Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

where to start?

Started by soniccenturion, April 29, 2013, 09:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soniccenturion

So, I've stumbled onto your wonderful site and find myself interested in joining. I've read alot of the information (though not all of the wiki stuff as some of the links take me to pages without info?) and am now just stuck as to what to make. Usually in this situation I ask people what they need, and so on, but alot of this site isn't like what I'm used to overall. For example, I've hunted all over for a Face Claim though haven't seen one? Am I to assume there isn't one? If so, then I was wondering how I go about claiming a face as I tend to use real actors/actresses since I can't exactly commission an artist for work. Yeah, I guess, I'm just wondering how to start on a character concept here and how to go about asking questions/discussing ideas? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything, sorry!

wolfie

First off welcome to the site! I love seeing new people around. You are right about face claim. I've been on several sites and this one isn't one that has one. I don't know many here use real actors considering this is a fantasy site and we tend to take fantasy characters.

Where to start? Join Form. I suggest clicking on that link for starters. It will help a little in what direction for a character as they have things you can place in there like history.

Now what kind of character do you see yourself playing? This site is really open as to what you can play. Myself I've a Brownie, a couple of humans, and a dragon pretending to be a human. Sprites are fun as well as faes. The limits are endless I know, but it all depends on what you want. Once you have your character up you'll find it easy to find people to write with.

I hope this helps some.

GoblinFae

Welcome!

As wolfie said the joining form is the best place to start with characters. We don't do face claim here we usually just link pictures or ask some of our deviantart members if they would be willing to draw some for us. The only rule though is that you have to credit the artist for their work and/or link back to their site. All you have to do for "face claim" is post a picture of the person in your profile and identify who they are. I have yet to see anyone use the same pictures of people so I'm sure you'll be fine ^_^

If you have plot ideas, check out our plotting center on the forum page. It's a great place to see what people may want or to post what YOU may want to do :). We're friendly and eager to help. We were new ourselves and remember how overwhelming it seemed when we first started so don't hesitate to ask more questions. :)

Another suggestion is to head down to the bottom of the forum page and you'll see our cbox where you can chat in real time with us and possible get started on some plot ideas. :) I hope this helps and look forward to working with you in the future.

Happy writing!

P.S. sorry so much writing >.< I don't mean to further overwhelm!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Rhindeer

Hiya there! 8D And welcome!

Goblin and Wolfie are correct! We don't have a face claim. You can use any image you like that follows our Art Usage Policy. Not too many people use celeb images, but it's not completely unheard of, either. :3 We're very relaxed here and heck, if there is a duplicated image, well...there are so many characters ya probably wouldn't even know it! It's no big deal. ;D

And oh man, ahaha, some of the pages on the wiki are indeed incomplete as we're still sloooowly organizing the information on the site. xD (Basically, we're working in using the webpages as quick, bullet-point overviews--the stuff you need to know to play in a setting--where the wiki will be where all the detailed, in-depth extra stuff is, so it's a gradual transition. Eventually, all the webpages will have bullet-point summaries while the wiki will hold all the extra details. ^^) So if you find a blank wiki page, that's what's up!

As for character types, oh man! I know I would love to see more characters from Essyrn, Thanatos, and Yoreiq! 8D

But yeah! Whip up a character and everyone here will be ready to pounce! xD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Hiiiii soniccenturion!!

Welcome to SOTE :D
*muppet flails*

I don't know what else to say that hasn't been said but... I HOPE YOU HAVE FUN RPING WITH US DURING YOUR TIME HERE AT SOTE

:D

I believe the other lovely members already answered most of your questions, so yeah, don't hesitate to ask any more questions if you got 'em (we're all obviously eager and happy to help!)

-the spice
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

soniccenturion

Thank you all for your kind responses. In terms of FC, I tend to play humans so it's easier to use real life FCs from period movies. I like to use art as well, but I mostly used stuff like Luis Royo, etc, but I don't think it'll ever happen that I'll get permission from him to use one of his pieces for example xD But I was moreso worried about using one that someone else has really, but it's not a large concern.

Anywho, as to what to make. . . that is definitely where I'm having the most trouble. I'm really torn in regards to what area. I do like playing medical types who aim to advance things medicine wise - ie who do autopsies to study human anatomy, and so on, but I thought some kind of researcher/wanderer type that searches for knowledge to expand stuff in terms of "science" would be fun too. I just don't know where either of those types would best fit. I've also played many other roles over the years from soldier to healer(magical) to courtesan, and so on, but again - mostly human. I thought I might step outside the human aspect, and perhaps try my hand at a Vampire again, but also don't know your rules on them or where they're from and so I thought I'd look at races/species created for your SL too though not much info in that regard. Perhaps someone can give me some ideas/answers in terms of that stuff since I understand ya'll are still working on your information (and trust me, I completely understand how revamping the way info is provided goes).

I guess, I'm failing here is the gist of it. I'm sure having a cold isn't helping my thought process. I must admit that Mordecai in Thanatos look interesting, but so do a bunch of other options. Usually in this case I also inquire as to if anyone has a character they want for one of their characters? I take wanteds as well xD

wolfie

I understand its a lot to think about what to do and all. I usually head for the join form and just write out what first comes to me. I only do that because ones first instincts are usually best for them in this.

If I had to guess on yours I'd say a wandering Vampire from Mordecai. It's just a hunch, but that is what I saw. This Vampire could be a healer of sorts. That would be interesting. Why just have one character by the way? If more than one option feels right why not create more than one?

soniccenturion

Well, I'd like one character to start out so I can get my foot in the world and don't become overwhelmed. Also, is Mordecai a place? I thought it was a magic ability of sorts?

wolfie

I meant Thanatos as the place. Just showing my tired brain. Sorry.

I can see how you would want to start with just one and then branch out. What is the one idea that stands out the most or feels the best when thinking of what character to make? What is the most comfortable for you to write? That is where I would start and go from there.