Enoka for his part was sat crouched on a higher section of the cliff face watching the Cortlans behaving like children. "Took you long enough!" He called down teasingly to them from his perch "Any longer and we would be icicles!" At his words three other heads popped out from behind him peering down more hesitantly to see who he was talking to, each nudging the next to look closer like tiny owlets.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

The Cortlans' heads swivelled up in a sharp gesture at the call, their bodies rigid for the single moment it took them to catch movement among the snowy cliffs. Distantly, Aike remembered how they had considered it a gesture of good will that they had been able to see the Taluvans before their arrival. Now, they were sure that had been the exact intention.

It took Aike a few more moments to place the specific mask they were looking at - many of the Taluvan coverings bore similar markings to one another in ways Aike was not familiar with, but the addition of the voice and the kind of cheerfulness Aike would not have normally expected, they were able to place who this specific owl was, at least.

"A pity you are not named Icecleaver, then!" They called back up, head tilted to watch Enoka and the three other Taluvans with him. Rakal stepped forward to stand beside Aike, and held a bundle up over her head, her face split by a wide mischievous grin.

"++We brought you skewers!++" she all but cackled.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

"What's this squeaking I hear? Sounds more like a mouse than a spider to my ears. Perhaps we have found dinner instead of friends!" Enoka hopped down, landing in front of them both with a soft crunch of snow even as his companions chose to pick and climb their way down with far more care. He eyed them with a curious tilt of his head.

"++You shrank! What, your hoppers not fiery enough to keep you warm? Or is there a spell in there to try and make me tiny like you? Hmm hm?++" he laughed and teased as he poked at Rakal and her pack.

"I hope you're hungry. The wives have been smoking meat for days and let none of us have any in anticipation of your arrival. I'm starving!"

As he spoke the other three finally arrived each bobbing their upper torsos in greeting when noticed while also bunching up on themselves as they nudged each other forward quietly daring someone to go first.

"The two in front are twins, Cloud Dancer and Rainweaver, and the little one behind them is Sparrow Hopper. There are four more who will rotate with us during your stay in Talu. Chief Great Horned Owl assigned the eight of us to you as your guard to help make you feel safe and at ease. Most of them speak at least a few words of the Ketran dialect if not more." Enoka lowered his voice so only Aike could hear. "Atsida made sure none of your guard would create another Firewing scene or worse for you."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

"++I would ask you if there was some spell they were feeding you, or if maybe you're part tree!++" Rakal shot back, grinning wide and giving her unoccupied hand two quick twists. She handed over the bundle only to pull out a second and pile that on top of the first in Enoka's hands. "One is a little more fiery than the other. I'll let you figure that one out."

Aike patted their belly at the mention of food.

"I admit it was tempting to get into your gift on the way here. We are all certainly quite hungry, aren't we?"

The Trapdoors chuckled amongst themselves, before all of their attention was drawn to the other Taluvans. It was, perhaps, a little more intimidating than necessary, having eight sets of eyes suddenly on you, but none of the gathered Cortlans lingered on or gave a hint of aggression. Instead, Aike clasped their hands behind their back and inclined their head towards each of the three Taluvans.

"Cloud Dancer, Rainweaver, Sparrow Hopper. Thank you for coming to meet us. I apologize for making you wait in the snow. I hope that we all will become good friends in the time we are here." Aike straightened again, head turned to Enoka to better hear his words. At the mention of Firewing, they pressed their mouth into a thin line and hummed. When they finally responded, it was in a similar low, quiet tone. "...After what you told me, I can't find it in me to hold a grudge. But I will have to thank Chief Great Horned Owl when I see him."

A bit more loudly to include Taluvans and Cortlans both, "I am genuinely very hungry, if there really is such a feast waiting for us."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

Enoka's eyes flashed beneath his mask as if a storm raged within them. His voice remained low and private, lacking the playful jesting of only a moment prior. "There are those who are not pleased with your coming. We will do our best to ensure this peace lasts because Atsida believes it to be the right thing and because he believes in you."

He cracked his neck then and rolled his shoulders, the storm passing as the light returned in his eyes. "If there isn't we can always throw this little mouse on the fire. She might only be a mouthful though," he teased bumping Rakal with his hip before nodding for the rest to follow him. "Did you bring more of your candies with you? Atsida shared them with the children and if they didn't flock to him already they certainly do now. You'll for sure win over our youth right out from under us if you have."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Amongst the playful chatter, Aike must have seemed made of stone. Of course, it couldn't really be surprising to find out that Atsida's people were about as happy as Aike's had been about the whole arrangement. The squabbling at their first meeting had been sign enough of that. Still, perhaps some naive part of them had hoped that their efforts in building the outposts might have done something.

Then again, they thought to themself while looking around at the Taluvan side of the mountains, when was the last time a Cortlan had set foot here? That was something, indeed.

Still, their mood was somewhat somber as they followed Enoka, hands still clasped behind their back. At his question, they raised their chin, as if startled from their own thoughts.

"Ah... I do have some. I would be happy to share what I have." They paused, and looked over at Enoka, mouth twitching to the side in quiet amusement. "Unless you yourself needed them as a distraction for your family for being so late."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

He tilted his head in response in silent reflection. "Ah! They are used to it by now. A Night Flier's duty rarely keeps them with the settlement for long," he commented pointing at the intricate carvings over the cheeks of his mask. "Atsida was concerned though I had done something though. You should have seen the relief on his face to receive your message with the outpost updates." Enoka snorted and muttered beneath his breath, "he worries too much."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

"Clearly he was worried you had run off to finish the attempted clubbing." They said with a wry twist to their mouth, their own wrist twisting just a little bit behind their back. They observed his mask for a moment longer, taking in the markings and looking to the other Taluvans to see similar ones there.

"Sounds like our job," Sikke said quietly, in his own heavily accented Ketran. "Going out and away from everyone."

"Well, we used to, anyway," Rakal added, elbowing Aike some in their side and shooting them a grin. "++Until someone got big for their breeches.++"

"Spoken like someone who hasn't taken every opportunity to enjoy the comforts of civilization. ++...And all the pretty girls there.++" They replied back almost conversationally, mouth twitching again to fight back a wide grin as that earned them a bout of scattered laughter, Rakal included.

"We don't have the whole city follow us." Sikke continued, his head tilted some. "It is... good to enjoy when we can."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

Enoka snorted along with the rest even going so far as to pointedly look behind Aike at their rear. "++Not that big...for a spider. At least if we gobble up the mouse, we know that all of Cortla is saved from her own voracious appetites.++"

He scuttled out of the way to avoid anything more than indignant squawks even as his own companions shook their heads not understanding what he was saying but very used to his odd nature. It was shy Rainweaver that spoke up, his voice cracking with youth as he chided Enoka. "You better not be saying anything to get us in trouble, Stormcleaver! Chief Great Horned Owl will be very upset with you and you'll be punished!"

"Yes," Enoka replied with a huge wink, leaning in conspiratorially to the Cortlans, "because Atsida is definitely the disciplinary force within his wife's tipi. "You worry too much Rainweaver."

The young man huffed but turned curiously to Sikke. There was a shifting to his stance of hesitancy but also an eagerness of anticipation. His accent was equally thick but different and halting as if measuring each word for its weight and accuracy. "What do you mean....the part about the whole city following?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Aike's eyes widened even as the Trapdoors erupted in laughter when Enoka looked at their ass, and they made to swat in Enoka's direction, though they certainly weren't aiming to connect. Rakal was practically beside herself, clutching at her belly as she cackled.

"I think I like this woman already!" She snickered, giving a little 'oof' as Aike elbowed her in the side.

"Behave," was all they said. Not that they truly believed she'd cause a diplomatic incident by getting flirty with the Talu Chief's wife, but...

They elbowed her again, just in case.

A few steps behind, Sikke glanced at the Taluvan man and dipped his head a little lower.

"Your city moves. The tents. We don't have those. Most Cortla people don't leave where they were born."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

"++But would you like her husbands I wonder?++" Enoka teased back, as they drew closer, the settlement coming into view ahead. He had enough time to hear Rainweaver's declaration that stagnant city life sounded boring before Enoka found himself astride with Aike and leaning down to whisper in his ear.

"Welcome to Whispering Canyon, Little Spider, outpost of the Night Fliers and Talu's winter nesting grounds."

Ahead of them snow graced the ground and smoke the skies as many little fires served to keep each large tipi warm. Tall, open fencing decorated with knotted, feathered cords served to mark the confines of the massive settlement as well as ward off restless spirits. Children laughed and played, running about and chasing about large, winged, ferret-like creatures that yipped and barked back at them in a game of endless tag.

"When we arrive," Enoka spoke loud enough for the Cortlans to hear, "we will be greeted and inspected by one of our Strigi. They will ensure that we are who and what we say we are and have not picked up a restless spirit along the way. As we," he pointed to himself and the other three Taluvans, "wear our masks and have not had them knocked off our faces this trip we are safe. You all however will require cleansing for your safety and ours."

"Don't worry!" Cloud Dancer chimed in cheerfully. "It's completely painful!"

"**Painless,**" her twin corrected.

"That's what I said! Painful!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

"++Eh, I'll pass.++" Rakal waved her hand in a dismissive sort of way, walking along with the other Trapdoors and idly chatting to each of them in between looking around at the landscape. They grew a bit quieter as they approached the settlement, the Cortlan's eyes focused and their previously admittedly bawdy banter turning back into silence. It was one thing to joke near the border, it was quite enough to insult a people in their own home.

Aike looked about, smiling a bit to see the children running around with... whatever those strange creatures were. Quite a few times Aike was sure the creatures were going to bowl over one of the owlets, but that didn't seem to bother them any. There certainly weren't any cliffs they were in danger of tumbling over, at any rate.

They quickly turned their attention back to Enoka, back straight and expression serious. They had been about to reply when Cloud Dancer chimed in, earning quite a few startled stares from the visiting Cortlans, Aike included. Even after they had collectively realized it had been an error in word choice, there was a small bit of nervous laughter from the rear.

"...I... suppose it is much the same as when we had met at the border?" Aike asked, if only to break the quiet.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

"Painless," Enoka agreed with a soft amused snort and a nod of his shorn head. They will put hands on you but cause no harm."

He paused then, eyeing Aike from the corner of his eye in deep contemplation. "Would it ease your worry if I went first? There's no harm in saying I lost my mask." He snorted softly before continuing, "at least so long as my family doesn't hear of it. They worry too much for no reason."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Aike shook their head immediately.

"I would not have you lie to cover for my fears. It would be utterly shameful of me to show such cowardice I'd have you speak less than the truth for me." They paused for a moment, and continued, in a much softer tone. "But thank you, for thinking of my comfort. I will trust you when you say it will be painless."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__