Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Latent Dream (Summervale) [Cramler] [M]

Started by GoblinFae, March 07, 2024, 04:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

The thumps had certainly gotten Theo's attention as well as Stephens who stood staring at the nanny door in wary concern. The man jumped when the main door opened instead and Fletcher came in. While he eyed the main bodyguard he could not help but hesitate with his dismissal. "Is there anything more you'll be needing, Young Master?" He asked, his eyes never leaving the bodyguard. 

"Go ahead, Stephens. Mr. Daw is here to take over."

Stephens lingered a moment more, eyeing them both before making his exit and closing the door. Once he was gone, Theo quietly and slowly closed his book, got up from his chair, and turned it so that it sat directly beside rather than opposite Fletcher. With a clear view of the door he retook his seat and reopened his book to read.

The bandaged hand did not go unnoticed but nor did the stiffness of his posture and movements. Everything Fletcher did seemed calculated and measured rather than his usual fluidity. With their chairs close together Theo was able to rest his forearm against the other man's, offering silent comfort and strength. The pages of his book quietly turned with only the soft rustle of fingers upon paper disrupting the silence.

It was some time before Theodore finally spook and looked up to see Fletcher's answer. "Is it broken? Your hand?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletch didn't jump at the touch, but he did release his hawk's focus on the floor to side-eye the man's arm. He'd be lying if he said it didn't steady him, but...over and over again, he thought of the Baron entering this room without knocking. Of how one of the only places where it was safe to let his guard down wasn't that safe at all. He was back in that old house. No — back on the ship, his four walls made of water, trapped in the cage with the lion. There was nowhere to run.

He drew breath, and even that sound was deafening. "You shouldn't do that," he said in a voice so quiet that only he could possibly hear it. Slowly, carefully, he lifted his arm and set it in his lap. The look he gave Theo was a mask that failed to conceal his terror and rage and pain. It was an apology and a plea all at once.

"Hand's fine," he muttered. "I've done worse to it."

GoblinFae

With that single look, Theo knew that the reality of the cage the nobleman lived in had finally materialized for Fletcher. He gave an understanding nod while allowing the other man to retreat. All walls had ears. All doors lacked locks. All windows let in endless sunshine and fresh air but no freedom. 

"That wasn't what I asked," he replied softly, turning a page without having read it. "Do you want to talk about it or would you rather I sit quietly and let you drink your coffee? Or do you need to go down to the training grounds to let off some energy?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

Talk? Talking was the last thing he wanted. So was coffee, after that fuck-awful bourbon on an empty stomach. He couldn't see how he was going to make it a full day with this stewing inside of him. Already, the Baron's voice had become his father's, and the ice in his gut had turned to acid. Sitting and seething wasn't an option. He had to —

" — go down to the training grounds to let off some energy?"

Fletcher glanced over at Theo again. The man was trying to help. Trying to be nice. Normally, Fletch hated nice. He didn't trust it. But he'd known Theo long enough now to understand that this was genuine. Whatever the Baron had said about his son's proclivity to lie, Fletch knew for a fact that Theo only ever strove to be good. To be honest. To see people for who they were.

And right now, he seemed to sense exactly what was needed.

"Yeah. That," Fletch said. He set his coffee aside and stood. Hands clasped behind his back, posture just as stiff as before, he waited worthlessly for Theo to set his book aside and gather himself for a walk. He allowed the man to go first down the stairs, lest it appear that he led Theo anywhere as opposed to guarding him. All the while, he kept an ear perked for the Baron and Baroness. It was fortunate for everyone involved that neither of them materialized.

Then, in another ear-ringing blur, they were at the grounds. It was cold. It was always so bloody cold, here. It was worse when he removed his coat and rolled his sleeves up to box. But the crisp air slapped him awake in a way that so much coffee hadn't. And somehow, it tempered the thing that burned in him to be released.

Without so much as a look at Theo, he chose a straw dummy and unleashed that fury. Every stinging, aching right hook was an unspoken retort to a monster made of Theo's father and his own. He was quiet enough at first, but for the grunts and breaths that accompanied a flying fist. By the time he'd burned through the rage and thrown one final punch, it crescendoed into an anguished roar. "Fuck!" he cried, and stood heaving before the dummy, clutching his fist.

GoblinFae

Every punch thrown was a blow Theodore wished he himself was unleashing. He stood as a silent observer to the fury and anguish his friend was tearing himself apart to release. In the dummy he didn't see straw and twine. Theo saw the face of a driver, a lover, a mother, a father. He saw Orz with his big mouth and all the vile things he had spoke about others. He saw Elijah and the look of disappointment and grief as he'd turn his back on him. He saw his mother, red-faced and fanning herself as she sobbed about her poor nerves for simply not getting her way. He saw his father and the look of sheer disgust at discovering his son kissing another man, before he boxed him into a physical, financial, and emotional corner. Punch after punch after punch and it felt as if it were his own fists colliding with flesh.

Theo did nothing to interfere until Fletcher finally came to a screaming halt. The nobleman gave wide berth as he approached from the man's sighted side. "The basilisk paralyzes us all within his gaze," he murmured softly. "And he coils ever tighter around that which he concerns prey. I know. Will you allow me to look at your hand at least before you return to your...exercise?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher stewed in it for a while longer, massaging his knuckles and glowering at the sand beneath his feet. At Theo's words, however, the walls dropped. He scoffed and shot the man an exasperated look. "What, you're a fucking poet, now?" He flexed his fingers in and out, testing for whether he had, in fact, caused any serious damage. But he seemed to have avoided the worst. He straightened and clasped his hands behind his back and stood there still but for his heaving chest and the occasional shiver. "I can take care of it, sir," he insisted. "It's nothing."

GoblinFae

Theo scowled at the teasing and muttered under his breath. "Not here." He peered with keen eyes at the way the man flexed his hand before hiding it away, yet still shivered in the cold as sweat chilled in the crisp, autumn air. "If you allow yourself to get hurt or sick who will protect me then? You haven't trained me yet to defend myself after all. Go take care of it and dry off. That's an order."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletch breathed out a quiet little laugh. "Begging your pardon, sir, but as I've just been reminded, you're not the one I answer to. I said I'll take care of it, and I will." He turned back to the dummy and resumed his stance. His strikes now were more controlled, though his exhaustion still made for sloppy work. "As for defending you," he added in between blows and breaths, "why don't — you try — the three other men — who'll be taking up — guarding — your prison."

He stepped away again, puffing and pacing and holding his fist. It took him a moment to look Theo in the eye. "Tighter rotations," he said. "No more privacy for you. And that's after bargaining."

GoblinFae

"Mm so you're right. I will do my best to keep that in mind in the future to not put you in such a difficult position." Theo moved so that he was standing adjacent to the dummy so as to be able to still see Fletcher's mouth as he unleashed more rage. "Person," he corrected. "And while I indeed will learn from the other guards as well, I do not know yet whether I would be safe should a training accident occur. I have seen you spar. As the head of the guard here, I know you are more likely to be more in control."

He was unbothered by the news. It was as if it was nothing new to him, and truth be told it wasn't. Every little thing Theo did that was deemed inappropriate or out of line was retaliated with a loss of 'privileges' and a tightening of the leash. More guards, more rotations, less privacy, less free-time: this was all hardly the first time this had happened. He knew well enough how to sit pretty in his cage and wait out the physically painless beatings to his morale until which time they were once more lifted.

For Fletcher it must have seemed so utterly hopeless and soul-crushing. For Theodore it was just your typical Tuesday. "I can only imagine what you sacrificed to make it that lenient. Thank you then for your considerations."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletch scoffed. Truthfully, he couldn't tell if Theo was being sarcastic or earnest. Surely the man didn't actually feel thankful towards his keeper. He glanced around them and scratched the back of his head before rounding on his friend. "You serious?" he asked as he struggled to keep his voice from rising. "What I sacrificed? I've sacrificed fuck all, sir. That's the point. All I've done is make it worse." He released a long, deep sigh as he backed himself down off that ledge, shook his hands out, and turned back to the dummy. He couldn't direct this at Theo. This wasn't Theo's fault.

GoblinFae

"As the grave, Mr. Daw. As the grave." Theo shrugged, his hands clasped behind his back as he came around to look at the dummy. He reached out to lightly punch the straw, feeling the resistance and shaking his hand out slightly after as even that stung.

"You didn't make it worse. As I've mentioned previously there are ebbs and flows to things here. But I am..." Theo paused to glance carefully around to make sure no one was in the area as he did a slow turn in place. "Very sorry for the things he likely said to you. The fact he even told you plans is good. It means he doesn't suspect you and does trust you as far as he could trust the help that is." 

Theodore grimaced and shook his head. "He's a basilisk: appears harmless, slow, and old but just as viscous as he slowly coils tight around you. The contempt for someone like me is always boiling just beneath the surface. And if not me, then..." he flipped his hand as he trailed off. "The longer I behave, the more people I come to care about, the more necessary it becomes to continue to behave. Round and round we go in this endless cycle. And now you fully understand why the door is open to you. I respect you too much to heel you here."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Even as wound up as he was, he listened carefully to all that Theo had to tell him. It seemed imperative, now. He couldn't just lay around and assume it was all some joke. He had to take this seriously. This wasn't his world, and he would always harbor irreverence for it. But it was Theo's. And he was sharp, and observant, and he knew how to navigate this place. And on that, Fletcher would depend.

Still, as the man insisted for the fiftieth time that he cut and run, he stopped boxing and raised his eyebrows in warning. "I'm not leaving. That's not an option. I don't want to hear it again." He backed away and paced a little more and rubbed his jaw as he processed it all. The Baron trusted him. He had a say over the new guards. He had an advisor who could tell him what to say and how to act. And he was free to leave at night, ostensibly to drink and whore. All of these granted him an advantage. In his current state, he just couldn't quite see the path through it all. Maybe Theo was right. Maybe he just needed sleep. In the morning, it would come to him.

He turned back to his friend, suddenly spent and sagging under his own weight. "I'm done here," he said. "Go about your day and I'll follow."

GoblinFae

He raised both hands in unspoken surrender. "Understood. Won't happen again." Theo rubbed at his eyes, trying desperately to decide what to do next. He was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to just crawl into bed and sleep for a thousand years. 

Yet, on the other hand, he didn't think it fair either to take a nap and torture Fletcher with watching him sleep when the man was equally if not more miserable. Add to that having a man in his room while he slept was just begging for his father to come barreling in and start assuming untrue things when they had only just proved that Fletcher was considered trusted.

"After the events and shock of today I think Mr. Daw I would very much like to retire to my room. If you have other tasks already on your plate from the Baron then I would prefer Stephens to replace you. He at least can quietly entertain himself without asking too many questions on what I'm reading."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher's neck jerked in unconscious recoil. It was rare that Theo didn't want him there — rare enough that the request seemed more like a slap. To be left alone with this right after it had happened...well. He dreaded it. He just hadn't known that until now. His eye darted back and forth before focusing back on Theo. His shoulders fell as he resigned himself to being left with silence and his own swirling thoughts. "Fine. I'll escort you to your room," he replied, and strode to retrieve his coat.

GoblinFae

Theo's brows scrunched in confused concern. That had not been the reaction he had been expecting from Fletcher. The man looked like he had physically thrown a fist...again. Still, he held his tongue as they trudged back inside and up to his room. In his doorway though he paused, mulling over something before working up the calm to speak. 

"Before you tend to your duties and switch my guard for the afternoon would you be so kind as to recheck the balcony for me?"

Without waiting for an answer, he held the door open and scooted further from the door to be fully in the room and by the balcony doors. Once he felt they were safer from being overheard he whispered, "are you just exhausted from everything or have I done something wrong? Or...," he lowered his voice further, "was Stephens a poor replacement for while you rest?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Back into the house, hands behind his back, stiff and proper as you please — until Theo asked him to 'secure the balcony.' It was bullshit, of course. Fletcher frowned, now wholly confused by this wrench thrown in a very simple request to leave the man alone. And at Theo's questions, that confusion only grew. Was he playing games? "I'm too tired for this," Fletch muttered, unable to keep his irritation out of his tone. "Make up your mind, please, sir."

GoblinFae

He could see from the drawn lines of Fletchers face, the irritation in his eye, and the tension lines that ran like steel through his body. What Theo could not understand though was how he had managed to upset his bodyguard and how he was coming off wishy-washy. 

"I don't—I'm not...I do not mean to make you feel like I am tugging you back and forth. I'm afraid I don't understand what confusion I've caused. When I suggested that you take the afternoon off to rest you looked like I slapped you. Have I said something out of line? Or was it suggesting Stephens while you rest? Or has my father said something more that you haven't been able to tell me? I just...I'm sorry I know you're as exhausted as I am and I just don't...I don't know what I've done this time."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Had he been that obvious? His anxiety redoubled. Today would be a bad day indeed if he couldn't get a grip on his own tells. He glanced worriedly at the door, then back at Theo. He reminded himself that none of this was the man's fault, and his expression softened again. "It's none of that. Don't worry about it. I think I'm just...not at my best, sir. But...you're probably right that we should both get some shut eye. I'll go get him."

He lingered a few seconds more before giving Theo a curt nod and slipping out the door without another word. A minute later, a confused Stephens now once again assigned babysitting duty, Fletcher returned to his own room and flopped listlessly down on the bed. As silence fell, thoughts of his father crept in from the shadows. He'd known they would. Had he been rested, he might have been ready for them. Today, he wasn't, and as he curled around himself and closed his eyes, the scars across his back stretched taut: an enduring reminder of the man who'd made him.

Autumn passed them by in a blur, every day of it a perfectly exhausting dance of rules and appearances and propriety. Fletcher could feel it all wearing on him now, grinding him into the dirt beneath a boot heel until his skin was raw and bruised. More and more, he retreated in the evenings to a nightcap of too much whiskey. During the day, he was quiet and formal and sullen. Indeed, it seemed that the man who'd arrived here half a year past with laughter in his eye and biting wit behind every word had faded away that morning in the Baron's study.

It wasn't to say that he didn't still calculate and plan and plot. This much was a habit that might never die. In spite of Theo's wishes, he'd begun to sniff around for traces of Elijah. The new driver and additional guards he'd carefully vetted for a rare combination of competence, discretion, and a particular softness. And twice a week, he pushed Theo out into the bitter cold for combat training — though the man was so shockingly uncoordinated that he quickly reeled it back to working on his strength and the basics of keeping one's balance. The only savior to his dwindling patience in this regard was the coat that the man had gifted him: a warm and glorious thing, charcoal gray, with a shock of vermilion lining. It was possibly the nicest thing he'd ever owned — though, true to his usual acerbity, he refused to wear it without first informing Theo that it made him look like an absolute fop. But he did wear it. And he was secretly thankful to be warm.

In spite of it, as winter drew closer, and with it the second anniversary of a moment he desperately wished to forget, Fletch grew more and more ill-tempered. He'd gone so far as to ask Aneisha to stow Ven's cloak somewhere safe so that he didn't have to smell the damned thing. Yet the memory continued to intrude: that pale and lovely face, lips blue and glassy eyes unblinking, held still warm in his shaking hands. It haunted him day and night, now, weaving in between those reminders of his father's voice and his father's cruelty. His only reprieve was at the bottom of a bottle. And so he drank, and he fell deeper into that pit of a prison: a distant husk of a man and a far cry from friend to Theo.

GoblinFae

The colder days and longer nights created a numbness that seemed to chill Theodore deeper than bone. This time of year was already difficult before with less and less opportunities for him to leave the house. Soon winter would be in full bloom and he would be trapped inside until the coming spring with no lessons to distract him from how narrow the bars of his cage truly were. The new guards and routines became normal very quickly for him and true to his reassurances to Fletcher, the Baron had allowed the bodyguard to manage things and to loosen the leash ever so slightly without further repercussions.

His spark was dwindling again, having been ignited into a warm flame on the night of their grand adventure, it now barely kept alive. Theo had retreated into quiet politeness. It did not help matters that the only time he truly got to interact with his friend was when they were training. Otherwise, Fletcher has all but retreated and the silence had grown longer and deeper between them. The other man had said he had done nothing wrong and yet, Theo still could see something was eating him alive. Perhaps it was the kiss after all. He really had overstepped the boundaries of friendship with that. Or perhaps it was resentment for remaining in the cage Theo had warned him repeatedly about. The nobleman found himself too afraid to ask and yet hesitating before their conjoined door most nights all the same. He wanted to help and yet all he could do was stand as silent witness until the other man reached back for him.

Such thoughts distracted him though and he hit the ground hard again. Theo laid in the sand, trying to catch his breath as a breeze chilled the sweat on his brow. How long had they been at this and he still could not improve? It meant nothing that he could read what would happen next when his own body was too slow and out of sync to react in time. It was useless. If there ever was an attack, Theodore was going to get everyone injured or worse because they'd be too busy trying to help him rather than themselves. If anything he was more likely to be the one to land a blow on them than the enemy.

His muscles were screaming and his bruises felt like they had bruises. This was pointless and yet Fletcher still worked him with patient persistence. Theo wished they could just go back to talking instead. He missed what he had had and felt deep regret for getting greedy and trying to have a confidant. If he had just kept his mouth shut, his hands to himself, his emotions in check none of this would have spiraled out this way. But, what could he do? This was the nature of his cage. He could sit inside, pretty and quiet and only wait for others to leave as they grew bored with it.

"It's hopeless," he groaned. "Give me a century and I'll still be a mess."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher stood, hands on his hips, head cocked ever so slightly in subtle impatience as he looked down at the nobleman. Theo was right: he wasn't improving nearly as fast as he'd expected. Granted, Fletch hadn't instructed anyone in combat in a good six years, but still, he'd never seen someone this slow in learning the basics. Or this uncoordinated, or this weak — though Theo did show some promise there as his strength improved.

But, stubborn ass that he was, Fletch wasn't going to let the man quit after a few months. If he did, there would be even less to do over the winter, and anything fun or interesting was in critically short supply at the moment. "No, it's not," he grunted. "If your mum wasn't...your mum, I swear we'd have this by now. Twice a week isn't doing it." He sighed and grumbled under his breath, then added uselessly for the millionth time: "If they'd let me bring you sailing on one of their ships, you'd figure it out quick. Right. Come on. Up you get, Pretty Boy. Break's over."