Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Latent Dream (Summervale) [Cramler] [M]

Started by GoblinFae, March 07, 2024, 04:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering_giraffe, GoblinFae and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

GoblinFae

He started to shake his head and opened his mouth to brush it aside and then stopped. There was a pause as he failed to immediately answer and then when he did it was spoken very calmly and softly.

"I feel guilty for how I've treated you and how I continually blunder into upsetting you. It is not your problem to fix or manage though and I don't want you to worry too much on it. I will sort myself out, I promise."

Theo sighed and motioned for Fletcher to sit if he wanted. "What would you have done if she had been common? Perhaps we can start there."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher's frown deepened. "How you've treated me?" he repeated in honest confusion. "What — better than anyone's treated me in my life? Yeah, it's awful. Truly. I'm really upset, Theo. Can't you tell?" He snorted dismissively and shook his head, opting to cross his arms and lean on the mantle rather than sit. "And I already told you how I'd do it. A honey trap seems straightforward enough in a world with my rules and not yours. Here, though...I dunno. With how everything's gone lately, I'd just as likely make things worse, and I wouldn't see it coming."

GoblinFae

Theo looked to him, his entire expression disbelieving what Fletcher said before sinking into sorrow. Were Theo's blinders really the best anyone had ever treated his bodyguard? Was the man just so happy to have something that he'd accept anything without realizing or acknowledging, perhaps even defending how much the nobleman kept making things harder, more complicated, and worse for him at every turn.

He felt it best to not comment further. "And you said you did not wish to be alone with her nor proceed in this manner. Therefore, we need a different plan. Do you think she actually has someone? Or was she just trying to undermine me? The other question is how badly do we wish to destroy her and her reputation. Because we could utterly destroy her but it would leave her with no future or prospects most likely."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

"Never said it'd be me as bait," Fletch scowled. "If Ash were still around, he'd be bloody perfect for it, you know?" The whiskey eased the pain of the man's memory and he chuckled a little at the thought, but at the sight of Theo's seriousness, he cleared his throat and kept going. "Someone prettier and younger, anyway. Doubt she'd actually go for a wrinkled, eyeless arsehole except to try to grind me under her boot. So it's not off the table if we can find someone else. And...I don't know. I couldn't tell. I know games, but not these games. She wants leverage, that's all I can make of it. And she's willing to stir up trouble to get it. But she's young. She can't be that good at it, Theo — I refuse to believe it. She's got to slip up at some point. So maybe that's your answer: play ignorant, watch, and wait. As for how much you want to burn it all to the ground...well. You know what I'd do. But last time we tried that, it came back to bite someone we cared about, so...tread lightly, I suppose."

GoblinFae

Dark sadness deflated Theodore's shoulders and smothered the light in his eyes. While he had not grown as close to Ash as he was to Fletcher, the loss still deeply grieved him. "Some people just find that attractive," he commented quietly without thinking.

Fletcher blaming himself however did bring Theo's inner fire back to life. "None of that was your fault!" He exclaimed not for the first time. "I was the one that started the bar brawl AND the tantrum in the marketplace. I was the one that set it all ablaze. You just keep being left with the pieces to pick up and try and make sense of. I don't want that to be the case here. I want to work with you not against you, and not just do things myself."

Theo looked over at Fletcher, the corner of his lip caught between his teeth as he hesitated. "...have you still not found a replacement for Ashley yet?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher's ears went hot at that comment. He tilted his chin up and squinted down his nose at Theo, one eyebrow arched as he scrutinized the man. "And some people have a pirate fetish," he opined. "Lucky me."

He was caught off guard, though, as Theo once again fervently insisted that that night at the market was squarely on his shoulders and not Fletcher's. He pushed off from the mantle, crossed arms tightening into a knot. Where Theo's voice had risen, his lowered until it was nearly a whisper. "I promised you nothing would go wrong, and then I was stupid and took you somewhere I shouldn't. Because I wanted a drink, Theo. None of it would have happened if I'd been smart and stuck to the plan."

Fletch groaned and rubbed his face, then shoved the hand back under his bicep. "Can we not do this again? Make everything into an argument? You want to work with me, so...work with me. And...no." He looked to the side, lips pursed. The muscles in his jaw tensed as he ground his teeth and tried to wrest control of himself. "If your dad wants him replaced, he's going to need to wait. Or make Niles do it, I — "

He looked back at Theo. It was unclear whether the redness in his eyes was from drink or lack of sleep or from holding back what he did now. "Can't do it now. Not on top of everything," he finished.

GoblinFae

Had Theo been in a better mood he might have protested that his feelings for Fletcher had nothing to do with pirates and fantasies. However, he simply sighed and allowed the conversation to continue. While he could see how it pained Fletcher to consider a replacement for Ash, he also knew he had to gently push the matter. 

"Jack," he began softly, "I understand how difficult this is. And I understand it is a risk you don't want to take with someone else. However, if I might suggest there is a possibility that someone could be hired who...could fit the role we need played. Someone either known for such a lack of scruples or someone willing to be a co-conspirator. We just don't have the right staff to accomplish this currently...that is of course unless you want to send Dewey into the lioness den," he jested. 
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

"I don't want to bring anyone like that around you," Fletch countered. "I don't want someone sneaky coming in here and acting like Orz, or spreading lies, or...finding you out, you know? Not when you've got to spend a quarter of your time with them. There's no one out there I can think of who'd check the boxes. And if it's someone I don't know, it'll be months after hiring them before I can size them up properly, and — "

He stopped. Uncrossed his arms, and scratched his chin, and began to pace. "No. Wait," he muttered, sinking deeper and deeper into thought, until at last he came up for air and turned back to Theo with the slightest hint of a smirk. "You're going to hate me for this," he said sheepishly. "But...The Siren employs men, if you know how to ask for them. That unscrupulous enough for you?"

GoblinFae

His words shouldn't have sparked a tingle of warmth in his chest at Fletcher's protectiveness. It wasn't as if it was is literal job or anything after all. A part of him wanted to defend that he had managed to keep his sexuality to himself relatively well. But, he also knew when it came to his lead bodyguard, he was becoming very shaky on keeping his true feelings hidden. Niles had already caught them. Tiffany and Bertrand already knew. It was a mess. Fletcher was right. It was best to not let Theo be placed on a sacrificial altar of what if. 

He remained impassive as he processed Fletcher's counter suggestion. A gentleman of the night would certainly Know how to play a part and a good one would understand discretion. Additionally when it was all over and he was summarily fired, he'd very likely have a job to return to; a fact Theodore was relieved regarding given he would feel absolutely guilty over costing someone a job.

"If he consents and you trust his post-matter discretion regarding our involvement then the only issue I imagine is the cost. I highly doubt a guard's position equates to the same hourly wages of...other pursuits. That would be a rather large loss of income unless he can manage balancing supplemental work in the evening. Assuming of course that The Siren lacks client quotas of its...caretakers."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Theo was pragmatic about it. Good. He'd expected jealousy and when everything seemed to turn into arguments with the man, he was grateful not to add this to the list. That didn't change the fact that it was a delicate subject, especially in light of their recent conversation, and Fletch maintained his sheepishness as he replied. "Erm," he chuckled. "Well, I...haven't visited any men there myself, I just...know you can. So it'd take me a minute to assess our options. Not...assess assess. I wouldn't be going there to — I'd just..."

He trailed off and cleared his throat, returning to his usual gruffness. "Anyway, er...give me a week to sort it. I'm sure we could figure out an arrangement. Even taking a pay cut, I'd imagine they all want a bit of a break from time to time, especially if it means being somewhere clean and nice. If not, and you can make up the difference with your allowance, it might be enough. And they're all independent, there. You wouldn't need to worry about a madam or quotas."

Fletcher stopped and squinted suspiciously. "Thought you said you didn't get out much. How'd you know all this?"

GoblinFae

He didn't bat an eye as Fletcher blundered his flustered way through discussing what he knew from secondhand versus personal experience. A small deeply buried secret part of him was smug over the knowledge that Fletcher didn't have firsthand experience. But, this he was quick to mentally smother and keep from getting any hopes up that it had anything to do with him. For all he knew it had to do with his husband and whatever vows or promises they made each other.

"I'll leave it up to you then. My only stipulation to you is that you ensure he understands no one else here is to get swept up in scandal. If he's feeling lonely he can go to town. We don't want Aneisha or one of the maids to end up tossed out as well and I know you will agree with me on that."

Theo bore the squinting without shying away at all. His face was as neutral and impassive as if the topic at hand was how unseasonably dry the winter was and it was the seventh time that day he'd heard it. "I haven't and I don't. But they are citizens of the town as well and their livelihoods and voices matter just as much as the next man or woman's. Or was your concern rather that I might be getting more fun than you? Because the answer is decidedly no I'm not."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletch looked the slightest bit affronted at the idea that he'd drag anyone home who'd get caught up with one of the women. "No. Come on, now, you know me better than that. I'm three for three. I've found good ones so far and that's not about to change, even if he is temporary. And you already know what'll happen to any man gets within a foot of Neish with impure intentions. So don't go acting like I do any of this lightly just because it's where I go to blow off steam."

He paused, jaw clenching again, struggling to come to terms with something and put it into words. "And I have a stipulation, too," he added. "He's not to be expected to fight. He can't be put in danger. If there's an attack on your person for any reason, he runs and hides with the rest of the staff."

His affront returned as Theo made a jab at him, and his eyebrows raised in incredulity. "I dunno, Theo. Do you want me to be concerned?" he asked pointedly. Then he shook his head, both at the idea and at what had just spilled out of his mouth. He let loose a dark little chuckle and shot Theo a cold and devilish grin. "Well, now I'll have brought the brothel to you. Have all the fun you want. I don't care."

GoblinFae

"That isn't what I said. I know you wouldn't and you choose well. I just am stressing that I agree with your choices and that I am not sacrificing their safety for my need to escape this union. That's all I meant."

Theo nodded along in complete agreement with the additional proposed stipulation. "Of course. He'd be here to woo her not to protect me. It's only for show. I don't want it any other way. Can just have him double up with you on days she's here even. Whatever you feel is best really."

He looked away some at the jab, knowing it wasn't uncalled for after his own stings. The grin and coldness paired with the brothel comment hurt deeply. But how could Theo say that wasn't how he wanted his first time to be to a man who clearly was very experienced and had a talent for going for the jugular when slighted? How could he say he was as silly and sad as his books and wanted romance and love-making over paid for intercourse and the fantasy of care? How did he tell him he'd rather go his whole life without than pretend at love?

He couldn't. So he didn't.

But he did wish Fletcher cared. He desperately wanted him to care and yet he just had to be spicy. He just had to push him again and again to get a rise out of him as if being bit back was better affection than the silence, as if the man didn't breathe his care of Theo with every exhale.

"I'm sorry," he said instead. "I did it again." Theo sighed and shook his head. "I don't care if he's the most dashing pirate-looking worker you can find though. I have zero interest. I have nothing against their occupation. I have nothing against those who seek them out," he commented looking Fletcher up and down without judgment. "It just never will be for me. Too many books or something." Theo snorted softly feeling none of the mirth he was trying to portray.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

There was a prolonged silence in which his claws retracted. Little by little, his smirk fell and the tension in his shoulders eased. He remained guarded, though. Distant and analytical. He sized up Theo the way Theo had done to him, wondering what in the hell the man wanted. Wondering why his victory over this pissing contest felt so ugly and hollow. Finally, he uttered a single, dismissive grunt. "Alright. Suit yourself, then. I'll let you know when I've found one," he replied, and dropped his arms to his sides. His cold brevity did not relent, and he found himself in need of another drink. "Are you going anywhere? I think I need a lie down."

GoblinFae

"No...are you unwell?" Theo sat up straighter and stared at Fletcher in concern. "Do you need a shift change or a healer? I'll stay put and not get into trouble but we can send for someone discretely so there's no trouble."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

His eye flashed in annoyance. How did Theo do it? Play innocent like that right after trying to go for the jugular? And how did the man not see how very much he needed to back off right now, before Fletcher bit back again? "I'm fine. Leave it be," he warned, and without another word of explanation he headed for the nanny door.

GoblinFae

He physically shrunk at the look knowing immediately in that moment that Fletcher was not sick. He was furious with Theo who had once again stepped in it. Theodore did nothing to stop the other man and remained still long after the nanny door sent vibrations through the floor at being shut.

How did Theo keep doing this? How did he keep spewing hurt at Fletcher and then expect the man to take it and be alright? How did this man manage to break all of Theo's walls into dust? It left the nobleman scared and raw and hungry for more. He said he would be good. He said he'd behave and not fling himself at Fletcher or beg the man to love him and want him.

But, inside he still wanted him. He wanted his attention, his smiles, his scowls, his embraces, his kisses, his touches. He wanted to feel the rumbles of speech and laughter. He wanted intimacy that was more than just sex, that was love and closeness and warmth and he wanted it with Fletcher in a way he'd never wanted it before. He did not think he could ever want it again with someone else. And how deeply that both scared and exhilarated him.

Theo felt as if he was spiraling into a thousand tiny cracks. That at any minute he was going to explode and shatter and left to pick up the pieces of his heart all over again. Everything was far more complicated this time around. Was it maturity? Or was it the intensity that came with everything that Fletcher was and did? Or was it because it was forbidden? He had walked this path before so why was he so tempted to stumble down it again? He said one thing and did another. It must drive Fletcher insane for it surely was doing it to Theo.

He got up from his chair and paced. From door to door back and forth and back and forth he went. Each step a hammer to his heart. Each step as audible as if it was Fletcher's room he paced in. Theo ran his fingers through his damp hair and shook it out again with a soft growl. 

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Theodore Ransom Archer? Why can't you do anything right?" He bemoaned aloud as he sunk down onto the edge of his bed suddenly feeling so old and broken down. "He deserves so much better than this. I don't understand why he fucking stays when I act like this. I wouldn't stay...," he exhaled. "I would." Theo sighed again sounding even more aggravated and resigned. "Be better, Theodore! Be better. Be better..."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

He shut the door firmly behind him, pulled the flask from his pocket, and downed it. All of it, until the last drop fell on his tongue. And still, like a man dying of thirst, he wanted more. It was never enough these days. It didn't last the way he needed it to, and sooner or later, everything that he'd been desperate to avoid would inevitably creep back and set him off balance. And if it wasn't something within him, it was Theo doing it: reeling him in close until he thought he was safe and then finding the sorest bruise and jabbing at it hard. For what? For fun? For attention? What did he want? Did the man even know?

He paced, anxiously waiting for that fuzzy, hazy warmth to numb this over. His heart beat in his throat, and his nerves felt like fire, and something else burned in him, awakened once again by their latest argument. And he wanted it gone. He needed it to leave. He needed to be aloof and cool-headed and he needed not to care.

Why did he care? He'd said it himself that he didn't. He'd said that if Theo wanted to have a little fun with their newest bodyguard, whomever he may be, that he wouldn't be bothered by it. But he was. He hated it. The thought alone twisted him up inside in a way that it shouldn't have at all. Theo wasn't his. They'd both agreed to leave it be — to back away and not pursue this. So why did he feel so sick at the thought of the man behaving just as freely as he did? Theo didn't get upset when he'd talked about the brothel, after all. The man knew his habits. He knew where he used to go at night.

Oh, but that bothered Fletcher, too. He stopped in his tracks and his eye narrowed at the realization that he'd wanted to see jealousy. He'd hoped for it. He'd instigated this just as much as Theo had, digging for a reaction, looking for a sign that the man wanted him. He scoffed in disbelief. What were they doing? This was madness. Absolute madness. And he wondered if there was even a way out of it, or if they'd simply both been doomed to break and succumb to this siren's call.

It was fortunate that the whiskey had begun to work its magic. He'd found himself wondering. Bargaining. Finding ways around the rules so he could act on his desires. But every path led to pain — his, Theo's, or both. Was there no way forward, after all? Had he condemned himself to an impossible situation, convinced that he could weather it? And if that was the case...why hold back? To keep from hurting Theo a little longer? To keep from hurting himself? He fell backwards on the bed, arms spread wide, and grunted softly as he hit the mattress. He stared up at the ceiling and watched the world begin to spin, willing the booze to sweep through him and cleanse him of this sickness.

And then he heard it: Theo's voice. Theo, talking to himself. Berating himself. Saying Fletcher deserved better. Wanting to do better. And to his surprise, Fletch smiled at the absurdity of it. He laughed quietly and closed his eye. He allowed himself to drift. "What if I don't want you to be better?" he murmured.

In the days that followed, they went back to their careful dance again, stepping gracefully between the pitfalls of their hopes and wants. But he could feel himself slipping. There were moments when he thought the fire in him would sear his insides until it compelled him under the duress of torture to speak it aloud. Each time, the whiskey did less and less to quench it, and when his hands began to shake from the withdrawals, he could no longer deny that he had another, more serious problem. "Turning into you, old man," he said to Ven's memory as he watched his fingers quiver and felt his throat burn for more drink. "Look what you've done to me. We're all bloody hypocrites, now, aren't we?"

But he held it together: every cracked and broken piece of him. If he thought he smelled of whiskey, he'd cover it up with a cigarette. If he began to shake, he excused himself and blamed the cold. He didn't rightly know if anyone could see it. If they did, they didn't tell him, and he preferred it like that. It was none of their damned business, after all. He'd sort it all out eventually. He'd pick himself back up after midwinter, like he'd told himself before, and he'd carry on like nothing happened.

Only...he wasn't sure this time around. He couldn't tell anymore whether he drank to hide from his want of Theo or just to lay Ven and Ash to rest. It all spun together now, each thread inextricable from the twine. And if he didn't know, then he couldn't say for certain that it would get any better in the spring. And then he buried that thought, too, under more whiskey.

He waited through the weekend and chose an off day to visit The Siren. He wanted to do this thing quietly. Correctly. He wanted fewer witnesses — both to this scheme, and to his asking for a man. Still, Lydia gave him one hell of a look when he finally did. "I didn't have you pegged for the type," she snorted. But she sent Fletch along to a room nonetheless, and the man in question entered shortly thereafter.

He was tall. Taller than Theo, even, but certainly not a waifish beanpole. He had light hair that fell to his shoulders, and startling green eyes that could no doubt draw in men and women alike. His tanned skin suggested some southern blood, as did his full lips. Yes. He'd do. He wasn't Fletcher's type, really. He was uncannily good-looking in that shimmery, fairy-like way that the people of this country seemed to find pleasing for some reason. But if Edwina didn't look at him and see stars, then she was blinder than Fletcher's left eye.

"Like what you see?" he asked with an air of supreme confidence.

Fletch chuckled. "For me? No. For the woman I've got in mind? Yeah. Sit down. I've got a proposition for you."

He took some time to consider it — longer than Fletch had anticipated, honestly. But by the third day, delivered in a pretty, perfumed envelope that made Neish do a double take, they had their answer. By the fourth, he'd cleared the new guard with the Baron, and by the fifth, he'd sorted out the new rotation. Now all there was left to do was set the real plan into motion. So at the evening changing of the guard, when the house had quieted for the night, he dismissed Tiff at the door and slipped in with their new honey trap. He approached Theo where the nobleman sat, leaving a respectful distance between them.

"Theo, meet Neal," he began, keeping his voice low. "Neal, this is Theodore Archer. You're going to come to his rescue."

GoblinFae

Time was a strange thing. It moved faster and slower on its own terms. Moments you wanted to last forever were over in a blink. Horrors you wanted to end dragged on for what felt like centuries. Theo and Fletcher bounced back into their rhythms as if nothing had happened between them, as if they didn't love each other, and as if they weren't both pretending that they didn't because they simply couldn't.

His bodyguard left in his day off and Theo pretended not to care. His hands shook and more and more he snuck away to drink and Theo pretended not to notice. But his heart knew, and it bled for him. He was doing this to Fletcher, he was sure of it. Driving a man to drink, how often he had heard his father declare he would. He just never imagined the man would be the one he loved. The thought filled his belly with lead.

Then everything was moving all at once and his apparent savior was sweeping into his bedroom with all of the grace and suaveness of a great big hunting cat. Theo nodded to Fletcher as he got to his own feet to greet the newcomer. His brows raised in surprise to find he was actually shorter and found his eyes sweeping up and down the newest addition with something akin to appreciation.

"A pleasure to meet you, sir," he murmured softly, holding his hand out to shake. "I trust Mr. Daw has explained the parameters of your role? Do you have any questions before we proceed with planning?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Neal took the nobleman's hand in a perfectly soft one of his own and shook it gently. "Enchanted," he replied, eyeing Theo for a moment like he was a client of a different kind. Behind him, Fletcher glared, first at Theo, then at their new bodyguard. But Neal either didn't notice or didn't care. "He did. I must say it sounds like a fun little challenge. Noblewomen usually come to me at the Siren. I don't think I've ever been hired to come to them."

Fletch shifted and crossed his arms, jerking his chin at Theo. "You know her best of all of us. Think she'll like him?" he asked. 

"My dear Jackie, everyone likes me," Neal smirked without taking his eyes off of Theo. "Some people just don't know it yet," he added pointedly. "Don't worry, Mr. Archer. I know what I'm doing. I'll take it slow. Build her...intrigue. As with all happy endings."