Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wanderer [I'ka] [GoblinFae]

Started by Nightcrawler, November 26, 2023, 05:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightcrawler

"Do not be sorry for grief," he repeated. Once it seemed like the worst had passed, he settled into place and leaned back against the wall until his horns stopped him. He released a heavy sigh and stared up at the ceiling. "Nor could I."

Then he eyed her, and said, without a hint of irony or awareness: "You are exhausted. Drop the water."

GoblinFae

Quietly sipping more of the tea, she simply observed him as he rested against the wall. There was a man who grieved, who regretted, who was as stubborn and unrelenting as the sea, but who was also just as weary as he was humanoid.

"Will you rest if I do?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

Eln considered the question carefully. "I will stay here and watch the fire," he admitted. "But in that I am here with little else to do, I will rest in between." He shifted and peered out the open doorway. "Your son. Will he take poorly to my presence?"

GoblinFae

"Make yourself some tea and there are extra blankets over there," At'Eed pointed to an opposite wall. "I will not run off into the sands if you rest. As for my son..." She sighed and shook her head with a slight roll of her eyes. "I expect him to behave. If he does not you are free to give him a swat. Would serve him right."

She snorted softly to herself before groaning as she pulled her legs back up into her bed and situated her blankets and furs about her. "Do you have any last questions for me?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

Eln was not thrilled at the thought of an altercation with the lad, but at least At-Id was truthful. He decided that he would trust her at her word that she would stay put. He inclined his head appreciatively. "No. No questions. But...thank you. For resting, and..."

He was not certain how to put the rest into words, so he trailed off and let it be. Instead, he made his rounds: stoking the fire again, and removing the cooking stones from the water basket, and finding himself a blanket. When he sat against the wall again, he retrieved the spell-totem from his pocket and quietly resumed his whittling.

GoblinFae

She inclined her head to him in understanding, murmuring her own thanks before finishing her tea and carefully lowering the wall the water wall back into the bowl she had been drinking water from earlier. The crackling of the fire and sound of the ocean waves outside were soothing but not enough to put her to sleep. At'Eed laid quietly, humming a lullaby softly to herself.

Eventually rolling onto her side she caught sight of what Eln was up to and watched him first quietly in curiosity before deciding to be a bit mischievous. Tiny drop by drop she re-raised the wall.

"You are a craftsman. What are you making?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Eln jolted. The knife slipped and drew blood from his thumb, and it smeared across the totem and stained it deeply. He muttered a string of curses, the last of which would have translated through the water wall as "shitting god." Then, in a panic, determined to save his work, he pressed his thumb to the wood, closed his eyes, and finished his spell. "I give of myself to the sky," he murmured quickly, and threw the thing into the flames. It would remain to be seen if an incomplete spell was enough. If it wasn't, he would begin again tomorrow.

When it was done, he slumped against the wall again and watched his work burn until it turned black. Then he turned to face the witch with an expression that could have been embarrassment. Wakine had asked the very same question, and Eln had avoided it. He did not think that At-Id would let it go without some explanation. "A way to sleep," he said. "Without the dreams."

GoblinFae

She stifled a giggle at having startled him and observed his work. Her gaze softened with sympathy before she was up and out of bed again, a shawl pulled close around her shoulders as she approached her shelves of herbs. "Your people practice blood magic like we do. Does it really help keep the dreams at bay?

"Place the stones back in the fire please," At'Eed gently instructed. Dark green, wrinkled leaves, white-petaled flower heads, and a small bundle of roots were carefully collected before she sat by the fire with them. The leaves she rolled between her hands releasing a minty, lemony scent in the are as the action and warmth of her hands broke the leaves down some. These were tossed into a cup with the broken in half flower heads. A knife by the fire was used to shave at the roots carefully, ever mindful of how much fell into the cup.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

The witch called it what it was: blood magic. Eln averted his gaze, well aware that desperation had made him a hypocrite. He stood and wordlessly obeyed her, moving new stones into the coals and refilling the water basket. Then he sat once more and watched her make a new tea, and he mulled over what she'd asked. Truthfully, he did not know if the spell-totem worked. He had always used them in times of need, when his mind was burdened and his thoughts were clouded. Each time, he had done so without questioning the ritual itself. Either he did it correctly and it worked, or he did not, and it failed.

The last time he had made one, there were other factors at play. Deeper magics than he had known at the time. His dreams were different, then: premonitions of the future rather than memories of the past. They were gone the night he'd burned the thing, but he suspected that they were pulled away by a hand other than the totem.

Eln frowned at the lump in the fire. "I do not know. I hope that it will, but..." He groaned and rubbed his face again, and then examined his cut thumb. "Time will tell." When he was convinced that the wound was shallow and would heal without intervention, he shot At-Id an exasperated look. "You should be resting."

GoblinFae

"There's bandaging cloth behind you for your thumb. Just take a small strip and I can tie it off for you." At'Eed ignored his chiding as she took a clay disk and dropped it into the cup overtop of the herbs. Once heated, the hot rocks were removed and placed into the water, which when heated was then added to the cup.

"Let it seep, but this should help as well," she instructed holding it out with both hands to him. "If your gods will not have mercy on you at least Mother might smile upon you and grant you good sleep. You deserve good things too," At'Eed added as a gentle admonishment of her own.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

"It is fine on its own," Eln insisted. "It is a shallow cut."

He sat up straight as the woman approached him. She held something out to him in offering. Bewildered, he took it. He had not realized that she brewed it for him. He considered it for a moment before setting it gently on the floor. What she had given him would no doubt send him to sleep and keep him there. He was wary to a fault of such potions. Even if he was not, and although he was also grateful for her help, now was not the time for it. Not when he had a job to do. "I thank you," he murmured. "But I am not the patient, here. Please return to your bed and rest. And drop the water."

GoblinFae

At'Eed raised a brow as he placed the cup down but smiled at him slightly all the same in good humor. "I am well tended to. My bowl is filled, the fire is stoked, my bed awaits, and there is nothing more for you to do for me. I will sleep and you will be left alone with nothing but your thoughts. Do you still distrust me, Eln? Is my gift to you that much of an insult? I made it special for you."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Eln waited patiently for the witch to finish. He suspected that she intentionally sought reasons to argue, or ways to dig under his skin. Perhaps she was too stubborn to listen to him and wished for the last word. Or perhaps she was simply bored and wished to pass the time. Either way, her attempt at guilting him left no mark. He allowed time to pass between them in silence as he would with a child who threw a tantrum. Then he drew a breath. "Are you finished?"

GoblinFae

"Are you really treating me like a child?" At'Eed asked in clipped tones, immediately catching onto his tactics as a parent herself. Hurt and disappointment showed plainly upon her features as she looked down at him and shook her head slightly.

"You hate mages, but do magic yourself. You say you don't hate me, and yet you reject what good I try to do for you at every turn. I sacrificed for your health and wellbeing and you treat me like a toddler up past bedtime.

"You'll have to forgive me as I grow tired of your games. I am a healer, a grown woman, and the one who has saved your life no less than three times now. If nothing else you do owe me some respect for that, Eln. Or to at the very least not continue to flaunt your distaste for me in my face so pedantically," she informed him with even keel and timbre.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

The witch was not finished.

It seemed that Eln had said the wrong thing. He remained seated as she dressed him down, for he had learned his lesson with Kelowi not to show his height in an argument. He gazed up at her, ever weary, and waited again for her to run out of words. When she had, he thought on it all. And she was right: he had been a hypocrite, and unpleasant, and he had not respected her as he should a woman. He had tried to explain his reasons earlier, with Kelowi as an example. But At-Id seemed not to grasp the depth of that wound, nor the many ways in which it surfaced and bled again and again.

"You are right, and I am sorry. I do not mean you any disrespect."

Eln looked away and tried to find a better way of explaining a thing that he could not even bring himself to speak of. "I do not hate you. And I am grateful for what you have given me. Please believe this. I..." He wrung his hands and shut his eyes and gritted his teeth. When he had pushed the memories away, he looked up at her again and fortified himself for what he had to say.

"You told me of Kelowi, and how she found safety here. You said that even when she thought that she was safe, still your people made her wait to be certain. Yet when I hesitate at all, you insist on prying me open with a knife for answers. And when I do not reveal them, you tell me it is games. It is not. It never is. Believe me, or do not, At-Id. I cannot change your mind on this, it seems. No matter how many times I tell you that it is not you that I fear."

GoblinFae

Her chin snapped up at his words as if slapped. "I am so very sorry Eln for the hurt I have caused you with my words," she spoke with genuine contrition. "I did not understand until this moment what you were trying to tell me before. I recognized your grief and your compassion for mine, but not the pain of other sufferings. For that I am very sorry to have misunderstood. Not now but I hope in time I can prove myself as safe to you."

Bending slowly so as to not potentially startle him, At'Eed scooped the cup back up and backed away from him. "I will take and finish this so that you need not have it plague you. Get some rest Eln, if you can....you deserve peace too."

The woman bobbed her head at him in acknowledgement before crawling back into her bed. The tea was quickly downed and she was about to lay down when her eyes fell on his cloak still being used as her pillow. "Oh. One last thing. Would you like your cloak back? I don't wish to deprive you of its comfort."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

He waited for her to fling some barb or underhanded comment, but it never came. He watched her, on edge at first, then puzzled, uncertain if it was a trick. Only when she returned to her bed and drank the tea did he realize that she genuinely meant every word of it. "I...thank you," he said, though he still looked confused at her sudden change in tone. "And...no. Please. You were very cold, earlier. Use it to stay warm."

GoblinFae

"If you are uncomfortable and I am still asleep, feel free to make yourself comfortable or borrow bedding from my son's bed. He knows better than to disturb his mother's sleep so you should be fine. And...thank you for lending me your cloak."

At'Eed offered him a small smile, tucking herself comfortably back into the bed. His cloak was dragged down so the soft fur pressed against her cheek and she could unconsciously burrow in against it. Once more and for the final time before she truly slept the water gently splashed back into the bowl and in a matter of minutes the woman was breathing deeper in true, much needed sleep.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

From that day on, the witch kept her word. Eln was wary of this at first. After all, he had wrongly assumed that she was the kind of stubborn woman to argue until she wore herself out. But over time, he came to realize that she had genuinely meant what she told him. And, judging by the way that the other I-ka-nans treated him, she had spread word of what they had discussed. He was not certain what to think of that part. Truly, he had revealed it in his desperation to be heard, but he would have preferred that she kept it to herself...even if her intentions were good.

Time passed. The seasons changed again. The signs of spring crept in: rain, and green buds on bare branches, and a warmer sun that arced higher above them. Each was a reminder to him. He had survived the winter. It would be time to move on, soon. He had lost both shield and ax, now, but he was better off than he had been since his arrival in these strange lands. He was confident that he could make it on his own.

So why did he dread leaving? Had he become like Kelowi: so satisfied with the comforts of his cage that he would no longer bolt from it when the door sprung open? It ate at him, and as spring bloomed verdant and the cottonwood perfumed the air, he grew agitated, and his temper grew short. He did not show it around the little boy during their lessons, or to Kelowi. He had been less than pleasant to the others who were closest to him.

On this particular day, he was tasked with helping to build a house. The villagers seemed excited by it. From what he had gathered, it was to be home to a new pairing. He could scarcely remember those days from his own life. The intensity and eagerness of youth seemed so far gone, now. But the work gave him something to focus on, and that had improved his mood for the time being. And...he had heard that there might be wine brought out, later. And that, at least, would ease his agitation for one night.

GoblinFae

At'Eed had slept and slept, waking only long enough to guzzle down bowl after bowl of water before slumbering more. For weeks this lasted until she was strong enough to be awake more and longer and with her wakefulness came her stubborn and sassy personality.

True to her word, At'Eed had respected Eln's wishes, going so far as to discreetly explain to others as well that he had his own personal monsters he fought and to give the warrior his berth. Thankfully though as time passed she no longer needed to raise the translation wall of water and instead was left to treat bumped heads and scraped knees more often than the wet sickness that sometimes came with winter.

Currently the village was busy with the future arrival of Heahke's chosen Bride. He and the other men were doing the final touches on his house for her before he marched off to bring her back. Unlike in Eln's case, Heahke had found himself an I'kanan woman from one of the southern villages who everyone knew he had been sweet on for the better part of a year now with how he lingered on his border patrols longer and longer if sent that way. As such the Bride house would not be gaining a new member who required instruction in their ways.

A thrum of anticipation and excitement filled the village like when the six and seven gills prepared before a skirmish. And with the house complete there was nothing for it but to cheer and wave Heahke off with knowing toothy grins.

Across the sand on formerly wobbly little legs, bolted a small toddler as he full force tackled Eln's good leg. "Elm, Elm, up, up!" Perter cried, trying to climb Eln without waiting for assistance. "Is house done? Can Elm play now? Why Elm tall? Where do birdies go when they sleepies? Why can birdies swim but fishies can't fly? Can your horns feel?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]