Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Magic, Monsters and The Gods! (SoTE lore buffs required)

Started by Cronowind, April 04, 2014, 02:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronowind

Hello everyone, I am very curious about this World and I am tempted to join, but I must confess I have some questions based on the setting that reading the background information that I have found.

Magic!

Magic is fun, colourful to role play and it allows for all kinds of stories to be told. I am aware that members can come up with their own forms of magic, but I am curious as to the extent of magics ability. I ask this because I want to make a character that fits with the setting. Standard magic is fun, its stuff like throwing balls of fire or making people fly.

Greater magic involves power that can change politics of countries. A wizard at their pinnacle of power can destroy entire buildings with enough focus on doing so. Stuff like summoning falling rocks from the sky and blizzards which coat entire blocks of a town in frost.

Epic magic is something only a handful of people on an entire world could do, but those specific people can change global politics. Epic magic can literally change the dynamic of a world. A single person could change the direction of a war by turning the tide of an entire battle by himself.
(An example of this is cutting a mountain off the face of the world, making it float up into the sky, and building a flying city out of it.)

I've not had a chance to go over many other characters, so I was curious about the general ability of those gifted with magic. In short, is there limitations to what powerful wizards can do? For designing my character.

Monsters!

Monsters! Everyone who likes action plots loves a good monster. I've noticed a few monsters in the bestiary, along with a nasty one that can suppress magic. I assume players are free to create their own monsters, my question isn't about that. My question is how much sway do monsters have in the world?

In some settings there is a reason why cities are built with walls, and have guards manning them. Its because something hungry and nasty might make a snack out of normal people without that sort of protection. How often are monsters around in the wilds?

A good method of understanding this is travel. Do merchants who travel the lands go in heavily armed caravans because they know monsters are out there? Or do they travel light because monster attacks are more rare?

The Gods!

The most important question I have is concerning the gods. I have done reading on the background and I will be using Inima as my example around my question. My question is annoyingly complex for how simple it is.

Are the gods "Real?"

I say this because the debate if the gods are real in character is always a fun one. But in a fantasy setting the gods have uses. My example is this.

A demon of death, decay and rot  is summoned by a wizard and approaches a town in Thanatos. This creature stands for the destruction of souls and everything the god hates. The people call to a priest of Inima and the priest calls upon her goddess to protect the town. The demon then has three potentials.

A: Explode from Inima's wrath being channeled through the priest into the demon.

B: Explode from the magical essence of the priest, and the question if it was the god is unanswered.

C: The demon giggles a little at the priest before devouring the poor sod.

Or is it something else? Is it public knowledge that priests can do some pretty cool feats.

Thank you for your time! Answers to these questions will help define how my characters interact with the world!

GoblinFae

A side note GREAT USERNAME!

Now to answer your questions:

1) For magic you're allowed to make your character as powerful as you want as long as they're not a god character as that kind of messes with the site's established gods. You could always make a character that thinks they are a god though. The way I look at magic though is to give some limitations otherwise it's not as much fun to play against an omnipotent unbeatable character. If you were looking to make a character ACTUALLY move a mountain into the sky (I know that was just an example) then that would be something you would want to address with an admin first simply because it affects the map and many of the people in the world. However having a character that powerful IS permitted, it's just a matter of not breaking the site and the world :)

2) For monsters I really feel that depends on the person and the place. There is a big difference between going on a main road where you are likely to encounter trouble versus going through Draconi Forest or the Kilanthro Mountains. These places I feel would be even more perilous. I know that personally I have been working on a write up for a nasty little group of beasties in the tundra. But, you are more than welcome to create more beasties either in thread or even for the whole site to use. We're open sandbox RP so we're really open to trying new things as long as the world isn't completely destroyed. :)

3) I'm sure there are people that DO question the power of the canon gods however completely uprooting/replacing them is not generally a good thing (not saying this is what you were after). But I personally would view the choices up to the player. If you have a logical explanation for it then it could work. Perhaps the demon eats the priest because he was not a true believer or the goddess had forsaken them for some reason. As a rule I think the general populace needs to continue to believe in their deity but individuals can do as they choose.

If you have any other questions or need clarification just ask! Welcome to SotE and happy writing!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Tak

GODS ARE SUPERIOR!

No-one questions their might! Demons stand no chance!
They are real! They are the best! I have three of them!

In all seriousness, pretty much the only way to beat a major god is to get a better major god.
Minor gods, on the other hand, are arguable.

*runs around chanting about the power of the gods*

Cronowind

Thank you for your answers. It has helped me understand in more detail. I should go over what I meant by the gods in more detail. Based off of my history in previous settings. For question three. The reason I asked is because I needed to know for Faith Based characters, and characters who worship anything that aren't the canon. Mainly for these two reasons!

Divine Interaction!

The reason I ask is because of divine magic, or divine favors. Okay, so the gods are real. Awesome, they have all kinds of things they do. But do the gods... talk to each other in their celestial bodies? Like would  Inima and Ansgar wage a proxy war on Earth with human priests as pawns? After all, Inima focuses on life and rebirth, whereas Ansgar focuses on killing people who use magic.  Or are divine conflicts kept out of human ears since our PC's are so far below their notice.

This changes interactions because if there is. Characters of mine might be hostile to others because of their religion.

Another reason I ask this is because I am curious. Do the gods protect the world from outside influence?  A zero tolerance policy is something i could follow, but it also limits. But it can make for a stronger continuity. My rp generally involves Outside powers, and Interloper powers. Interloper powers basically means... Gods that come from the far realms and seek a foothold on earth. But don't belong. (I basically rp this to explain why all the demi-gods are around) These gods allow cultists to have a wide range of powers, where was a priest of Inima may be focused on life magic. Would the canon gods (having the strongest connection to the world) allow these creatures?

And then there are outside powers. And let me tell you, I can say for certain the gods would not allow them in. But perhaps their whispers reach the ears of some mortals. And these mortals want to find ways for them to come into earth. They look a little something like this.

Gods bound by Rules?

Alright the meat and potato part of my question. Are the gods bound by rules. Why might the gods be bound by rules? Because a misuse of gods can stop a story right in its tracks. Like... are the gods bound not to directly interfere with mortals? That is a popular one. They can send magic to mortals, but they can never physically manifest. This could be by the nature of what they are. They have too much power to compare to interloper gods, who must take a form. They cannot, but can grant magic to people all over the world. Answer prayers without directly taking action.

Personally, I view gods as a literary device. Not as player characters (but demigods/godlings can be) and should be handled with care. But worshipers of gods are -always- fun to play with. Anyway...

SoTE lore buffs! Give me your opinions. All of your opinions!

Rhindeer

Basically, I would treat the canon deities of SotE the same way as deities in our world. 8D

They will never come into IC play at all as actual characters or NPCs. There may be people who believe they have seen them/interacted with them/etc, but no one can actually verify if that's true or not. It's a great mystery! Just as there are people who in our world believe they have directly communed with their deity of choice, but it's not really something that can be objectively proven. Of course, in this world there is magic, and characters may have all manner of belief as to what the source of their magic is. And of course, there's holy magic, which is a magic of creation, justice, and protection, and a character may pray to their god to draw their magic--but whether or not their god is actually GIVING them that magic is a mystery! 8D They can certainly believe that's what's happening! Heck, it may even be what's actually happening! Who knows!

In short, who even knows what Ansgar and Inima and Hakeshna and Kia and the others are up to, or if they even objectively exist. xD They'll never directly interact with SotE's world. They exist like the gods of our world's religions exist. They might be totally real! They might not! There's no way to ever know, but that's why it's called belief. :3
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tak

Pretty much what Rhi said.
Angsar probably doesn't even exist, but others sure do. There are also some other pantheons. If you made the god, then go wild with what they accept. About the handshaking gods, the main pantheon does. Yeah...

More god questions please!

Brisinger987

*chimes in*

I personally find that the whole god thing is best kept compartmentalised, or all-acknowledging. Acknowledging the existence of all pantheons that can and will be created by "mentioning" the main ones is a good way to do it.

For example: my demon character Kirnardaz did have plans to destroy the world, and devour the very gods themselves. And instead of trying to work to different pantheons and ignore the others, I generalised, and focused on pantheons I had made and the canon ones.

e.g. (The following is completely fictional even for IC) "Angsar has fallen, and so shall every god taking watch of this realm" or "Kia will bow to my will, and so shall all the gods that stand in my way"

Compartmentalising it is good too, before gods were a no-no for me, I always found the idea of two gods who have the same powers meeting and being all like "But, I'm the only thunder god?"

Tak

Quote from: Brisinger987 on April 22, 2014, 12:49:34 PM
*chimes in*

I personally find that the whole god thing is best kept compartmentalised, or all-acknowledging. Acknowledging the existence of all pantheons that can and will be created by "mentioning" the main ones is a good way to do it.

For example: my demon character Kirnardaz did have plans to destroy the world, and devour the very gods themselves. And instead of trying to work to different pantheons and ignore the others, I generalised, and focused on pantheons I had made and the canon ones.

e.g. (The following is completely fictional even for IC) "Angsar has fallen, and so shall every god taking watch of this realm" or "Kia will bow to my will, and so shall all the gods that stand in my way"

Compartmentalising it is good too, before gods were a no-no for me, I always found the idea of two gods who have the same powers meeting and being all like "But, I'm the only thunder god?"

That last bit could be answered by different gods appearing to different people, and then the people call the  something. Baihua has trillions of names from all the civilisations and cultures he has visited around the Multiverse... not an understatement. However, since he hasn't visited all of them in a while, they may now think he is a wolf or a creature that looks like a lion that is native or a man with a white lion head or vice versa. There is a lot of misinterpretation.

Despite this, there are still separate pantheons, all of which (may) exist.

appleyard

Reader's note, I'm doing this through a screen-reader, and so things are a bit different for me, than those using a traditional GYI, so please bare with me. Corrections are of course welcome.

That said, here are my questions: (1) Do Fay exist? By this I mean fairies, etc. (2) Do they live on a different plan, or on the same as everyone else? (3) Lastly, can they bread with humans? I desire to know, as said answers will influence my character concept. I appreciate in advance, thank you.   

Brisinger987

Yes, they do exist, they exist in the same plane as humans, and they can breed with humans, Serenians are weak to iron due to the fey blood in them!

Tak

pretty much what Brisinger said.

Also, Fae (not fay) magic only works on mortals, not gods or demons. Practically anything can breed with anything here and make fertile offspring.

Zane

Quote from: Tak on May 22, 2014, 06:18:52 PM
pretty much what Brisinger said.

Also, Fae (not fay) magic only works on mortals, not gods or demons. Practically anything can breed with anything here and make fertile offspring.

Fay is the same as Fae, both words refer to the same thing. If you really wanna get technical, the popular classifications of the fair folk are Fae (seelie and unseelie), Elves, and Fairies. But then again, since we are free form. It is up to the person to define their own classifications and differences. A generalization of all Fae/Elf/Fairy kind is most commonly called the Fair Folk.

Cronowind

Cool Beans: But its time for another one of Cronowinds Obnoxiously long and difficult questions!

The Planes!

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I give to you the question that has been bugging me for a long time. Earth. What lays outside earth, in a dimensional sense as well as physical sense. Does earth float in an empty void save for space, stars and planets?

Does earth hang from a dimension-spanning tree, as the fruit of its branches. Connected to the realms of spirit and magic?

Is Earth connected to the Multiverse. There are certainly enough grandfathered in characters from other worlds to allow for that, or are they more sort of hush hush, wink wink sort of situations.

I bring this up because in my mind, it effects magic. Elemental magic, may come from a place where the elements rule. Beings made out of fire, earth, water and wind wage war. Faeries and Fae, where do they come from? Are they native to earth, or do they come from another world to earth? Can you go to the spirit world?

What of Heaven and Hell? I'm not asking this in a religious sense. The fact is, people roleplay demons in Earth. Where do they come from? Do those who do not worship a god become a demon after death and years of torture in the pits?

What about the Shadow Realms? The place where Dark spirits live? Is it a dark and dreary place?

I guess the short answer is: In my threads they will be. I do have creative license, but there is a fine line between -creating- lore for the world, and breaking the lore. After all, if I have my way. All of these places are real.  Its not possible for the vast majority to know about this sort of thing, but it is possible to go there with strong enough magics.

Adventurers sneaking into the gates of heaven to steal knowledge of the realms.
A lover going to the depths of hell to save his beloveds soul.
A friend has had a precious item stolen by a pixie who fled to the land of the faeries, and he has to get it back.

These are the sort of things I will create, but then again. Before I start to create these demi-planes of reality that are connected to earth. I should probably check xD

Tak

Whatever you want it exists, pretty much.

Since there are aliens, I'd say it's like Earth, but you can change this.